Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: World Series Champions Draft

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,176
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    im in i was wasnt sure when it starts tho. Quick question too, So I pick a world series team who was in it and either won or lost but my pick for say 2nd base would be like a 75 or 76 reds joe morgan season if its my pick?
    I'm hoping to get things started soon, CWS1173. I sent out some recruitment PM's the other day, and I'm just waiting to see if a few more people respond before I begin the draft.

    The way this works is that we draft a 25-man roster from players who were on the winning side in the World Series (you cannot draft from a losing side, so that eliminates some all-time greats like Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and Barry Bonds).

    For instance, with my first pick I could select Babe Ruth from the 1927 Yankees. Because Ruth only played right field in that World Series, the only place he can play for my team is in right field. If I select Ruth from the 1928 Yankees, I have the option of using him in either left or right field, because he played both positions in the World Series that year. If I select him from the 1916 Red Sox, I can only use him as a pitcher.

    With my next pick I could select Pete Rose. If I draft him from the 1975 or 1976 Reds, he can only play third base for my team, since that's the only position he played in those World Series. If I select him from the 1980 Phillies, I can only use him as a first baseman.

    Once a player is drafted he's off the board, so if I take Reggie Jackson from the 1973 A's, someone else can't come along and take Jackson from the 1977 Yankees.

    Once we've each drafted our 25 players, we'll start a new thread where we can post our rosters, name our teams, set our rotations and batting orders, etc. I'll then arrange a series of head-to-head matchups where each participant gets to vote on which team is the better one, and we'll keep narrowing it down until we have a winner. At this point it doesn't matter which team a player was selected from, because we'll take the players' entire careers into account when judging the teams.

    Does that answer your question?

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,223
    Holy moly, play this right and this will take all the way until next season, or at least spring training to complete. Nice off season activity.

    Ambitious as heck. Nice one Ian.

  3. #28
    Ian, I don't know how many players we're up to. My experience is that 10 is a good upper limit. You're call, of course- just my opinion.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,176
    BigRon. We're up to nine. As I said above to CWS1173, I'm hoping to start the draft soon, like in the next couple of days.

    I'm surprised that CandlestickBum thinks will take so long. For the Player Per Team Draft we had seven participants and we got through it in a few weeks. Of course, if it does take until Spring Training it means there'll be some new players in the pool before we finish. I can just imagine some of us watching the World Series and basing our rooting interests on which players we want to draft.
    Last edited by ian2813; 08-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    I'm surprised that CandlestickBum thinks will take so long. For the Player Per Team Draft we had seven participants and we got through it in a few weeks. Of course, if it does take until Spring Training it means there'll be some new players in the pool before we finish. I can just imagine some of us watching the World Series and basing our rooting interests on which players we want to draft.
    Well, the draft itself will probably take 4 weeks or so, depending, but the real time is going to be discussing relative stengths of the results. "Oh no, Maddux's adjusted HR per lefties with 2 outs is MUCH better in the 6th inning than Johnsons." "WAR schmore, this guys' post season peak was awesome".

    That was the thought anyway. *shrug*

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,176
    Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Well, the draft itself will probably take 4 weeks or so, depending, but the real time is going to be discussing relative stengths of the results. "Oh no, Maddux's adjusted HR per lefties with 2 outs is MUCH better in the 6th inning than Johnsons." "WAR schmore, this guys' post season peak was awesome".

    That was the thought anyway. *shrug*
    Well, we'll see. I have no doubt it'll take longer than the last one I did, since we have more participants and allow more time between picks, but going until Spring Training seems a bit liberal an estimate. Of course, my experience with these things is fairly limited, so what do I know?

    Anyway, I think I've waited long enough for extra responses, so I'm going to set a start time for the draft and PM all the participants.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Posts
    3,867
    Just need to clear up one thing. I know once we pick a player from a certain team, that team is no longer eligible. However, does that mean that player is also off the board entirely? Or could I have Babe Ruth from the 1926 team, even though Ruth from the 27 club was already drafted?
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

    "Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    Just need to clear up one thing. I know once we pick a player from a certain team, that team is no longer eligible. However, does that mean that player is also off the board entirely? Or could I have Babe Ruth from the 1926 team, even though Ruth from the 27 club was already drafted?
    A player is off the board entirely once he's been drafted from any team.

    Also, just in case there was any confusion, a team may be selected from up to three times in the entire draft, but no individual participant may draft from the same team twice.
    Last edited by ian2813; 08-21-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •