Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike D's 1990 TTM Auto Project

Mike D's 1990 TTM Auto Project

With the completion of the send-out portion of the 1988 Donruss Rookies TTM Project, it's time to start another project up.

We're going with something a little different this time around, working with 4 different small 1990 sets that I recently acquired. I'll break the cards up by team and work through each team to see who signs and will get requests.

A while back I did a 1990 Fleer Update TTM Project, so there may be some duplication in the send-outs from that, but I think the sets are a good enough mix that I should get plenty of players who didn't appear in the Fleer set.

Without futher ado, the 4 sets I'll be working with for this project are:

1990 Donruss Rookies (56 cards)
    1990 Score Rising Stars (100 cards)
    1990 Topps Major League Debut (152 cards)
    1990 Topps Traded (132 cards)

That's 438 total cards, which should take a while, but should be fun to work through.

I'll work through the teams in alphabetical order, which means we'll start with the Atlanta Braves. Hope you find this project enjoyable...hopefully we'll see a decent number of good signers and a lot of successes!
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

Before we dive in, a quick look at the four sets we'll be working with.

The 1990 Donruss Rookies set contains 56 cards of rookies from the 1990 season. It lists in Beckett for whopping $2, with no cards listed in Beckett, meaning they all have a "book value" of under 50 cents.

The 1990 Score Rising Stars set was released in complete set form by Score in 1990, and contains a mix of rookies and exciting young players. The set contains 100 cards. Beckett lists five cards from the set with values of $1 or more: Ken Griffey Jr ($2), Sammy Sosa ($3), John Olerud ($1), Randy Johnson ($1.50), and Curt Schilling ($2).

The 1990 Topps Major League Debut set is a monster at 152 cards. It's an interesting idea for a set...featuring cards of players who made their big league debut in 1989. That leads to some stars, but also a lot of short-timers. The set contains many players only cards because of this. The set lists in Beckett for $15, with the key cards being Juan Gonzalez ($2.50), Ken Griffey Jr. ($5), David Justice ($1), John Olerud ($1), Sammy Sosa ($4), and Larry Walker ($2.50).

The 1990 Topps Traded set contains 132 cards and is a mix of rookies and players who changed teams either via trade or free agent signings. Beckett lists the set at $3, with cards of David Justice and John Olerud listed at 50 cents each.
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.

First Team: Atlanta Braves

The first team we'll look at is the Atlanta Braves. The sets contain a total of 32 Braves cards, with 20 unique players.

First, let's take a look at the Braves cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

7. Mike Stanton (Front) (Back)
    14. Dave Justice (Front) (Back)
    42. Steve Avery (Front) (Back)
    43. Mark Lemke (Front) (Back)
    46. Greg Olson (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

19. Derek Lilliquist (Front) (Back)
    29. Mike stanton (Front) (Back)
    36. Geronimo Berroa (Front) (Back)
    44. Jeff Wetherby (Front) (Back)
    56. Kelly Mann (Front) (Back)
    78. Ed Whited (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Major League Debut

17. Geronimo Berroa (Front) (Back)
    30. Drew Denson (Front) (Back)
    45. Tommy Greene (Front) (Back)
    65. Dave Justice (Front) (Back)
    70. Derek Lilliquist (Front) (Back)
    76. Kelly Mann (Front) (Back)
    81. Kent Mercker (Front) (Back)
    93. Greg Olson (Front) (Back)
    99. Rusty Richards (Front) (Back)
    122. Mike Stanton (Front) (Back)
    138. Jeff Wetherby (Front) (Back)
    140. Ed Whited (Front) (Back)

Olson actually appears as a member of the Twins in this set, but I included him here.

1990 Topps Traded

4. Steve Avery (Front) (Back)
    23T. Bobby Cox (Front) (Back)
    30T. Nick Esasky (Front) (Back)
    40T. Joe Hesketh (Front) (Back)
    48T. Dave Justice (Front) (Back)
    60T. Charlie Leibrandt (Front) (Back)
    84T. Greg Olson (Front) (Back)
    98T. Jim Presley (Front) (Back)
    128T. Ernie Whitt (Front) (Back)

Let's take a closer look at the players and their signing habits:

Steve Avery - 29% success rate on SCN. Seems he occassionally still signs, but it's very hit or miss. We'll skip him for now.

Geronimo Berroa - SCN has no successes for him in 9 attempts. We'll skip him.

Bobby Cox - SCN has Cox with only a 15% success rate, and nothing recent. We won't bother.

Drew Denson - SCN has only one success for him, ever, and that was way back in 2008. Slow start to the Braves!

Nick Esasky - SCN has him at 51%, buth with no successes since the middle of 2009.

Tommy Greene - Here we go. Greene has a 90% success rate on SCN and recent successes. He'll be our first request for this project!

Joe Hesketh - SCN has him with only a 34% success rate and no successes since early 2009.

Dave Justice - With only a 17% success rate on SCN and no successes since early 2008, Justice doesn't look like a good bet. We'll skip him.

Charlie Leibrandt - SCN has him with no successes since 2003.

Mark Lemke - A 52% success rate, but no successes since 2008.

Derek Lilliquist - A 52% success rate and no successes since late 2010. Looks like he's stopped signing.

Kelly Mann - SCN has no successes for him in 11 attempts. We won't make it 12.

Kent Merker - With only a 25% success rate, does not appear to be a good signer.

Greg Olson - Olson appears to be a great signer, with a 96% success rate on SCN and a bunch of request successes. We'll give him a shot with the 90 TT, 90 TD, and 90 DR cards.

Jim Presley - with a 4% success rate and no successes since 2005, Presley is not a good signer.

Rusty Richards - Only a 71% success rate, and no requests in about a year, but I think I may give him a try, as all his recent attempts have been successes.

Mike Stanton - With a 33% success rate, Stanton does not appear to be a reliable signer.

Jeff Wetherby - Has a 68% success rate on SCN, but appears to have stopped signing as he has no successes since early in 2009.

Ed Whited - SCN has no successes for Whited in 6 total requests.

Ernie Whitt - Has a 91% success rate on SCN, but no requests since May...he appears to have stopped signing.

Well, there we go...our first team is in the book. The Braves didn't give us a great start, with only 3 players out of 20 (15%) being good signers, with 5 of 31 total cards going out in requests.

Total Cards: 32
    Total Requests: 3
    Total Cards Sent: 5
    Successes: 0
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-16-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Baltimore Orioles

The Baltimore Orioles are the next team we'll look at. There are a total of 20 Orioles cards in the sets, representing a total of 16 players.

Let's take a look at the O's cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

30. Ben McDonald (Front)(Back)
    39. Marty Brown (Front)(Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

21. Craig Worthington (Front)(Back)
    32. Gregg Olson (Front)(Back)
    43. Dave Johnson (Front)(Back)
    58. Steve Finley (Front)(Back)
    68. Bob Milacki (Front)(Back)
    76. Pete Harnish (Front)(Back)
    90. Mike Devereaux (Front)(Back)
    93. Ben McDonald (Front)(Back)
    94. Curt Schilling (Front)(Back)

13. Juan Bell (Front)(Back)
    37. Steve Finley (Front)(Back)
    60. Chris Hoiles (Front)(Back)
    78. Ben McDonald (Front)(Back)
    118. Mike Smith (Front)(Back)
    137. Mickey Weston (Front)(Back)

1990 Topps Traded

42T. Sam Horn (Front) (Back)
    53T. Brad Komminsk (Front) (Back)
    70T. Ben McDonald (Front) (Back)

Juan Bell - SCN has no requests, EVER, for Bell. I assume he lives outside the US. We'll skip George's little brother.

Marty Brown - 41% success rate on SCN, so we'll skip him for now.

Mike Devereaux - SCN has only a 27% success rate for Devereux, with no successes since mid 2010. We'll skip him.

Steve Finley - A 32% success rate on SCN, with no successes since early 2010. Another one to skip.

Pete Harnisch - Only a 65% success rate, but a good number of recent successes. We'll give him a shot.

Chris Hoiles - SCN has him at 41%, with no successes since 2009. We'll skip him.

Sam Horn - SCN has him at 54%, but no successes since mid 2010. That's actually higher than I expected, as I remember the former Red Sox as not being a good TTM signer. We'll pass on him.

Dave Johnson - 98% success rate with some fairly recent successes. We'll give him a shot!

Brad Komminsk - 88% success rate on sCN with some recent successes, so we'll give him a try.

Ben McDonald - A 69% success rate, but no successessince late in 2010. Appears to have stopped signing.

Bob Milacki - 87% success rate on SCN, with recent successes. We'll give him a shot.

Gregg Olson - 97% success rate on SCN, so he'll get a request sent his way.

Curt Schilling - Appears to sign for a $20 donation to his charity. I may take him up on that at some point, but I'll use a Red Sox card, so we'll skip him for now.

Mike Smith - SCN has only one request for him, ever, and no successes. We'll skip him.

Mickey Weston - 81% success rate on SCN, with a couple requests around the beginning of the year, then two from this spring unfullfilled. What the heck, we'll give him a shot!

Craig Worthington - Another guy who appears to have stopped signed. 81% success rate on SCN, but only one success since 2005.

The Orioles gave us a solid showing, with 6 send outs among the 16 total players in the lot (37.5%). We'll send 6 out of the 20 total O's cards out in requests (30%). Not bad when you consider that there are 4 cards of non-signer Ben McDonald in the lot.

Total Cards: 52
    Total Requests: 9
    Total Cards Sent: 11
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-16-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Added links to the 1990 Topps Traded cards. We'll hit the Boston Red Sox on Monday!

Boston Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox are the next team we'll look at. There are a total of 12 Red Sox cards in the sets, representing a total of 9 players.

Let's take a look at the Red Sox cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

28. Dana Kiecker (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

23. Eric Hetzel (Front) (Back)
    49. Carlos Quintana (Front) (Back)

56. Eric Hetzel (Front) (Back)
    144. Dana Williams (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

15T. Tom Bruanansky (Front) (Back)
    50T. Dana Kiecker (Front) (Back)
    69T. John Marzano (Front) (Back)
    79T. Tim Naehring (Front) (Back)
    90T. Tony Pena (Front) (Back)
    101T. Jeff Reardon (Front) (Back)
    105T. Kevin Romine (Front) (Back)

Dana Kiecker - Asks for $1 per autograph donation to his scholarship fund. Sure sounds reasonable to me, so I'll send him a request.

Eric Hetzel - SCN has no successes for Hetze, ever (9 attempts). I'll pass on him.

Carlos Quintana - SCN has no requests for Quintana, so I'm guessing he lives in his native Venezuela.

Dana Williams - SCN has only one success for him, ever (in 5 attempts) and it's from back in 2003. We'll pass.

Tom Brunansky- Brunansky is a good signer, with a 94% success rate on SCN, so we'll send a request his way.

John Marzano - Mr. Marzano passed away in 2008. RIP.

Tim Naehring - Used to be a solid signer, it appears. Seems to have stopped signed at the end of 2010, though. Bummer.

Tony Pena - Has only a 22% success rate on sCN, so we'll skip him.

Jeff Reardon - 80% success rate on SCN, with recent successes, so we'll give him a shot.

Kevin Romine - Only a 29% success rate on SCN, so we'll skip him.

We end up sending to 3 Red Sox out of 9 total players (33%) in the set. We'll end up sending 4 cards out of 12 cards in the set (33%). Not bad for a team that's not known for being very good signers.

Total Cards: 64
    Total Requests: 12
    Total Cards Sent: 15

California Angels

The California Angels are the next team we'll look at. There are a total of 15 Angels cards in the sets, representing a total of 11 players.

Let's take a look at the Angels cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

54. John Orton (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

5. Jim Abbott (Front) (Back)
    64. John Orton (Front) (Back)
    86. Kent Anderson (Front) (Back)

1. Jim Abbott (Front) (Back)
    4. Kent Anderson (Front) (Back)
    19. Brian Brady (Front) (Back)
    31. Gary DiSarcina (Front) (Back)
    36. Mike Fetters (Front) (Back)
    94. John Orton (Front) (Back)
    106. Bobby Rose (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

28T. Mark Eichhorn (Front) (Back)
    54T. Mark Langston (Front) (Back)
    97T. Luis Polonia (Front) (Back)
    130T. Dave Winfield (Front) (Back)

Let's look at the signing habits of the players:

Jim Abbott - Has only a 34% success rate and has never been much of a signer. We'll skip him.

Kent Anderson - Has an 85% success rate on SCN and some recent successes, so we'll give him a try with both the Topps Debut and Score Rising Stars cards.

Brian Brady - Only one success on SCN in 5 attempts. We'll pass on him.

Gary DiSarcina - 95% success rate. We'll send him a request.

Mark Eichhorn - A good signer. In fact, we sent this card out when we sent to him when we sent his 1986 Donruss Rookies card, and it already came back signed. (SCAN)

Mike Fetters - 45% success rate and no successes since 2003. We'll pass.

Mark Langston - Only a 5% success rate and no successes since 2004.

John Orton - 95% success rate. We'll send him the Donruss Rookies, Score Rising Stars, and Topps Debut cards!

Luis Polonia - No requests ever on SCN. Guessing he lives outside the US.

Bobby Rose - 73% success rate with some recent successes. We'll give him a shot.

Dave Winfield - 25% success rate on SCN. Used to be a solid signer, but appears to have stopped signing.

We end up sending to 5 Angels out of 11 total players (45%) in the set. We'll end up sending 8 cards out of 15 cards in the set (53%). Pretty good showing for the Angels!

Total Cards: 79
    Total Requests: 17
    Total Cards Sent: 23
    Successes: 1
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Chicago White Sox

The Chicago White Sox are the next team. There are a total of 21 White Sox cards in the sets, representing a total of 15 players.

Let's take a look at the White Sox cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

9. Craig Grebeck (Front) (Back)
    15. Robin Ventura (Front) (Back)
    17. Wayne Edwards (Front) (Back)
    25. Jeff Kutzler (Front) (Back)
    40. Scott Radinsky (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

7. Donn Pall (Front) (Back)
    57. Tom McCarthy (Front) (Back)
    35. Sammy Sosa (Front) (Back)
    70. Carlos Martinez (Front) (Back)
    77. Greg Hibbard (Front) (Back)
    89. Ken Patterson (Front) (Back)
    96. Robin ventura (Front) (Back)

34. Wayne Edwards (Front) (Back)
    51. Jack Hardy (Front) (Back)
    57. Greg Hibbard (Front) (Back)
    82. Matt Merullo (Front) (Back)
    109. Jeff Schaefer (Front) (Back)
    129. Robin Ventura (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

27T. Wayne Edwards (Front) (Back)
    71T. Jack McDowell (Front) (Back)
    99T. Scott Radinsky (Front) (Back)

Let's look at the signing habits of the players:

Wayne Edwards - SCN has him as only 3 successes in 9 attempts, so we'll pass.

Craig Grebeck - Has a 79% success rate on SCN, but no successes since 2007. I guess he's stopped signing.

Jack Hardy - 73% success rate. Not many attempts (2 in 2011, 1 in 2010) but all recent attempts have been successes, so we'll give him a shot. The 1990 Topps Major League Debut card is his only major league card, which might be the reason for very few requests.

Greg Hibbard - Only a 26% success rate, so we'll pass.

Jerry Kutlzer - 97% success rate with recent successes, so we'll send along the Donruss Rookies card to him.

Carlos Martinez - Mr. Martinez is deceased. RIP.

Tom McCarthy - SCN has no successes from him in 9 attempts. We'll skip him.

Jack McDowell - 72% success rate on SCN, but appears to have stopped signing around the end of 2009. Used to be a good signer. Too bad.

Matt Merullo - 97% success rate on SCN, with recent successes. We'll give him a shot!

Donn Pall - 90% success rate and recent successes, so we'll give him a try.

Ken Patterson - 67% success rate on SCN, but it's been a while since returns appear steadily from him. We'll pass on him for now.

Scott Radinsky - 52% success rate, but no successes since early 2010, so we'll skip him.

Jeff Schaefer - 33% success rate and no successes since 2008. We'll pass.

Sammy Sosa - Only a 5% success rate on SCN. We'll pass.

Robin Ventura - 40% success rate with the last success being in early 2009. Looks like a bad bet, so we'll skip him.

We end up sending to 4 White Sox out of 15 total players (27%) in the set. We'll end up sending 4 cards out of 21 cards in the set (19%). Not a great showing, but hopefully those four will come back signed.

Total Cards: 100
    Total Requests: 21
    Total Cards Sent: 27
    Successes: 1
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-26-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Had successes from:

Greg Olson (Donruss Rookies #46) (Topps Major League Debut # 93) (1990 Topps #84T)

Dave Johnson (1990 Score Rising Stars #43)

Total Cards: 100
    Total Requests: 21
    Total Cards Sent: 27
    Successes: 3
    Total Cards Signed: 5
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-26-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Chicago Cubs

The Chicago Cubs are the next team. There are a total of 17 Cubs cards in the sets, representing a total of 11 players.

Let's take a look at the Cubbies cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

10. Joe Kraemer (Front) (Back)
    18. Shawn Boskie (Front) (Back)
    22. Mike Harkey (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Exciting Stars

2. Jerome Walton (Front) (Back)
    4. Dwight Smith (Front) (Back)
    33. Joe Girardi (Front) (Back)
    73. Rick Wrona (Front) (Back)

42. Joe Girardi (Front) (Back)
    68. Joe Kraemer (Front) (Back)
    116. Dwight Smith (Front) (Back)
    117. Greg Smith (Front) (Back)
    123. Phil Stephenson (Front) (Back)
    134. Jerome Walton (Front) (Back)
    143. Dean Wilkins (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

10T. Shawn Boskie (Front) (Back)
    36T. Mike Harkey (Front) (Back)
    126T. Hector Villanueva (Front) (Back)

Shawn Boskie - 95% success rate on SCN with recent successes, so we'll give him a try with both the Donruss Rookies and Topps Traded cards.

Joe Girardi - Does not appear to be a good signer either c/o Yankees or via home address. We'll skip him.

Mike Harkey - 40% success rate with no successes since early 2010. We won't send him a request.

Joe Kraemer - 52% success rate on SCN, and appears to not be a very consistent signer at all. We'll pass.

Dwight Smith - Only a 17% success rate on SCN, and no successes since 2006.

Greg Smith - 90% success rate and recent successes. We'll give him a shot!

Phil Stephenson - 33% success rate and no successes since 2008. We'll pass.

Hector Villanueva - No successes on SCN in only one request. I'm guessing he doesn't live in the US.

Jerome Walton - 24% success rate with no successes since 2008. We'll skip him.

Dean Wilkins - 22% success rate with no successes since 2008. We'll pass on him, too.

Rick Wrona - 84% success rate with recent successes. We'll give him a try.

We end up sending to 3 White Sox out of 11 total players (27%) in the set. We'll end up sending 4 cards out of 17 cards in the set (24%). Not great, but at least there seems to be a few good signers in there.

Total Cards: 117
    Total Requests: 24
    Total Cards Sent: 31
    Successes: 3
    Total Cards Signed: 5
    Last edited by Mike D.; 09-26-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Had a success from:

Gregg Olson (1990 Score Rising Stars #32)

Successes: 4
    Total Cards Signed: 6

Had a success from Pete Harnisch today, but he didn't return the 1990 Score Rising Star card I sent as part of this project. Oh well!

Had a success from Jeff Reardon (1990 Topps Traded #101T).

Successes: 6
    Total Cards Signed: 7

Cincinatti Reds

The Cincinatti Reds are the next team. There are a total of 15 Reds cards in the sets, representing a total of 12 players.

Let's take a look at the Reds cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

23. Tim Layana (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

26. Joe Oliver (Front) (Back)
    65. Scott Scudder (Front) (Back)
    92. Rolando Roomes (Front) (Back)

91. Joe Oliver (Front) (Back)
    100. Jeff Richardson (Front) (Back)
    103. Rosario Rodriguez (Front) (Back)
    104. Mike Roesler (Front) (Back)
    113. Scott Scudder (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

13T. Glenn Braggs (Front) (Back)
    38T. Billy Hatcher (Front) (Back)
    55T. Tim Layana (Front) (Back)
    76T. Hal Morris (Front) (Back)
    78T. Randy Myers (Front) (Back)
    96T. Lou Piniella (Front) (Back)

Glenn Braggs - SCN has zero successes for him in 18 attempts. We'll pass.

Billy Hatcher - 53% success rate and no successes since March. I'll skip him for now.

Tim Layana - Mr. Layana is deceased. RIP.

Hal Morris - 80% success rate on SCN, although seems a bit hit or miss. We'll give him a shot, though.

Randy Myers - Only a 6% success rate and no successes since 2006 on SCN. We'll skip him.

Joe Oliver - 90% success rate on SCN, with recent successes. We'll try him with both the Score Rising Stars and Topps Debut cards.

Lou Pinella - Only a 20% success rate on SCN. We'll skip Sweet Lou.

Jeff Richardson - 86% success rate, although not a ton of requests. We'll give him a go, though.

Rosario Rodriguez - No successes in only one attempt. I'm guessing he lives outside the US (perhaps in his native Mexico).

Mike Roesler - Only a 25% success rate, with no successes since 2006. We'll pass on him.

Rolando Roomes - No successes in 10 attempts on SCN. We'll skip him.

Scott Scudder - 81% success rate, and some fairly recent successes, so I'll give him a try with both the Score Rising Stars and Topps Debut cards.

We end up sending requests to 4 of the 12 Reds players in the sets (33%). We end up sending 6 of the 15 total cards (40%).

Total Cards: 132
    Total Requests: 28
    Total Cards Sent: 37

Had recent successes from:

Dana Kiecker (1990 Topps Traded #50T) (1990 Donruss Rookies #28)

Russell Richards (1990 Topps Major League Debut #99)

Tom Brunansky (1990 Topps Traded #15T)

Successes: 9
    Total Cards Signed: 11

Had a success from:

Jack Hardy (1990 Topps Major League Debut #51)

Successes: 10
    Total Cards Signed: 12

Cleveland Indians

The Cleveland Indians are the next team. There are a total of 22 Indians cards in the sets, representing a total of 18 players.

Let's take a look at the Indians cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

1. Sandy Alomar Jr. (Front) (Back)
    19. Carlos Baerga (Front) (Back)
    36. Kevin Wickander (Front) (Back)
    53. Jeff Shaw (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

9. Joey Belle (Front) (Back)

2. Beau Allred (Front) (Back)
    14. Joey Belle (Front) (Back)
    27. Pete Dalena (Front) (Back)
    58. Mark Higgins (Front) (Back)
    75. Tom Magrann (Front) (Back)
    90. Steve Olin (Front) (Back)
    114. Rudy Seazez (Front) (Back)
    115. Joe Skalski (Front) (Back)
    142. Kevin Wickander (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

2T. Sandy Alomar Jr. (Front) (Back)
    6T. Carlos Baerga (Front) (Back)
    39T. Keith Hernandez (Front) (Back)
    46T. Chris James (Front) (Back)
    49T. Jeff Kaiser (Front) (Back)
    65T. Candy Maldonado (Front) (Back)
    72T. John McNamara (Front) (Back)
    127T. Mitch Webster (Front) (Back)

Lets take a look at the player's signing habits:

Beau Allred - 97% success rate on SCN, so we'll give him a shot.

Sandy Alomar Jr. - 55% success rate on SCN, with a very spotty signing history. We'll skip him for now.

Carlos Baerga - Only a 34% success rate and no successes since 2009, so we'll skip him.

Joey Belle - Later changed his name to Albert and tried to run down trick-or-treaters in his car. Not shockingly, SCN has no successes for him.

Pete Delena - 55% success rate with no successes since 2009. We'll pass.

Keith Hernandez - 12% success rate on SCN.

Mark Higgins - 100% success rate on SCN, with successes this year. We'll give him a shot.

Chris James - 76% success rate with recent successes. We'll give him a try.

Jeff Kaiser - 38% success rate on SCN, so we'll skip him.

Candy Maldanado - 61% success rate and no successes this year. We won't send him a request.

Tom Magrann - 66% success rate, with a request at the end of 2010. Not great odds, but we'll give him a try.

John McNamara - 75% success rate on SCN, but very few successes since 2005. Guessing he's stopped signing.

Steve Olin - Mr. Olin is deceased. RIP

Rudy Seanez - 35% success rate and no successes since 2007. We'll skip him.

Jeff Shaw - 77% success rate on SCN with a bunch of recent successes. We'll give him a shot.

Joe Skalski - 61% success rate on SCN with spotty history. We'll pass.

Mitch Webster - 44% success rate and no successes since 2006 according to SCN.

Kevin Wickander - 12% success rate and no successes since 2005. We'll skip him.

I'll send 5 requests out of 18 Indians players in the sets (28%). I'll send a total of 5 of the 22 cards (23%).

Total Cards: 154
    Total Requests: 33
    Total Cards Sent: 42
    Last edited by Mike D.; 10-11-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Had a success from:

Jeff Richardson (1990 Topps Major League Debut #100)

Total Cards: 154
    Total Requests: 33
    Total Cards Sent: 42
    Successes: 7
    Total Cards Signed: 8

Detroit Tigers

The Detroit Tigers are the next team. There are a total of 21 Tigers cards in the sets, representing a total of 18 players.

Let's take a look at the Tigers cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

4. Brian DuBois (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Exciting Stars

11. Kevin Ritz (Front) (Back)
    42. Scott Lusader (Front) (Back)
    63. Doug Strange (Front) (Back)
    84. Milt Cuyler (Front) (Back)
    88. Mike Brumley (Front) (Back)
    97. Steve Searcy (Front) (Back)

28. Jeff Datz (Front) (Back)
    32. Brian DuBois (Front) (Back)
    61. Shawn Holman (Front) (Back)
    88. Randy Nosek (Front) (Back)
    96. Ramon Pena (Front) (Back)
    101. Rob Richie (Front) (Back)
    102. Kevin Ritz (Front) (Back)
    111. Mike Schwabe (Front) (Back)
    124. Doug Strange (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

31T. Cecil Fielder (Front) (Back)
    33T. Travis Fryman (Front) (Back)
    77T. Lloyd Moseby (Front) (Back)
    93T. Dan Petry (Front) (Back)
    95T. Tony Phillips (Front) (Back)

Mike Brumley - 56% success rate, seems to have stopped signing in 2010.

Milt Cuyler - Only a 6% success rate on SCN, so we'll pass.

Jeff Datz - 95% success rate on SCN. Not a lot of requests sent his way (I think this is his only MLB card), but we'll send his way.

Brian DuBois - 23% success rate on SCN, with no returns since 2008. We'll pass.

Cecil Fielder - 63% success rate, but no successes since early 2009.

Travis Fryman - Only a 32% success rate on SCN, so we'll skip him.

Shawn Holman - No successes in 3 attempts on SCN. We'll skip him.

Scott Lusader - 19% success rate. We'll pass.

Lloyd Moseby - 9% success rate, with no successes 2005.

Randy Nosek - No successes in 3 attempts on SCn. We'll skip him.

Ramon Pena - No successes in 3 attempts on SCN. We'll skip him.

Dan Petry - 85% success rate. Doesn't seem to be signing via home address, but is c/o Tigers. We'll try him there.

Tony Phillips - Ony a 14% success rate on SCN, so we'll pass on him.

Rob Richie - Also has only a 14% success rate on SCN. We'll skip him, too.

Kevin Ritz - 82% success rate, with some recent successes. He appears to take a LONG time to sign, but I'll give him a shot.

Mike Schwabe - Only one success in 7 attempts on SCN, and that was back in 2006. We'll skip him.

Doug Strange - 36% success rate with no successes since 2005. We'll pass.

Steve Searcy - 94% success rate on SCN, so we'll give him a shot.

I'll send 4 requests out of the 18 Tigers in the sets (22%). I'll end up sending 5 out of the 21 total Tigers cards (24%).

Total Cards: 175
    Total Requests: 37
    Total Cards Sent: 47
    Successes: 7
    Total Cards Signed: 8

Recent Successes:

Chris James (1990 Topps Traded #46T)

Rick Wrona (1990 Score Rising Stars #73)

Mark Higgins (1990 Topps Major League Debut #58)

Jeff Shaw (1990 Donruss Rookies #53)

Beau Allred (1990 Topps Major League Debut #2)

Brad Komminsk (1990 Topps Traded #53T)

Successes: 11
    Total Cards Signed: 14

Had a success from:

Jerry Kutzler (1990 Donruss Rookies #25)

Successes: 12
    Total Cards Signed: 15

Houston Astros

The Houston Astros are the next team. There are a total of 10 Astros cards in the sets, representing a total of 7 players.

Let's take a look at the Astros cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

33. Xavier Hernandez (Front) (Back)
    49. Eric Anthony (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

16. Eric Yelding (Front) (Back)
    45. Eric Anthony (Front) (Back)

5. Eric Anthony (Front) (Back)
    22. Jose Cano (Front) (Back)
    55. Xavier Hernandez* (Front) (Back)
    148. Eric Yelding (Front) (Back)

* - Hernandez appears as a member of the Blue Jays on this card, but we'll include him here.

1990 Topps Traded

17T. Casey Candaele (Front) (Back)
    34T. Bill Gullickson (Front) (Back)
    120T. Franklin Stubbs (Front) (Back)

Eric Anthony - Only one success, ever, on SCN, and it's back in 2007. We'll pass.

Casey Candaele - Only a 51% success rate and spotty history. We'll skip him.

Jose Cano - SCN has no attempts for Robinson's dad, ever. Guessing he lives outside the US.

Bill Gullickson - Only a 17% success rate on SCN, so we'll skip him.

Xavier Hernandez - 92% success rate with recent successes. We'll give him a shot!

Franklin Stubbs - 91% success rate with recent successes. We'll send a request his way.

Eric Yelding - 11% success rate and no successes since 2004, so we'll pass.

I'll end up sending requests to 2 of the 7 Astros (29%). I'll send 3 of the 10 total cards (30%).

Total Cards: 185
    Total Requests: 39
    Total Cards Sent: 50

Kansas City Royals

The Kansas City Royals are the next team. There are a total of 15 Royals cards in the sets, representing a total of 11 players.

Let's take a look at the Royals cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

21. Kevin Appier (Front) (Back)
    55. Terry Shumpert (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

1. Tom Gordon (Front) (Back)
    13. Kevin Appier (Front) (Back)
    47. Matt Winters (Front) (Back)
    95. Jose DeJesus (Front) (Back)
    100. Luis de los Santos (Front) (Back)

6. Kevin Appier (Front) (Back)
    73. Rick Luecken (Front) (Back)
    110. Jeff Schulz (Front) (Back)
    147. Matt Winters (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

24T. Mark Davis (Front) (Back)
    25T. Storm Davis (Front) (Back)
    92T. Gerald Perry (Front) (Back)
    114T. Terry Shumpert (Front) (Back)

Kevin Appier - Only a 61% success rate, and not a lot of recent successes, so we'll skip him.

Mark Davis - 36% success rate on SCN. We'll pass on him.

Storm Davis - 65% success rate, but recent successes are very sparse. I guess he has stopped signing.

Jose DeJesus - 36% success rate on SCN, so we'll pass for now.

Luis de Los Santos - No successes on SCN in only 1 attempt. I'm guessing he doesn't live in the US.

Tom Gordon - 29% success rate on SCN with no successes since 2007. We'll skip him.

Rick Luecken - 96% success rate on SCN, so we'll give him a try!

Jeff Schulz - 30% success rate with no successes since 2006, so we'll skip him.

Gerald Perry - No successes on SCN for Perry, ever.

Terry Shumpert - Only a 5% success rate on SCN with no successes since 2004.

Matt Winters - 36% success rate on SCN with no successes since 2009. We'll skip him.

Not a great showing from the Royals...we end up sending only 1 of the 11 (9%) Royals in the set, and only 1 of the 15 (7%) total cards.

Total Cards: 200
    Total Requests: 40
    Total Cards Sent: 51

Los Angeles Dodgers

The Los Angeles Dodgers are the next team. There are a total of 16 Dodgers cards in the sets, representing a total of 13 players.

Let's take a look at the Dodgers cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

8. Mike Munoz (Front) (Back)
    34. Mike Hartley (Front) (Back)
    37. Carlos Hernandez (Front) (Back)
    38. Brian Traxler (Front) (Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

25. John Wetteland (Front) (Back)
    59. Ramon Martinez (Front) (Back)
    83. Lenny Harris (Front) (Back)

38. Darrin Fletcher (Front) (Back)
    53. Mike Hartley (Front) (Back)
    63. Mike Huff (Front) (Back)
    85. Mike Munoz (Front) (Back)
    131. Jose Vizcaino (Front) (Back)
    139. John Wetteland (Front) (Back)

1990 Topps Traded

14T. Hubie Brooks (Front) (Back)
    47T. Stan Javier (Front) (Back)
    109T. Juan Samuel (Front) (Back)

Hubie Brooks - 16% success rate on SCN, so we'll skip him.

Darrin Fletcher - 71% success rate, with only 7 total requests. I think I'll give him a try.

Lenny Harris - 31% success rate and no successes since 2008, so we'll pass.

Mike Hartley - 52% success rate with no successes this year, so we'll skip him.

Carlos Hernandez - 53% success rate with no successes since 2009. We'll pass.

Mike Huff - 73% success rate with a few recent successes, so we'll give him a try.

Stan Javier - 65% success rate with a few recent successes c/o the MLBPA, so I'll try him there.

Ramon Martinez - SCN has only one success for him, ever, and it was in 1997.

Mike Munoz - 93% success rate with recent successes. We'll send him a request.

Juan Samuel - 90% success rate with recent successes, so we'll try him, as well.

Brian Traxler - Mr. Traxler is deceased. RIP.

Jose Viscaino - 50% success rate on SCN. We'll skip him.

John Wetteland - 9% success rate on SCN, with no successes since 2006, so we'll pass.

we'll end up sending requests to 5 of the 13 Dodgers in the set (38%). We'll send 6 of the 16 total cards (38%). That's a pretty good showing, although a couple of the guys we're sending to here aren't slam dunks.

Total Cards: 216
    Total Requests: 45
    Total Cards Sent: 57

Had a success from:

Gary DiSarcina (1990 Topps Major League Debut #31)

Total Cards: 216
    Total Requests: 45
    Total Cards Sent: 57
    Successes: 13
    Total Cards Signed: 16

Milwaukee Brewers

The Milwaukee Brewers are the next team. There are a total of 18 Brewers cards in the sets, representing a total of 13 players.

Let's take a look at the Brewers cards in each set:

1990 Donruss Rookies

16. Greg Vaughn (Front)(Back)

1990 Score Rising Stars

20. Gary Sheffield (Front)(Back)
    30. Greg Vaughn (Front)(Back)
    55. Bill Spiers (Front)(Back)
    80. Billy Bates (Front)(Back)

9. Billy Bates (Front)(Back)
    21. George Canale (Front)(Back)
    39. LaVel Freeman (Front)(Back)
    87. Jamie Navarro (Front)(Back)
    97. Jeff Paterek (Front)(Back)
    121. Billy Spiers (Front)(Back)
    128. Greg Vaughn (Front)(Back)
    130. Randy Veres (Front)(Back)

1990 Topps Traded

26T. Edgar Diaz (Front)(Back)
    35T. Darryl Hamilton (Front)(Back)
    86T. Dave Parker (Front)(Back)
    104T. Ron Robinson (Front)(Back)
    125T. Randy Veres (Front)(Back)

Billy Bates - Only one success on SCN (6 total attempts) and it's from 2005, so we'll pass.

George Candale - Only one success on SCN (12 total attempts) and it's from 2002, so we'll pass.

Edgar Diaz - No attempts on SCN. I imagine he lives outside the US.

LaVel Freeman - 33% success rate with no successes since 2009. We'll skip him.

Darryl Hamilton - 73% success rate, but appears to have stopped signing in March.

Jamie Navarro - 88% success rate with some fairly recent successes. Looks like he takes a while, but we'll give him a shot.

Dave Parker - Charges a $20 per card fee to sign. That's a bit rich for my blood, so I'll pass.

Jeff Peterek - 45% success rate on SCN, with a very hit-or-miss history. We'll skip him.

Ron Robinson - 72% success rate, but no successes since 2009.

Gary Sheffield - 5% success rate on SCN. We'll pass.

Billy Spiers - 93% success rate with recent successes, so we'll give him a try.

Greg Vaughn - 37% success rate with no successes since 2008. We'll skip him.

Randy Veres - 35% success rate with no successes since late 2009. We'll skip him, as well.

We'll send requests to 2 of the 13 players in the sets (15%). We'll send 3 of the 18 total cards (17%).

Total Cards: 234
    Total Requests: 47
    Total Cards Sent: 60
    Successes: 13
    Total Cards Signed: 16

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast