11. Quincy Trouppe
    12. Andre Dawson

Contributors
    1. O.P. Caylor
    2. Dick Williams
    3. Bob Ferguson
    4. Tim Murnane
    5. Al Munro Elias
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• jalbright
      Researcher/advocate/mod
      • Mar 2005

We now have a quorum on the player side, but the contributor side has only nine votes and is such that the tenth vote could change the results. JW is the only voter from last election yet to vote, and if he has not done so by Monday, I will send him a reminder PM.

Next election, we will add the following players:
      Code:
      Guerrero , Pedro
      Kennedy , Terry
      Molitor , Paul
      Murphy , Dale
      Murray , Eddie
      Parrish , Lance
      Puhl , Terry
      Sutcliffe , Rick
      Templeton , Garry
      Welch , Bob
      We will also add David Neft to the contributor list.
      Last edited by jalbright; 06-09-2011, 05:56 PM.
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• J W
        Buck Showalter fanboy
        • Jan 2000

Players

1. Robin Yount
        2. Eppa Rixey
        3. Edd Roush
        4. Joe Sewell
        5. Rollie Fingers
        6. Luis Aparicio
        7. Keith Hernandez
        8. Wally Berger
        9. Bill Freehan
        10. Billy Pierce
        11. Reggie Smith
        12. Graig Nettles

Jack Clark has a chance to make the ballot by current day, but the glut of corner and combo outfielders is growing. Dennis Martinez and Jack Morris make the pitcher's queue near Jerry Koosman and Burleigh Grimes, respectively. Finally, welcome aboard Graig Nettles. Trouppe, the Evanses and Dawson are next in line.

Contributors

1. Al Munro Elias
        2. Billy Martin
        3. Billy Evans
        4. Dick Williams
        5. Vin Scully

Felipe Alou sniffs the radar but won't make it as a combo player-manager ahead of Red Schoendienst. I'll cave on Vin Scully then. He was named the #1 sportscaster of all time by his own association in 2009.
        http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• jalbright
          Researcher/advocate/mod
          • Mar 2005

We've got a quorum on both ballots.
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• Domenic
            • Sep 2008

Paul Molitor and Eddie Murray appear to be locks for 2001, and Dale Murphy is close as well. I have a soft spot for both Pedro Guerrero and Lance Parrish, but I don't think that either has a significant argument for this project.

David Neft is an interesting candidate - I've read some arguments suggesting that he is one of the most significant name in the groundwork for the SABR movement ... and that's fairly compelling.

Comment

• jjpm74
              • Jan 2008

Anyone care to give a case for David Neft? Was The Baseball Encyclopedia enough to elect him? Is he on the same level as Al Munro Elias and Bill James? I'd like to hear more about his impact.

Comment

• jalbright
                Researcher/advocate/mod
                • Mar 2005

David Neft Headed up the enormous and enormously important project of creating the first modern baseball encyclopedia, the first Macmillan Encyclopedia. Without that seminal work, where would we be in baseball research? I'm sure someone would have done it by now, but would it have been in time for the likes of Bill James? James is more important IMO because of what he did with information like that provided by Neft, and Elias has a large role in popularizing the use of baseball statistics. For those reasons, I put those two ahead of Neft. If you've done baseball research, BB-ref and Retrosheet in many ways are built on the foundation laid by the first MacMillan encyclopedia. Certainly, when we evaluate players, the encyclopedia format is where most of us start.

For more, see this article: http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ll/#more-21975
                Last edited by jalbright; 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• jalbright
                  Researcher/advocate/mod
                  • Mar 2005

We're in the last day of this election. (For real this time, if you saw yesterday's errant post)

Comment

• jjpm74
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                    David Neft Headed up the enormous and enormously important project of creating the first modern baseball encyclopedia, the first Macmillan Encyclopedia. Without that seminal work, where would we be in baseball research? I'm sure someone would have done it by now, but would it have been in time for the likes of Bill James? James is more important IMO because of what he did with information like that provided by Neft, and Elias has a large role in popularizing the use of baseball statistics. For those reasons, I put those two ahead of Neft. If you've done baseball research, BB-ref and Retrosheet in many ways are built on the foundation laid by the first MacMillan encyclopedia. Certainly, when we evaluate players, the encyclopedia format is where most of us start.

For more, see this article: http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...ll/#more-21975
                    Thanks for the info. He is a likely for my ballot. The difficulty will be in deciding whether Neft should be ahead of or behind Elias.

While we're on the subject, shouldn't Lee Allen get some strong consideration/be eligible here if Neft is?

Comment

• Chadwick
                      Chasing Cooperstown
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Domenic View Post
                      Paul Molitor and Eddie Murray appear to be locks for 2001, and Dale Murphy is close as well. I have a soft spot for both Pedro Guerrero and Lance Parrish, but I don't think that either has a significant argument for this project.
                      Agreed though Murphy will be in the bottom half of my ballot if at all. I'm higher on Parrish than Guerrero, but not enough remaining elections for Parrish to ever see a ballot.

Neft is an intriguing contributor candidate (as is Lee Allen), but I'm unsure where they fall in my queue at this point. Will have to reexamine those not currently on my ballot more carefully.

FWIW, I expect next year to see only one holdover elected, making the horserace very tight for that position.
                      Last edited by Chadwick; 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM.
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• jalbright
                        Researcher/advocate/mod
                        • Mar 2005

This election has closed, and we have inducted Hiromitsu Ochiai, Edd Roush and Robin Yount as players and Vin Scully as a contributor. The official results follow, with the player results first:

Code:
                        Players………………	votes	pts
                        Yount, Robin	11	132
                        Roush , Edd 	8	68
                        Ochiai, H	8	53
                        Hernandez, K	11	50
                        Brock, Lou	5	43
                        Cepeda, Perucho	5	42
                        Rixey , Eppa	5	41
                        Reuschel, Rick	7	39
                        Koyama, Masaaki	6	37
                        Aparicio, Luis	5	31
                        Evans, Dwight	4	30
                        Freehan, Bill	7	27
                        Beckley , Jake	4	25
                        Smith, Reggie	5	25
                        Sheckard , J	4	23
                        Berger , Wally	3	21
                        Dawson, Andre	5	21
                        Grimes , B	3	20
                        Bando, Sal	2	17
                        Shocker, Urban	3	13
                        Childs , Cupid	2	12
                        Trouppe, Quincy	3	10
                        Sewell , Joe	1	9
                        Fingers, Rollie	1	8
                        McVey , Cal	1	8
                        Howard, Frank	1	7
                        Lundy , Dick	1	7
                        Cepeda, Orlando	1	6
                        Evans, Darrell	1	6
                        Gomez, Lefty	1	6
                        Mullane , Tony	1	6
                        Maranville , R	1	4
                        Newcombe, Don	1	3
                        Pierce, Billy	1	3
                        Dandridge, Ray	1	2
                        Duffy , Hugh	1	1
                        Leach , Tommy	1	1
                        Nettles, Graig	1	1
                        Now the contributors:
                        Code:
                        Contributors…	votes	pts
                        Scully, Vin	7	22
                        Ferguson, Bob	6	18
                        Caylor , O. P.	4	17
                        Williams, Dick	7	17
                        Abe, Iso	5	15
                        Evans, Billy	4	13
                        Elias, Al Munro	5	10
                        Caray, Harry	1	5
                        Jobe, Frank	1	5
                        Pesky , Johnny	1	5
                        Alou, Felipe	1	4
                        Martin, Billy	1	4
                        Smith, Red	1	4
                        O'Doul, Lefty	1	3
                        Harvey, Doug	1	2
                        McCarthy, Tommy	1	2
                        Murnane, Tim	1	2
                        Harris , Bucky	1	1
                        Uecker, Bob	1	1

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X