Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playoffs: 2011 Edition

the next game is super important. even moreso for the tigers since they have not so good pitchers in the end of their rotation and worse hitting too.

I think if the yankees win it against verlander the series is over. if detroit wins they have the advantage but the yanks still would have a chance to win it.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

This article says it perfectly. Hopefully we have some subscribers here:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=15226

"You're Joe Girardi, manager of the Yankees, the AL's second-highest scoring team this year, and the one that led the majors in home runs. You're sitting on a 1-0 lead in the Division Series against the Tigers because the night before, your lineup exploded for six runs in the sixth inning against a flagging starter. Of your A-list relievers, David Robertson and Rafael Soriano last pitched five days ago, while Mariano Rivera has gotten four outs in three appearances over the past week. You're down 4-0 in the seventh inning of this contest, but you've got two on and one out with your number-nine hitter, Brett Gardner, coming to the plate. Gardner has been struggling (.223/.320/.313 since July 31), but his two-run single broke open Game One, and he lined out in his last at-bat. After him, you have Derek Jeter, who is 0-for-3 but had two hits late Saturday night, followed by Curtis Granderson and Robinson Cano, your two most dangerous hitters this season.

It's a pretty desperate situation, right? Quick, think of something to do!"

"Girardi was looking in the wrong place. Chavez, the only lefty on his bench, has just five homers in the 424 plate appearances since he became a perennial DL dweller. Righty Andruw Jones homered five times in 76 plate appearances against righties this season, and while his platoon split (.172/.303/.406) is ugly, the odds of him running into one are much better. Rookie righty Jesus Montero had four homers in 42 plate appearances against righties this season, and hadn't gotten an at-bat all series. By limiting himself to options in which he had the platoon advantage, Girardi bypassed his bench's best power threats.

The larger problem is that the Yankees didn't need to get three runs back in one big bite. A run here, a run there—with the middle of the lineup due one more shot, . . ."

and

You have to admit that posada worked out well though.

He went 2 for 3 with a walk and a triple. It doesn't get better than that.

Still I would prefer montero in that spot of course.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    You have to admit that posada worked out well though.

He went 2 for 3 with a walk and a triple. It doesn't get better than that.

Still I would prefer montero in that spot of course.
    Agree on both counts. But Girardi really mismanaged yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Agree on both counts. But Girardi really mismanaged yesterday.
    The biggest mistake was pinch hitting Chavez for Gardner. I mean I know Gardner is struggling, but Chavez is as well. Not to mention the defensive loss of Gardner's speed.....

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    The biggest mistake was pinch hitting Chavez for Gardner. I mean I know Gardner is struggling, but Chavez is as well. Not to mention the defensive loss of Gardner's speed.....
    That and bringing in Ayala with Soriano, D-Rob and Mo all ready and in need of a little work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    I don't know why A-Rod is still in that 4 spot, other than his name. If anyone put the Yanks 1-6 batters numbers together and did a blind comparison, I don't think there is any way that he would be batting cleanup. At least Cano finally moved to the 3 hole.

So now they're on their way to Detroit tied at 1 game a piece, with Verlander looming in game 3. This could get ugly fast.
    A-Rod batting in the cleanup spot makes a heck of a lot more sense than Jeter batting leadoff against a RHP (i.e. Scherzer, Verlander). Jeter (predictably) went 0 for 5 last game. Teixeira (predictaly, since he hasn't hit in the postseason since joining the Yankees) is 1 for 7 so far. Yet, the only complaints I hear are about A-Rod. It is ALWAYS about A-Rod.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    A-Rod batting in the cleanup spot makes a heck of a lot more sense than Jeter batting leadoff against a RHP (i.e. Scherzer, Verlander). Jeter (predictably) went 0 for 5 last game. Teixeira (predictaly, since he hasn't hit in the postseason since joining the Yankees) is 1 for 7 so far. Yet, the only complaints I hear are about A-Rod. It is ALWAYS about A-Rod.
    Hey, where ya been? Seriously, though, Arod looks late and weak and at number 4 with Cano in front of you, he's gonna get alot of chances to come through or fail since I don't think the Tigers want any part of Cano in a tough spot. Last 11 post season games Arod has hit .175 with 0 HRs. He makes too much money not to be criticized.
    Last edited by Yankwood; 10-03-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    Hey, where ya been? Seriously, though, Arod looks late and weak and at number 4 with Cano in front of you, he's gonna get alot of chances to come through or fail since I don't think the Tigers want any part of Cano in a tough spot. Last 11 post season games Arod has hit .175 with 0 HRs. He makes too much money not to be criticized.
    Jeter and Tex are not exactly minimum wage guys either.

CC is being squeezed, but Verlander is getting the close calls. Unbelievable.....

CC is being squeezed, but Verlander is getting the close calls. Unbelievable.....
    CC is getting horribly squeezed. Verlander is throwing more down the pike, but that is more acceptable at 100. CC needs to pitch. Verlander can just throw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    the next game is super important. even moreso for the tigers since they have not so good pitchers in the end of their rotation and worse hitting too.

I think if the yankees win it against verlander the series is over. if detroit wins they have the advantage but the yanks still would have a chance to win it.
    Yanks are going to have a very hard time winning the series, no way is the back end of the tigers rotation worse than the Yankees. I hate to be the negative guy, but I believe this series is over, Tigers got this. I just hope I'm proven wrong.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

So when do I get to see the CC Sabathia that's better than Verlander? They gave him an early lead, and he responded by being in trouble in almost every inning, before finally having to leave in the 6th after throwing too many pitches. So far in this series, he's thrown 7 2/3 innings and given up 5 runs. I hope the Yanks remember this when he opts out of his contract at the end of the season.
    Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 10-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Notice the calls? And we are not talking one game either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    Yanks are going to have a very hard time winning the series, no way is the back end of the tigers rotation worse than the Yankees. I hate to be the negative guy, but I believe this series is over, Tigers got this. I just hope I'm proven wrong.

quitter...

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Notice the calls? And we are not talking one game either.

I don't think that the K-Zone is lined up properly. The pitches on the third base side of the box (inside to a right hander) seem to be called strikes even though they are outside the K-Zone, while the pitches that are seemingly in the zone on the first base side are called balls. It was the same last night.

This has been a pattern for Soriano.... He likes to choke big time.....

At least the Yankees have a sixteen and one-half million dollar pitcher going tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    At least the Yankees have a sixteen and one-half million dollar pitcher going tomorrow.
    You mean a $16.5 million head case...... I hope the good one shows up tomorrow..... Good thing Game 4 is in Detroit. If AJ chokes tomorrow and if it was in YS, I don't think he'll come back in 2012 due to the fans booing him out of NYC.

Blog Entries
    This has been a pattern for Soriano.... He likes to choke big time.....
    Agreed. Soriano just seems to have a knack for giving up runs at the worst time. The man is inconsistently consistent in that department. Still wondering why Robertson wasn't working in the inning. Girardi should have been protecting the lead as if his life depended on it.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast