Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: World Series Champions: Official Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    For my final pick I will take a player who, while not great, was pretty solid in a fairly short career. He provides me with a left-handed bat off the bench and is versatile enough to play all three outfield positions. That's right, boys and girls, I'm talking about:

Wally Moon, 1959 Los Angeles Dodgers, LF, CF, RF
    These guys like Derrill Thomas and Wally Moon I'll admit I snicker at but now I have to wonder if there more valuable than PieTraynor or Bernie Williams but being new to these drafts its a learning lesson but still I find it hard to believe that they would be much of a factor on any team. No disrespect on the picks but my god if I can take Ted Kluzinski or Greg Luzinski im taking em both over Wally Moon. Jeez dont get me started on who ya can pick over Derrill Thomas. Again no offense here because im sure you know what your doing.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 09-18-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    These guys like Derrill Thomas and Wally Moon I'll admit I snicker at but now I have to wonder if there more valuable than PieTraynor or Bernie Williams but being new to these drafts its a learning lesson but still I find it hard to believe that they would be much of a factor on any team. No disrespect on the picks but my god if I can take Ted Kluzinski or Greg Luzinski im taking em both over Wally Moon. Jeez dont get me started on who ya can pick over Derrill Thomas. Again no offense here because im sure you know what your doing.
    To be perfectly honest, I doubt any of us truly "knows" what he's doing. Since we can't be certain how the voters will evaluate our teams, we can only choose a strategy and cross our fingers that it pays off once we get to that stage of the competition. I opted for versatility because I hope the voters will look favorably on it. If they don't, well, that's the price you pay for taking risks.

With our last pick we will take a player with 63.4 WAR and a 137 OPS+ Reggie Smith - 1981 Dodgers
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    With our last pick we will take a player with 63.4 WAR and a 137 OPS+ Reggie Smith - 1981 Dodgers
    Not a bad guy to have in a pinch-hitting role. I probably would've taken him myself if I could've played him in the field. And the 1981 Dodgers come off the board.

Mike Scoscia - 1988 Dodgers
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Not a bad guy to have in a pinch-hitting role. I probably would've taken him myself if I could've played him in the field. And the 1981 Dodgers come off the board.
    Nice to have his kind of power (314 home runs) coming off the bench.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Eddie Rommnel 1929 A's
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 09-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Ex Giant and big time hustler, Dan Gladden 1987 Twins OF

And the draft is officially over! Great job, everyone! Of the 106 World Series Champions, we eliminated almost half of them (51, to be exact), and picked from all but nine of them. We saw some interesting strategies, and CandlestickBum deserves some props for taking over after one of our participants deserted us. I want to thank you all for your time and effort in making this draft a fun experience!

Now it's time to start preparing for the playoffs. If you haven't already done so, please post your roster in the official Roster Thread, along with your pitching rotation and batting order. Since I'm sure we'd all like a breather after that draft, I'll give everyone until the end of the week to do so.

And the draft is officially over! Great job, everyone! Of the 106 World Series Champions, we eliminated almost half of them (51, to be exact), and picked from all but nine of them. We saw some interesting strategies, and CandlestickBum deserves some props for taking over after one of our participants deserted us. I want to thank you all for your time and effort in making this draft a fun experience!

Now it's time to start preparing for the playoffs. If you haven't already done so, please post your roster in the official Roster Thread, along with your pitching rotation and batting order. Since I'm sure we'd all like a breather after that draft, I'll give everyone until the end of the week to do so.
    Nice job being on top of things. Thanks for hosting!
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Going to go ahead and bow out now and let you pros go at it. Learned a lot, not the least was my own lack of knowledge. Heh. Tried to take it serious at first, but holy moly, was spending hours to find one player. It wasn't totally unenjoyable and understand why some of you have become such "researchers" and have learned so many players new to me and bits of baseball history, if I had more time....... (cop out?)

Anyway thanks for letting me participate, and thanks for all the help, hope I wasn't too much of a PITA. Will go back to the safety of the balcony where I can throw popcorn.

Dale

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627