Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Umpires - When is Enough Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by bandit12 View Post
    I don't think the "Hawk" and Joe exchange Christmas cards...
    The Hawk may be a blatant homer, but he's not afraid to say what he thinks, and as far as Joe West is concerned, he's right.
    What's the rumpus?

Who were the clowns they sent to Texas this weekend. Mets fan here but I have to say the Mets benefited form every questionable call. The missed strike three on Daniel Murphy (just before he doubled) was horrendous, and of course led to 2 ejections.

And then of course the other night when Cruz struck out after not walking on ball four. Yes the Mets threw a call ball to Cruz on a 3-2 count and he did not take his base. He then struck out on the next pitch.

Also a couple of plays on the bases that had the Rangers aggravated yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    Where else would you find them? MLB has them deleted from YouTube daily...
    ...not the point I was making.

Why do I have the feeling that if Joe West made calls that went totally for the White Sox, Ken Harrelson would think he's the greatest umpire since Bill Klem?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Green View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that if Joe West made calls that went totally for the White Sox, Ken Harrelson would think he's the greatest umpire since Bill Klem?
    I really dislike disparaging people for figments of imagination or flights of fancy. I could imagine an infinite of possibile scenarios like this, some that would make him deserving of sainthood, others would put him in jail, and all are equally meaningless. "God, just imagine this guy killing kittens, what a dirtbag!". It's a variation of the strawman.

I don't like homers like Hawk, but that's because of what I was brought up with, but in this situation believe he has a good case, there is a pretty strong history with Guillen and West.

I think Ozzie Guillen put it best in his postgame press conference on the day of the Mark Buehrle "Balk" incident, when he stated "Joe West is a *#%#( (@##&#$@!!".
    What's the rumpus?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I think Ozzie Guillen put it best in his postgame press conference on the day of the Mark Buehrle "Balk" incident, when he stated "Joe West is a *#%#( (@##&#$@!!".
    I just gained a very large volume of respect for Ozzie.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    The Hawk may be a blatant homer, but he's not afraid to say what he thinks, and as far as Joe West is concerned, he's right.
    That's correct, but what's worse is that Harold Reynolds is defending West. Selig tell you to do that HR?
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Great Reyes called out at 3rd when he was clearly never tagged by ARod. Problem was 3/4 of the crew screwing up, not being in position causing the HP ump to have to run up the line and not be in correct position to make right call.

Had an interesting one in Tamp tonight. Four Rays ejected in the 8th inning. I would not be surprised if Howell gets suspended for his display throwing his glove down, throwing the baseball around, etc...
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    Great Reyes called out at 3rd when he was clearly never tagged by ARod. Problem was 3/4 of the crew screwing up, not being in position causing the HP ump to have to run up the line and not be in correct position to make right call.
    What do you think they should have done differently? The only thing I could maybe think of would be for the 1st base umpire to go out for the catch. In this case though, I believe the 2nd base ump goes out so the 3rd base umpire has to slide over for a play at second. Then the "wheel play" is on for the umpires. 3rd base ump goes to second, HP ump heads for third, and the 1st base umpire covers the plate..
    Mike Hopper

But the 2nd base ump was wandering around the infield - he was inside the 2B bag, the 3rd base ump was about 20 feet into the OF and kind of close to the line causing the HP ump to run up the line. He's either blind or wasn't in the correct spot to make the right call.

I watched it again and would say you're right. I thought the umpire at second base when he slid there was the 3rd base ump, but watching it again you're correct. Mechanics appear to be way off..
    Mike Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by metfan13 View Post
    But the 2nd base ump was wandering around the infield - he was inside the 2B bag, the 3rd base ump was about 20 feet into the OF and kind of close to the line causing the HP ump to run up the line. He's either blind or wasn't in the correct spot to make the right call.
    For sure he's not blind. It's easy to see why he got it wrong. First of all he blocked out by AROD and add to that he did not get the replay view from the side like we did.
    I could understand how it appeared the tag was made, AROD's swipe was close enough to make it appear he did tag the runner.
    Again, bottom line, from where the ump was it was not easy to see, he got it wrong.

One thing for sure.................all teams get some bad calls, homers always think their teams gets the worst.
    Been a Yankee fan all my life, watching many games and my son thinks the Yanks always get the short end.
    I try to explain, not true, the Yanks get some gifts at times, all teams do.

The call on Reyes obviously wrong. But not blatent, look where the ump was, tried to get into position but did not.
    Looks obvious to me, he was blocked out and from where he was, looked like the tag was made.

This one almost put my father in the grave, this was a crucial blown call, Yanks lost this one in extra innings, won the WS. The ump looks to be in a good position to see the play. How is this for balls, ump looks at the picture and still believes Sain was out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Funny, but after the game Layne had pretty much the same response as Passarella. How about checking the replay and admitting that you weren't in position due to how the play worked out and missed the call.

The home plate umpire was in the best position you can expect from him in that situation. I want to know why the 3rd base umpire is out in left field..
    Mike Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    The home plate umpire was in the best position you can expect from him in that situation. I want to know why the 3rd base umpire is out in left field..
    Thats the way I saw it, he tried. Again, easy to see how he missed the call, the missed tag was by inches and the most important factor, he was blocked out by AROD.
    I like all of us don't like to see bad calls, this was far from terrible, compared to those when the ump has a great view and some how he doesn't see the play as it actually was.

Eh, he wasn't down the line far enough. Don't know whether he got a late start because he didn't notice the 3B out in LF or perhaps they were all caught by surprise by Reyes making a play almost no one else tries. After all in a 90 feet race I guess Reyes will beat Layne.

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast