Thread: World Series Champions Draft

Hybrid View

World Series Champions Draft

Folks, I thought up a new draft idea and I'm lookin' for some interested BBFers to join me! Here's how it works:

We'll draft a 25-man roster which meets the following requirements:

4 starting pitchers
    5 relief pitchers
    8 players to start at each non-pitcher position
    2 backup infielders
    2 backup outfielders
    1 backup catcher
    3 spots which you can allocate at your own discretion

The pool of players will consist of any player to play on the winning side in the World Series, and you must declare which team you're drafting him from.

A player must have played in the World Series to be eligible. For instance, you can't draft Frank Thomas from the 2005 White Sox, because he missed the Series due to injury.

A player can only fill a position on your roster that he actually played in the World Series for the team you draft him from. Let's say you draft Willie Stargell. If you decide to draft him from the 1971 Pirates he can only play left field. If you draft him from the 1979 Pirates he can only play first base. A player who played multiple positions in one World Series is eligible to fill any of the positions he played.

We'll distinguish between starting pitchers and relief pitchers. That means if you decide to draft Nolan Ryan from the 1969 Mets he can only be used in your bullpen, since Ryan's sole appearance in that World Series was in relief.

If you draft a player who only pinch-hit or pinch-ran in the given World Series, that's all he can do for your team. Safe to say, this isn't the best use of a roster spot, so luminaries such as Herb Washington will likely be left on the board.

Since I'm not a fan of the DH rule, we won't be using it for our teams. You can draft a player who only played DH in the World Series, but if you do, he's only eligible to pinch-hit.

Once a participant has drafted from a particular World Series winner s/he cannot draft from that team again. If you choose Joe Morgan from the 1975 Reds and then decide you want Johnny Bench, you'd have to take Bench from the 1976 Reds. If you decide you want Dave Concepcion after that, you're out of luck.

Each championship team may only be selected from three times in the entire draft.

The draft will go snake-style, and there's no changing of players or teams once a pick is listed on the main draft page.

Each participant will have 12 hours to make a selection once his/her turn comes up. The hours of 2 AM-8 AM Central Time will be considered "dead time," during which the draft clock will be frozen (though you may make a pick during this time if you wish).

Once the draft is complete we'll determine a winner through a voting playoff.

This is a career draft, so how well a player performed in the given World Series or in the given season are irrelevant to evaluating rosters.

Interested in joining? Have any questions? Just let me know.

Those who've signed up:

1) ian2813
    2) BigRon
    3) chicagowhitesox1173
    4) Brad Harris
    5) Matthew C.
    6) Sockeye
    7) Windy City Fan
    8) SamtheBravesFan
    9) Tyrus4189Cobb
    Last edited by ian2813; 08-19-2011 at 09:24 PM.

No one's interested?

Haha, you didn't give people much time to reply.

I don't think I'll have consistent enough internet access to participate, although my situation might improve soon to allow it.

How would the players be evaluated? Is it based on their WS performance? Their production that season? Or their careers?
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Haha, you didn't give people much time to reply.

I don't think I'll have consistent enough internet access to participate, although my situation might improve soon to allow it.

How would the players be evaluated? Is it based on their WS performance? Their production that season? Or their careers?
    In other threads it appeared that responses usually started coming in within a few hours, so I figured one day was long enough to wait for a response.

Excellent question about the evaluation of players. I was thinking that we'd evaluate them on the basis of their careers, but for roster placement purposes we'd be going by their positions in the World Series they were drafted from.

In case anyone was unaware, it's easy to find the positions a player played in the World Series by going to Baseball-Reference and clicking "Postseason Gamelog" right above his postseason stats.

Participation here is often very sporadic. People will check in multiple times per day, but then it slows down almost to a stop. It's been a long time since we had anything going, so people get out of the habit of checking here. You might consider PMing recent participants in other All-Time drafts to see if anyone's interested.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a shot.

im in i was wasnt sure when it starts tho. Quick question too, So I pick a world series team who was in it and either won or lost but my pick for say 2nd base would be like a 75 or 76 reds joe morgan season if its my pick?
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 08-20-2011 at 02:49 AM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    im in i was wasnt sure when it starts tho. Quick question too, So I pick a world series team who was in it and either won or lost but my pick for say 2nd base would be like a 75 or 76 reds joe morgan season if its my pick?
    I'm hoping to get things started soon, CWS1173. I sent out some recruitment PM's the other day, and I'm just waiting to see if a few more people respond before I begin the draft.

The way this works is that we draft a 25-man roster from players who were on the winning side in the World Series (you cannot draft from a losing side, so that eliminates some all-time greats like Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and Barry Bonds).

For instance, with my first pick I could select Babe Ruth from the 1927 Yankees. Because Ruth only played right field in that World Series, the only place he can play for my team is in right field. If I select Ruth from the 1928 Yankees, I have the option of using him in either left or right field, because he played both positions in the World Series that year. If I select him from the 1916 Red Sox, I can only use him as a pitcher.

With my next pick I could select Pete Rose. If I draft him from the 1975 or 1976 Reds, he can only play third base for my team, since that's the only position he played in those World Series. If I select him from the 1980 Phillies, I can only use him as a first baseman.

Once a player is drafted he's off the board, so if I take Reggie Jackson from the 1973 A's, someone else can't come along and take Jackson from the 1977 Yankees.

Once we've each drafted our 25 players, we'll start a new thread where we can post our rosters, name our teams, set our rotations and batting orders, etc. I'll then arrange a series of head-to-head matchups where each participant gets to vote on which team is the better one, and we'll keep narrowing it down until we have a winner. At this point it doesn't matter which team a player was selected from, because we'll take the players' entire careers into account when judging the teams.

Does that answer your question?

Holy moly, play this right and this will take all the way until next season, or at least spring training to complete. Nice off season activity.

Ambitious as heck. Nice one Ian.

Ian, I don't know how many players we're up to. My experience is that 10 is a good upper limit. You're call, of course- just my opinion.

BigRon. We're up to nine. As I said above to CWS1173, I'm hoping to start the draft soon, like in the next couple of days.

I'm surprised that CandlestickBum thinks will take so long. For the Player Per Team Draft we had seven participants and we got through it in a few weeks. Of course, if it does take until Spring Training it means there'll be some new players in the pool before we finish. I can just imagine some of us watching the World Series and basing our rooting interests on which players we want to draft.
    Last edited by ian2813; 08-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.