Page 3 of 375 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Citi Field Tickets & Concessions

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    That is the only part of your post that bothers me. "The NY market" stuff has been an excuse used here to defend the Mets prices since at least 2006 when I joined baseball fever.

The Phillies tickets are so much cheaper than Mets tickets, yet they share a large part of the market (the state of NJ). And does anyone think the cost of living is cheaper in Metro Boston than the NY area? I have a friend that relocated to suburban Virginia only to find out that market around Spotsylvania VA was much higher than where she lived in Warwick NY. The Nats charge a lot less than the Mets. I have relatives in Moraga CA, and relatives in Palos Verde CA and their cost of living is much higher than mine, yet Dodgers, Angels, Giants and A's tickets, even Padres too, cost much less than NY.

The NY Yankees are 'the NY market' as far as pricing goes. Same with the Knicks and Rangers. The Mets, Isles and Nets are not on that tier. They are all on some "sub tier" where tickets should not be priced as high as the others.
    Both the Yankees and Mets are the NY market, but they're different segments of the same market with the Yankees occupying the upper echelon and the Mets below. Besides, I don't think your numbers are all correct.

According to this year's MLB Fan Cost Index (https://www.teammarketing.com/public...11_mlb_fci.pdf), the Phillies are virtually the same cost as the Mets with the average Philly ticket actually higher than the average Mets ticket. This is offset by the Mets having a much higher premium ticket cost vs. the Phillies. Total fan cost is virtually the same.

Similarly, the Red Sox cost is very similar to the Yankees and has been for a number of years. Their total cost is much higher than the Mets.

The Dodgers are slightly lower than the Mets but not significantly so. Average ticket price is virtually identical to the Mets with the Dodgers premium ticket average much higher than the Mets.

The other teams that you mention are definitely lower than the Mets. But what does any of this prove? To me, it means that "the market" goes beyond a simple question of cost of living. I think the market is specific to a fan base. The Mets know they don't have the fan base of the Yankees; therefore, their ticket prices reflect that. They overcharged in 2009 and 2010 and have adjusted accordingly. That's how business works, adjusting to your market.

Just to add a little more to my previous post re: "the market":

The more I think about what constitutes the market, I am certain that cost of living is a factor but not a major one. I think it's much more related to the fan base, whether that fan base is really a baseball fan base, for instance. I don't think anyone can dispute the claim that NY is a baseball town and LA really isn't. Everyone knows how their fans often arrive at games late and leave early. Yes, part of it has to do with their horrific traffic but it also reflects the fan base's mentality. Another example: during Atlanta's incredible playoff run of 14 consecutive division titles, it was not that unusual to see plenty of empty seats at Turner Field. Would this ever happen in NY? I think not. Atlanta is much more of a football town. College football is probably more popular than MLB baseball.

So...the market goes way beyond a superficial glance at a locality's cost of living. It involves the deep-seated fervor of the fan base. At least that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnql View Post
    Just to add a little more to my previous post re: "the market":

The more I think about what constitutes the market, I am certain that cost of living is a factor but not a major one. I think it's much more related to the fan base, whether that fan base is really a baseball fan base, for instance. I don't think anyone can dispute the claim that NY is a baseball town and LA really isn't. Everyone knows how their fans often arrive at games late and leave early. Yes, part of it has to do with their horrific traffic but it also reflects the fan base's mentality. Another example: during Atlanta's incredible playoff run of 14 consecutive division titles, it was not that unusual to see plenty of empty seats at Turner Field. Would this ever happen in NY? I think not. Atlanta is much more of a football town. College football is probably more popular than MLB baseball.

So...the market goes way beyond a superficial glance at a locality's cost of living. It involves the deep-seated fervor of the fan base. At least that's how I see it.
    I would agree with that... The passion of the NY baseball fan goes back many years and generations.

The NY Mets are as much the NY market as the NY Islanders have become. Unless you are on a forum like this (or others) then the Mets are really close to being irrelevant to the market as a whole. Mets fans can deny this, but the prices for Mets tickets reflect this.

This season, I could get Isles tickets first row behind the bench cheaper than I could get Rangers tickets in the old blue seats, last row behind the goal. With the way things are going, the Mets will have the emptiest 25,000 tickets sold history in MLB history.

The Yankees are NYC and have been since 1995. The Mets were on that level at one time, but it will be years before they are a "NY team" again.

The average ticket prices for teams like the Phillies are skewed. Their best seats are much cheaper, the upper deck is close in price. Very few teams have $400 tickets like the Mets.

I am headed to CA in August when the Mets are in SD. I might see the LAD, LAA, and the Mets in SD. So far, I see prices much cheaper than the Mets box office.

Quote Originally Posted by foulpole View Post
    You are claiming that the Mets are flooding the secondary market with heavily discounted tickets. This may be true, and there is evidence to support this claim, but the Giants ARE NOT flooding the secondary market. Their primary sales are based on fluctuating prices, while the Mets primary sales are based on fixed prices. I fail to see how the Giants fluctuating price structure for their primary sales is concrete proof that the Mets are flooding the secondary market.
    Primary or secondary market does not matter, it's the practice itself of selling tickets based on supply and demand in the open market. That practice which is something the Giants do is now what the Mets are engaging in. The whole point is that TEAMS are selling tickets with fluctuating prices, what market it is has no bearing on what I'm talking about. You might be talking about something totally different because quite frankly I have no clue why you care what market it is.

Now if you believe that a bunch of poor soles purchased blocks of crappy upper deck season tickets (all while knowing this team was going to be mediocore) hoping to sell them on Stub Hub and would turn a profit, well then I'm speechless.

Why I have season tickets for the Mets

Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    ... why would any fan buy season tickets next year?
    Below is an answer to your question. It is not a "defense". It is a list of reasons that apply to me. Your results may vary:

I've been going to Mets games since 1965. Guess I'm hooked.

I really enjoy Citi Field. I enjoy good baseball, even if only the other team is playing it.

I love having my pick of games to attend / give away / sell.

I'm blessed to be able to afford them.

I sit in Row 1 of a price break section. Great view; great for sales which enhances affordability.

I live pretty close to the stadium.

My wife is thrilled.

Renewal rights in same great location.

Playoff rights, someday.

When I eventually retire, I'm gonna have something fun to do at my fingertips 81 times a year, if I want to.

It annoys Mongoose. (Kidding).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B. View Post
    Below is an answer to your question. It is not a "defense". It is a list of reasons that apply to me. Your results may vary:

I really enjoy Citi Field. I enjoy good baseball, even if only the other team is playing it.

I sit in Row 1 of a price break section. Great view; great for sales which enhances affordability.

My wife is thrilled.

Playoff rights, someday.

When I eventually retire, I'm gonna have something fun to do at my fingertips 81 times a year, if I want to.

All of these are very valid reasons. My favorite is that your wife is thrilled. If you group all of those reasons, and then add to it that your wife likes going, then I don't think you need to justify why you are going to games as a FST. They did give you a huge discount this season, and I would think you are going to see further discounts.

Blog Entries
    That is the only part of your post that bothers me. "The NY market" stuff has been an excuse used here to defend the Mets prices since at least 2006 when I joined baseball fever.

The Phillies tickets are so much cheaper than Mets tickets, yet they share a large part of the market (the state of NJ). And does anyone think the cost of living is cheaper in Metro Boston than the NY area? I have a friend that relocated to suburban Virginia only to find out that market around Spotsylvania VA was much higher than where she lived in Warwick NY. The Nats charge a lot less than the Mets. I have relatives in Moraga CA, and relatives in Palos Verde CA and their cost of living is much higher than mine, yet Dodgers, Angels, Giants and A's tickets, even Padres too, cost much less than NY.

The NY Yankees are 'the NY market' as far as pricing goes. Same with the Knicks and Rangers. The Mets, Isles and Nets are not on that tier. They are all on some "sub tier" where tickets should not be priced as high as the others.
    Mets tickets are less than Yankee tickets. Parking and food is also less expensive at Citi Field. Isles, Devil and Net tickets are also much less expensive than the Garden, also including parking and concessions. The mets are currently involved in a price correction. They lowered prices across the board last offseason and are now giving STH free tickets and heavily discounting many games. As many of us have said before, all they have to do is win. Citi Field sold real well in 2009 when we thought we had a contending team, and those prices were ridiculious. There is a direct correlation in winning and selling tickets, even with the Yankees. The Rangers and Knicks are lucky to have a few hundred thousand foreign tourists staying blocks away from there arena nightly that helps there attendance during there lean years.

All of these are very valid reasons. My favorite is that your wife is thrilled. If you group all of those reasons, and then add to it that your wife likes going, then I don't think you need to justify why you are going to games as a FST. They did give you a huge discount this season, and I would think you are going to see further discounts.
    The best advice I ever received was "A happy wife is a happy life".

My wife is thrilled.

Playoff rights, someday.

The only valid answer to my question which you wrote is playoff rights. But the way this team is going and with no more access to free Bernie Madoff money, the Mets will not make the playoffs this year or next.

The only valid answer to my question which you wrote is playoff rights. But the way this team is going and with no more access to free Bernie Madoff money, the Mets will not make the playoffs this year or next.
    Guess what, I couldn't care less if you deem my answer "valid" or not. I wasn't seeking your approval, believe me.

Guess what, I couldn't care less if you deem my answer "valid" or not. I wasn't seeking your approval, believe me.
    Obviously you were not following along and either did not read the question correctly nor understood why I asked it. I forgive you.

Primary or secondary market does not matter.....
    Actually, that's what makes all the difference.

Obviously you were not following along and either did not read the question correctly nor understood why I asked it. I forgive you.
    Just what we need, another poster with a condescending, patronizing attitude towards everyone who takes another approach. Trying to bait people into arguments by mocking them ("tasty crab cakes"; "obviously ... You don't understand"; "I forgive you."). Oh well.

Were you kicked off another internet Mets forum for constantly starting arguments? I think I recall something...........

Just what we need, another poster with a condescending, patronizing attitude towards everyone who takes another approach. Trying to bait people into arguments by mocking them ("tasty crab cakes"; "obviously ... You don't understand"; "I forgive you."). Oh well.

Good lord! First you didn't read the initial question I posed correctly. Then you get mad at me for saying your answers weren't valid in relation to that question I posed. When I said your answers weren't valid you come back at me with a snippy tone, but it was you who didn't read the question correctly and follow along as to why I asked it.

I was at the game last night. No point in beating the dead horse over how bad they looked, and there were no more than 5-6,000 in the stands tops. The upside was absolutely no lines at the Promenade food concourse. I mean nada, zero, none. And the ushers attempts to stop patrons going into CC was half hearted at best. I think the guy who let us through wanted a tip, but I am not sure.

What I want to write about is how this team can make even a discount ticket package backfire. My Flex Pack PRI tix have $20.50 as face, not $15. So instead a $60 credit towards Pirates tix, I have $82. Individually not a big deal, and who wants to see the Pirates anyway. Imagine if OD was rained out. Lots of happy people would have $45 tix worth only $20.50 in rainchecks.

Quote Originally Posted by ribant View Post
    I was at the game last night. No point in beating the dead horse over how bad they looked, and there were no more than 5-6,000 in the stands tops. The upside was absolutely no lines at the Promenade food concourse. I mean nada, zero, none. And the ushers attempts to stop patrons going into CC was half hearted at best. I think the guy who let us through wanted a tip, but I am not sure.

What I want to write about is how this team can make even a discount ticket package backfire. My Flex Pack PRI tix have $20.50 as face, not $15. So instead a $60 credit towards Pirates tix, I have $82. Individually not a big deal, and who wants to see the Pirates anyway. Imagine if OD was rained out. Lots of happy people would have $45 tix worth only $20.50 in rainchecks.
    Well, that is a roll-down impact from the Flex Pack and the fact they count attendance as tickets sold.

If the Mets actually GAVE you the freebie, then that ticket would have a $0.00 value on it. No biggie for you, as odds are they will play those marquee games., but not so good for them, as those tickets with no face ($0.00) cannot be counted towards attendance.

So, the Mets give you a ticket, but spread the cost over several tickets so that those tickets can be counted towards attendance. It's all about making the numbers look good.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Quote Originally Posted by ribant View Post
    No contest. Randazzo's has the best red sauce in the friggin' universe
    Indeed. I think if I took a blind taste test, I'd guess Randazzo's sauce correctly 100 times out of 100. Incredibly good - either hot, medium or sweet - on their scungilli, shrimp or calamari, but I could feast on it alone with some Italian bread (or their hard biscuit).

Looks like the predict-the-attendance contest may not work out; somebody on the other side is cheatin'. I didn't catch last night's game (watched the Knicks), but I live close enough to CF to know it was a wet, chilly, unpleasant Tuesday night in April.

27,000? Cannot be. Maybe they're counting as sales, all the tix they wholesaled out for pennies on the dollar, if that's what they did.

Would anyone who attended or watched care to comment on what the true attendance appeared to be?

Page 3 of 375 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast