Thread: Best no. 2 starter post season?

Best no. 2 starter post season?

With Soriano on the way back, Robertson's success in the 8th and Mariano a given in the 9th, the Yanks main need for a Game 2 starter is someone who can go hard and give them a good 6 innings. Everything being the same as it is now, I think the best option is Bartolo Colon. I never would have thought this possible a few months ago but all the other starters make me nervous and don't match up talent wise with the number 2's that the other good teams possess. Burnett can ruin a game by the 2nd inning so forget about him. Hughes is still trying to figure it all out. Freddy Garcia looks very good as a 3rd or 4th if need be.

I can see Colon giving the Yankees the best 6+ inning option that they have available if the season ended today. Any better options available?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    With Soriano on the way back, Robertson's success in the 8th and Mariano a given in the 9th, the Yanks main need for a Game 2 starter is someone who can go hard and give them a good 6 innings. Everything being the same as it is now, I think the best option is Bartolo Colon. I never would have thought this possible a few months ago but all the other starters make me nervous and don't match up talent wise with the number 2's that the other good teams possess. Burnett can ruin a game by the 2nd inning so forget about him. Hughes is still trying to figure it all out. Freddy Garcia looks very good as a 3rd or 4th if need be.

I can see Colon giving the Yankees the best 6+ inning option that they have available if the season ended today. Any better options available?
    I agree, but I just hope he doesn't break down physically by the time the playoffs roll around. He's fat and out of shape and remember, he didn't really pitch at all for two years and he's going to have around 170 innings by the end of the regular season.
    "There has always been a saying in baseball that you can't make a hitter, but I think you can improve a hitter. More than you can improve a fielder. More mistakes are made hitting than in any other part of the game."
    - Ted Williams

"I know I'm the world's worst fielder, but who gets paid for fielding? There isn't a great fielder in baseball getting the kind of dough I get paid for hitting."
    - Dick Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I agree, but I just hope he doesn't break down physically by the time the playoffs roll around. He's fat and out of shape and remember, he didn't really pitch at all for two years and he's going to have around 170 innings by the end of the regular season.
    Exactly. It's gonna je Girardi's job to try and nurse him through the rest of the season. C. C. and Colon could be the fattest 1-2 punch in the history of baseball.

Freddy Garcia? Hes been pretty good.

No question it's Colon at this point but we need to be careful. It's been a long long time since he has pitched this much.

After that it might be Garcia but I don't trust that at all against Boston or other top teams.

Best bet might be Hughes. He needs to get straightened out but that seems somewhat more likely than AJ getting straightened out.

Would almost like to stretch out Noesi and see.

Blog Entries
    C'mon, hughes stinks. The only starter I trust less is Burnett.
    "There has always been a saying in baseball that you can't make a hitter, but I think you can improve a hitter. More than you can improve a fielder. More mistakes are made hitting than in any other part of the game."
    - Ted Williams

"I know I'm the world's worst fielder, but who gets paid for fielding? There isn't a great fielder in baseball getting the kind of dough I get paid for hitting."
    - Dick Stuart

Colon then Garcia/Nova. Burnett is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    C'mon, hughes stinks. The only starter I trust less is Burnett.
    Hughes is unquestionably off. He also has the stuff to pitch better. Garcia and Nova do not. Right now I'd use Garcia third but that's a loss so hopefully we will do better come October.