Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Fastball?

Quote Originally Posted by Ledfut13
    Obviously you didn't read the articles I attached links to. Zumaya's 103 mph pitch was timed using a gun that takes the reading as soon as the ball left his hand. Ryan's pitch (100.9) was measured 10 feet from home plate. The FOX pitch tracker showed Zumaya's 103 mph pitch at only 94 mph at home plate.

I also believe the guns used on TV are "juiced". Just like the mammoth home runs of the steroid era, a pitcher throwing 100+ mph gets the fans excited. I agree 100% with the Joe Kennedy example posted earlier.

There are only a handful of guys in the majors who can legitimately touch the high 90's. Yet, come playoff time, it seems every team has 4 or 5 pitchers throwing that hard (and yet they still don't get many strikeouts) according to the TV radar guns.

Actually, I heard that it doesn't measure it straight out of the hand if measures it about 4 feet away from the hand, because if tried to measure the ball out of their hand it would probably give you the arm speed instead...

I forget what the two types of Radar guns are called, one is called JUGS and i forgot the other .

Also, Even though Zumaya doesn't throw 103 he is still the fastest thrower in the Mlb right now because even though those guns might be "juiced" I still don't see any other pitcher hit 103 on those guns.

Ive seen many his at least 102 over the last couple years... two being Embree and Wagner.

Blog Entries
    "Forget the name but Williams said this pitchers arm went dead on a throw to first of all things."

That'd be Steve Dalkowski...and that's just one of about half a dozen stories about how he blew it out. (Sometimes it's on a pitch to Hector Lopez, sometimes it's fielding a bunt from Hector Lopez, sometimes it's getting nailed with a liner right back up the middle on the arm by Hector Lopez, sometimes it's all those things with Jim Bouton [who was facing Dalkowski in that Spring Training game], who knows? However, the fact that he had walked Roger Maris for the previous batter would make me think Hector Lopez was the batter he faced...unless the Yankees were really screwing around with their lineup.).
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmondsFan#1
    Actually, I heard that it doesn't measure it straight out of the hand if measures it about 4 feet away from the hand, because if tried to measure the ball out of their hand it would probably give you the arm speed instead...

I forget what the two types of Radar guns are called, one is called JUGS and i forgot the other .

Also, Even though Zumaya doesn't throw 103 he is still the fastest thrower in the Mlb right now because even though those guns might be "juiced" I still don't see any other pitcher hit 103 on those guns.
    I think the old gun is called a Ra-Gun, or something like that. You are probably right about the JUGS gun taking a reading about 4 feet away from the hand. It makes sense that you would want the ball speed and not the arm speed. But after the pitcher's stride, release, and an additional 4 feet, the ball is probably still about 50 feet from home plate. That is still quite a bit earlier than where Ryan's pitch was measured (10 feet from home plate). Zumaya's pitch went from 103 mph to just over 94 mph in the time it took the ball to travel from 4 feet after releasing the ball to home plate. That is an 8.5 mph drop. Imagine if Ryan's 101 mph pitch (10 feet from the plate) dropped even 5 or 6 mph from his release point. You are still looking at a mph at release of approximately 106-107 mph.

I do agree with you that Zumaya appears to be the hardest throwing of the current pitchers.

Like any sport, comparisons across generations are pretty hard to make, but are good for stimulating debate...

I'll toss this name into the mix because I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Does anybody remember a pitcher for the Detroit Tigers names Matt Anderson? He was a #1 overall pick out of Rice University and pitched for the Tigers in the late 1990's I believe. I was at a game at old Tiger Stadium when he pitched against the Baltimore Orioles. In that game he topped 100 mph several times. I also seem to remember that ESPN the magazine did an article on flamethrowing pitchers and he was listed as having thrown 104 mph.

Blog Entries
    Anderson was rated throwing both the JUGS gun and the Ra-Gun (the latter being more accurate since the current version gives a reading 15 feet away from home plate as well as just after the pitcher releases it). He hit 104 on the JUGS, but "only" hit 99 on the Ra-Gun 15 feet away. Rittwage, btw, was measured 15 feet away with regards to his 99+ mph pitch. This immediately cancels out Anderson. Joel Zumaya probably throws around 101 mph tops if one is to use the "Ryan Measurement." Bob Feller, IMO, was the fastest Major Leaguer, although compelling cases can be made for Dick Weik, Harry Fanok, Ryne Duren, Eli Grba, Jim Rittwage, Sudden Sam McDowell, and Nolan Ryan. Steve Dalkowski, IMO, was the fastest professional pitcher.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Good ol' Sidd Finch. This article has the Goose and Ryan at 103, not offical tho.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...4/finch_flash/

Blog Entries
    Didn't the original article Sports Illustrated published actually have the first letter of each word about Sidd Finch spell out "April Fool" (just for the benefit of our younger members...Sidd Finch isn't real. He was an April Fool's Day joke conconcted by SI.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dalkowski110
    Didn't the original article Sports Illustrated published actually have the first letter of each word about Sidd Finch spell out "April Fool" (just for the benefit of our younger members...Sidd Finch isn't real. He was an April Fool's Day joke conconcted by SI.)
    Yeah it did. Forgot about it.

The subhead of the article read: "He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga —and his future in baseball." The first letters of these words spells out "Happy April Fools Day."

i duno if this counts but ive seen japanese pitchers kyuji fujikawa hit around 102-105 with his fastball and hes throwing changeups at like 90 miles an hour :S

One thing that has stayed with me for 37 years is standing directly above the bullpen in 1969 and watching and listening to Nolan Ryan throw to Jerry Grote. Man it sounded like one big bang ! Granted i was only 9 at the time but that sound still stays with me like it was yesterday. And to think we gave him up for Jim Fregosi, probably the worst trade of all time.
    Whats the world coming to ??

Blog Entries
    The Japanese use the Ra-Gun, to their credit, but the problem is, they measure it the same way pitches are currently measured...from the release point. As for Kyuji Fujikawa, I googled him, found a highlight reel, and it looks a bit like Joel Zumaya. Unfortunately, unlike the Tigers, I doubt the Hanshin coaches will go out of their way to baby his arm and let him proberly develop.

EDIT: He doesn't throw as hard as I thought. The Ra-Gun measured him at the "Ryan Distance," at only 92 mph. I think Zumaya has probably reached 100-101 mph on good days at the Ryan Distance.
    Last edited by Dalkowski110; 10-27-2006 at 09:08 PM.

zumaya

on Friday march 30th during a spring training game Joel Zumaya was clocked at 107mph!!! even with juiced up guns this had to be over 101 MPH, they also had two other guns that clocked at him at 105. Even with some corruption i believe that this is pretty conclusively breaking the record. if he is being clocked at these speeds on multiple guns how can we argue that they can be as far as 10 MPH off.and if they really are juicing the guns up that much what if the public finds out wont this create an uproar. nobody would be so excited about these numbers if they were really that considerably "juiced"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by EvanAparra View Post
    So you are saying that Ryan throws about 6 mph faster than Zumaya? I dont believe that at all.
    The Ryan Express just celebrated his 60th birthday on January 31st.
    Even at his advanced age, I think he could throw harder than Zumaya TODAY?!
    Well at least bull dog him down and give him a noogie just like Robin Ventura?!
    .....ahem.....who is Joel Zumaya again?!?!

And let's NOT forget the "Big Train" Walter Johnson.
    He was still throwing GAS by young hitters during batting practice
    as a coach at age 50.
    Last edited by Bigrcube; 04-02-2007 at 05:06 AM.

Zumaya the fastest!

Joel Zumaya of the Detroit Tigers was regularly clocked at 100-103 mph last year during the regular season. This past week, in an exhibition game against the Atlanta Braves, he was clocked a 107 mph on one of his pitches. Chipper Jones commented after the game that even before he saw the radar gun register 107 mph he knew it was the fastest pitch he had ever seen in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by robert erkkila View Post
    Joel Zumaya of the Detroit Tigers was regularly clocked at 100-103 mph last year during the regular season. This past week, in an exhibition game against the Atlanta Braves, he was clocked a 107 mph on one of his pitches. Chipper Jones commented after the game that even before he saw the radar gun register 107 mph he knew it was the fastest pitch he had ever seen in his career.
    I was going to say, last year I saw Zumaya go like this or something:

PITCH: 99
    PITCH: 96
    PITCH: 97
    PITCH: 100
    PITCH: 101
    PITCH: 102
    PITCH: 103
    PITCH: 100
    PITCH: 98
    SIZEMORE NATION

Ive heard it was Brian Anderson, the SP for the Royals from a few years back.
    "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Blog Entries
    "Joel Zumaya of the Detroit Tigers was regularly clocked at 100-103 mph last year during the regular season. This past week, in an exhibition game against the Atlanta Braves, he was clocked a 107 mph on one of his pitches. Chipper Jones commented after the game that even before he saw the radar gun register 107 mph he knew it was the fastest pitch he had ever seen in his career."

Problem there is that they were clocking the pitches as they left Zumaya's hand. Not the fastest by a long shot...it was blasted out of Bob Feller's hand at 115 (approx) when they clocked him.

"Hey you guys i watched a documentary on sportscenter a few years back about a kid who lived up in the mountains. They said he could throw like 125mph but i'd have to see it to believe it. Did anyone else see this documentary? They also said he had a tryout with the mets."

That was a mockumentary. Made-up guy who everyone has gone along with named Sidd Finch. The guy who portrayed him is an Ohio schoolteacher. I like to call Sidd Finch "the baseball equivalent to Spinaltap."

"Ive heard it was Brian Anderson, the SP for the Royals from a few years back."

You mean Ryan Anderson? Anderson was never clocked at the Ryan Distance, though it was estimated he hit about 100 mph there (which is impressive, but still doesn't beat Nolan Ryan).

Didn't Zumaya smoke one at 103 last year against the Yanks in the postseason as well?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast