Thread: Mets have low attendance on Mother's Day

Mets have low attendance on Mother's Day

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/q...leQPKoj2GdcSEK

It is safe to say now the fans are tired now the Mets being second-class citizens in this town.

they have low attendance everyday this year. Even opening day tickets were available that day. Sad what the wilponzis have done to this franchise.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

you'd be hard-pressed to find a more angry fanbase in all of sports than mets fans right now (and rightfully so for the most part)
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    you'd be hard-pressed to find a more angry fanbase in all of sports than mets fans right now (and rightfully so for the most part)
    I just wish they were angry enough not to show up at the Citi Morgue. Let them play in front of pigeons. I know it will never happen but that is the only way the fans can really impact the organization and let them know that this is not acceptable.

Attendance is down and its going to get worse so I guess the fans are speaking, but I would love to see a fan boycott of one game with nobody in the stands.

I'm more angry at the ridiculous dimensions, ads all over the place, JR Brooklyn Dodgers Rotunda, 3 decks in left field, price of a hot dog, cost of parking, the country club behind home plate, food court, people constantly getting out of their seats and just walking all over the place like mindless robots, and the open concourse.

I'm actually quite please with what the Wilpons did this off season with regards to the team. Sometimes less is more. And in this case the hiring of Sandy Alderson and his dream team of assistants/scouts will eventually make our farm system one of the best in baseball. Whether or not you believe Sandy was forced onto Freddy and Jeff, makes no difference, it was the right move either way. (even though you guys are so wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by majorleads View Post
    I'm more angry at the ridiculous dimensions, ads all over the place, JR Brooklyn Dodgers Rotunda, 3 decks in left field, price of a hot dog, cost of parking, the country club behind home plate, food court, people constantly getting out of their seats and just walking all over the place like mindless robots, and the open concourse.

I'm actually quite please with what the Wilpons did this off season with regards to the team. Sometimes less is more. And in this case the hiring of Sandy Alderson and his dream team of assistants/scouts will eventually make our farm system one of the best in baseball. Whether or not you believe Sandy was forced onto Freddy and Jeff, makes no difference, it was the right move either way. (even though you guys are so wrong)
    I think for any fan with eyes and knowledge of the team knows how detrimental the dimensions are to this team and David Wright imparticular. The whole Citi Morgue thing has put a damper on the organization from the day it opened.

Dimensions aside for a minute - like you said - the Brooklyn Dodger shrine, the JR rotunda (who never played for the Mets), the lack of Met history, etc. Now add in the ridiculous dimensions.

It just proves how out of touch the Wilpons and Co. are with the fan base, and their own team. The fan base should be angry about the team and the performance, but nothing pisses me off more than this 1 billion dollar waste of real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I think for any fan with eyes and knowledge of the team knows how detrimental the dimensions are to this team and David Wright imparticular. The whole Citi Morgue thing has put a damper on the organization from the day it opened.

Dimensions aside for a minute - like you said - the Brooklyn Dodger shrine, the JR rotunda (who never played for the Mets), the lack of Met history, etc. Now add in the ridiculous dimensions.

It just proves how out of touch the Wilpons and Co. are with the fan base, and their own team. The fan base should be angry about the team and the performance, but nothing pisses me off more than this 1 billion dollar waste of real estate.
    It's the team not the ballpark - the ballpark's great (with some reservations) - I like it quite a bit and as they say, the beer's still cold and there are still four bases out there so I'll still go. Indeed, the Friday before MD the place was pretty crowded. Most Mets fans like the place.

You want to see a depressed fan base? Trade Jose Reyes...
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    It's the team not the ballpark - the ballpark's great (with some reservations) - I like it quite a bit and as they say, the beer's still cold and there are still four bases out there so I'll still go. Indeed, the Friday before MD the place was pretty crowded. Most Mets fans like the place.

I was thinking that while reading the Daily News today. They give it an 80% chance Reyes gets traded. It will be very hard to wear a Mets cap if that happens (which it probably will). Say what you want about rebuilding the team, and the chances of resigning Reyes, but SS of Reyes' talent dont grow on trees. He IS our best SS ever in nearly 50 years of history. Think about that for a sec.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

You keep saying its the team and not the park, but if David Wright was the same guy he was at Shea wouldnt the team be better? I agree they need better players because right now besides 3-4 players they are a joke, but this stadium has hurt them in a big way.

So yes the beer is cold and there are 4 bases, and if thats your criteria for a great park then you have it. I have a different criteria. I want a park that enhances my best players strengths - not remove them. I would like a park that has a rotunda named after a player that played for my team in their home park, not one of the owners favorite players from 60 years ago. If there wasnt the outcry in 2009 for Met paraphanalia in the stadium there wouldnt be. This is what I mean by out of touch by ownership.

So if you want to sit a generic park with ridiculous dimensions then you have your park.

Good luck signing your next big hitter.

You keep saying its the team and not the park, but if David Wright was the same guy he was at Shea wouldnt the team be better? I agree they need better players because right now besides 3-4 players they are a joke, but this stadium has hurt them in a big way.

So yes the beer is cold and there are 4 bases, and if thats your criteria for a great park then you have it. I have a different criteria. I want a park that enhances my best players strengths - not remove them. I would like a park that has a rotunda named after a player that played for my team in their home park, not one of the owners favorite players from 60 years ago. If there wasnt the outcry in 2009 for Met paraphanalia in the stadium there wouldnt be. This is what I mean by out of touch by ownership.

So if you want to sit a generic park with ridiculous dimensions then you have your park.

Good luck signing your next big hitter.
    Ah, he's just one player - who, btw, had a decent year last year. You're also discounting the role the beaning played on Wright's outlook at the plate. It's not the stadium, in my view.

As for the Rotunda - that's a long-simmering BBF discussion - many fans dig it, and some don't. I personally think it's a wonderful space. My kids love it, especially my son - his hero is Jackie Robinson, so that just figures. Though listen, I agree that the ownership is often out of touch of the "Mets" branding etc.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Ah, he's just one player - who, btw, had a decent year last year. You're also discounting the role the beaning played on Wright's outlook at the plate. It's not the stadium, in my view.

As for the Rotunda - that's a long-simmering BBF discussion - many fans dig it, and some don't. I personally think it's a wonderful space. My kids love it, especially my son - his hero is Jackie Robinson, so that just figures. Though listen, I agree that the ownership is often out of touch of the "Mets" branding etc.
    I truly dont know if it's the stadium's fault or not for Wright's decline........Some days I do, some I dont. All I know is that while he is still a good player, and DOES help this team win more games than he loses over a long season.....he is nowhere near the calibur of player he was before 2009......He was a top 3-4 player in the NL.....now??, I'd say about top 30-35-40. Certainly still good, but sadly not much more than that........But i'm not 100% sure it's solely Citi Field's fault (though I DO believe it's definitely a part of it, i'd doubt it's the whole reason).

As for the Rotunda.......not gonna lie, I personally wouldnt have done it if I was the owner, but it also doesnt completely bother me to no end either. Once the mets put some real good quality teams on the field, I personally think the criticism about the ballpark and lack of mets stuff will quiet down alot. Fans are about as angry as possible at this point (again, rightfully so for the most part), so anything and everything that even slightly can get criticized, will be. Alot of that is simple human nature.

It's nice to semi-agree with you on something Strawman. I may 100% disagree with you in the other thread......but I know you're a true mets fan, and that counts for something.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    It's nice to semi-agree with you on something Strawman. I may 100% disagree with you in the other thread......but I know you're a true mets fan, and that counts for something.
    Does the pain show through that clearly?

Good point on the beaning. I always forget about that. I still think the dimensions mess him up but your right sometimes a beanings impact remains on some level. I remember it ruined Ellis Valentines career.

Good point on the beaning. I always forget about that. I still think the dimensions mess him up but your right sometimes a beanings impact remains on some level. I remember it ruined Ellis Valentines career.
    I think it has more to do with him trying to jack HR's on every AB when he isn't going well instead of taking the approach he had in the beginning of his career which was stay back go up the middle and the other way. You can see it in his swing as he tends to clear his hips waaaaay too early which has made him vulnerable to the outside pitch and also his back shoulder dips causing him to swing under fat fastballs right down the middle. Thats just not him and not his swing. But obviously it's all mental and thats his biggest problem because he sure as hell isn't swinging like this during BP.

And we have no room for mentally deficient players at the moment. Wright must go.

Blog Entries
    Those of us of a certain generation remember Jimmie Hall's decline after a beaning.

I have been to Citi once. I am a life long Mets fan who has lived in Boston for better than 33 years. From 92-94 fans here in Boston were clamoring for a new stadium. Once the Red Sox started winning again Fenway became "beloved".

Winning puts a gloss on everything. It is the nature of sports.