• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jalbright
    Researcher/advocate/mod
    • Mar 2005

Brewers Hall of Fame - round one

PLEASE READ THE FORMAT AND RULES SECTION BEFORE VOTING. THANK YOU.

FORMAT AND RULES

Purpose: The purpose of this project is to create a Hall of Fame for each franchise whereby each franchise will honor those individuals whose contributions and accomplishments are most notable, significant, and enduring to that franchise's history. This project is not about simply honoring those with the best statistics with each franchise.

Standards: Each franchise has its own unique history and context, and thus contributions and accomplishments that may stand out remarkably within one franchise's history, may not be so remarkable in another franchise's history. Standards from franchise to franchise will inherently vary, and thus there should be no impetus to create equal standards among the franchises or to aspire to the standards of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Consequently, subjectivity within the context of the franchise in question will play an inevitable role when considering an individual's contributions and accomplishments with respect to that franchise. In sum, a franchise's Hall of Fame should be unaffected by the standards and contexts of other franchises as well as the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and should be entirely a product of its own history.

Election Format: Elections will be conducted one franchise at a time starting in chronological order with the oldest continuously and currently operational franchise. Each election will last approximately five days.
    - Ballot Size: Voters can select up to 15 players and 5 contributors per election. Ballots that exceed the maximum limits at the close of an election will not be counted. There is no minimum ballot size.
    - Ballot Editing: To account for ongoing discussion, voters may edit their ballots as often as necessary through the end of an election.
    - Election Percentage: Any individual that is listed on at least 75% of either the player or contributor submitted ballots will be elected to that team's Hall of Fame. In instances where an individual receive votes as both a player and a contributor, that individual will be elected if listed on at least 75% of ballots in either category or if the individual's combined vote total is at least 75% of the category with the greatest number of ballots submitted.
    - Subsequent Rounds: After an election has been performed for each franchise, a second round of elections will commence, again proceeding in chronological order. A third round of elections (and perhaps beyond) may also be held depending on interest.

Eligibility:
    - Players: Players may be considered by any currently operational franchise for which they appeared and are eligible either immediately upon officially retiring or after having not appeared at any level of professional baseball for an entire season for reasons not due to injury.
    - Contributors: Individuals that contributed in other capacities to a franchise may be considered, including managers, coaches, executives, owners, and broadcasters. Contributors that are still active may only be elected by their current employing franchise, and cannot be considered by prior employing franchises until no longer active (this does not apply to individuals who are employed by a franchise only in nominal and/or non-integral ways, such as in scouting, consulting, or public relations capacities).
    - Multiple Capacities: The totality of contributions and accomplishments with respect to a franchise are to be considered, and thus an individual can only be elected once by a franchise. For purposes of ballot size limits, an individual should be designated either a player or contributor based on what the voter perceives to be the individual's greater role with the franchise. An individual should not be listed as either a player or contributor merely to facilitate ballot space for the other category.
    - Relocations/Renaming: Franchises that have relocated and/or been renamed, may still consider and elect individuals that were with the franchise prior to the relocation/renaming.
    - Multiple Franchises: An individual may be considered and elected by multiple franchises.

Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the energy to replicate the information Double X had typically provided for franchises. If someone wishes to post any or all such information, they are more than welcome to do so. One resource I will point out is the information on the franchise at : http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
  • jalbright
    Researcher/advocate/mod
    • Mar 2005

Players:
    Jeff Cirillo
    Cecil Cooper
    Teddy Higuera
    Paul Molitor
    Don Money
    Ben Oglivie
    George Scott
    Ben Sheets
    Gorman Thomas
    Robin Yount

Contributors:
    Bob Uecker
    Last edited by jalbright; 07-09-2011, 08:51 AM.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• Nerdlinger
      Slippery when wet
      • Nov 2008

Players
      Chris Bosio
      Jeff Cirillo
      Cecil Cooper
      Jim Gantner
      Teddy Higuera
      Geoff Jenkins
      Sixto Lezcano
      Paul Molitor
      Don Money
      Ben Oglivie
      George Scott
      Ben Sheets
      B.J. Surhoff
      Gorman Thomas
      Robin Yount

Contributors
      [none]
      *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
        Gator wrastler
        • May 2007

Players:
        Chris Bosio
        Jeff Cirillo
        Cecil Cooper
        Teddy Higuera
        Paul Molitor
        Don Money
        Ben Oglivie
        Dan Plesac
        George Scott
        Ben Sheets
        Jim Slaton
        B.J. Surhoff
        Gorman Thomas
        Robin Yount
        "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• jjpm74
          • Jan 2008

I don't know if it will make any difference, but wikipedia has a list of all mascots for all MLB teams here that you can add in if you want:

I only bring this up because the only contributor I can think of for this team is Bernie Brewer who is one of the more notable and famous mascots.

Comment

• Nerdlinger
            Slippery when wet
            • Nov 2008

Jim, just to nip the issue in the bud, can you confirm whether or not mascots qualify as contributors in this series of elections? I'm really hoping they don't. . . .
            *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
              2005 World Series Champs
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
              I don't know if it will make any difference, but wikipedia has a list of all mascots for all MLB teams here that you can add in if you want:

I only bring this up because the only contributor I can think of for this team is Bernie Brewer who is one of the more notable and famous mascots.
              i was thinking bob uecker
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                Slippery when wet
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                i was thinking bob uecker
                I don't think he counts as a mascot.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                  2005 World Series Champs
                  • Jun 2010

Mike Caldwell
                  Jeff Cirillo
                  Cecil Cooper
                  Jim Gantner
                  Moose Haas
                  Teddy Higuera
                  Geof Jenkins
                  Paul Molitor
                  Don Money
                  Ben Oglive
                  Dan Plesac
                  Goerge Scott
                  B.J. Surhoff
                  Gorman Thomas
                  Robin Yount

Goerge Bamberger
                  Bob Uecker
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• jjpm74
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by DJC View Post
                    Jim, just to nip the issue in the bud, can you confirm whether or not mascots qualify as contributors in this series of elections? I'm really hoping they don't. . . .
                    People were voting for mascots and even fans in the 1st rounds and doubleX was counting them. What's the difference? Why does it bother you that much if they do count? If only a handful of people vote for them, they won't get elected.

Comment

• jjpm74
                      • Jan 2008

Players:

Mike Caldwell
                      Cecil Cooper
                      Jim Gantner
                      Teddy Higuera
                      Paul Molitor
                      Don Money
                      Charlie Moore
                      Ben Oglivie
                      Dan Plesac
                      BJ Surhoff
                      Gorman Thomas
                      Robin Yount

Contributors:

Bernie Brewer
                      Bob Uecker (28 seasons behind the mic. I can rally behind that)

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                        Slippery when wet
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                        People were voting for mascots and even fans in the 1st rounds and doubleX was counting them. What's the difference? Why does it bother you that much if they do count? If only a handful of people vote for them, they won't get elected.
                        Because mascots are not actually people? I seem to recall having this argument already, possibly with you. Yes, there are people inside them, but the mascot itself is a fictional character in the form of a costume. A handful of people (two, actually) recently voted for Babe Ruth in the election for best pitcher and he made it into the top 15. If you don't want to make a joke of the election, then you really shouldn't be throwing away your vote on costumed characters.

Comment

• jalbright
                          Researcher/advocate/mod
                          • Mar 2005

I'm not expecting many if any mascots to actually make their team HOFs (the San Diego Chicken would be my first choice of those), but those mascot votes have counted in the past and will count here. Of course, 75% is needed for election, and someone's going to have to make a persuasive case for theirs to get me to join them in voting for one.

Comment

• jalbright
                            Researcher/advocate/mod
                            • Mar 2005

I'll buy into Uecker as a contributor.

Comment

• DoubleX
                              Just a Fool
                              • Feb 2004

Players
                              Jeff Cirillo
                              Cecil Cooper
                              Teddy Higuera
                              Paul Molitor
                              Ben Oglivie
                              Robin Yount

Contributors