Thread: Dre's Slump

Dre's Slump

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...ce=twitter.com

Interesting read from Simer's LA Times article. Sounds as if either Dre or Ned is not coming completely clean on the injury details. I want to believe Ethier is being forthright. I would hate for him to leave the Dodgers, but it sounds as if he has had enough, at least at this point. Maybe if there is new ownership in place by wintertime he will resign and stay. And finally be able to get truly healthy. Not that Rivera is the best possible solution in LF, but a Dodgers OF of Ethier, Kemp, and Rivera for a few years doesn't sound all the bad to me. Not bad at all.

And I was worried more about dealing Loney and finding a 1B with some pop! Now Loney is on fire and Ethier is grumpy and hurting, and seeminly wants to leave. What a long, stressful season!
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/L...-injury-082811

Oh please, don't let negativity creep into the clubhouse again this season. Let's just play hard the remaining games and try to keep it positive. I fear that Ethier's unhappiness has caused him to say some things publicly he should have kept private. It seems to me from the article that Mattingly is trying to "take the high road", but if Andre wasn't honest about the whole ordeal then it is what it is, and he needs to be knocked down a few notches and remember they're all in this mess together.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

According to Steve Lyons on Dodgers Live one of the authors (Simer I think) likes to stir controversy and this is just another one of his controversial reports. I don't think the throw outs at home plate and running thru the "stop sign" were deliberate errors. I hope that if there is a problem it can be sorted out and Ethier can settle down. If he needs surgery, then get it done! If he can get thru the season then let he and medical staff make the decisions on a day to day basis. Please though, I hope the crap, media driven, can be left behind.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...rtnerId=rss_la

It looks like cooler heads will prevail after all. I have to believe that the closed-door meeting involving Mattingly (and to a lesser extent, Colletti) allowed Ethier to get his head screwed on straight. I am very happy that Don Mattingly is the Dodgers' manager!

Hey guys, I have a question for ya. I run a simulation fantasy baseball league (where we set up lineups and a computer plays actual games between teams), and I have a small controversy on my hands. I have been researching players who were "shut down" at the end of the season but did not go on the DL because their MLB teams had the 40-man roster for space, and one player I'm having trouble with is Andre Ethier. What was the feeling from SoCal regarding his injury/surgery? Would he have continued to play had the team been in contention? Or would he have had the surgery anyway? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravecky43 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a question for ya. I run a simulation fantasy baseball league (where we set up lineups and a computer plays actual games between teams), and I have a small controversy on my hands. I have been researching players who were "shut down" at the end of the season but did not go on the DL because their MLB teams had the 40-man roster for space, and one player I'm having trouble with is Andre Ethier. What was the feeling from SoCal regarding his injury/surgery? Would he have continued to play had the team been in contention? Or would he have had the surgery anyway? Thanks.
    Others here may disagree, but I believe that, if the Dodgers had been battling to make the playoffs, that Ethier would have continued to play every day. He had been playing hurt at less than 100% for quite a while anyway, so I feel that a possible spot in the postseason would have emboldened him to continue "fighting the good fight" and put off the surgery until after the season.

Last edited by bhss89; 10-04-2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: added additional text

Cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bhss89 View Post
    Others here may disagree, but I believe that, if the Dodgers had been battling to make the playoffs, that Ethier would have continued to play every day. He had been playing hurt at less than 100% for quite a while anyway, so I feel that a possible spot in the postseason would have emboldened him to continue "fighting the good fight" and put off the surgery until after the season.

+1

He played with the injury long enough, what's another 8 weeks? (Considering they went allllll the way.)
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you