Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the new stadium going to be finished on time?

Is the new stadium going to be finished on time?

Opening Day 2012 is less than a year away. Is the new stadium still going to be done by then? Judging from the webcam, it looks like they've got quite a long way to go. Can they still finish it on time?

(I know the Marlins' website says the new stadium is on schedule, but of course they'll always say that....)

At the very least, if they finish the roof, can they put it up and thereby protect the inside of the stadium so they don't have to worry about weather (storms/hurricanes/etc.)?

Also, are they any closer to having a NAME for the stadium yet?
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 04-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

NYS, April, '08:

Citi Field, April, '08:

Marlins Ballpark, April, '11:

^ Oh yes, that extreme closeup of a few seats is VERY representative of the progress of the new stadium's construction. :lol:

As for NYS and Citi: Those are different stadiums. Not all are finished at the same rate. (And we also have 20/20 hindsight to thank for that...but when those photos first got out, don't even try to tell me that people weren't wondering if THOSE places would be finished on time as well. We know NOW that they were, but be honest...AT THAT TIME, did those pictures REALLY look like stadiums that would ever be finished on time? Take a good, long look...)

Also, the New York ballparks had the advantage of not being located smack dab in the middle of HURRICANE country.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 04-11-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Aren't you the same guy who was panicking that NYS wouldn't be able to transform back from a football field in time for opening day?

I sense a pattern here.

One of two things will happen:
    1. The Marlins ballpark will not open on time--we will look like fools and you will look like the lone voice of reason.
    2. The Marlins ballpark will open on time as everyone knows it will and you will look like a fool for panicking.

Wanna bet which outcome will come to pass?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

^ I'll take that risk. After all: You can't be too careful.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 04-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yes. I think roof contruction has started if I am not mistaken. Can't wait. I'll be there.

The new stadium does indeed look sweeeeeet! It is sad that there doesn't seem to be easy transit access though. (If I am wrong about this, please feel free to mercilessly correct me.) But one takes what one can get!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The new stadium does indeed look sweeeeeet! It is sad that there doesn't seem to be easy transit access though. (If I am wrong about this, please feel free to mercilessly correct me.) But one takes what one can get!
    No, you are correct about the transit access (or lack thereof). Basically, one Miami-Dade Transit line (7) that will pass right by the stadium, another line (17) on NW 17 Ave a few blocks away, but within reasonable walking distance. Metrorail stops a couple of miles away (Culmer station), but not really within walking distance, and MDT can no longer provide shuttle service from the station to the stadium (like they used to for games at the Orange Bowl) due to the ridiculous FTA ruling that local transit agencies can't provide shuttle service (has to be a private company), or something like that. Dunno if any private companies will step up. So, looks like the best bet will be to drive (which is pretty much the case at SunLife Stadium nowadays, although at that venue, there are a few more bus options (MDT 27, 97, 99 and Broward County line 2 ).

Between Miami, Winter Springs and Largo, Fl
    Mets avatar ????? :yuck:

We will be just fine Folks !!! Come 2012 and the New Home !!!
    Chairman of the Bored

Quote Originally Posted by TommieAgeefan View Post
    one Miami-Dade Transit line (7) that will pass right by the stadium
    What kind of line is this? Is it easy for tourists to use? Do you have a link to its website?

MDT can no longer provide shuttle service from the station to the stadium (like they used to for games at the Orange Bowl) due to the ridiculous FTA ruling that local transit agencies can't provide shuttle service (has to be a private company)
    That is very odd. What possible reason could there be for a ruling like that?

Blog Entries
    Starting to get excited about the new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Also, the New York ballparks had the advantage of not being located smack dab in the middle of HURRICANE country.
    We've been very lucky this hurricane season (the six month of June through November) with no major storms affecting Florida so far. Only a month and a half left and the threat usually tapers off considerably by the end of October (Hurricane Wilma in October 2005 was a notable exception, in a very active year of storms). In Florida, December, January, February and March are typically the driest and coolest months of the year - very good for finishing construction and putting in the grass. Knock wood, but weatherwise we're looking pretty good.
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Looking at a picture on their Facebook page, taken in March, it looks like the roof was about 50% done. I think they will have no problem being finished on time.

I also saw the renderings for the first time. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful stadium.

I wonder if they will close the roof only when it rains or when it's really hot and humid out too.
    Last edited by Chimpie; 10-16-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's more than half finished and supposedly under budget.

The stadium will be completed on time, but the restaurants and shops that are planned to surround it probably won't....

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/0...m-to-open.html
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Done Deal...Inagurated and all happened last nite !!!!!!!

Columbus defeats Belen Jesuit at Marlins Park opener

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/0...#storylink=cpy
    Chairman of the Bored

True, they've already had games in the stadium, but construction still isn't completely done.

Mr. LB ....I will post what I see the day after 2morrow..I heard the contrary...the finished stadium is just that...Finished minus the normal bugs any new building has

..Got a bunch of $20.00 tickets for $8.00 each at stubhub....Goinn sunday with a bunch of buddies, on my first trip to a Marlins game in AGES...Obviously my first trip also to the new Park..I REFUSED to go to their old Timbaktu location. Win or Lose I know I will be goinn to watch them now plenty every year !!!
    Closer...and a TRUE BEISBOL stadium !!!!
    Last edited by colocolo; 04-27-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Chairman of the Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post

I wonder if they will close the roof only when it rains or when it's really hot and humid out too.
    That has happenned already, no need for rain, heat and humidity will have the roof over the place with the A/C cranking...
    This weekend is supossed to be very rainy here in S.Fla I will experience the roof sunday for the Diamondbacks game.

Remember too that the roof can be moved in the middle of a game too, any day they please..Under 10 minutes does the trick !!!
    Last edited by colocolo; 04-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Chairman of the Bored

I dont care about detractors and or jealouzy...Marlins Park its just unreal..I am sure they will be picking up lots more in revenue when the naming rights are sold...I hear in circles Apple might be up to it !!!!!

Apple Park....sounds lovely
    Chairman of the Bored

Pouring cats and dogs here in SW Miami....Heading out to the Park in .45 minutes...Nice win last nite, so that the Diamondbacks can't sweep us !!!
    Chairman of the Bored

What a piece of S T A D I UM !!!!!!!!

Marlin Park is the darling of the MLB, No Doubt... I covered it from top to bottom and around 2wice...There isnt a BAD seat in the house !!!

And.............Completely finished...the contracting people did a tremendous job !!!!
    Chairman of the Bored

My personal contribution...Taken today by moi

Mmmmmm I thought I was an expert, never had this problem in other posting communities, but I cant post the pics from my lap top or thru photobucket, neither works

If someone knows the trick to posting pics in baseball fever, gimme a hand, and I will be more than happy to have them here.
    Last edited by colocolo; 04-29-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Chairman of the Bored

Sunday, April 29, 2012 . The Place ROCKS ...36,000 Fans as per the Marlins Website.

Last edited by colocolo; 04-30-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    Chairman of the Bored

Quote Originally Posted by colocolo View Post
    I dont care about detractors and or jealouzy...Marlins Park its just unreal..I am sure they will be picking up lots more in revenue when the naming rights are sold...I hear in circles Apple might be up to it !!!!!

Apple Park....sounds lovely
    They've sure got the bucks to do it. Or maybe Google...

"Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast