Thread: Giants get Keppinger for Sosa, Stoffel

Giants get Keppinger for Sosa, Stoffel

I like this move. Keppinger (31) is a solid, versatile player who makes a lot of contact and can hit for average. He can back up short and third and I would expect to see him get the lion's share of ABs at 2B from here on out (assuming Sanchez does not return). He can also play the OF and 1B in a pinch.

Henry Sosa (25) was once one of the top pitching prospects in the organization, with a plus fastball and a plus curve, but he has been plagued by injuries and inconsistancies. He was simply awful earlier this year at AAA-Fresno (10.41 ERA in 17 games) before being demoted to AA-Richmond where he bounced back a bit (2.68 ERA in 40.1 IP). This is the best possible move for Sosa, who was unlikely to crack the rotation in SF any time soon and was, at best, a bullpen arm for the club. He undoubtably will get a look-see this year in Houston in what could be viewed as a make-or-break season.

Stoffel (22) was seen as a future closer when he was drafted in the 4th round of the '09 draft and is the player in this deal who is most likely to come back to bite the Giants in the butt. He has racked up 38 saves this year and last (13 this year) but has had some control issues and has given up a lot of hits (9.1/9IP). Coupled with the emergence of Heath Hembree, Stoffel had become expendable.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    I like this move. Keppinger (31) is a solid, versatile player who makes a lot of contact and can hit for average. He can back up short and third and I would expect to see him get the lion's share of ABs at 2B from here on out (assuming Sanchez does not return). He can also play the OF and 1B in a pinch.

Henry Sosa (25) was once one of the top pitching prospects in the organization, with a plus fastball and a plus curve, but he has been plagued by injuries and inconsistancies. He was simply awful earlier this year at AAA-Fresno (10.41 ERA in 17 games) before being demoted to AA-Richmond where he bounced back a bit (2.68 ERA in 40.1 IP). This is the best possible move for Sosa, who was unlikely to crack the rotation in SF any time soon and was, at best, a bullpen arm for the club. He undoubtably will get a look-see this year in Houston in what could be viewed as a make-or-break season.

Stoffel (22) was seen as a future closer when he was drafted in the 4th round of the '09 draft and is the player in this deal who is most likely to come back to bite the Giants in the butt. He has racked up 38 saves this year and last (13 this year) but has had some control issues and has given up a lot of hits (9.1/9IP). Coupled with the emergence of Heath Hembree, Stoffel had become expendable.
    Nice analysis Rich, thanks for the minor leaguer info. Looks as if Burriss will be likely to go down again?

This is a bit of a curious move, as DeRosa is starting rehab assignments today. One wonders what that means
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Nice analysis Rich, thanks for the minor leaguer info. Looks as if Burriss will be likely to go down again?
    Not immediately with Tejada going on the DL, but he clearly could use a little more time refining his swing at Fresno.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    This is a bit of a curious move, as DeRosa is starting rehab assignments today. One wonders what that means
    Actually DeRosa began his rehab last weekend with San Jose. I would not count on DeRosa contributing much, though. Sabean clearly isn't.

I should have said that DeRosa was starting in Fresno, but you are right, the trade pretty much says that Sabes doesn't hold out much hope
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    I should have said that DeRosa was starting in Fresno, but you are right, the trade pretty much says that Sabes doesn't hold out much hope
    And why the heck would he? DeRosa might be a potential feel good story (we're talking long-shot stuff here), but sure as heck right now does not belong in any serious discussion.
    He sure as heck hasn't deserved it. Sorry.

i have been kind of quietly hoping that de rosa experiences a breakthrough in late august / early september and he becomes the bat that the giants do not trade for.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

It would be loverly if this occurred. I'm pulling for DeRosa as well, and he could be just what WCOB predicts, it is Giants-appropriate behaviour.