Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Fastball?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalkowski110 View Post

"Ive heard it was Brian Anderson, the SP for the Royals from a few years back."

You mean Ryan Anderson? Anderson was never clocked at the Ryan Distance, though it was estimated he hit about 100 mph there (which is impressive, but still doesn't beat Nolan Ryan).
    Thats who it was. I thought i remember something about him hitting 103.7 or 101.7 or something that topped Ryan's record. I don't remember clearly because it was so long ago though.
    "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Blog Entries
    "Didn't Zumaya smoke one at 103 last year against the Yanks in the postseason as well?"

Radar guns were dialed up during the playoffs last year...I remember Billy Wagner hitting 100 mph on almost every pitch.

"that topped Ryan's record."

To top Ryan's record officially, you have to A) be clocked at the Ryan Distance of 50'6" and B) be clocked by a chronograph, not a radar gun. I'll grant you that B is kinda subjective, but A does count. And Anderson's pitches were being timed at about 40-45 feet away from the plate, depending on the kind of radar gun. Oh yeah, and I was wrong...Ryan Anderson was of course the Seattle SP prospect that flopped. It was Matt Anderson who was such a hard thrower.
    Last edited by Dalkowski110; 06-03-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Update from http://www.baseball-almanac.com

In Order by Fastest Observed Speed
    (Listing Has Only The Fastest Known Speed by the Pitcher )

Pitcher
    Radar Speed
    Date
    Mark Wohlers
    103.0 mph
    Spring Training

Joel Zumaya
    103.0 mph
    07-04-2006
    McAfee Coliseum

Armando Benitez
    102.0 mph
    05-24-2002
    Shea Stadium

Bobby Jenks
    102.0 mph
    08-27-2005
    Safeco Field

Randy Johnson
    102.0 mph
    07-09-2004
    Pacific Bell Park

Matt Lindstrom
    102.0 mph
    05-16-2007
    PNC Park

Robb Nen
    102.0 mph
    10-23-1997
    Jacobs Field

Justin Verlander *
    102.0 mph
    06-12-2007 †
    Comerica Park

Jonathan Broxton *
    101.0 mph
    06-26-2007
    Chase Field

A.J. Burnett
    101.0 mph
    05-31-2005
    PNC Park

Rob Dibble
    101.0 mph
    06-08-1992
    Candlestick Park

Kyle Farnsworth
    101.0 mph
    05-26-2004
    Minute Maid Park

Eric Gagne
    101.0 mph
    04-16-2004
    Pacific Bell Park

Jose Mesa
    101.0 mph
    05-01-1993
    Cleveland Stadium

Guillermo Mota
    101.0 mph
    07-24-2002
    Qualcomm Stadium

Tony Pena
    101.0 mph
    06-07-2007
    AT&T Park

Billy Wagner *
    101.0 mph
    07-30-2003
    Turner Field

Nolan Ryan
    100.9 mph
    08-20-1974
    Anaheim Stadium

Josh Beckett
    100.0 mph
    10-12-2003
    Pro Player Park

Daniel Cabrera
    100.0 mph
    05-09-2005
    Camden Yards

Roger Clemens
    100.0 mph
    10-10-2001
    Yankee Stadium

Bartolo Colon
    100.0 mph
    10-06-1999
    Jacobs Field

Francisco Cordero
    100.0 mph
    07-07-2004
    Jacobs Field

Rich Harden
    100.0 mph
    05-27-2005
    McAfee Stadium

Jorge Julio
    100.0 mph
    09-16-2004
    Skydome

Brandon League
    100.0 mph
    07-14-2006
    Rogers Centre

J.R. Richard
    100.0 mph
    05-25-1976
    Candlestick Park

C.C. Sabathia
    100.0 mph
    06-28-2002
    Jacobs Field

Ben Sheets
    100.0 mph
    07-10-2004
    Miller Park

Rafael Soriano *
    100.0 mph
    05-04-2007
    Turner Field

Derrick Turnbow
    100.0 mph
    05-27-2005
    Miller Park

Kerry Wood
    100.0 mph
    08-10-2005
    Wrigley Field

Pitcher
    Radar Speed
    Date
    * Actual picture of speed taken from the field at top of the chart.
    † Took place during a no hitter

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/arti...baseball.shtml

GP
    www.FantasyBaseballMafia.com
    http://wiretap.hipcast.com/rss/fbm_wiretap.xml

Pitcher Perfect
    Why can't anyone throw a baseball faster than 100 mph?

When baseball's elders swap stories about fireballers, the name that ends the conversation isn't Nolan Ryan or Sandy Koufax. It's one that never appeared on the back of a major-league uniform: Steve Dalkowski. Legend has it that the 5-foot-11-inch, 170-pound lefty threw his fastball well in excess of 100 mph. We don't have an exact number for the same reason Dalkowski, who toiled in the minors in the late 1950s and early 1960s, never made the big leagues: He was too wild to time. When a scout tried to gauge Dalkowski's fastball with a primitive radar gun—a beam of light the width of home plate—the pitcher couldn't hit the target until after his arm got tired.

Steve Dalkowski sounds like a genetic freak, but so is anyone who can throw a baseball 90 mph. What he really represents is a blow to the basic notion of human progress. In almost every measurable physical activity, athletes show improvement over time. Jumpers jump higher and farther, and runners and swimmers go faster. Since the late 1950s, the high-jump world record has improved by more than 10 percent, the 100-meter-dash mark has improved by 5 percent, and swimming's best 100-meter freestyle has dipped 12 percent.

Pitchers, though, don't seem to be getting any faster. Pretty much every generation since the early 1900s has boasted a supposed 100-mph pitcher, from Walter Johnson and Smoky Joe Wood to Bob Feller to Dalkowski to Nolan Ryan. If we stick with speeds registered since modern radar guns became ubiquitous in the 1970s, peak velocity seems to be a shade north of 100. Major League Baseball doesn't keep official records on pitch speeds, but the Guinness Book of World Records credits Ryan with the fastest pitch ever, a 100.9-mph heater from 1974. This article disagrees, crowning Mark Wohlers the radar-gun champ with a 103-mph pitch. (For an explanation of why radar gun readings can be inconsistent, click here.)

Maybe it only looks like the outer limit for pitchers is stable at around 100 mph because we can't consistently and accurately measure minute improvements in speed. When it comes to flamethrowers, after all, it's hard to figure out what's the truth and what's a tall tale. Feller once sent a fastball zooming by a speeding motorcycle. Maybe the ball really was traveling at 104 mph, as the organizers of the stunt claimed. Or maybe not.

Still, according to experts in biomechanics, that 100-mph ceiling isn't an illusion—it's a basic property of human physiology. A pitcher generates momentum by rocking onto his back leg and thrusting forward. After that he rotates his pelvis and upper trunk, then his elbow, shoulder, and wrist. Intuitively, it seems like building up the muscles in the legs, upper body, arm, and shoulder would generate more force and make his arm move faster. The reality: There's a point when more torque doesn't yield a faster pitch. It simply causes tendons and ligaments to snap, detaching muscles from bones and bones from one another. (Tendons connect muscles to bones; ligaments connect bones to each other.)

Glenn Fleisig, a biomechanical engineer who studies pitching at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Ala., has calculated that about 80 Newton-meters of torque act on an elite pitcher's elbow when he throws a fastball. The ulnar collateral ligament connects the humerus and ulna—two of the bones that come together in the elbow. To test the outer limits of the ligament's strength, Fleisig subjected cadaver elbows to increasing amounts of rotational force. These experiments showed that an average person's UCL snaps at about 80 Newton-meters. Smoky Joe Wood said that he threw so fast he thought his arm was going to fly off. It turns out he wasn't far from the truth.

Another way to test the proposition that ligament fragility limits velocity is to see what happens when pitchers strengthen their muscles. Mike Axe, an orthopedic surgeon and protégé of Fleisig's partner James Andrews, advises pitchers to build up their shoulder muscles by practicing with a weighted glove on their throwing hand. According to Axe, a pitcher can add up 2 to 5 mph to his fastball with this regimen. The potential gains are lower for those who throw fast to begin with, though. Axe has seen pitchers increase their velocity from 84 to 88 mph and from 88 to 91 mph. He's never seen anyone improve from 98 to 100. The chief benefit for these hurlers is that they suffer fewer muscle tears.

Why do sprinters keep getting faster while baseball pitchers seem to have maxed out? Because track athletes don't approach the limits of what human tendons and ligaments can handle. When you run the 100-meter dash, no single stride represents as violent a motion as the arm makes during a single overhand pitch. Sprinters can build up their muscles without worrying that the extra force will rip their ligaments apart—that's why steroid use seems to make sprinters faster but won't help pitchers generate velocity beyond a certain point. (A better reason for a pitcher to take steroids would be to decrease the time it takes to recover between games.)

Ligaments and tendons can get stronger, but at a much slower rate than the muscles that surround them. There are rumors that pitchers who've undergone Tommy John surgery—that is, a replacement of the UCL with a tendon from the hamstring or wrist—can throw harder than they did before having surgery. But any increase in velocity probably has less to do with getting a new superligament than with the strict rehabilitation program Tommy John patients are supposed to follow. The reason pitchers get injured in the first place is that their muscles, tendons, and ligaments weren't as strong as they should have been.

What about growing taller, more massive pitchers? That doesn't necessarily make a difference, either. Small, slightly built pitchers like Dalkowski, the 5-foot-11 Pedro Martinez, and the 5-foot-10 Billy Wagner throw just as hard as giants such as Randy Johnson. The physical principle here is fairly simple. If two levers move at the same speed, the ball released from the longer lever will have more velocity. But as a lever becomes larger, it requires more torque to move. Randy's lever is larger; Wagner's moves more quickly. The trade-off makes their velocity roughly equal.

In the last two decades, baseball managers and GMs have focused less on speed and more on injury prevention. According to Fleisig, whose clinic has diagnosed mechanical problems in professional pitchers since 1990, "[Baseball executives] don't come to me and say make this guy a few miles per hour faster. They say, help this guy stay on the field." Steve Dalkowski should have been so lucky. He blew out his arm fielding a bunt in an exhibition game in 1963, on the eve of his first major-league start.
    Why on Earth can't I just submit this article as my post instead of having to waste twenty seconds exing out a "You must submit a message" message and then writing a message? Sheesh.

The fastest I've seen was 112 mph at Safeco field last April. The amazing thing was that both pitchers were throwing 112mph and consistently aswell.

...Hmm. Now come to think about it, I think their pitch speed board was broken.
    Greystones Mariners Baseball Club. The oldest baseball club in Ireland. 16 years and still going strong.

www.greystonesbaseball.org

zumaya and matt thornton

at was at a royals game in 2005 and matt thornton was clocked at 102 i think and then zumaya http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/team/p...ayer_id=451491 click on zumaya brings the gas

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Pratt View Post
    Why on Earth can't I just submit this article as my post instead of having to waste twenty seconds exing out a "You must submit a message" message and then writing a message? Sheesh.
    Should have just posted the link Gregory. That's a good article that I came across once to. It more or less explains the fact that near 100mph you are at the max limit for the human arm. No amount of training or PED shortcuts is going to help you exceed the limit of 100mph by much.

Still, according to experts in biomechanics, that 100-mph ceiling isn't an illusion—it's a basic property of human physiology. A pitcher generates momentum by rocking onto his back leg and thrusting forward. After that he rotates his pelvis and upper trunk, then his elbow, shoulder, and wrist. Intuitively, it seems like building up the muscles in the legs, upper body, arm, and shoulder would generate more force and make his arm move faster. The reality: There's a point when more torque doesn't yield a faster pitch. It simply causes tendons and ligaments to snap, detaching muscles from bones and bones from one another. (Tendons connect muscles to bones; ligaments connect bones to each other.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Pratt View Post
    The article is virtually worthless without us knowing its author, date and publication.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmckenna View Post
    The article is virtually worthless without us knowing its author, date and publication.
    http://slate.com/id/2116402

Great Column

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkmckenna

http://slate.com/id/2116402

That's a great link, thanks. lots of good links within the link as well

GP
    www.FantasyBaseballMafia.com
    http://wiretap.hipcast.com/rss/fbm_wiretap.xml

Blog Entries
    You can also click the hyperlink in my sig.

I like this thread.
    -David
    Please read the Baseball Fever Policy and FAQ Section before posting.
    "Some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for." -Roy Hobbs, The Natural

Ever wonder about the fastest pitch ever thrown? Click this link.

Probably Randy Johnson when he was with the Mariners.

Blog Entries
    "When a scout tried to gauge Dalkowski's fastball with a primitive radar gun—a beam of light the width of home plate—the pitcher couldn't hit the target until after his arm got tired."

As some of you know, I'm actually writing a book about Steve (my candidate for fastest all time). My research has been fairly extensive...and the above bears absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened when they tried clocking Steve.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Shoaib Akhtar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsi View Post
    Does anybody know where to find more information about the Bob Feller story?

I have a bet with an English Cricket lover, who is telling me cricket bowlers are faster than baseball pitchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seurat View Post
    I shouldn't think this bet is still running, but I thought I'd add a bit of cricket info for the records.

The highest electronically measured speed for a ball bowled by any bowler is 100.23mph by Shoaib Akhtar of Pakistan in 2003. A similar speed was claimed for the Australian Jeff Thomson in the 1970s.

Speeds are now mostly measured using a system called Hawkeye info here which uses six cameras to measure trajectory and claims 99.99% accuracy. Speeds are given 0.5 seconds after the ball has left the bowler's hand.

Top speeds rarely top 90mph however, so I'd say that baseball pitchers are probably faster. Hard to compare considering the differences in action, run-up and objective though.

The debate about who was the fastest bowler of all time is just as heated as in baseball.
    Video of Akhtar's 161.3 km/h delivery here:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...astest+cricket

Blog Entries
    Not fast enough, plus he has a running start. 161.3 km/h=just over 100.2 mph. Also, the bowled cricket ball bounces at a distance no greater than 30 feet from his hand. Nolan Ryan achieved the speed of 100.9 mph with no running start and at a much greater distance away from his hand (50 feet to be precise). Steve Dalkowski likely threw even harder, though his wildness prevented an accurate reading at any one of the three Aberdeen Proving Grounds US Army chronograph tests where he tried getting his fastball through a box-like device just exceeding the width of home plate.

Blog Entries
    Actually, there's A LOT wrong with that article. Steve Dalkowski never faced Ted Williams, for one thing. I've come up with a fairly good idea of where that came from, though: Steve was brought up for evaluation purposes after the 1958 season with Chuck Estrada and Marv Breeding as a non-roster player. All three worked out both before and after games during a series with the Boston Red Sox. Williams did WATCH Steve Dalkowski, but we don't know what kind of comments he made. Orioles scout Walter Youse, who was on hand for one of the games, claimed that Williams merely said "damned if I ever have to face him," though he never specified if it was Steve's speed or wildness. Steve and a back-up catcher named Ralph Lairmore likely conconcted this story some time during the 1959 season; I've actually heard the earliest version told, and you can tell it was meant as a joke.

Steve DID strike out 24 batters once (and also walked 19...occured August 31, 1957 in a 9-8 win over the Bluefield Dodgers. Ray Suto was on the mound for Bluefield and I have the rather jaw-dropping recap and box score), but never walked 28 (the most Steve ever walked in a single game was 20, also in 1957, against the Johnson City Phillies). He's actually going to be 71 on June 3, and has been sober and in New Britain, CT since 1994. Not sure where some of the more recent articles have been getting that was still out in CA or inflating his age.

The story I heard on Williams is that he grabbed a bat and stood in against him in spring training. This was after he was retired and was a spring training instructor.

Blog Entries
    "The story I heard on Williams is that he grabbed a bat and stood in against him in spring training. This was after he was retired and was a spring training instructor."

This was Ron Shelton's spin on the story, I believe, after Pat Jordan's accounts of Steve vs. The Splendid Splinter in 1958 and 1959 and then 1960 were disproven. Thing is, after Williams had retired, Steve went to MLB Spring Training only twice: in 1961 and 1963 (Minor League Spring Training was held in Thomasville, GA). Both times, the Red Sox trained in Scottsdale, AZ. And both times, Baltimore trained in Miami, FL. What I've asked both myself and a number of Orioles Minor League managers and other personnel at the time was "what would Williams be doing in FL when his team was training in AZ?" Nobody has come up with a sufficient answer and most of the managers and other personnel I've spoken with are of the opinion that it never happened, though they do tend to stick by Walter Youse's version of the story, which was corroborated by Chuck Estrada and George Henderson (one of Youse's assistants present at the game).

"The story I heard on Williams is that he grabbed a bat and stood in against him in spring training. This was after he was retired and was a spring training instructor."

This was Ron Shelton's spin on the story, I believe, after Pat Jordan's accounts of Steve vs. The Splendid Splinter in 1958 and 1959 and then 1960 were disproven. Thing is, after Williams had retired, Steve went to MLB Spring Training only twice: in 1961 and 1963 (Minor League Spring Training was held in Thomasville, GA). Both times, the Red Sox trained in Scottsdale, AZ. And both times, Baltimore trained in Miami, FL. What I've asked both myself and a number of Orioles Minor League managers and other personnel at the time was "what would Williams be doing in FL when his team was training in AZ?" Nobody has come up with a sufficient answer and most of the managers and other personnel I've spoken with are of the opinion that it never happened, though they do tend to stick by Walter Youse's version of the story, which was corroborated by Chuck Estrada and George Henderson (one of Youse's assistants present at the game).
    Williams lived in Islamorada, FL in the Florida Keys and did a lot of bonefishing there when he retired. Oriole training camp was in Miami which is apx 100 miles, possibly even less from Islamorada. Who is to say Williams didnt go up there to see old friends or even possibly because he had been told of Dalkowski's speed and wanted to see for himself? It seems not only possible, but very probable, to me that Williams would make what is essentially a very easy day trip to Oriole training camp.

Blog Entries
    "Williams lived in Islamorada, FL in the Florida Keys and did a lot of bonefishing there when he retired. Oriole training camp was in Miami which is apx 100 miles, possibly even less from Islamorada. Who is to say Williams didnt go up there to see old friends or even possibly because he had been told of Dalkowski's speed and wanted to see for himself? It seems not only possible, but very probable, to me that Williams would make what is essentially a very easy day trip to Oriole training camp. "

Here's the problem: nobody's seen it. No catcher that ever caught Steve Dalkowski has backed it up. No manager or coach from any Spring Training Steve attended had ever heard of it until Pat Jordan published it in the 1970's. The oldest account was heard in 1960, told by both Steve and Ralph Lairmore in 1960 Spring Training with Stockton (heard it from multiple players, too), and varied considerably from the 1970's version Jordan published. No other player saw it or heard about any kind of aftermath, and I've spoken to multiple regulars from literally every team, including Spring Training squads, that Steve played for. Steve's own accounts of it have varied so widely that there's no consistency from one telling to the other. I can't arrive at any conclusion other than it was made up in 1960 Spring Training.

. He's actually going to be 71 on June 3, and has been sober and in New Britain, CT since 1994. Not sure where some of the more recent articles have been getting that was still out in CA or inflating his age.
    How's he doing?

Blog Entries
    Pretty well physically. I know they had him in a wheel chair for the first pitch at Dodger Stadium, but that's because he walks with a bit of a limp (I'm not sure why) and I don't think they wanted him exacerbating that on the uneven ground of the field. Mentally? Well, he has alcohol-induced dementia. It's a pretty lousy definition of the malady because usually (and I've had this experience with literally over four dozen ballplayers who have asked me in responding to my letter) when someone thinks of "dementia," they think of senile dementia. In that malady, you cannot recover any memories. It's like your memory just sort of fades away and can never be restored. But alcholic dementia, when caught and treated properly, allows the restoration of memories. Not the full restoration, mind you, but at least a partial restoration. Steve's memory is better than it was when I first met him. He can now identify ballplayers--his teammates, mostly, but some opponents--from pictures as opposed to merely names. And something that neither myself nor Steve's sister, Patti Cain, can understand: if you give Steve the name of a ballplayer he played with or against, he can remember in almost exacting detail the following:
    -Handedness (batter or pitcher)
    -Pitch repertoire if a pitcher and a sort of spray chart if a hitter.
    -Any old nicknames the ballplayers picked up (for example, Steve called Dave McNally "Montana Dave," John Miller "The Mule," Frank Bertaina "Frankie Boy," Lloyd Fourroux "The King," Nielsen Cochran "Crazy Nellie," Ellis Olson "Olie," John Dewald "Farmer John," Larry Clayton "Cotton" or "Cot," Pat Gillick was "Books," "Pinky" for Pat McMahon, and "Soup" for Paul Campbell) and any eccentricities his teammates had.
    -Generally where the ballplayer was from and what Steve thought of him if he was a teammate. If not, it's almost like he's reading old scouting reports on hitters or opposing pitchers when he does this.

Did a google search & found a profile of SD on a site called "Bad Sports". Not a promising name but the article seemed pretty good. Plus it had a followup by a guy in the minors who was assigned to stand in a batting cage for 20 minutes against Dalkowski while Earl Weaver studied Steve's motion. (An assignment like that pretty much tells you the organization does NOT envision you in its future plans, I guess!)

I wonder if anyone thought to film the guy in his prime. Being no physical marvel, as such (near-sighted, 5'11", 170 lbs) he must have had just perfect untutored natural mechanics to throw that fast. Priceless study material.

Blog Entries
    "Not a promising name but the article seemed pretty good."

Filled with errors. Herm Starrette's stuff on there is basically all that's accurate. PM me if you want details. Also, the guy that faced Steve was facing him in 1964 (and he never played pro ball, either). Steve had partially torn his MCL in 1963 and lost a good deal of speed off his fastball by 1964. He threw hard, but generally wasn't considered the hardest thrower on his own team in Elmira in 1964. Frank Bertaina and Steve Cosgrove (especially) were considered to throw somewhat harder by then, and Cosgrove struggled violently with his control, as well. When Steve was sent down to Stockton that year, he again found himself the third hardest thrower on the team after Ed Barnowski and Ron Kotick. Makes you wonder about that story a bit...

"I wonder if anyone thought to film the guy in his prime."

The US Army did on a filmreel camera from center field, as a security precaution in 1958 while he was throwing at Aberdeen Proving Grounds' baseball field. Sadly, nobody knows if the film is still viewable and while I'm taking measures to get a copy of the film via a FOIA request and an inquiry into the Aberdeen Proving Grounds Museum as well as the US Army Historical Section...well...I got a lot of red tape to cut through. The Orioles DID film Steve while he was batting, oddly. You can see him as number 41 in the 1961 documentary Paul Richards, Big League Manager. Supposedly, Steve was also filmed warming up for that documentary. Unfortunately, it wound up on the cutting room floor and nobody knows where the footage is. It's also probable that Steve was filmed for the 1962 film The Orioles in Action while training with Rochester. Again, however, absolutely nobody knows where that footage is and believe me, I've tried and I know a good friend who has tried. The Army film is the best hope at this point, IMO, although the 1960 Visalia A's televised all their home games and supposedly saved all their film. Nobody knows where that is, but my guess would be one of the Visalia TV or radio stations...it would be easier to find than the Orioles or Red Wings footage.
    Last edited by Dalkowski110; 04-14-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast