Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: World Series Champions: Official Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Point of order: my pick is after CWS's. Didn't see your inbox until this morning Ian, but did not pick yesterday as CWS had not.
    No matter.

Max Bishop, 1929 A's lefty batting 2B
    Charlie Gelbert, 1931 Cards SS
    You'll have to replace one of these picks, CandlestickBum. You need two backup outfielders on your roster, and you still don't even have one. You only have one pick left after these two, so you'll have to make one of these picks an outfielder instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    You'll have to replace one of these picks, CandlestickBum. You need two backup outfielders on your roster, and you still don't even have one. You only have one pick left after these two, so you'll have to make one of these picks an outfielder instead.
    Sorry. And thanks.

Scratch Gelbert, sorry RHH for
    Joe Rudy 1974 OAK (LF or 1B)

Are we stuck? Windy's up, I believe, and has a few more hours.

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Pitching depth is always helpful. I'll take Ed Reulbach of the 08 Cubs.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

i already took him
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Kevin Appier then.
    - Sammy Sosa

The 1974 A's and 2002 Angels are off the board!

Sherry Magee, PH, 1919 Cincinnati Reds
    Last edited by Brad Harris; 09-17-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Sherry Magee, PH, 1919 Cincinnati Reds
    Here on the 24th Round we see our first pinch-hitter drafted! Not a bad move! A career 136 OPS+ certainly comes in handy in a tight situation!

The 1919 Reds are now off the board!
    Last edited by ian2813; 09-17-2011 at 06:53 PM.

I need a righthanded hitting leftfielder with power to do a little platoon work, and to provide a strong bat off the bench. I've been looking at a Cincinnati guy who fits the mold. But, as Ian kindly noted, there's another Cincy guy who also played some left. Personally, I think this guy was a better all around player, though he was hurt a lot. Great speed, good defense despite what WAR says. So, I'll take

Eric Davis, LF- 1990 Cincinnati Reds.

Here on the 24th Round we see our first pinch-hitter drafted! Not a bad move! A career 136 OPS+ certainly comes in handy in a tight situation!
    So do the 441 stolen bases in case I need a pinch runner.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Eric Davis, LF- 1990 Cincinnati Reds.
    The 1990 Cincinnati Reds are off the board! I'd also like to note that if one more person picks from the 1991 Minnesota Twins, the entire 1990's will be off the board.

Bert Campaneris of the 1972 A's

My final pick is Gene Woodling of the 1953 Yankees. Mr. Woodling holds a very unique distinction of having played his only postseason games with all five of the Yankees' 1949-1953 World Series stretch (which they all won).
    Last edited by Tyrus4189Cobb; 09-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    George Davis of the 1906 White Sox
    I believe Ian already chose George Davis
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    I believe Ian already chose George Davis
    I double-checked and everything. Too many names I must have missed him. Instead I'll take Bert Campaneris of the 1972 A's.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Normally I'd take another pitcher at this point. But, in spirit with the rules Ian has created, I'll pick a backup CFer so I'll be covered at every position. Of course, I already have a backup CFer in Eric Davis, but he can't play there according to the rules. So, I'll take one of the few guys who could go get 'em like Willie Mays-

Curt Flood, CF- 1964 St. Louis Cardinals.

Jim Brewer, RP, 1965 Los Angeles Dodgers

Begone, 1972 A's! Away with you, 1964 Cardinals! Get outta heah, 1965 Dodgers! You're all off the board!

Ian, are you planning to set up a roster thread? It also could be used to post each team's "essay", if that's what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Ian, are you planning to set up a roster thread? It also could be used to post each team's "essay", if that's what you want to do.
    I set up a roster thread just the other day. Check it out.

Phil Rizzuto 1951 Yankees
    - Sammy Sosa

For my final pick I will take a player who, while not great, was pretty solid in a fairly short career. He provides me with a left-handed bat off the bench and is versatile enough to play all three outfield positions. That's right, boys and girls, I'm talking about:

Wally Moon, 1959 Los Angeles Dodgers, LF, CF, RF

For my final pick I will take a player who, while not great, was pretty solid in a fairly short career. He provides me with a left-handed bat off the bench and is versatile enough to play all three outfield positions. That's right, boys and girls, I'm talking about:

Wally Moon, 1959 Los Angeles Dodgers, LF, CF, RF
    These guys like Derrill Thomas and Wally Moon I'll admit I snicker at but now I have to wonder if there more valuable than PieTraynor or Bernie Williams but being new to these drafts its a learning lesson but still I find it hard to believe that they would be much of a factor on any team. No disrespect on the picks but my god if I can take Ted Kluzinski or Greg Luzinski im taking em both over Wally Moon. Jeez dont get me started on who ya can pick over Derrill Thomas. Again no offense here because im sure you know what your doing.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 09-18-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    These guys like Derrill Thomas and Wally Moon I'll admit I snicker at but now I have to wonder if there more valuable than PieTraynor or Bernie Williams but being new to these drafts its a learning lesson but still I find it hard to believe that they would be much of a factor on any team. No disrespect on the picks but my god if I can take Ted Kluzinski or Greg Luzinski im taking em both over Wally Moon. Jeez dont get me started on who ya can pick over Derrill Thomas. Again no offense here because im sure you know what your doing.
    To be perfectly honest, I doubt any of us truly "knows" what he's doing. Since we can't be certain how the voters will evaluate our teams, we can only choose a strategy and cross our fingers that it pays off once we get to that stage of the competition. I opted for versatility because I hope the voters will look favorably on it. If they don't, well, that's the price you pay for taking risks.

With our last pick we will take a player with 63.4 WAR and a 137 OPS+ Reggie Smith - 1981 Dodgers
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast