Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Playoffs: 2011 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    CC is being squeezed, but Verlander is getting the close calls. Unbelievable.....
    CC is getting horribly squeezed. Verlander is throwing more down the pike, but that is more acceptable at 100. CC needs to pitch. Verlander can just throw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    the next game is super important. even moreso for the tigers since they have not so good pitchers in the end of their rotation and worse hitting too.

I think if the yankees win it against verlander the series is over. if detroit wins they have the advantage but the yanks still would have a chance to win it.
    Yanks are going to have a very hard time winning the series, no way is the back end of the tigers rotation worse than the Yankees. I hate to be the negative guy, but I believe this series is over, Tigers got this. I just hope I'm proven wrong.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

So when do I get to see the CC Sabathia that's better than Verlander? They gave him an early lead, and he responded by being in trouble in almost every inning, before finally having to leave in the 6th after throwing too many pitches. So far in this series, he's thrown 7 2/3 innings and given up 5 runs. I hope the Yanks remember this when he opts out of his contract at the end of the season.
    Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 10-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Notice the calls? And we are not talking one game either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    Yanks are going to have a very hard time winning the series, no way is the back end of the tigers rotation worse than the Yankees. I hate to be the negative guy, but I believe this series is over, Tigers got this. I just hope I'm proven wrong.

quitter...

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Notice the calls? And we are not talking one game either.

I don't think that the K-Zone is lined up properly. The pitches on the third base side of the box (inside to a right hander) seem to be called strikes even though they are outside the K-Zone, while the pitches that are seemingly in the zone on the first base side are called balls. It was the same last night.

This has been a pattern for Soriano.... He likes to choke big time.....

At least the Yankees have a sixteen and one-half million dollar pitcher going tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    At least the Yankees have a sixteen and one-half million dollar pitcher going tomorrow.
    You mean a $16.5 million head case...... I hope the good one shows up tomorrow..... Good thing Game 4 is in Detroit. If AJ chokes tomorrow and if it was in YS, I don't think he'll come back in 2012 due to the fans booing him out of NYC.

Blog Entries
    This has been a pattern for Soriano.... He likes to choke big time.....
    Agreed. Soriano just seems to have a knack for giving up runs at the worst time. The man is inconsistently consistent in that department. Still wondering why Robertson wasn't working in the inning. Girardi should have been protecting the lead as if his life depended on it.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Blog Entries
    You mean a $16.5 million head case...... I hope the good one shows up tomorrow..... Good thing Game 4 is in Detroit. If AJ chokes tomorrow and if it was in YS, I don't think he'll come back in 2012 due to the fans booing him out of NYC.

Girardi has already said that Burnett will be on a short leash. I'm going to assume that means Hughes will be his caddy and come into the game at the first sight of trouble.

--

SMH...You just cannot lose a game in which you tap Verlander's jaw for 4 runs. Those are games that you should win, especially with this offense.

--

ARod, Tex and Swish just are not hitting. Alex and Swish are getting on via the BB but Tex isn't even doing that.
    Last edited by TonyStarks; 10-03-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    quitter...
    It's not being a quitter, I watched every single pitch, and will do the same tomorrow. It's being realistic. I have absolutely no hope in AJ Burnett.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Blog Entries
    I agree tha this series is over. Actually allowing AJ Burnett to start a playoff game with the season on the line is an insult to all Yankee fans. Has Yankee management seen this guy pitch for the last five months? How is he even on the postseason roster?

I didn't have much hope for this game against Verlander, but when all is said and done, they still had their chance to win and didn't come through. CC didn't have to be perfect - he just had to be decent, and he couldn't do it. The middle of the lineup isn't doing anything, and Soriano...well, what can you say about him? Tomorrow the Yanks are just going to have to outhit the Tigers, because the pitching probably won't get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I agree tha this series is over. Actually allowing AJ Burnett to start a playoff game with the season on the line is an insult to all Yankee fans. Has Yankee management seen this guy pitch for the last five months? How is he even on the postseason roster?
    Who else do they have? Hughes has been just as inconsistent as AJ, Colon is out of gas, and we don't know how Nova pitches on short rest( not to mention who would start game 5....). AJ is the only one left that we can turn to....

Who do they go with? Colon? He's been going downhill since the All Star break. Piece it together with the pen? I don't know how many of those guys I would trust either. The bottom line is that this is a $200 million team that is two deep in the starting rotation - and one of those guys was pitching in the minors two months ago.

what a bias strike zone last night...

1. The game is still played on the field.
    2. Rick Porcello is fairly young, inexperienced and a pitch-to-contact guy.
    3. Minus a couple of breaks from two games, the series could well have been over last night, in the Yankees favor.
    4. Stranger things have happened than a guy who has done it before pulling through when needed.

As a Tiger fan I'm not counting on anything. The series is not over.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    I don't think that the K-Zone is lined up properly. The pitches on the third base side of the box (inside to a right hander) seem to be called strikes even though they are outside the K-Zone, while the pitches that are seemingly in the zone on the first base side are called balls. It was the same last night.
    You know, I thought that too. Pitches that looked like they were gonna hit batters hands were showing up as right down the middle. Honestly, I wish they would get rid of that thing anyway. It's more of a distraction than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    Who do they go with? Colon? He's been going downhill since the All Star break. Piece it together with the pen? I don't know how many of those guys I would trust either. The bottom line is that this is a $200 million team that is two deep in the starting rotation - and one of those guys was pitching in the minors two months ago.
    You're right. They really don't have many options. Which is why I wondered how somebody here could say that the Yankees 3 and 4 starters matched up as better than Detroit's. All year long we had doubts about the back end of the Yankees rotation. Nova should never have been sent to the minors but this is what happens when you're paying way too much for Burnett. They refused to believe that the guy sucks as bad as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    It's not being a quitter, I watched every single pitch, and will do the same tomorrow. It's being realistic. I have absolutely no hope in AJ Burnett.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry8CpIg2fvU

Blog Entries
    The more I think about it, the more it irks me. How the hell could Cashman let Burnett anywhere near the mound is beyond me. I don't care what he did in his last start. I'd much rather throw Hughes for a good 3 innings or more depending on how he's pitching then follow up with another 2 innings from Colon before handing it off to the back end of the bullpen.

Can anyone tell me what Swisher was thinking last night when he led off the 9th and swung at a 2-0 pitch, only to foul out?! Was he thinking he was going to hit a 2 Run Jack leading off the inning for a post game show pie?

maybe it could work out to keep AJ only out for about 4-5 innings and then get the ball to hughes.

Sometimes AJ does implode right away but sometimes he also gives you 4 good innings before imploding. If he gives you 4 good innings it would be a good thing. girardi just needs to find the right time to leave the sinking ship.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

I'm not sure that the Yankees have a better option than Burnett for tonight's game.

Colon isn't on the roster, but the argument can be made that Burnett was a better choice for a start - he's healthy and he performed better in September, for what it's worth. Even through his struggles, Burnett did quite well his first run through the line-up, whereas Colon's meltdowns occurred almost immediately ... and the Yankees bullpen is fairly well rested - they can pick up the slack if Burnett stumbles in the fourth.

Hughes hasn't thrown more than 26 pitches since September 12 ... I don't even know if he's stretched out enough to toss three innings, following yet another injury.

That obviously doesn't make me feel better about Burnett starting - but the Yankees were kind of backed into a corner here.

I can't believe how many of you have already given up on your team. LOL.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast