Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Official 2011/2012 Mets Off-Season Thread.

Doesn't really have to do with current matters, but I thought this was kind of interesting and weird...did you guys know that former Mets' minor leaguer Mark Guerra was arrested for grand theft in 2005? Here is the link: http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/05/St..._of_rape.shtml
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 02-08-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Joey Votto, Jered Weaver and Tim Lincecum! 50 card rookie lot! Autos of Chad Huffman and Greg Reynolds! Tom Glavine insert!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Does really have to do with current matters, but I thought this was kind of interesting and weird...did you guys know that former Mets' minor leaguer Mark Guerra was arrested for grand theft in 2005? Here is the link: http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/05/St..._of_rape.shtml
    Guerra getting paid to play as a ringer for the prison softball team is small beer compared to the rest of the stuff going on there:

Guard accused of rape found dead in truck at North Florida prison

Facing a rape investigation, he had been fired from the North Florida facility on Monday.

By LUCY MORGAN
    Published October 5, 2005

TALLAHASSEE - A state prison guard facing rape accusations was found dead at a North Florida prison Tuesday, and a phantom prison employee was arrested for stealing the salary he was paid to play in a prison softball tournament.

These are the latest developments in an escalating series of state and federal investigations into wrongdoing at Florida prisons.

Capt. Keith Davison, 39, was found dead in his Dodge pickup truck at a landfill at Union Correctional Institution, a prison not far from where he worked at New River Correctional Institution.

Davison was fired Monday by New River warden Michael McRae after he admitted using a visitors suite at nearby Florida State Prison's bachelor officer quarters for an unauthorized party.

"You also engaged in inappropriate behavior with a subordinate employee while at this location," the warden noted in a letter firing Davison for conduct unbecoming a public employee. The letter was released Tuesday by state corrections officials.

Bradford County sheriff's Lt. W.H. "Bear" Bryan confirmed that his department was investigating the alleged rape of another guard but would not discuss details of the death investigation being handled by neighboring Union County.

Officials in Union County said Davison died of a gunshot wound to the head, an apparent suicide. Davison reportedly had a wife and two children.

Corrections Secretary James V. Crosby Jr. confirmed the death in a written statement.

"I am deeply saddened by the news of Capt. Davison's death," Crosby said. "On behalf of the entire department, our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends during this very difficult time."

Davison was hired Sept. 22, 1989, and most recently worked at New River, which is across the highway from Florida State Prison.

Meanwhile, agents from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement arrested Mark Michael Guerra, 33, in Sneads, a Jackson County community in the Florida Panhandle.

Charged with grand theft, Guerra is accused of accepting $1,247 as payment for a library assistant's job at Apalachee Correctional Institution when all he actually did was play softball on the prison team during the Secretary's 24th Annual Tournament in Jacksonville in May.

The Apalachee team won the tournament with Guerra's help, according to an FDLE affidavit. Crosby attended the three-day tournament, according to his official calendar, which was obtained by the St. Petersburg Times.

Investigators said Guerra, the husband of another prison employee, was hired with the knowledge of Col. Richard Frye and Col. Winfred Warren, officers at the prison who also coach the softball team.

Guerra told investigators he had played minor league baseball and played for a team in Venezuela for about five years.

An employee who supervised the prison library where Guerra was supposed to be working told investigators she never met him or saw him at work but filled out his time sheets because she feared she would lose her job if she didn't cooperate with Frye.

Guerra was paid May 13 and May 27 for four weeks work.

Mike Hanna, chief of staff at the Department of Corrections, said the agency is working closely with the FDLE on the investigation.

"This kind of behavior is unacceptable and will not be condoned," Hanna said.

Hanna said he does not know whether any others were hired to play softball.

State investigators have also looked into another incident involving the prison softball teams and Col. Frye. In that incident, witnesses said, Frye helped Allen Clark, supervisor of 18 North Florida prisons, beat up the husband of a corrections major who slipped and fell during a softball party at the National Guard Armory in Tallahassee.

Clark, a longtime protege of Crosby's, resigned Aug. 30 for personal reasons. State investigators recently seized a Jeep and several trailers owned by Clark after serving a search warrant in connection with an investigation into the alleged misuse of prison funds and property.

Federal officials are investigating reports of steroid trafficking and use among prison guards at New River during a time when Clark served as warden at the prison. Some of the guards allegedly using steroids also played for prison softball teams.

Four former prison guards have pleaded guilty to steroid trafficking after thousands of tablets were seized by federal authorities as they arrived at post offices near the prisons in Bradford, Union and Clay counties.

A fifth guard faces trial in November.

Not sure if these guys were bad apples. Some were high ranking. Down there the problems seemed pervasive.

Was talking to a former guard the other day. He tells me the system is a mess in a bunch of different ways.

Makes the Wilpons' wrongdoing seem aristocratic by comparison.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Here's another one to liven up this thread as the Mets wind down their current offseason business:

Joe Petcka, who pitched in the Mets' organization from 1992 to 1995 (and who later became an actor) was arrested and charged with animal abuse in 2008.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,425942,00.html
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Joey Votto, Jered Weaver and Tim Lincecum! 50 card rookie lot! Autos of Chad Huffman and Greg Reynolds! Tom Glavine insert!

My website...
    My other website...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Here's another one to liven up this thread as the Mets wind down their current offseason business:

Joe Petcka, who pitched in the Mets' organization from 1992 to 1995 (and who later became an actor) was arrested and charged with animal abuse in 2008.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,425942,00.html
    If your girlfriend has a cat it's good politics to be friends with it. Some catnip probably would have done the trick. Murdering it's usually a mistake. Oh, well...

The Mets probably aren't going to make any more moves of note this off-season. They arguably haven't made any the last three off-seasons. I find these news stories interesting. Between them and the Wilpon situation the Mets forum is beginning to feel like a police blotter. It got me wondering what ever happened to Ambroix Burgos. Somehow he's out of jail again and had signed to play winter ball in Venezuela:

http://www.spanglishbaseball.com/201...organized.html

Last I heard he'd been arrested for kidnapping and poisoning his ex-wife. I'd figured he'd be in jail or something. Anyone know how he did in winter ball?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Article on Jason Bay in the Daily News:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1020983
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

What do you think of signing a deal with lefty Mike Gonzalez? He is a free agent and he is client of Scott Boras but since he hasn't signed a deal at this point, he might get a discount. Gonzalez might be a good fit with the Mets bullpen as an extra lefty to back up Tim Byrdak. Gonzalez is 33 years old and will turn 34 in May. He pitched for the Orioles and Rangers in 2011.

He had a torn meniscus in his left knee in late October but had surgery and expects to be ready by spring training.

Gonzalez in 2011 against lefties: .214/.264/.311/.574
    Byrdak in 2011 against lefties: .222/.271/.333/.604

He had a 1.35 WHIP with 8.6K/9 and 1.2 HR/9 last season for Baltimore and Texas. I predict he could reduce those HR totals if moved to Citi Field and against various National League teams; his totals were less when he was with the Braves. He has a 2.45 ERA and a 1.091 WHIP as his career numbers at Citi Field. He is 2-1 with a 1.99 ERA with a 1.279 WHIP against the Phillies and 0-3 with a 1.96 ERA and 1.145 WHIP against the Marlins. He also has good numbers against the Giants, Brewers, Astros and Diamondbacks. He has a .256 BABIP and .562 OPS with runners in scoring position. (RISP)

Gonzalez is from Texas.

Blog Entries
    Gonzalez is a decent pitcher, that would be a good addition to any bullpen, however, it is very hard to get amped up about making roster moves involving veteran players for a team with the Mets trajectory. I think the right idea is to load up the farm system and pray for new ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Gonzalez is a decent pitcher, that would be a good addition to any bullpen, however, it is very hard to get amped up about making roster moves involving veteran players for a team with the Mets trajectory. I think the right idea is to load up the farm system and pray for new ownership.
    Okey-dokey.

Last edited by Blue387; 02-14-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Okey-dokey.
    Sorry I didn't mean to come off as "get of fmy proch you dratted kids" but I guess I did. At least you are taking the time to post baseball related info.

I am thinking of going to spring training this year for the first time. What advice would you give me?

Blog Entries
    I am thinking of going to spring training this year for the first time. What advice would you give me?
    Head south.
    Put it in the books.

Blog Entries
    I went last year and will be going again this year. I enjoyed watching workouts more than the actual games. You can get to the park at 9am and pretty much have run of the facility for free. They have numerous practice fields and work on different things on different fields. Players literally have to walk right past you on a small walkway to get to the field they have to be at. I enjoyed a intersquad game last year in the back of the facility between AA players. They have high school field like benches set up where you can watch the games. A bunch of players (all minor leaguers) also sat on the benches with the fans and watched the games. One young player sat next to my 8 year old son and went over fundamentals and what each fielder/hitter should be thinking about as the game was being played. It was really laid back and it was a great time. My son got over a dozen balls and loads of pictures and autographs. There are decent affordable Marriots/Hiltons nearby. I think spending a few mornings watching the players workout and the way Collins ran the program last year will give you an appreciation for just how hard the players work.

Carlos Beltran fixes Jon Niese's nose:
    http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...eling-lighter/

Big news out of mets camp, Jon Neise got a nose job. Other teams improve their rosters, our team improves their looks.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Big news out of mets camp, Jon Neise got a nose job. Other teams improve their rosters, our team improves their looks.
    I'm going to miss that ol' beak of his.

My website...
    My other website...

Should the Mets wear a shoulder patch for Gary Carter for the 2012 season? The team wore a shoulder patch for the deaths of William Shea and Bob Murphy years ago.

Scroll down to "Memorial Logos" for some past patches:
    http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=67

Jason Isringhausen signed with the Angels.

My website...
    My other website...

Which team had the worst off-season in the majors? According to Jon Heyman, your New York Mets:

30. Mets. They lost the heart of the team (though an of-injured one), and Andres Torres wouldn't be my first choice to replace the dynamic Reyes. Actually, Pagan would have been better. But that's nitpicky. Let's face it, no one that cuts an unprecedented $50 million can do well.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...14192/34962297

The Alderson Era....continues....
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Which team had the worst off-season in the majors? According to Jon Heyman, your New York Mets:

30. Mets. They lost the heart of the team (though an of-injured one), and Andres Torres wouldn't be my first choice to replace the dynamic Reyes. Actually, Pagan would have been better. But that's nitpicky. Let's face it, no one that cuts an unprecedented $50 million can do well.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...14192/34962297

The Alderson Era....continues....
    You might want to re-read that last part you posted - I'll bold it for you. If it doesn't stick, read it again..and again.

Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    You might want to re-read that last part you posted - I'll bold it for you. If it doesn't stick, read it again..and again.
    And again...and again. Yet fine. Yet it's still what it is, and the franchise is still where it is, and our best player is still in Miami.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

I don't hate Alderson like some people here. I like him. However, I fervently hope the Wilpons sell the team.

I think the Brewers had a worse offseason than the Mets. Not only did they lose Prince Fielder, they almost lost Braun to suspension.

They're also stuck with K-Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    And again...and again. Yet fine. Yet it's still what it is, and the franchise is still where it is, and our best player is still in Miami.
    True. Fred should have told management he has the cash to sign him.

I don't hate Alderson like some people here. I like him. However, I fervently hope the Wilpons sell the team.

I think the Brewers had a worse offseason than the Mets. Not only did they lose Prince Fielder, they almost lost Braun to suspension.

Didnt K-Rod go to Arizona?
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Didnt K-Rod go to Arizona?
    K-Rod will be with the Brewers in 2012.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...odrifr03.shtml

The Brewers will contend for a playoff spot. The Mets will contend with Astros for a draft pick.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast