Already elected to the Tigers HOF are:
The prior thread for the Tigers is here
This election will close on August 10, 2011, at 2:00 p.m.
PLEASE READ THE FORMAT AND RULES SECTION BEFORE VOTING. THANK YOU.
FORMAT AND RULES
Purpose: The purpose of this project is to create a Hall of Fame for each franchise whereby each franchise will honor those individuals whose contributions and accomplishments are most notable, significant, and enduring to that franchise's history. This project is not about simply honoring those with the best statistics with each franchise.
Standards: Each franchise has its own unique history and context, and thus contributions and accomplishments that may stand out remarkably within one franchise's history, may not be so remarkable in another franchise's history. Standards from franchise to franchise will inherently vary, and thus there should be no impetus to create equal standards among the franchises or to aspire to the standards of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Consequently, subjectivity within the context of the franchise in question will play an inevitable role when considering an individual's contributions and accomplishments with respect to that franchise. In sum, a franchise's Hall of Fame should be unaffected by the standards and contexts of other franchises as well as the National Baseball Hall of Fame, and should be entirely a product of its own history.
Election Format: Elections will be conducted one franchise at a time starting in chronological order with the oldest continuously and currently operational franchise. Each election will last approximately seven days.
- Ballot Size: Voters can select up to 15 players and 5 contributors per election. Ballots that exceed the maximum limits at the close of an election will not be counted. There is no minimum ballot size.
- Ballot Editing: To account for ongoing discussion, voters may edit their ballots as often as necessary through the end of an election.
- Election Percentage: Any individual that is listed on at least 75% of either the player or contributor submitted ballots will be elected to that team's Hall of Fame. In instances where an individual receive votes as both a player and a contributor, that individual will be elected if listed on at least 75% of ballots in either category or if the individual's combined vote total is at least 75% of the category with the greatest number of ballots submitted.
- Subsequent Rounds: After an election has been performed for each franchise, a second round of elections will commence, again proceeding in chronological order. A third round of elections (and perhaps beyond) may also be held depending on interest.
- Players: Players may be considered by any currently operational franchise for which they appeared and are eligible either immediately upon officially retiring or after having not appeared at any level of professional baseball for an entire season for reasons not due to injury.
- Contributors: Individuals that contributed in other capacities to a franchise may be considered, including managers, coaches, executives, owners, and broadcasters, but not fictional characters such as mascots. Contributors that are still active may only be elected by their current employing franchise, and cannot be considered by prior employing franchises until no longer active (this does not apply to individuals who are employed by a franchise only in nominal and/or non-integral ways, such as in scouting, consulting, or public relations capacities).
- Multiple Capacities: The totality of contributions and accomplishments with respect to a franchise are to be considered, and thus an individual can only be elected once by a franchise. For purposes of ballot size limits, an individual should be designated either a player or contributor based on what the voter perceives to be the individual's greater role with the franchise. An individual should not be listed as either a player or contributor merely to facilitate ballot space for the other category.
- Relocations/Renaming: Franchises that have relocated and/or been renamed, may still consider and elect individuals that were with the franchise prior to the relocation/renaming.
- Multiple Franchises: An individual may be considered and elected by multiple franchises.
- Founded: 1901 (AL for entire existence)
- Former Locations/Names:
- World Series Championships: 4 (1935, 1945, 1968, 1984)
- Pennants: 10 (1907, 1908, 1909, 1934, 1935, 1940, 1945, 1968, 1984, 2006)
- Division Titles: 3 (1972, 1984, 1987)
- Wild Card Berths: 1 (2006)
The following links are all courtesy of baseball-reference.com, baseball-almanac.com, and wikipedia.com, and may assist voters in determining an individual's impact on this franchise:
- Franchise Almanac
- All Batters
- All Pitchers
- Batting Leaders
- Pitching Leaders
- Most Common Positional Starters
- Most Common Pitching Staff Alignments
- Notable Owners and Executives
- Notable Broadcasters
- MVP Recipients (9): Willie Hernandez (1984), Denny McLain (1968), Hal Newhouser (1945), Hal Newhouser (1944), Hank Greenberg (1940), Charlie Gehringer (1937), Hank Greenberg (1935), Mickey Cochrane (1934), Ty Cobb (1911)
- Cy Young Recipients (3): Willie Hernandez (1984), Denny McLain (1969), Denny McLain (1968)
- RoY Recipients (7): Justin Verlander (2006), Lou Whitaker (1978), Mark Fidrych (1976), Harvey Kuenn (1953)
- Batting Triple Crown (1): Ty Cobb (1909)
- Pitching Triple Crown (1): Hal Newhouser (1945)
Multiple All Star Selections (no adjustment for double selections for 1959-1962)
Notable Managers (with at least 300 games managed with this franchise or at least one pennant win)Code:Rank Player Selections 1 Al Kaline 18 2 Bill Freehan 11 3 Harvey Kuenn 8 t4 Jim Bunning 7 t4 Hal Newhouser 7 t6 Tommy Bridges 6 t6 Charlie Gehringer 6 t6 Lance Parrish 6 t6 Alan Trammell 6 t10 Norm Cash 5 t10 Hank Greenberg 5 t10 George Kell 5 t10 Lou Whitaker 5 t10 Rudy York 5 t15 Rocky Colavito 4 t15 Travis Fryman 4 t15 Willie Horton 4 t15 Jack Morris 4 t15 Ivan Rodriguez* 4 t20 Cecil Fielder 3 t20 Carlos Guillen* 3 t20 Willie Hernandez 3 t20 Frank Lary 3 t20 Mickey Lolich 3 t20 Dick McAuliffe 3 t20 Denny McLain 3 t20 Justin Verlander* 3 t20 Vic Wertz 3 t29 Hank Aguirre 2 t29 Al Benton 2 t29 Ray Boone 2 t29 Mickey Cochrane 2 t29 Hoot Evers 2 t29 Mark Fidrych 2 t29 Charlie Maxwell 2 t29 Paul Mullin 2 t29 Bobo Newsom 2 t29 Magglio Ordonez* 2 t29 Schoolboy Rowe 2 t29 Birdie Tebbetts 2 t29 Jason Thompson 2 t29 Dizzy Trout 2 * Player is currently active
Code:Manager Games Win % WS Titles Pennants Div Titles Wild Cards Sparky Anderson 2580 .516 1 1 2 Bill Armour 305 .497 Del Baker 778 .540 Buddy Bell 461 .399 Ty Cobb 933 .519 Mickey Cochrane 600 .582 1 2 Chuck Dressen 411 .539 Phil Garner 330 .439 Bucky Harris 1078 .481 Ralph Houk 806 .450 Fred Hutchinson 396 .397 Hughie Jennings 2127 .538 3 Jim Leyland 811 .523 1 1 Billy Martin 452 .549 1 George Moriarty 310 .489 Steve O’Neill 933 .551 1 1 Red Rolfe 539 .521 Bob Scheffing 384 .548 Mayo Smith 651 .560 1 1 Alan Trammell 486 .383 * Current manager