X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamtheBravesFan
    Braves Fan For Life
    • Nov 2005

And getting a new hitting coach should help as well. If Heyward isn't screwed up beyond repair, he'll rebound, and Dan Uggla can easily raise his batting average while keeping his power.

Having Pastornicky at short, if it does happen, won't be too harmful, even if he has a glove made of iron, like I hear. Hudson's just about the only ground ball pitcher on this staff now.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• PureBaseballFan
      I Believe Do You?
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      Having Pastornicky at short, if it does happen, won't be too harmful, even if he has a glove made of iron, like I hear. Hudson's just about the only ground ball pitcher on this staff now.
      I have heard mix things on Pastornicky, the guy I trust (Keith Law rubs people the wrong way but gives good analysis) says he should be fine at SS. The things I hear is that he has the range to play SS but the arm is the question though isn't bad enough where he is unable to do so, I think he should be fine and when it comes to offense the standard Alex Gonzalez has set aren't exactly Ruthian.
      Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
        Braves Fan For Life
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
        I have heard mix things on Pastornicky, the guy I trust (Keith Law rubs people the wrong way but gives good analysis) says he should be fine at SS. The things I hear is that he has the range to play SS but the arm is the question though isn't bad enough where he is unable to do so, I think he should be fine and when it comes to offense the standard Alex Gonzalez has set aren't exactly Ruthian.
        No kidding. All Pastornicky has to do is post a better batting average and that alone might give him a better OPS+ than Gonzalez did last year.

Comment

• PureBaseballFan
          I Believe Do You?
          • Jan 2005

Orioles reportedly turned down an offer of Prado, Jair, and a pitching prospect for Adam Jones. Here are my quick thoughts.

1. Don't believe it for a second.
          2. If true thank God.
          3. Tell him to just go into the season as is right now then trade away 2 good trade pieces for one overrated CFer.

Edit :: Mr. Bowman's response = Yeah not really
          Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM.
          Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Los Bravos
            Keep swinging
            • Oct 2006

I would like to have him but not for either of those guys, much less both of them. As several other people have noted, this is why the Orioles are who (and where) they are.

Even if that offer didn't happen, (and I trust DoB's sources), they could have gotten a nice package for him at the deadline last season. They need to get someone there who understands the concept of leverage.
            3 6 10 21 25 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

• PureBaseballFan
              I Believe Do You?
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
              I would like to have him but not for either of those guys, much less both of them. As several other people have noted, this is why the Orioles are who (and where) they are.

Even if that offer didn't happen, (and I trust DoB's sources), they could have gotten a nice package for him at the deadline last season. They need to get someone there who understands the concept of leverage.
              To be honest Jones doesn't interest me in any real manner, to me Adam Jones looks like another Nate McLouth for the Braves.

Jones is a guy who doesn't get On Base very much, hits HRs but most (19 of 25) come at home in a hitter's friendly park, and has a reverse split posting a .673 career OPS against lefties compared to .790 vs. righties.

Defensively he has won a Gold Glove but in the same vain of Nate McLouth in that he made great highlight reel plays but advanced numbers don't provide evidence that he really is a good or even average CFer defensively.

The next problem is he is only under control for 2 more seasons and his 25 HRs in 2011 and Gold Glove tend to be overrated and to keep him beyond 2013 would likely mean overpaying him.

Jones fills a lot of needs the Braves need on the surface, a RH hitter with good power and can play CF if Bourn were to leave, but in reality he is everything that the Braves have struggled with the past 2 years in CF, a guy who struggles against lefties while playing a poor defensive CF. He isn't Nate McLouth bad but he is hardly someone I would give up a bunch of quality players/prospects for.

Edit :: As for the Orioles I believe that they will continue to flail as long as Peter Angelos owns the team, he simply gets in the way of what is likely positive moves to the future by singling out players who he simply likes and thus prevents deals from getting done.
              Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 12-21-2011, 06:02 PM.
              Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                Braves Fan For Life
                • Nov 2005

At Last, News!

Braves sign Prado to a one-year deal, avoiding arbitration

Braves bring back Jack Wilson to back up Pastornicky

Clearly, not earth-shattering news, but this makes the 2012 picture much clearer.

Comment

• Francoeurstein
                  Braves Mod
                  • Aug 2005

If the Braves do not make any somewhat significant moves, I will be largely unimpressed.
                  Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                    Braves Fan For Life
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
                    If the Braves do not make any somewhat significant moves, I will be largely unimpressed.
                    It is not necessary to be impressed. The team really didn't need to make many changes. The Marlins got better, yes, but it'd take an unabashed act of God for there not to be multiple controversies coming out of that team. The Phillies will be the Phillies, and the Natonals will have to have everything go right for them to be a threat.

Comment

• Los Bravos
                      Keep swinging
                      • Oct 2006

Bourn and JJ have signed one year deals to avoid arbitration and Moylan has been signed to a minor league contract and invited to spring training. I think we're where we're going to be when the whistle blows.

I would like to make a tweak or two but all in all, I'm okay with where we are. We practiced a great deal of addition by subtraction this winter. Just knowing I'm not going to have to suffer a hive attack every 4th or 5th day with Lowe on the mound sets my mind at ease, tremendously.

Comment

• PureBaseballFan
                        I Believe Do You?
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                        I would like to make a tweak or two but all in all, I'm okay with where we are. We practiced a great deal of addition by subtraction this winter. Just knowing I'm not going to have to suffer a hive attack every 4th or 5th day with Lowe on the mound sets my mind at ease, tremendously.
                        You can add that to making me want to claw my eyes out whenever Alex Gonzalez came up to back with RISP.
                        Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Los Bravos
                          Keep swinging
                          • Oct 2006

With me, it was more like clasping my hands together and imploring him to get a strike before he started flailing away but, yeah...I hear ya.

Comment

• PureBaseballFan
                            I Believe Do You?
                            • Jan 2005

I was reading the article with Terry McGuirk from the AJC when this line caught my attention.

Originally posted by Terry McGuirk CEO of the Atlanta Braves
                            “It’s hard to predict, but there’s no pressure [to sell],” McGuirk said. “Public companies, when they do poorly, have different pressures. Liberty has done extremely well and is a very successful company. ... Public companies are public companies, but there’s nothing to indicate that any sale could be happening in the near future.”
                            My personal reaction

There is a lot of good stuff in the article the, as well as things which make me want to burn down Time Warner because once you read that TV deal section it makes you realize how much we got screwed by them.
                            Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM.
                            Extend Prado!!!

Comment

• Los Bravos
                              Keep swinging
                              • Oct 2006

Yeah, that deal was clearly the beginning of the problem and the start of our slow slide into mid-markethood.

Comment

• PureBaseballFan
                                I Believe Do You?
                                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Ken Rosenthal
                                #Braves excited by Hanson's revamped delivery. He's more compact, making better use of legs. Shoulder issue forced adjustments.
                                interested to see the new motion.
                                Extend Prado!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X