Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending World Series Champion San Francisco Giants 2011 Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Yikes, what a victory today. Panda with three more hits to now bat .440 <knocking wood> and Rowand almost hits it out to win the game in the 12th. MORE TORTURE!!
    Hey! I thought we agreed that you were not allowed to talk about the Panda's hitting this season after you hexed him last season?!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

If tonight is what occurs when Panda is talked about, may I quote Joan Rivers: discuss amongst yourselves. Please. And keep doing so!

I'm starting to get a pleasant little funny feeling about this next stretch, it's back to the days of Roger Craig and humm baby. Fine days to come, sez I.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Hey! I thought we agreed that you were not allowed to talk about the Panda's hitting this season after you hexed him last season?!
    Wags, I did knock wood. What you didn't see was that I also threw some salt over my left shoulder and I sacrificed a live chicken. And it's evidently working so far! Here's to the Panda carrying the team for a while.
    Last edited by KHenry14; 04-16-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Wags, I did knock wood. What you didn't see was that I also threw some salt over my left shoulder and I sacrificed a live chicken. And it's evidently working so far! Here's to the Panda carrying the team for a while.
    Ok, that's better. Panda is raking right now. <=====I've always wanted to use this smilie.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 04-16-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

It's about time for Belt to break out. Mayhap he'll do so on a regular basis, and particularly shine every 5th day, becoming Zito's designated offensive secret weapon...

Boy, another strong start at Coors Field. Jon Sanchez wasn't as dominating, but he was very effective. Pitching with a 4 run lead into the bottom of the 1st will do that I suppose! But limiting that team to three hits at their yard, ya gotta love that. Cainer up next...
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Just checked the scoreboard. Oh dear.

Cain just didn't have it today.

Ah knows it, and Ah fer one jes' cain't b'leve it. (No, I couldn't resist, and yes, I think I'm a lot funnier than I really am).

First time in a hell of a long time. Was expecting a sweep with him on the mound, but will take two out of three for sure. Nice to go in their yard and hit them in the nose after their hot start.

the big men are set to employ a four-man rotation: bumgarner, lincecum and sanchez this friday - sunday at home against the braves.

vogelsong might get a start in pittsburgh (26-28 april).
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Is Belt going down now a good thing? I tend to think so, given that he can be called up again in a month, once he's got his confidence back (he seemed to be slowly losing it, pressure of sub-Mendoza BA and the like). Is there a limit on how many "bounces" he gets before some "out" clause or other kicks in? Thoughts?

Big one today, and the starters remind me of a scene from Python's Holy Grail, something along the lines of:

"what sort of man are you, that can summon fire without benefit of flint, or tinder?"
    "there are those who call me... Tim."

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    Big one today, and the starters remind me of a scene from Python's Holy Grail, something along the lines of:

"what sort of man are you, that can summon fire without benefit of flint, or tinder?"
    "there are those who call me... Tim."
    Unfortunately, the Atlanta Braves threw the Holy Hand Grenade at Tim today.

Unfortunately, the Atlanta Braves threw the Holy Hand Grenade at Tim today.
    I thought it was that blasted bunny rabbit, I mean Martin Prado. Run away!

Darren Ford stole another game last night with his feet. Scoring from 3rd on a grounder to a drawn in 2bman is insane running. You can see Walker barely check Ford before throwing to Overbay because nobody tries to score in that situation...except Darren Ford. I don't really think Ford will ever hit in the Bigs, but man, maybe the Giants should keep him as their designated pinch runner! Shades of Herb Washington indeed!

Darren Ford stole another game last night with his feet. Scoring from 3rd on a grounder to a drawn in 2bman is insane running. You can see Walker barely check Ford before throwing to Overbay because nobody tries to score in that situation...except Darren Ford. I don't really think Ford will ever hit in the Bigs, but man, maybe the Giants should keep him as their designated pinch runner! Shades of Herb Washington indeed!
    Herb Washington, great call, he always ran like someone was chasing him. We could use some team speed, especially as the hitting is not at top form as yet. Hope Colorado cools off soon, CarGo isn't even hitting yet and they're tearing it up, Jimenez doesn't look good but their other pitchers look like the G'ints of last September/October to some extent, Jim Tracy is not getting enough credit for the job he's doing over there. Fingers crossed for Bumgarner, need him to come up big.

Dang, Madbum with his best performance by far goes for naught as the Giants give him zero run support. One wonders how long the team can continue with Tejada and other's poor hitting.

Dang, Madbum with his best performance by far goes for naught as the Giants give him zero run support. One wonders how long the team can continue with Tejada and other's poor hitting.
    Don't blame you for picking on Tejada, but last night he was snakebit, great play to rob him of a double in center, then grounding out into home plate.

Yeah., it's a little painful to watch right now. But the Panda sure is looking good! On the field, on the basebaths and at the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Don't blame you for picking on Tejada, but last night he was snakebit, great play to rob him of a double in center, then grounding out into home plate.

Yeah., it's a little painful to watch right now. But the Panda sure is looking good! On the field, on the basebaths and at the plate.
    Let's see, he's capering all over the field right now despite being half the man he was... Pan?

Now that I've got the goat, it feels like the G'ints are one more hot hitter away from clicking, to the tune of 15 out of 20 or so. Not getting blown out, just that little oonch away.

Giants just called up Burris to replace the ailing DeRosa. If I'm Tejada, I'm not too happy about that.

Also, looks like the Giants have thrown Belt into the deep end of the pool by playing him exclusively in the OF for the Grizz. Sabes is saying that Belt is needed back soon so he needs to get more comfortable in the OF because that's where he's going to play when he gets back. Burrell and Rowand wont be happy with that I bet.

Considering that Rowand and Burrell have been hitting pretty well, and Huff is dragging though starting to come around, Posey is resting today but has been a bit cold (too much pressure to be The Guy?), Sandoval is continuing to hit, Sanchez is hitting decently, why do the Giants need Belt right now? It would seem that what they need is what everyone was talking about in pre-season, a decent backup to Tejada. As Ishikawa is not getting the PT even in Fresno, is there a trade in the offing for a backup middle infielder who can hit his way out of a brown paper bag? Or is it plug in Burriss, hope DeRosa gets back... but Burriss doesn't hit and DeRosa isn't much of a SS, by all accounts. Don't the Royals have a short tonne of IF prospects in the minors who are better than anything SF has? Might be a win-win, as Ishikawa deserves an everyday chance and the Royals need a bat in the OF.

How about that...Ryan Vogelsong in his first start in 7(!) years pitches 5.2 of pretty good ball to get the win today. It just shows you that perserverence pays off sometimes.

How about that...Ryan Vogelsong in his first start in 7(!) years pitches 5.2 of pretty good ball to get the win today. It just shows you that perserverence pays off sometimes.
    Plus he has a really cool name. The potential battery of Vogelsong-to-Posey sounds like an anthem from the Summer of Love, and the park isn't all that far from Haight/Ashbury. Time to break out the love beads and bell bottoms, man.

Lincecum pitches OK, but no support. Panda's out 4-6 weeks with the Jose Canseco Hammate injury. I think maybe it's time to watch the NBA playoffs or something, that good feeling I had a couple of days ago is dissipating. Drat.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast