Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Champions: Official Draft Thread

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Really happy this guy came back around to me, I'm surprised he's still available this late in the draft. Hank Greenberg.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    Really happy this guy came back around to me, I'm surprised he's still available this late in the draft. Hank Greenberg.
    im guessing he would want 1935 Greenberg due to Raines is his leftfielder.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

You didn't declare a team, but since you've already drafted from the 1935 Tigers, you'd have to take Greenberg from the 1945 Tigers. Do you plan to platoon Greenberg and Raines in left field?
    Last edited by ian2813; 08-30-2011 at 06:51 PM.

do we make trades on here?
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    do we make trades on here?
    No, there are no trades in this draft.

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    No. I didn't realize Greenberg only played LF for the 45 team. (Shoulda picked one of Cochrane's A's teams instead of his Tigers team) If can redo the pick, I'd take Barry Larkin instead. I know he played SS in the 1990 WS because I watched him.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

No. I didn't realize Greenberg only played LF for the 45 team. (Shoulda picked one of Cochrane's A's teams instead of his Tigers team) If can redo the pick, I'd take Barry Larkin instead. I know he played SS in the 1990 WS because I watched him.
    Larkin it is. Just a reminder, Windy City Fan, if you're not sure which position a player played in the World Series, you can go to Baseball-Reference, find the page of the player you want and click on the "Postseason Gamelog" link to find out. I always check with each of my picks, even when I'm 99% sure of them beforehand.

Jim Edmonds, CF - 2006 St. Louis Cardinals
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Looks like some of our guys aren't doing their research. I was hoping Greenberg would make it back to me. Well, he has, and now I've got to make a decision. Greenberg, who clearly would have hit more than 500 homers if not for military service, or a guy who DID hit more than 500- 583, to be exact. I'm really not sure who was better. Well, I'll take the one without the baggage:

Hank Greenberg, 1B- 1935 Detroit Tigers.

Team #5 to come off the board is...the 1935 Detroit Tigers.

Curses! Ian took Bucketfoot Al, not only a great choice but one of my all-time favorites. Gimme a few minutes I must change tactics.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Don Drysdale of the 1965 Dodgers and Lou Whitaker of the 1984 Tigers
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Curses! Ian took Bucketfoot Al, not only a great choice but one of my all-time favorites. Gimme a few minutes I must change tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Don Drysdale of the 1965 Dodgers and Lou Whitaker of the 1984 Tigers
    Drysdale was on my radar for my next pick, so you've counter-foiled my plans.

I think Simmons was on the radar of several of us.

Hmmm, decision time. I'm not one to overrate relievers, as I believe many do. However, due to the- ahem- intriguing selection process of at least one of our members, top relievers are vanishing. Therefore, I'll take one of the very best-

Hoyt Wilhelm, RP- 1954 New York Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I think Simmons was on the radar of several of us.

Hmmm, decision time. I'm not one to overrate relievers, as I believe many do. However, due to the- ahem- intriguing selection process of at least one of our members, top relievers are vanishing. Therefore, I'll take one of the very best-

Hoyt Wilhelm, RP- 1954 New York Giants.
    You've already got Mays from the 1954 Giants. You can't draft Wilhelm.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    You've already got Mays from the 1954 Giants. You can't draft Wilhelm.
    Omigosh! And here I was mocking others for not doing their homework! Sorry about that. Give me a few minutes.

Frankie Frisch, 2B - 1934 St. Louis Cardinals
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Okay-

Eddie Cicotte, SP AND RP- 1917 Chicago White Sox.

The 1917 White Sox are now out. You sure like taking teams off the board, don't you Ron? Of the six teams that have been eliminated so far, three of them have been on your picks. Matthew, CWS and I account for the other three.

Nice grab, Ron. Highly underrated pitcher. Had he not participated in the 1919 fix he might well have won 300 and gone to the Hall.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast