Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: Sanchez for Beltran?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    I thought Belt was 1B/LF, DeRosa was IF/Ut., and Burrell more PH/LF.
    Burell's on the DL.

    Click on the depth chart again, it now displays Beltran #1 in RF with Nate #2, and nowhere else.

    Belt is now #1 1B ahead of Huff.

    Interesting.

  2. #27
    Yeah, I saw that. Knew Burrell was on the DL, but even healthy, I think he'd be PH/LF at this point. As mentioned above, I'm not so sure Beltran will enjoy RF in SF with those weird angles. Again, Ross or Torres in CF? By now, Schierholtz has probably earned a starting spot in either left or right. I guess Huff could play OF in a pinch (if Berkman can, so can he), but he's in a tough spot vis-a-vis Belt. Huff's relatively poor season aside, he's still the Giants' RBI leader. If only one of these guys could play SS, and one play C, the lineup might have a little more danger to opposing pitchers. Still and all, Bochy must be pretty happy to have this problem.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    As mentioned above, I'm not so sure Beltran will enjoy RF in SF with those weird angles.
    Well, he had to deal with CitiField, which has a fence that's crazy for crazy's sake. A housefly flies straighter. AT&T is downright normal by comparison.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    Well, he had to deal with CitiField, which has a fence that's crazy for crazy's sake. A housefly flies straighter. AT&T is downright normal by comparison.
    OK, good point, but didn't he just start playing there last year? Any word on how he liked it (compared to "normal" RFs)? Maybe I'm making much ado about nothing, and he's too much a pro to do anything other than his level best. I think I'd still rather see him in LF, but with his bat (if he keeps swinging it like he has this year), he gets to pick and choose, I would guess.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmudgeon View Post
    I guess Huff could play OF in a pinch (if Berkman can, so can he), but he's in a tough spot vis-a-vis Belt. Huff's relatively poor season aside, he's still the Giants' RBI leader. If only one of these guys could play SS, and one play C, the lineup might have a little more danger to opposing pitchers. Still and all, Bochy must be pretty happy to have this problem.
    I'm guessing more managers are willing to tolerate Berkman's defense in the OF in exchange for a .993 OPS than they would for a .660 OPS like Huff. If DeRosa can make it back and hit decently, maybe he can fill in at SS. Don't tell me about his lack of range for a SS; no way you can convince me he has less range than Tejada and Bochy has put Miggy at short for 37 games this year. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Bochy himself has more range than Miggy....

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by CTaka View Post
    Don't tell me about his lack of range for a SS; no way you can convince me he has less range than Tejada
    The man I've nicknamed "Iron Mike" ?

    Iron hands, feet and glove. Iron Mike. Probably will field it well within one step, ehhhh, more than that? Probably not.

  7. #32
    You've got a point about Tejada in the field at this point in his career, but he's been a solid team guy for the Giants, seems to have played a role in Swingdoval's resurgence, and he plays hard. As a team, the Giants do play hard, it's a fine reason to follow them, and last year's results speak for themselves. Huff and Tejada are not exactly Keith Hernandez and Ozzie Smith in the field, but I root for them as Giants and as effort guys. I'm betting one or perhaps both make important contributions down the stretch.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    The man I've nicknamed "Iron Mike" ?

    Iron hands, feet and glove. Iron Mike. Probably will field it well within one step, ehhhh, more than that? Probably not.
    I would add "iron will". His steely determination to not take a walk regardless of the circumstances takes incredible will power.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •