Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fastest Fastball?

just looked above, and it was dalkowski
    Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Steve Dalkowsky?

3. I remember a game in Rob Dibble's prime where he was clocked at 102.

Blog Entries

my own little story....current.

before I start I always though J.R. Richard had the guiness thing? But this thread starts with Nolan Ryan, oh well?

Joel Zumaya, has thrown 102 on several radar guns, both broadcast, and stadium. I also saw earlier in the year, Zumaya throw 104 in Toronto on THEIR stadium radar gun. Granted, that could be a mix up in the translation from both french language....to kilometers...to MPH, but the fans in Toronto gasped at the speed.

Down the road I see those Discovery Channel peeps, on Myth Busters, taking on the critical velocity of a baseball, as whenever people claim the 105+ fastball, physicists claim it is impossible....I would be curious as to the results. Although, those folks can look at the true speed of the baseball, as everything is measured, distance and time.

Zumaya, Embree, Wagner, Johnson... Ive seen all these guys clocked at least 102... so i dont know how ryan's 101.9 is the highest...maybe its the highest with an official gun?? i dont get it.

Tigers Joel Zumaya at 102-103 mph.

Joel Zumaya the young Tigers reliever regularly is clocked at 99-102 mph in every game he pitches. On at least one occasion this year I remember the radar displaying him reaching 103 mph. I believe he is consistenly the hardest thrower in the major leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanAparra
    Zumaya, Embree, Wagner, Johnson... Ive seen all these guys clocked at least 102... so i dont know how ryan's 101.9 is the highest...maybe its the highest with an official gun?? i dont get it.
    yes, he is the fastest with an offifical gun. The guns in the major leagues are unreliable and often purposely set too high

I'd like to know if there are any speed numbers out there on Dick "The Monster" Radatz.

Dalko110 -- maybe you've heard of this other obscure guy whom ex-Mets Joe Christopher mentioned to me as scary fast: Harry "The Flame Thrower" Fanok (1963-64 Cardinals).

I'm pretty sure It's Ryan at 101. somthing but Daniel Cabrera hit about 100. somthing

some Old Radars are terrible. I was driving and a radar clocked a tree going 80 MPH

mistake Cabrera hit 101. somthing

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've heard of Harry "Human Flame Thrower" Fanok. I forgot to mention him...whoops! Fanok had a three-quarters delivery, and was another guy obscured in the early 1960's by Dalkowski's speed numbers (his Big League career is rather insignificant). He had control problems, but nothing like Dalkowski or Weik. He probably threw over 100 mph, although there were batters that faced both Fanok and Dalkowski and said that Dalkowski was the faster of the two (notably Ted Williams in Spring Training...he mentions Fanok, although I can't quite recall where, as being blindingly fast). But that leaves the question open as to whether Fanok was faster than Weik. I'm going to have to do some research, but I'll bet he might give Weik a run for his money. As for Radatz, I thought he WAS clocked at 100 mph (rounded up from around 99.8 or 99.9) just before he blew out his arm.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

In the second game of the division series today (Tigers at Yankee Stadium), Zumaya was consistantly being clocked at 103mph. A-Rod struck out on a pitch that the announcers called a 101 mph "changeup".

Quote Originally Posted by robert erkkila
    Joel Zumaya the young Tigers reliever regularly is clocked at 99-102 mph in every game he pitches. On at least one occasion this year I remember the radar displaying him reaching 103 mph. I believe he is consistenly the hardest thrower in the major leagues.

Part of the issue is where the clocking occurs -- as the ball comes out of the pitcher's hand (and for how far?) or as nears the plate (at which time it may have slowed down up to 5 MPH).

Also, batters' memories may be affected by a number of factors, including the release point and the pitcher's motion. Y'all heard of "sneaky fast" -- i.e., where the pitcher's delivery seems slow and then he speeds up at the end, so it looks like the ball is coming out at 105? Lefthanded "dart throwers" like Sid Fernandex are notorious for picking up a few faux MPH on their fast balls that way. Recollections from Spring Training are notoriously suspect, as batters' timing often hasn't caught up to the pitchers (who arrive earlier than position players).

I find it interesting that it's alway Ted Williams (or some other top hitter) who's always being quoted as saying that a certain pitcher (a) is the fastest, or (b) has the biggest breaking curve, etc. How come no one quotes a second string catcher who's had the chance to compare the same pitchers as Williams? In other words, some of these tales may be .... apocryphal.

In any case, your scholarship is very much appreciated, Dalkowski. Here's a toast to big Steve.... or maybe we shouldn't.

Didn't Mark Wohlers throw a 103mph fastball once or was clocked at 103mph? For example, a fictional Dodgers pitcher, Greg Brule, threw a 101mph heater in 1991 at Dodger Stadium. Of course it didn't happen in real life, but it could happen with a starter. John Smoltz or Greg Maddux never threw >100mph pitches in real life, but some starters once threw one of them heaters.

Ernie Harwell brought up Steve Dalkowski during last nights Tiger's game. He said he broke an umpire's mask.

Blog Entries
    That'd be Doug Harvey's mask. Yes, THAT Doug Harvey. Harvey is yet another guy who maintains that Dalkowski was the fastest to ever pitch.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

I remember hearing of Dalkowski when I was a young kid. I actually got to see Eddie Feigner throw a softball and that was amazing to see. Wish I could have seen Dalkowski.

I saw Matt Anderson (think that's his name) throwing 103 against the Sox a few years back. It was definately wrong though.

Great discussion. I admit to having neaver heard of this Weinek guy. I do remember the name Rittwage though. He didn't much at all for the Tribe.I don't recall anything in regards to him being a flame thrower.Born in 45? I'm doing it from memory.Other flame throwing namers who didn't cut it was a Thomphson who pitched for Cleveland and wound up a bartender in Colorado and Steve Dunning of the Tribe who threw the only shut out in that band box in Sacramento against the Brewers triple A team. Dalk,got any info on those folks? Did Cleveland have a love thing for hard throwers who didn't know how to pitch?

That's what I was thinking too, probably Zumaya or Johnson.

Just thought I would contribute to your "Fastest Fastball" discussion. I agree that it is impossibe to come up with a definitive answer to who is/was the fastest. There are just too many variables involved, a couple of which have not been brought up yet in this thread.

Here is a link to a very interesting article:

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs..._of_Fame/33454

The points made in this article are worth noting. Most modern radar guns take a reading as soon as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand. In the case of Nolan Ryan's record setting pitch the reading was taken 10 feet in front of home plate. This makes a HUGE difference, as outlined in the article.

Here is another noteworthy link:

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/m...=.jsp&c_id=nym

It is interesting to see that Joel Zumaya's 103mph pitch was only travelling 93.4 mph when it reached home plate. To put things in perspective, Ryan's pitch was still travelling 102 mph only 10 feet in front of home plate. If Nolan Ryan were to have thrown his "record setting" pitch in 2006, it would probably have shown a reading of 107-108 mph on a modern radar gun (maybe higher) with a reading taken as soon as the ball left his hand. Conversely, if Zumaya had thrown his 103 mph pitch back in '73 or '74 the reading 10 feet in front of the plate would most likely have been in the neighborhood of 95-96 mph. I am only using Ryan as a reference point. I think it is fairly well established that there were others who threw harder. It is scary to imagine what Dalkowski would have registered on the modern radar guns!

Regardless of what FOX or MLB would have you believe (it can only help ratings), Zumaya is NOT throwing the baseball at record-breaking speeds. Unfortunately, millions of fans viewing these games do not know any better and are being duped.

So you are saying that Ryan throws about 6 mph faster than Zumaya? I dont believe that at all.

Exclamation

Correct, the Nolan Ryan pitch was measured at 100.9 mph, by Rockwell International scientists with their own equipment.
    It happened in the 9th inning, in a game that he struck out 19 batters for the 3rd time that season.
    The Angels ended up losing the game, 1-0 in 11-innings to the Detroit Tigers.

After reading this thread I would have to say they are using a steroid juiced radar gun in this years playoff telecasts. Zumaya has had numerous pitches at 103, Verlander a bunch at 101. They had Joe Kennedy at 97 and he topped out at 92 here in Colorado. I always thought J.R. Richard of the Astros had the fastest recorded. Ted Williams said the fastest he faced was a AAA pitcher hands down. Forget the name but Williams said this pitchers arm went dead on a throw to first of all things.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast