Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Fastest Fastball?

Ah, Well so much for the internet.

As for Teddy Ballgame, if he'd faced this guy he would have mentioned it, in a letter, a conversation, an interview - how many interviewers asked him who the fastest pitcher he ever saw was? All of them, is how many, I'm certain. Drive all the way to see the guy and never mention him? No way. If he didn't talk about facing Steve Dalkowski, he didn't face him.

Blog Entries
    "how many interviewers asked him who the fastest pitcher he ever saw was? All of them, is how many, I'm certain. Drive all the way to see the guy and never mention him? No way. If he didn't talk about facing Steve Dalkowski, he didn't face him."

You nailed it. I also have a very good friend who asked John Henry Williams before he passed away if this ever happened and he said other than his father maybe seeing him throwing and not even getting his name (which he said was a possibility), he said no, it absolutely did not happen. Interestingly, you DO have a number of Major League hitters while they were in the Majors in Spring Training that did face Steve and talked about it...Al Kaline, Roger Maris, Elston Howard, Moose Skowron, Tommy Davis, Maury Wills, Dee Fondy, Don Hoak, Alex Grammas...but they're usually never cited. Gil Hodges is also known to have faced Steve in 1958 during a Spring Training game (someone had come in for Snider, however, and he did not face Steve), though took his opinions away to his grave. Carl Furillo faced him in the same game but again, was never asked about it.
    Last edited by Dalkowski110; 04-15-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
    To top Ryan's record officially, you have to A) be clocked at the Ryan Distance of 50'6" and B) be clocked by a chronograph, not a radar gun.
    What kind of chronograph? I found it was a LASER doppler-effect device.

any one of the three Aberdeen Proving Grounds US Army chronograph tests where he tried getting his fastball through a box-like device just exceeding the width of home plate.
    I understand you are writing or wrote a book about Dalkoswki, so, surely you are pretty well documented. I opened this thread on Documenting clocking intents 1912-1974 to distill the truth from all what can be found on the speed of the pitchers of the past. You may want to check it out, and possibly, if you care, share something of what you know and help set the record straight.

What I've got is that Dalkowski was tested once with a sky screen chronograph.
    Last edited by Mister_D; 07-16-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    I stand corrected...it was indeed a Sky Screen only.
    Last edited by Dalkowski110; 08-07-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Dalkowski110: Did you ever track down any footage of Steve?

He's always been a favorite of mine, also. Have his rookie card and a couple of original photos of him during his playing days -- also and old Elmira Pioneers program with him in it.

One more question: Did I understand you correctly in your post to say that any footage of Steve in the 1962 film "The Orioles in Action" was also cut? I see that this is readily available on DVD.
    Last edited by rhuff1119; 07-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.

This is clearly THE fastest pitcher in recorded history. Possibly (probably?) in the entire history of baseball.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=13936325&c_id=mlb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRf9jvIGP8

Blog Entries
    I am highly skeptical of these radar readings.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I am highly skeptical of these radar readings.
    Skepticism is almost always a good thing.

What do you put 106 at? How about 103? Or 101-102 consistently (based on Chapman's actual velocity record?)

I don't know if someone already posted this years before, but I just saw it yesterday while watching that 1981 ASG on youtube. They showed the clip of Bob Feller's fastball being "timed" by a guy riding a motorcycle (at something like 90+ mph) towards a paper target as Feller threw his famous "Heater from Van Meter" at one right next to it! It looked pretty neat! Not the most accurate thing in the world, but pretty inventive in the time!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

Post 109 shows evidence of over 15 recent fastball pitchers slinging the ball at about the same speed. So I gotta go with Bob Feller whose fastball in his prime
    was heads & tails above every one else at the time. Feller came up in 1936 & struck out 15 in his first major league start and a few weeks later tied the AL strikeout record fanning 17 Athletics, he was 17 at the time. At 19 he led the league in SO's with 246 bobo Newsome was 2nd with 164 & in the NL Bucky Walters was the leader with 137. Feller was even at 19 in a different orbit of speed than the others, he at the time only had 1 pitch, the curve to him was just apiece of baseball nomenclature!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHawkN02 View Post
    Does anyone know who has the fastest recorded pitch in MLB history? If so, please include pitcher and speed of pitch in MPH. My personal guess might be Nolan "Flame Thrower" Ryan, but if aware of one faster, please reply.

Thanks in advance, "TheHawkN02" out.
    Here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngubly4hpHw

Awesome compilation of Aroldis Chapman's first couple years.....perfect song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRf9jvIGP8

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456