Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fans who leave games early

Quote Originally Posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    I've never understood why some fans leave games early. If you're willing to commit the $$$ and time to go to a game, then why not get the most bang for your buck by getting there early and not being in a rush to leave when the game is over. If one cannot commit the time to go to the game, then they should let someone who can use their ticket.

What are some valid reasons for leaving a game early or arriving to a game late?
    I'm leaving this thread early...

I've never understood why some fans leave games early. If you're willing to commit the $$$ and time to go to a game, then why not get the most bang for your buck by getting there early and not being in a rush to leave when the game is over. If one cannot commit the time to go to the game, then they should let someone who can use their ticket.

What are some valid reasons for leaving a game early or arriving to a game late?
    I don't feel I need to explain my reasons for leaving a game early (which I have done on occasion). When you start paying for my tickets, you can dictate the conditions under which I may use them. As long as it's my money I'm spending, I don't need to justify
    leaving early or arriving late.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    I'm leaving this thread early...
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Is this guy Dr. Phil?

Dr. Phil provides a safe place to talk about hard things.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    It is not Bizmark's place to question us.
    Darn straight it ain't! It's MY place. And here's the first question... according to Baseball-Reference.com, the very first game of the New York Mets, April 11, 1962 against the St. Louis Cardinals in St. Louis, was attended by 16,147 fans.

What were their names?
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Blog Entries
    I don't see why everybody's getting so exercised over Bizmark expressing his opinion. That's what this forum is for, opinions. If people thought it was a dumb question, why did so many people waste breath criticizing him? just move on to another topic that you find more meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Darn straight it ain't! It's MY place. And here's the first question... according to Baseball-Reference.com, the very first game of the New York Mets, April 11, 1962 against the St. Louis Cardinals in St. Louis, was attended by 16,147 fans.

What were their names?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
    I don't see why everybody's getting so exercised over Bizmark expressing his opinion. That's what this forum is for, opinions. If people thought it was a dumb question, why did so many people waste breath criticizing him? just move on to another topic that you find more meaningful.
    We're not mad that he's expressing his opinion. We're mad that he seems to be accusing people of being bad fans or wasting their money if they don't stay for the whole game. And you know what? It's a double-edged sword: he can say that people aren't good fans if they don't stay for the whole game, but we are also free to say that he's dead wrong.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 11-26-2012 at 01:10 PM.

This is precisely why you should wait 15-30 minutes after the game ends before rushing for the exit.
    It is more likely to avoid the crowd by getting to the platform early, rather than late. Subway crowds last an hour or more, especially after major games.

Although it is also recommended (for visiting fans) to get a hotel near the ballpark so you don't even need to bother with the trains. I did this in Baltimore and Philly. Came in handy for that latter one especially, since as a visitor I would probably have gotten my ass kicked if I'd been on SEPTA after a game, wearing the 'enemy colors'...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    it is just that a few people are going way beyond saying that Bizmark is wrong, saying it's "none of his business" etc. Rude comments like that chill the discussion overall. No wonder the activity on the Forums seems to have waned in the last few years, I've noticed. A guy sticks his neck out to make a comment and gets it chopped off.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    We're not mad that he's expressing his opinion. We're mad that he seems to be accusing people of being bad fans or wasting their money if they don't stay for the whole game. And you know what? It's a double-edged sword: he can say that people aren't good fans if they don't stay for the whole game, but we are also free to say that he's dead wrong.

I actually agreed with those comments. Again, it cuts both ways. Earlier in the thread, Biz basically recommended to Matt to stay for a whole game, sleep in and take a sick day off of teaching to watch a whole game. I think comments like that deserve a little scrutiny and that's what they got.

We all get his point: it's just that a lot of us think it is a lousy point. And good for Biz for digging in his heels, which he has clearly done.

Blog Entries
    "I actually agreed with those comments."

Hypothetical example:
    Original post: "I notice that in some ball parks I've visited, people keep score on a scorecard, and in other's not so much".

Comment: "It's none of your business why anybody keeps score or not. Stop poking your nose in what people do at games!".

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    I actually agreed with those comments. Again, it cuts both ways. Earlier in the thread, Biz basically recommended to Matt to stay for a whole game, sleep in and take a sick day off of teaching to watch a whole game. I think comments like that deserve a little scrutiny and that's what they got.

We all get his point: it's just that a lot of us think it is a lousy point. And good for Biz for digging in his heels, which he has clearly done.

That's not what happened in this thread. You don't need to make stuff up. The early conversation he had with Matthew is a prime example of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
    Hypothetical example:
    Original post: "I notice that in some ball parks I've visited, people keep score on a scorecard, and in other's not so much. What's the point of going if you're not keeping score? If you're not keeping score, you shouldn't go to the game. You should give the ticket to someone who DOES keep score.".

Comment: "It's none of your business why anybody keeps score or not. Stop poking your nose in what people do at games!".

A little closer to the thread.

I have no problem with someone voicing their opinion. I have a problem with someone who continues to argue that his way of doing things is the ONLY acceptable way. If he had said "Ok. I think you're wasting your time and money, but that's your problem" then the discussion would be over. He hasn't done that.
    Will

Jimmy Dugan: ... But sneaking out like this, quitting, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Baseball is what gets inside you. It's what lights you up, you can't deny that.
    Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
    Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.

We're moving too far from the thread topic and too much about why some don't like the thread. Please talk about your ballpark expereinces in regards to leaving, etc. The thread starter really is not on topic.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234