Thread: Players who played for Atlanta Braves and another team

Players who played for Atlanta Braves and another team

There have been many players who have played for the Atlanta Braves and another team so I decided to come up with a list of those players using only an individual player only one time. For example, Gaylord Perry played for many teams as well as Atlanta, but for various reasons I chose the Seattle Mariners. I tried to get players who had significant seasons for both teams if possible. Sometimes the player is well known for one team but not for the other. Sometimes the player is obscure for both teams. In two cases I didn't have players for Atlanta so I used coach/managers. At least they wore both uniforms. Which reminds me does anyone know of a link where I could find pictures of players in their various team uniforms so I could have a side by side shot of players wearing both uniforms? I'm not sure how long I can write for one post so my next post I'll write the actual list.

For brevity I'll just list the name of the other team, but of course they played for Atlanta as well. If they were a Hall of Famer, I'll put an "H" next to their name. Anyway, here's the list: Boston Braves: Eddie Mathews H, Milwaukee Braves: Phil Niekro H, Atlanta Braves: Chipper Jones (his only team), Florida Marlins: Dan Uggla, New York Mets: Tom Glavine, Philadelphia Phillies: Dale Murphy, Montreal Expos: Marquis Grissom, Washington Nationals: Vinny Castilla, Chicago Cubs: Greg Maddux, Cincinnati Reds: Tony Cloninger, Houston Colt 45s: Ken Johnson, Houston Astros: Bob Watson, Seattle Pilots: Jim Bouton, American League Milwaukee Brewers II: Hank Aaron H, National League Milwaukee Brewers: Johnny Estrada, Pittsburgh Pirates: Sid Bream, St. Louis Cardinals: Bruce Sutter H, Arizona Cardinals: Russ Ortiz, Colorado Rockies: Andres Galarraga, Brooklyn Dodgers: Bob Aspromonte, Los Angeles Dodgers: Brett Butler, San Diego Padres: Ryan Klesko, New York Giants: Hoyt Wilhelm, San Francisco Giants: Orlando Cepeda H, St. Louis Browns: Satchel Paige H (coach for the Braves), Baltimore Orioles: Davey Johnson, Boston Red Sox: John Smoltz, New York Yankees: Chris Chambliss, Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Gerald Williams, Tampa Bay Rays: Willie Aybar, Toronto Blue Jays: Fred McGriff, Chicago White Sox: Ozzie Guillen, Cleveland Indians: David Justice, Detroit Tigers: Darrell Evans, Kansas City Royals: Charlie Liebrandt, American League Washington Senators I: Zoillo Versalles, Minnesota Twins: Joe Niekro, Los Angeles Angels: Aubrey Gatewood, California Angels: Wally Joyner, Anaheim Angels: Kent Mercker, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Garrett Anderson, Philadelphia Athletics: Vern Benson (coach/manager only for Atlanta), Kansas City Athletics: Jack Aker, Oakland Athletics: Walt Weiss, Seattle Mariners: Gaylord Perry, American League Washington Senators II: Jeff Burroughs, Texas Rangers: Mark Teixeira. Whew!

Welcome to Baseball Fever. I think you might need to give this project up... there are literally thousands of players who have played for the Braves and another team.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not trying to come up with a list of every player who ever played for Atlanta or another team, just one representative for Atlanta and another team without using any player more than once. I'd also like a picture of that player in both uniforms. Do you think I have the best representatives? I think maybe Troy Glaus would be better for Anaheim and Atlanta than Kent Mercker. What do you think?

You might consider Andy Pafko as your Brooklyn Dodger. He didn't spend a long time with the Dodgers (a little over one and a half seasons) but he's identified with them by many people by his appearance in Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer.

And you're probably right about using Glaus rather than Kent.

Most of the rest of your choices are quite good.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Andy Pafko is good except he never played for the Braves when they were in Atlanta. I also like the fact that Bob Aspromonte is the last former Brooklyn Dodger still active in the Major Leagues. Many people think it's Don Drysdale, but it's Aspromonte who only had a cup of coffee with Brooklyn but who stayed in the majors longer.

I understand what you're trying to do now. My apologies.

No problem. It's kind of a silly endeavor, but I just became fascinated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyD View Post
    No problem. It's kind of a silly endeavor, but I just became fascinated with it.
    Hey, I can sympathize. It's just something to do and it involves baseball.