X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian2813
    야구
    • Dec 2009

Matthew C. has told me through PM that he'd like to join our draft, which means that we'd have to allow two picks per champion. I haven't heard from chicagowhitesox1173 yet, but BigRon told me he preferred more participants, so I think the "more is better" sentiment is stronger.

That means we're up to five now! I think at least one more person would be ideal before we begin, but if we can't find that person we might be able to make it work with just five of us.
    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Sockeye
      Sunday, May 14, 1978
      • Mar 2006

Sounds interesting...sure count me in!
      My dream ballpark dimensions
      LF: 400 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
      Location....San Diego

Comment

• ian2813
        야구
        • Dec 2009

Awesome! Welcome, Sockeye!
        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Windy City Fan
          Bitter Optimist
          • Aug 2003

I'll give it a whirl.
          "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
          - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
          - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Comment

• ian2813
            야구
            • Dec 2009

Great! Welcome aboard, Windy City Fan!
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
              Braves Fan For Life
              • Nov 2005

I'll do it, ian!
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• ian2813
                야구
                • Dec 2009

Great to have you, Sam!

If anyone else joins we'll have to bump the limit up to three picks per championship team. It's no problem, though. I can keep track of it.
                Last edited by ian2813; 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM.
                Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                  Gator wrastler
                  • May 2007

Tyrus is in.

1) Are corner outfielders interchangeable?
                  2) How long do we have for each pick? Is there a "dead" time?
                  3) Would time zone would we use?
                  "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• ian2813
                    야구
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                    Tyrus is in.

1) Are corner outfielders interchangeable?
                    2) How long do we have for each pick? Is there a "dead" time?
                    3) Would time zone would we use?
                    Glad to have you, Tyrus! As for your questions:

1) No, corner outfielders are not interchangeable.
                    2) I think 12 hours for a pick is reasonable. "Dead time" (when the draft clock isn't running) can be 2 AM-8AM.
                    3) Since I'm from the Chicago area, we'll use the Central Time Zone.
                    Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                      2005 World Series Champs
                      • Jun 2010

im in i was wasnt sure when it starts tho. Quick question too, So I pick a world series team who was in it and either won or lost but my pick for say 2nd base would be like a 75 or 76 reds joe morgan season if its my pick?
                      Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 08-20-2011, 02:49 AM.
                      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• ian2813
                        야구
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                        im in i was wasnt sure when it starts tho. Quick question too, So I pick a world series team who was in it and either won or lost but my pick for say 2nd base would be like a 75 or 76 reds joe morgan season if its my pick?
                        I'm hoping to get things started soon, CWS1173. I sent out some recruitment PM's the other day, and I'm just waiting to see if a few more people respond before I begin the draft.

The way this works is that we draft a 25-man roster from players who were on the winning side in the World Series (you cannot draft from a losing side, so that eliminates some all-time greats like Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and Barry Bonds).

For instance, with my first pick I could select Babe Ruth from the 1927 Yankees. Because Ruth only played right field in that World Series, the only place he can play for my team is in right field. If I select Ruth from the 1928 Yankees, I have the option of using him in either left or right field, because he played both positions in the World Series that year. If I select him from the 1916 Red Sox, I can only use him as a pitcher.

With my next pick I could select Pete Rose. If I draft him from the 1975 or 1976 Reds, he can only play third base for my team, since that's the only position he played in those World Series. If I select him from the 1980 Phillies, I can only use him as a first baseman.

Once a player is drafted he's off the board, so if I take Reggie Jackson from the 1973 A's, someone else can't come along and take Jackson from the 1977 Yankees.

Once we've each drafted our 25 players, we'll start a new thread where we can post our rosters, name our teams, set our rotations and batting orders, etc. I'll then arrange a series of head-to-head matchups where each participant gets to vote on which team is the better one, and we'll keep narrowing it down until we have a winner. At this point it doesn't matter which team a player was selected from, because we'll take the players' entire careers into account when judging the teams.

Does that answer your question?
                        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• CandlestickBum
                          2010, Year of the Giant
                          • Aug 2006

Holy moly, play this right and this will take all the way until next season, or at least spring training to complete. Nice off season activity.

Ambitious as heck. Nice one Ian.

Comment

• BigRon
                            • Jan 2009

Ian, I don't know how many players we're up to. My experience is that 10 is a good upper limit. You're call, of course- just my opinion.

Comment

• ian2813
                              야구
                              • Dec 2009

BigRon. We're up to nine. As I said above to CWS1173, I'm hoping to start the draft soon, like in the next couple of days.

I'm surprised that CandlestickBum thinks will take so long. For the Player Per Team Draft we had seven participants and we got through it in a few weeks. Of course, if it does take until Spring Training it means there'll be some new players in the pool before we finish. I can just imagine some of us watching the World Series and basing our rooting interests on which players we want to draft.
                              Last edited by ian2813; 08-20-2011, 06:21 PM.
                              Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• CandlestickBum
                                2010, Year of the Giant
                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                                I'm surprised that CandlestickBum thinks will take so long. For the Player Per Team Draft we had seven participants and we got through it in a few weeks. Of course, if it does take until Spring Training it means there'll be some new players in the pool before we finish. I can just imagine some of us watching the World Series and basing our rooting interests on which players we want to draft.
                                Well, the draft itself will probably take 4 weeks or so, depending, but the real time is going to be discussing relative stengths of the results. "Oh no, Maddux's adjusted HR per lefties with 2 outs is MUCH better in the 6th inning than Johnsons." "WAR schmore, this guys' post season peak was awesome".

That was the thought anyway. *shrug*

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X