Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Umpires - When is Enough Enough?

So who is surprised this umpiring crew is involved in controversy once again?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15095195
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    Ah jeeze, what the heck is the MLB thinking by assigning a rookie umpire to this crew? Really? They want Joe West to be mentoring new umpires? This is so stupid it hurts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16242041

This umpiring crew apparently doesn't need a 1st base umpire..
    Mike Hopper

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16242041

This umpiring crew apparently doesn't need a 1st base umpire..
    The important thing is to get the call right, which they did. The first baseman never tagged the runner. I have no problem with this one.
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    The important thing is to get the call right, which they did. The first baseman never tagged the runner. I have no problem with this one.
    I have no stake in this particular play. I just found that video and thought it was interesting.

Well I guess that depends on who you ask. How can the guys from the other side of the field make that call? And if they can see it better than the guy standing in position closer to the play, then he needs to be replaced or they can eliminate that spot completely. Also, another umpire is not supposed to be allowed to overrule his partner which clearly happened in this case.
    Mike Hopper

Well I guess that depends on who you ask. How can the guys from the other side of the field make that call? And if they can see it better than the guy standing in position closer to the play, then he needs to be replaced or they can eliminate that spot completely.
    Just because one ump is a lot closer to the play, it doesn't mean that he is in the best position to see a tag. Angle is sometimes more important than distance.

Also, another umpire is not supposed to be allowed to overrule his partner which clearly happened in this case.
    I would use the word interfered, not overruled. It appeared that the home plate umpire called for a conference, and the rules say that he shouldn't do that. "(c) If a decision is appealed, the umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making a final decision. No umpire shall criticize, seek to reverse or interfere with another umpire's decision unless asked to do so by the umpire making it."

I have no stake in this particular play. I just found that video and thought it was interesting.

Well I guess that depends on who you ask. How can the guys from the other side of the field make that call? And if they can see it better than the guy standing in position closer to the play, then he needs to be replaced or they can eliminate that spot completely. Also, another umpire is not supposed to be allowed to overrule his partner which clearly happened in this case.
    So would you rather see them let an obviously incorrect call stand? I thought the object was to get it right.
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

So would you rather see them let an obviously incorrect call stand? I thought the object was to get it right.
    You must have footage that I don't have. I see no "obviously incorrect call" in that video. And even if I did, remember that is in SLOW MOTION. The umpire saw it one time at full speed. The home-plate umpire was out of line.

And I have never said that they should let an obviously incorrect call stand. In fact, if you'd read my past posts, you'd find that I argue for them to correct the calls!
    Mike Hopper

Why didn't they do that with Jim Joyce last year??? Oh yeah, because he's been in the league soooo long, any missed call he makes would stand. I don't think it's coincidence Gallaragga has never come that close to a no hitter again. I thought Morse got the cleat on that one, and when it's a bang-bang play without the benefit of super slo-mo, you got a 50-50 shot of being incorrect. Have the Umps been told to do more of this since the no-hitter that wasn't? This seemed almost like a fraternity hazing ritual than a hunt for justice.
    LETS GO BUCS!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
    I don't think it's coincidence Gallaragga has never come that close to a no hitter again.
    What does that mean?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
    I don't think it's coincidence Gallaragga has never come that close to a no hitter again.
    Probably not, since he never came that close before either.
    Religion: Yankeeist

"Hanging out with him sucks because all the women flock to him. Let's see, he's been on the cover of GQ, is rich and famous, hits for average and power and is a helluva nice guy." - Tim Raines on Derek Jeter

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15095195
    I was just about to post this one and I am glad I clicked your link. I saw this live (on tv anyways) and guess who comes to save the day.

I don't think the "Hawk" and Joe exchange Christmas cards...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=11290195

Anyone else find it amusing that we are finding all these vids (with commentary) from mlb.com? It would be like Toyota running commercials blaming their problems on their own engineers.

Where else would you find them? MLB has them deleted from YouTube daily...
    Mike Hopper

Did West ever get reprimended for the Mark Buehrle balk calls, I remember watching that game and I recall Guillen telling reporters fans arent paying money to watch me manage or to watch Joe West ump. He said something along those lines but he prob threw in some cuss words too. West umped for the Sox recently and Harrelson and Stone actually said he was being consistent with his calls.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    I don't think the "Hawk" and Joe exchange Christmas cards...
    The Hawk may be a blatant homer, but he's not afraid to say what he thinks, and as far as Joe West is concerned, he's right.

Who were the clowns they sent to Texas this weekend. Mets fan here but I have to say the Mets benefited form every questionable call. The missed strike three on Daniel Murphy (just before he doubled) was horrendous, and of course led to 2 ejections.

And then of course the other night when Cruz struck out after not walking on ball four. Yes the Mets threw a call ball to Cruz on a 3-2 count and he did not take his base. He then struck out on the next pitch.

Also a couple of plays on the bases that had the Rangers aggravated yesterday.

Where else would you find them? MLB has them deleted from YouTube daily...
    ...not the point I was making.

Why do I have the feeling that if Joe West made calls that went totally for the White Sox, Ken Harrelson would think he's the greatest umpire since Bill Klem?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Green View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that if Joe West made calls that went totally for the White Sox, Ken Harrelson would think he's the greatest umpire since Bill Klem?
    I really dislike disparaging people for figments of imagination or flights of fancy. I could imagine an infinite of possibile scenarios like this, some that would make him deserving of sainthood, others would put him in jail, and all are equally meaningless. "God, just imagine this guy killing kittens, what a dirtbag!". It's a variation of the strawman.

I don't like homers like Hawk, but that's because of what I was brought up with, but in this situation believe he has a good case, there is a pretty strong history with Guillen and West.

I think Ozzie Guillen put it best in his postgame press conference on the day of the Mark Buehrle "Balk" incident, when he stated "Joe West is a *#%#( (@##&#$@!!".

Thumbs up

I think Ozzie Guillen put it best in his postgame press conference on the day of the Mark Buehrle "Balk" incident, when he stated "Joe West is a *#%#( (@##&#$@!!".
    I just gained a very large volume of respect for Ozzie.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

The Hawk may be a blatant homer, but he's not afraid to say what he thinks, and as far as Joe West is concerned, he's right.
    That's correct, but what's worse is that Harold Reynolds is defending West. Selig tell you to do that HR?
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Great Reyes called out at 3rd when he was clearly never tagged by ARod. Problem was 3/4 of the crew screwing up, not being in position causing the HP ump to have to run up the line and not be in correct position to make right call.

Had an interesting one in Tamp tonight. Four Rays ejected in the 8th inning. I would not be surprised if Howell gets suspended for his display throwing his glove down, throwing the baseball around, etc...
    Mike Hopper

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast