Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Champions: Official Draft Thread

Thanks for making my pick, CWS. It stinks being halfway across the world, because I miss out on all this action.

I had a hunch there'd be some increased demand for catchers after CWS selected I-Rod. I'm pretty sure I know which "quality catcher" is the last one remaining, and I doubt this player will be on the board when my turn comes up again. If he's selected, that'll deprive me of a pick that I was hoping to make in the later rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Three-time MVP Roy Campanella (C, 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers) isn't a bad consolation prize at catcher. I'll try to hide my disappointment.
    And there's the guy I was just talking about. The 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers are the latest team to come off the board. If you were hoping to nab Pee Wee Reese as your shortstop or put Don Newcombe in your starting rotation, it's time for Plan B.

I was 99% certain that Brad would pick Campy, but I could hope.... Thanks a lot CWS for taking a number 2 catcher you didn't need!

I'm going to think about this for a bit before I make my next pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I was 99% certain that Brad would pick Campy, but I could hope.... Thanks a lot CWS for taking a number 2 catcher you didn't need!

I'm going to think about this for a bit before I make my next pick.
    Sorry Bigron i just didnt want to end up with Wally Schang as my backup but im sure it will hit me hard later. I have no pitching, I shoulda taken Schilling instead of Chief Bender. I never liked Schilling but in this draft hes a good one. Plus I was so mad Brad took Frisch I figured I would hit him where it hurt him, but he still ended up with a pretty good catcher.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 09-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    Plus I was so mad Brad took Frisch I figured I would hit him where it hurt him, but he still ended up with a pretty good catcher.
    Pretty good? He only won 3 NL MVP awards!

My team's too righthanded. I need an outstanding lefthanded hitter and a strong defensive leftfielder. I'll take

Leon "Goose" Goslin, LF- 1924 Washington Senators.

Delete- duplicate post.
    Last edited by BigRon; 09-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Like Ron, I'm also lacking left-handed batters. Sam Rice of the 1924 Senators, please.

I'm taking Rollie Fingers of the 1974 A's after that.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Like Ron, I'm also lacking left-handed batters. Sam Rice of the 1924 Senators, please.

I'm taking Rollie Fingers of the 1974 A's after that.
    And just like that we say "buh-bye!" to the 1924 Washington Senators. I didn't make any predictions before this draft began, but if you'd asked me, I probably wouldn't have guessed that the '24 Nats would be one of the first ten teams off the board.

Lots of decisions to make. Well, I'll take a guy I always liked- I've got friends who saw him a lot and said he was a terrific all around player.

Lou Boudreau, SS- 1948 Cleveland Indians.

Need a southpaw in my rotation so Prince Hal will be a nice little plug at this point.

Hal Newhouser, SP - 1945 Detroit Tigers
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Lots of decisions to make. Well, I'll take a guy I always liked- I've got friends who saw him a lot and said he was a terrific all around player.

Lou Boudreau, SS- 1948 Cleveland Indians.
    Out of curiosity, how fast would you say he was?

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    I could use a left handed slugger to hit behind DiMaggio. I need a first baseman. I think I'll go with Willie Stargell 1979 Pirates.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    I could use a left handed slugger to hit behind DiMaggio. I need a first baseman. I think I'll go with Willie Stargell 1979 Pirates.
    Nice pick. Since I'm also in the market for a first baseman, I'm glad you didn't take the one I had my eye on:

Eddie Murray, 1983 Baltimore Orioles

Out of curiosity, how fast would you say he was?
    Based entirely on what I've heard/read, I'd say he was about average for his time- no better than that. I think Boudreau had flat feet or some similar problem- that may have kept him out of the military during the war. Supposedly he was an exceptional athlete other than his lack of speed. But, like Groat after him, Boudreau still played a good shortstop despite average speed. Quickness and intelligence probably helped make up for lack of speed.
    Last edited by BigRon; 09-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Willie Randolph - 1977 Yankees
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Dazzy Vance - RP 1934 Cardinals
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    Dazzy Vance - RP 1934 Cardinals
    I consider this to be a very good pick- it will be interesting to see how others view it. Not everyone believes that starters are inherently better than relief pitchers, and could do as well/better if they were put in that role. I'd also forgotten that Vance pitched for the 34 Cards. I knew he'd been traded, and thought that he'd been with the Reds for a while.

I consider this to be a very good pick- it will be interesting to see how others view it. Not everyone believes that starters are inherently better than relief pitchers, and could do as well/better if they were put in that role. I'd also forgotten that Vance pitched for the 34 Cards. I knew he'd been traded, and thought that he'd been with the Reds for a while.
    As a whole, relievers have much better ERAs due to lack of arm wear and tear, platooning, batter/pitcher familiarity advantages, and the chance to throw harder. Vance did pitch out of the bullpen some in real life- but as a 41+ year old who no longer had it. I have no trouble at all believing that Vance, who led the league in strikeouts 7x in a row, would have blown through batters during his prime if able to let lose even more out of the pen.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Joe McGinnity SP NewYork Giants 1905
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Joe McGinnity SP NewYork Giants 1905
    I'm so mad I could swear. Fudging Bloomfeathers!

I'm so mad I could swear. Fudging Bloomfeathers!
    i felt the same way about sam rice. i really wanted him. i never realized how good he was. Thats where my goofy ivan rodriguez pick hurt me. gotta say i deserved to lose rice from that pick.

i felt the same way about sam rice. i really wanted him. i never realized how good he was. Thats where my goofy ivan rodriguez pick hurt me. gotta say i deserved to lose rice from that pick.
    No argument here. LOL
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Since Sam has yet to makeup his pick from last round, should we skip him?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    No argument here. LOL
    lol yeah i deff deserved it. i gotta say if we could trade players id give you bench or i rodriguez for frisch. id give m brown or mcginnity to tyrus for rice if i could.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast