Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217
Results 5,401 to 5,424 of 5424

Thread: Citi Field Tickets & Concessions

FLUSHING, N.Y., December 21, 2014 – The New York Mets today announced the Steve Miller Band will perform at Citi Field on Saturday, June 27 after the Mets take on the Cincinnati Reds and Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Heart will play Saturday, July 25 after the Mets play host to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
    The Saturday post-game performances begin approximately 20 minutes after the conclusion of each game from a stage in the outfield behind second base. Admission to the concert is included in the price of the game ticket. Tickets start at $20 and are available at Mets.com/Concerts. Both concerts are part of the Mets Postgame Concert Series. The third show — scheduled for Saturday, August 15 when the Mets play host to the Pittsburgh Pirates starting at 7:10 p.m., will be announced in the weeks ahead.
    Steve Miller Band will perform following the Mets’ 4:10 p.m. game vs. the Cincinnati Reds on Saturday, June 27. The Bay-Area based classic rock band has sold over six million copies of their album Greatest Hits 1974-1978 and produced seven Billboard Top 100 singles including “Take The Money And Run,” “Fly Like An Eagle” and “The Joker.” One of rock music’s all-time greats, the Steve Miller Band has sold more than 40 million records in a career spanning more than 40 years. His trademark blues-rock sound made him one of the key artists in classic rock radio.
    Heart will perform following the Mets’ 7:10 p.m. game vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday, July 25. The Grammy-nominated rock band, which was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013, has sold over 35 million records worldwide. The band has also had 20 Top 40 singles and achieved Top 10 albums on the Billboard Album Chart in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2010s, the longest span of Top 10 albums by a female fronted band. Recently, the group was ranked 57 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock” and the Wilson sisters, Ann and Nancy, ranked 40 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Women in Rock and Roll.” In 2012, Heart received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Metsies8 View Post
    FLUSHING, N.Y., December 21, 2014 – The New York Mets today announced the Steve Miller Band will perform at Citi Field on Saturday, June 27 after the Mets take on the Cincinnati Reds and Rock & Roll Hall of Famers Heart will play Saturday, July 25 after the Mets play host to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
    The Saturday post-game performances begin approximately 20 minutes after the conclusion of each game from a stage in the outfield behind second base. Admission to the concert is included in the price of the game ticket. Tickets start at $20 and are available at Mets.com/Concerts. Both concerts are part of the Mets Postgame Concert Series. The third show — scheduled for Saturday, August 15 when the Mets play host to the Pittsburgh Pirates starting at 7:10 p.m., will be announced in the weeks ahead.
    Steve Miller Band will perform following the Mets’ 4:10 p.m. game vs. the Cincinnati Reds on Saturday, June 27. The Bay-Area based classic rock band has sold over six million copies of their album Greatest Hits 1974-1978 and produced seven Billboard Top 100 singles including “Take The Money And Run,” “Fly Like An Eagle” and “The Joker.” One of rock music’s all-time greats, the Steve Miller Band has sold more than 40 million records in a career spanning more than 40 years. His trademark blues-rock sound made him one of the key artists in classic rock radio.
    Heart will perform following the Mets’ 7:10 p.m. game vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers on Saturday, July 25. The Grammy-nominated rock band, which was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013, has sold over 35 million records worldwide. The band has also had 20 Top 40 singles and achieved Top 10 albums on the Billboard Album Chart in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2010s, the longest span of Top 10 albums by a female fronted band. Recently, the group was ranked 57 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock” and the Wilson sisters, Ann and Nancy, ranked 40 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Women in Rock and Roll.” In 2012, Heart received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Two great concerts for old guys like me.

Quote Originally Posted by robardin View Post
    The Baltimore Orioles, in existence since 1901
    Those Baltimore Orioles moved to New York in 1903 and eventually became the Yankees.
    X
    Edith Bunker (responding to her husband's outrage that his beloved daughter was cheating on her "Meathead" husband): No matter what she done, it's none of your business!
    Archie Bunker: Whaddya talkin' about, it's the world's business!
    Edith: No, it ain't the world's business, neither!
    Archie: Well, it's certainly God's business!
    Edith: Then you let God tend to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Those Baltimore Orioles moved to New York in 1903 and eventually became the Yankees.
    No, those were a different team called the Baltimore Orioles; the present Orioles franchise moved to Baltimore from St. Louis (1902-1943), whence they moved after their single initial year (1901) as the Milwaukee Brewers(!) before moving to Baltimore in 1954. (Hence the clarifying reference in my prior post to their "deeply sorry history before arriving in Baltimore as the St. Louis Browns"). The team that would become the present-day Yankees did start in Baltimore in 1901 and were indeed named the Orioles, but only played there for 2 years before moving to NY in 1903 (as the "Highlanders").

Interestingly, while looking up info to confirm these dates, I discovered that from 1903-1953 there still was a team in Baltimore called the Orioles, but it played in what are now the minor leagues. Technically 1903-1914 and 1916-1953, with a one year break after the first team's independent baseball league folded. When MLB moved the Browns to Baltimore in 1954 they assumed the mantle of the big league team and co-opted the city's baseball team name. The erstwhile Orioles they bumped moved to Richmond as the Virginians, and after 10 years there, moved again to become today's Toledo Mud Hens.
    Last edited by robardin; 12-22-2014 at 06:20 AM.
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

No, those were a different team called the Baltimore Orioles; the present Orioles franchise moved to Baltimore from St. Louis (1902-1943), whence they moved after their single initial year (1901) as the Milwaukee Brewers(!) before moving to Baltimore in 1954. (Hence the clarifying reference in my prior post to their "deeply sorry history before arriving in Baltimore as the St. Louis Browns"). The team that would become the present-day Yankees did start in Baltimore in 1901 and were indeed named the Orioles, but only played there for 2 years before moving to NY in 1903 (as the "Highlanders").

Interestingly, while looking up info to confirm these dates, I discovered that from 1903-1953 there still was a team in Baltimore called the Orioles, but it played in what are now the minor leagues. Technically 1903-1914 and 1916-1953, with a one year break after the first team's independent baseball league folded. When MLB moved the Browns to Baltimore in 1954 they assumed the mantle of the big league team and co-opted the city's baseball team name. The erstwhile Orioles they bumped moved to Richmond as the Virginians, and after 10 years there, moved again to become today's Toledo Mud Hens.
    I'm surprised you've never heard of the Minor League team of the first part of the 20th Century. Jack Dunn discovered Babe Ruth and sold him to the Red Sox. He then discovered Lefty Grove and held him out of MLB until he got a fortune for him. It might not be a surprise to know his teams were a powerhouse that dominated the International League.

A lot of his players had good Major League careers - when he finally sold them to the Major Leagues.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I'm surprised you've never heard of the Minor League team of the first part of the 20th Century. Jack Dunn discovered Babe Ruth and sold him to the Red Sox. He then discovered Lefty Grove and held him out of MLB until he got a fortune for him. It might not be a surprise to know his teams were a powerhouse that dominated the International League.

A lot of his players had good Major League careers - when he finally sold them to the Major Leagues.
    Yeah, I knew Babe Ruth got started playing professional ball in an "independent" league in Baltimore, I just didn't realize they were also called the Orioles. I wondered what kind of deal had to go down to have that team give up the name and move out of town when MLB moved the Browns. Turns out, the same guy bought both franchises. Very neat.
    «Telle est la vie des hommes. Quelques joies, très vite effacées par d’inoubliables chagrins. Il n'est pas nécessaire de le dire aux enfants...» (Marcel Pagnol)

Quote Originally Posted by Metsies8 View Post
    Two great concerts for old guys like me.
    Hey. Did you know Steve Miller is a... Space Cowboy?! Bet you weren't ready for THAT!

Yeah, I knew Babe Ruth got started playing professional ball in an "independent" league in Baltimore, I just didn't realize they were also called the Orioles.
    X
    Edith Bunker (responding to her husband's outrage that his beloved daughter was cheating on her "Meathead" husband): No matter what she done, it's none of your business!

For anybody who might be interested, there's a Kickstarter campaign aiming to display two billboards near Citi Field demanding that the Wilpons sell the team. See link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Quote Originally Posted by johnql View Post
    For anybody who might be interested, there's a Kickstarter campaign aiming to display two billboards near Citi Field demanding that the Wilpons sell the team. See link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search
    Well, it sure would beat how that exact billboard on Roosevelt Ave. and 126th St. displayed a Johnnie Walker ad featuring the NY Yankees logo (and not much else) when the ballpark opened up - I remember seeing it while on line for the first ever Mr. Met Dash at Citi Field in late April or early May of 2009. For all I know it was up there for the first ever home opener, too.

Well, it sure would beat how that exact billboard on Roosevelt Ave. and 126th St. displayed a Johnnie Walker ad featuring the NY Yankees logo (and not much else) when the ballpark opened up - I remember seeing it while on line for the first ever Mr. Met Dash at Citi Field in late April or early May of 2009. For all I know it was up there for the first ever home opener, too.
    Unfortunately, I don't have any shots of that in my archives. But I do have this, taken a couple of years later (unfortunately, I had only seen it once before so I didn't know exactly where it was and couldn't get it framed properly, this is the best I've got)...

(Photo taken September 1, 2011. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

This sign was on a building located just before the 74th Street/Broadway station (when heading east towards Citi Field).

But that's not to say there weren't protest ads during that first season, although their concerns were more of an eminent domain nature than any thoughts of the quality of play on the field...

(Photo taken April 13, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

(Photo taken July 18, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X

^ Oh, look! PROTEST banners! Are those violins I hear? :lol:

("So we can all be safe at home...in broken-down rusted-out stinking junk-filled auto chop shops.")
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

follow up story to my computer glitch confirmation e-mail, I got a voice mail from my new ticket rep on Monday apologizing for the glitch and confirming that everything went through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ Oh, look! PROTEST banners! Are those violins I hear? :lol:

("So we can all be safe at home...in broken-down rusted-out stinking junk-filled auto chop shops.")
    You should re-title your posts IDIOTS DELIGHT,
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Yeah, I knew Babe Ruth got started playing professional ball in an "independent" league in Baltimore, I just didn't realize they were also called the Orioles. I wondered what kind of deal had to go down to have that team give up the name and move out of town when MLB moved the Browns. Turns out, the same guy bought both franchises. Very neat.
    Ruth played for the AAA International League Orioles. They weren't part of an "independent" league. The International League was and is a part of Organized Baseball. No minor league teams back then had working agreements with major league clubs. That wouldn't start for over a decade.

There was an "independent" league around back then, the Federal League that played in 1914-15 and challenged the National and American Leagues. And there were plenty of "independent" minor leagues around then too, as there are today. The IL just wasn't one of them.
    Last edited by The Old Ballpark; 01-07-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Instead of filling holes on the team the Wilpons just spent on a giant new scoreboard to flash ads more effectively. Typical.

What's shocking and disheartening is despite giving fans the finger every chance they get, ticket sales are apparently up significantly:

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2015/01...ast-year.html/

Mets Tickets Sales Are Up 19 Percent Over Last Year
    An article by Dennis Beeston posted on January 21, 2015

Mets ticket sales are exceeding expectations and are now projected to be significantly higher over last year, Mets chief revenue officer Lou DePaoli told Newsday.

“Obviously, we’re going to project for the attendance to go up again,” said DePaoli. “We’re still trying to wrap our hands around exactly what that could look like. Ticket sales are up 19.26 percent ahead of last year, season tickets are up 12.5 percent. What we look at it is that we’re pacing in the right direction. At this time last year, we were pacing about 1 percent up and we wound up .62 percent up from 2013...

I notice some former plan holders who fled after the swindle of 2009 have been talking about jumping back in.

Why should the Wilpons regard Mets fans with anything but contempt if ticket sales go up after an off-season like this?

Blog Entries
    Instead of filling holes on the team the Wilpons just spent on a giant new scoreboard to flash ads more effectively. Typical.

What's shocking and disheartening is despite giving fans the finger every chance they get, ticket sales are apparently up significantly:

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2015/01...ast-year.html/

Mets Tickets Sales Are Up 19 Percent Over Last Year
    An article by Dennis Beeston posted on January 21, 2015

Mets ticket sales are exceeding expectations and are now projected to be significantly higher over last year, Mets chief revenue officer Lou DePaoli told Newsday.

“Obviously, we’re going to project for the attendance to go up again,” said DePaoli. “We’re still trying to wrap our hands around exactly what that could look like. Ticket sales are up 19.26 percent ahead of last year, season tickets are up 12.5 percent. What we look at it is that we’re pacing in the right direction. At this time last year, we were pacing about 1 percent up and we wound up .62 percent up from 2013...

I notice some former plan holders who fled after the swindle of 2009 have been talking about jumping back in.

Why should the Wilpons regard Mets fans with anything but contempt if ticket sales go up after an off-season like this?
    I think the only person who views Met fans with contempt is you. Every Met fan wants their team to get better. Short of trading numerous top prospects for talented but risky players, What could they have done to make the team better? Did they need to pay a pitcher 210 million for 7 years when he will probably only be above average for 3 or 4 more years, best case scenario? Should they have paid a once great SS when he felt like playing current great SS money to play LF? Remember, money spent foolishly today can effect your ability to improve it tomorrow. I hear Arod's available, hell, he used to play SS too! Maybe they should call Cashman? We know they will not because they are cheap. Lucky for us Met fans.

Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    I think the only person who views Met fans with contempt is you. Every Met fan wants their team to get better. Short of trading numerous top prospects for talented but risky players, What could they have done to make the team better? Did they need to pay a pitcher 210 million for 7 years when he will probably only be above average for 3 or 4 more years, best case scenario? Should they have paid a once great SS when he felt like playing current great SS money to play LF? Remember, money spent foolishly today can effect your ability to improve it tomorrow. I hear Arod's available, hell, he used to play SS too! Maybe they should call Cashman? We know they will not because they are cheap. Lucky for us Met fans.
    As you've read over the years on the Mets board, I'd have resigned Reyes, signed Jose Abreu, not dealt Collin McHugh, put together a package for Cespedes that beat the crummy one Tampa Bay supplied in last year's 3 player trade. That last one could have been done for less than a Syndergaard.

All of those would have been gentle with the thing you seem to value most: Fred's wallet.

It's an achievement Fred's probably proud of: to have a significant segment of fans using straw man arguments to defend his pillage of the franchise. Fred has no reason to bother spending money on acquiring players for you, but enjoy the bigger advertisements on Fred's fine new scoreboard.

Blog Entries
    As you've read over the years on the Mets board, I'd have resigned Reyes, signed Jose Abreu, not dealt Collin McHugh, put together a package for Cespedes that beat the crummy one Tampa Bay supplied in last year's 3 player trade. That last one could have been done for less than a Syndergaard.

All of those would have been gentle with the thing you seem to value most: Fred's wallet.

It's an achievement Fred's probably proud of: to have a significant segment of fans using straw man arguments to defend his pillage of the franchise. Fred has no reason to bother spending money on acquiring players for you, but enjoy the bigger advertisements on Fred's fine new scoreboard.
    All of those moves would have been great, hindsight is a beautiful thing. I am sure you were also all for the Beltran, Dickey and Byrd deals. All sarcasm aside, we have seen a team develop a very good/deep farm system over the past few years. I am all for using it to make the team better. However, I do have way more confidence in this front office to make the right decisions than I have in a long time. Lets see how it plays out before we are ready to blow it up. I do think you hope/believe you can enjoy this team this year? Tell us the truth. I also think ticket sales are up because there is enthusiasm and still a lot of great seats available because of the lack of plan/STH's the last few years. Come on Goose, enjoy Mets baseball again. You can outlast the Wilpon's. DON'T LET THEM WIN!!

I DVR Perry Mason on ME TV. Recently I saw the episode (the only one of 271) where he lost...only to win it on appeal. And that is how I felt when you took this so called surge of Mets tickets at face value. Really, tickets are up nearly 20% ??? Really??? Wait one second here.....didn't the woman who used to be in charge of Mets tickets sales launch a sexual harassment / discrimination lawsuit at the Mets. Isn't this Jeff's opening salvo? Didn't anyone else smell a rat?

Mongoose, I expected the pom-pon squad to accept this surge; I expected you to break this case !

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...roll-stays-low

"The Mets are claiming a massive surge in ticket sales this off-season, even as the team's payroll remains tight.

Ticket sales are up 19.26 percent over last year, according to Mets executive vice president Lou DePaoli. The numbers represent what would be an astonishing outlier for a team that's failed to add any high-priced talent this offseason or post a winning record since 2008, the two primary drivers of attendance spikes for baseball teams.

And the reported surge in ticket sales would also seem to fly in the face of a promise by the team's financially troubled owners to increase payroll when revenue rose.

Why would the team invite such trouble with its fan base, after years of misleadingly sunny projections and unfulfilled spending pledges?

It makes sense, perhaps, in the context of a lawsuit against the team by a former Mets executive who was in charge of ticket sales, who the team claims to have fired for business reasons.

The former employee, Leigh Castergine, is suing Mets C.O.O. Jeff Wilpon and the team for alleged sexual discrimination stemming from her pregnancy during her time as executive vice president of ticket sales. A nearly 20 percent increase in ticket sales during the first offseason after Castergine undermines a claim in her lawsuit that the team's slashing of payroll and public lies about ability to spend created an impossible atmosphere in which to sell tickets. After all, those conditions haven't changed.

Official attendance is counted by the team, based on tickets sold, rather than who steps through the gate. And ultimately, teams can provide giveaways to pad those numbers accordingly. So there's little to stop the Mets from claiming attendance is whatever they want, no matter how many empty seats there are at Citi Field, and why there's often audible laughter in the press box when the attendance number is announced.

But DePaoli talked about "ticket sales", not "ticket giveaways." And 19.26 percent is a very big number.

Team revenue has been trending steadily downward, thanks to annual filings the team must make in conjunction with the roughly $43 million they pay annually to service debt against Citi Field.

According to those filings, the Mets saw overall revenue drop to $119.2 million in 2013. That's well off the $180.4 million from 2009, when Citi Field opened.

The team actually saw attendance rise slightly in 2014, 0.62 percent, to 2,148,808. But the numbers are similar enough that revenue almost certainly remained at similar levels, though we'll know for sure later this year when the Mets make their 2014 filing.
    If we assume that overall revenue, which includes parking, concessions, advertising, luxury suites, is moving in line with this apparent attendance jump, as it typically does for MLB teams, that would mean $23 million or so in new revenue.

And that would be a big positive, in terms of the owners' financial picture, which has been grim ever since their investments in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme evaporated.

But despite messaging going back several years from owner Fred Wilpon on down, that payroll would only rise beyond the bottom-fifth in baseball levels once fans came back, there's been no corresponding increase in payroll this winter.

"This is, to me, a break-even business," Wilpon said back in February 2013. "I always strive to break even. I'm not looking to make any money. I strive to break even. So if [fans] don't show up, that's hard. So you have to balance it."

The team payroll on Opening Day 2014 was just over $89 million. It's at around $96.7 million at the moment for 2015, by best estimates, and the Mets are actively looking to trade Dillon Gee and his $5.3 million salary to bring it down to right around $92 million, or a stone's throw from last season.

Then again, perhaps the Mets are right to be cautious until they've banked all that new cash from the massive jump in attendance, since there's no recent analogue for such a rise in recent MLB history, even among teams that pumped a ton of new money into payroll or experienced unexpected success.

The Seattle Mariners experienced the biggest jump in attendance in 2014, going from 1,761,546 in 2013 to 2,064,334, a rise of 302,788, or a jump of 17.1 percent, by far the biggest increase.

This didn't happen in a vacuum, though. The Mariners went out and paid Robinson Cano, the best player on the free agent market, $240 million over ten years. This came a few months after extending their best pitcher, Felix Hernandez, at $175 million over seven years. Other talent, like Kendry Morales, Fernando Rodney and Austin Jackson, came in as well. And the team went out and improved from 71 wins in 2013 to 87 wins in 2014.

A 19.26 percent jump in ticket sales means the Mets are projecting 2.56 million tickets sold in 2015. That would be a jump of 413,860 tickets sold, or 37 percent higher than the best-case scenario from 2014, a team that spent hundreds of millions to improve the team roster.

An email sent by another Mets executive, which was given to Capital, cited a number of games as "of highest demand", including Opening Day, Jacob deGrom Garden Gnome Giveaway Day on May 2, the Steve Miller Band postgame day June 27, Juan Lagares Bobblehead Day on July 11, and the Heart postgame concert day on July 25. But thanks to the handy select-a-seat technology on Mets.com—an innovation, incidentally, of Castergine's—it is possible to see that tickets are still available for all these games, in massive bunches, in virtually every price range.

Perhaps those tickets will be snapped up if the Mets have a particularly good season in 2015. But really, the winning is secondary, as it drives ticket sales. Payroll is most closely correlated to a jump in demand.

According to the Mets, they've managed the feat without having to spend the money, or win yet, perhaps the kind of economic miracle that might explain why the new baseball commissioner just made Fred Wilpon chairman of MLB's Finance Committee.

But those newly energized fans are probably going to be pretty upset when they figure out that even the absurd talking point from Wilpon to cover the real reason for a massive drop in spending on the team—the diversion of team and television revenue to finance Wilpon's parent company debt—didn't come to pass even when the team asserts that fans held up their end of the bargain.

Or as Fred Wilpon put it back in February 2013, "The payroll will be commensurate with anything we've ever done because we can do it. Remember, the people have to come to the ballpark obviously. If you have a competitive team, they will. Everything that was in the past, that you guys saw the pain that we went through, is gone. It's gone."

Clearly, even if you buy the team's new math, it's not. "

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    I DVR Perry Mason on ME TV. Recently I saw the episode (the only one of 271) where he lost...only to win it on appeal. And that is how I felt when you took this so called surge of Mets tickets at face value. Really, tickets are up nearly 20% ??? Really??? Wait one second here.....didn't the woman who used to be in charge of Mets tickets sales launch a sexual harassment / discrimination lawsuit at the Mets. Isn't this Jeff's opening salvo? Didn't anyone else smell a rat?

Mongoose, I expected the pom-pon squad to accept this surge; I expected you to break this case !

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...roll-stays-low

"The Mets are claiming a massive surge in ticket sales this off-season, even as the team's payroll remains tight.

Ticket sales are up 19.26 percent over last year, according to Mets executive vice president Lou DePaoli. The numbers represent what would be an astonishing outlier for a team that's failed to add any high-priced talent this offseason or post a winning record since 2008, the two primary drivers of attendance spikes for baseball teams.

And the reported surge in ticket sales would also seem to fly in the face of a promise by the team's financially troubled owners to increase payroll when revenue rose.

Why would the team invite such trouble with its fan base, after years of misleadingly sunny projections and unfulfilled spending pledges?

It makes sense, perhaps, in the context of a lawsuit against the team by a former Mets executive who was in charge of ticket sales, who the team claims to have fired for business reasons.

The former employee, Leigh Castergine, is suing Mets C.O.O. Jeff Wilpon and the team for alleged sexual discrimination stemming from her pregnancy during her time as executive vice president of ticket sales. A nearly 20 percent increase in ticket sales during the first offseason after Castergine undermines a claim in her lawsuit that the team's slashing of payroll and public lies about ability to spend created an impossible atmosphere in which to sell tickets. After all, those conditions haven't changed.

Official attendance is counted by the team, based on tickets sold, rather than who steps through the gate. And ultimately, teams can provide giveaways to pad those numbers accordingly. So there's little to stop the Mets from claiming attendance is whatever they want, no matter how many empty seats there are at Citi Field, and why there's often audible laughter in the press box when the attendance number is announced.

But DePaoli talked about "ticket sales", not "ticket giveaways." And 19.26 percent is a very big number.

Team revenue has been trending steadily downward, thanks to annual filings the team must make in conjunction with the roughly $43 million they pay annually to service debt against Citi Field.

According to those filings, the Mets saw overall revenue drop to $119.2 million in 2013. That's well off the $180.4 million from 2009, when Citi Field opened.

The team actually saw attendance rise slightly in 2014, 0.62 percent, to 2,148,808. But the numbers are similar enough that revenue almost certainly remained at similar levels, though we'll know for sure later this year when the Mets make their 2014 filing.
    If we assume that overall revenue, which includes parking, concessions, advertising, luxury suites, is moving in line with this apparent attendance jump, as it typically does for MLB teams, that would mean $23 million or so in new revenue.

And that would be a big positive, in terms of the owners' financial picture, which has been grim ever since their investments in Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme evaporated.

But despite messaging going back several years from owner Fred Wilpon on down, that payroll would only rise beyond the bottom-fifth in baseball levels once fans came back, there's been no corresponding increase in payroll this winter.

"This is, to me, a break-even business," Wilpon said back in February 2013. "I always strive to break even. I'm not looking to make any money. I strive to break even. So if [fans] don't show up, that's hard. So you have to balance it."

The team payroll on Opening Day 2014 was just over $89 million. It's at around $96.7 million at the moment for 2015, by best estimates, and the Mets are actively looking to trade Dillon Gee and his $5.3 million salary to bring it down to right around $92 million, or a stone's throw from last season.

Then again, perhaps the Mets are right to be cautious until they've banked all that new cash from the massive jump in attendance, since there's no recent analogue for such a rise in recent MLB history, even among teams that pumped a ton of new money into payroll or experienced unexpected success.

The Seattle Mariners experienced the biggest jump in attendance in 2014, going from 1,761,546 in 2013 to 2,064,334, a rise of 302,788, or a jump of 17.1 percent, by far the biggest increase.

This didn't happen in a vacuum, though. The Mariners went out and paid Robinson Cano, the best player on the free agent market, $240 million over ten years. This came a few months after extending their best pitcher, Felix Hernandez, at $175 million over seven years. Other talent, like Kendry Morales, Fernando Rodney and Austin Jackson, came in as well. And the team went out and improved from 71 wins in 2013 to 87 wins in 2014.

A 19.26 percent jump in ticket sales means the Mets are projecting 2.56 million tickets sold in 2015. That would be a jump of 413,860 tickets sold, or 37 percent higher than the best-case scenario from 2014, a team that spent hundreds of millions to improve the team roster.

An email sent by another Mets executive, which was given to Capital, cited a number of games as "of highest demand", including Opening Day, Jacob deGrom Garden Gnome Giveaway Day on May 2, the Steve Miller Band postgame day June 27, Juan Lagares Bobblehead Day on July 11, and the Heart postgame concert day on July 25. But thanks to the handy select-a-seat technology on Mets.com—an innovation, incidentally, of Castergine's—it is possible to see that tickets are still available for all these games, in massive bunches, in virtually every price range.

Perhaps those tickets will be snapped up if the Mets have a particularly good season in 2015. But really, the winning is secondary, as it drives ticket sales. Payroll is most closely correlated to a jump in demand.

According to the Mets, they've managed the feat without having to spend the money, or win yet, perhaps the kind of economic miracle that might explain why the new baseball commissioner just made Fred Wilpon chairman of MLB's Finance Committee.

But those newly energized fans are probably going to be pretty upset when they figure out that even the absurd talking point from Wilpon to cover the real reason for a massive drop in spending on the team—the diversion of team and television revenue to finance Wilpon's parent company debt—didn't come to pass even when the team asserts that fans held up their end of the bargain.

Or as Fred Wilpon put it back in February 2013, "The payroll will be commensurate with anything we've ever done because we can do it. Remember, the people have to come to the ballpark obviously. If you have a competitive team, they will. Everything that was in the past, that you guys saw the pain that we went through, is gone. It's gone."

Clearly, even if you buy the team's new math, it's not. "
    You know, you're right. I forgot never to take anything reported anywhere at face value - especially where the Wilpons are concerned.

Sometimes it gets tiring, the fact that whenever any Mets news appears you have to calculate the Wilpon angle rather than just accept what you hear.

You know, you're right. I forgot never to take anything reported anywhere at face value - especially where the Wilpons are concerned.

Sometimes it gets tiring, the fact that whenever any Mets news appears you have to calculate the Wilpon angle rather than just accept what you hear.
    "We're snakebitten, baby!"

I still can't fathom that that sentence came out of a baseball team owner's mouth

Anyone remember when Stubhub (Mets specifically) tickets go live? (After ST are shipped right?)

Quote Originally Posted by headshoes View Post
    Anyone remember when Stubhub (Mets specifically) tickets go live? (After ST are shipped right?)
    You can list on SH for months now, but bar codes are generated when they get printed some time in mid March.

Page 217 of 217 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217