Thread: Yankees Trivia

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Yankees Trivia

I got the idea for this thread from the Mets forum. This thread is for trivia questions/answers specifically related to the New York Yankees.

I'll start:

Who are the last 5 Yankee hitters to hit 3 home runs in a game?

I knew this was a bad idea as soon as I read 'mets forum'.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    I knew this was a bad idea as soon as I read 'mets forum'.
    Why is it a bad idea?

I like the idea. It should be fun, keep things active and interesting. Is this the sort of thread where the person who answers the question correctly asks the next question? Or will GiambiJuice be MC'ing the affair?
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Who are the last 5 Yankee hitters to hit 3 home runs in a game?
    It's a fairly rare feat, so I'm just going to go with five Yankees that I'm positive have hit three in a game:

Mark Teixeira
    Alex Rodriguez
    Tony Clark (not positive about this one)
    Tino Martinez
    Darryl Strawberry

Just for fun, I'll also point out that I remember O'Neill hitting three in a game, but I think that that was 1995 (and I'm pretty sure Strawberry hit three in 1996).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    I like the idea. It should be fun, keep things active and interesting. Is this the sort of thread where the person who answers the question correctly asks the next question? Or will GiambiJuice be MC'ing the affair?

It's a fairly rare feat, so I'm just going to go with five Yankees that I'm positive have hit three in a game:

Mark Teixeira
    Alex Rodriguez
    Tino Martinez
    Darryl Strawberry

Just for fun, I'll also point out that I remember O'Neill hitting three in a game, but I think that that was 1995 (and I'm pretty sure Strawberry hit three in 1996).
    Anybody who wants to ask questions can ask and anyone who wants to answer can answer. This is meant to be fun, it's not anything official and I didn't plan on MC'ing anything :-)

You nailed all five hitters on your first guess. Very impressive. A-Rod has actually done it twice as a Yankee. His famous 10-RBI game against Bartolo Colon and the Angels in 2005, and again in 2010 against Kansas City.

I actually forgot that Rodriguez hit three out against the Royals last season. I'm assuming it was after Teixeira, as I'm pretty sure that he accomplished the feat in early May against ... the Red Sox, maybe.

I'll take the next question, though I won't be home until after 5 to confirm whether the answerer is correct (I wouldn't mind if someone else stepped in and confirmed the answer). Eight Yankees have won the Rookie of the Year award - can you name five?

Blog Entries
    I actually forgot that Rodriguez hit three out against the Royals last season. I'm assuming it was after Teixeira, as I'm pretty sure that he accomplished the feat in early May against ... the Red Sox, maybe.

I'll take the next question, though I won't be home until after 5 to confirm whether the answerer is correct (I wouldn't mind if someone else stepped in and confirmed the answer). Eight Yankees have won the Rookie of the Year award - can you name five?
    Hmmm...

Derek Jeter
    Thurmon Munson
    Dave Righetti
    Tony Kubek
    Kevin Mass

?

I'm pretty sure about the first four, not so sure about Maas.

The first four are correct - Maas did not win the award, however.

A couple of hints - one of the others died in November 2010, having spent his entire career with the Yankees (and winning five WS). Another was the last rookie shortstop to start on Opening Day (prior to Jeter, of course).

Mark Teixeira
    Alex Rodriguez
    Tino Martinez
    Darryl Strawberry

O'Neill did it on an episode of Seinfeld, although the last HR was an inside-the-parker, which was later ruled a triple on a throwing error.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!