Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Relocate the Rays?

  1. #41
    To be honest, Pro baseball has never, and will never thrive in Florida. Their best bet is to move out of state.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by DaaBoTownSox View Post
    To be honest, Pro baseball has never, and will never thrive in Florida. Their best bet is to move out of state.
    Why? no one cared when we sucked no everyone bashes on our attendance when we are great is that all anyone has against us is attendance? I do believe so.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    Why? no one cared when we sucked no everyone bashes on our attendance when we are great is that all anyone has against us is attendance? I do believe so.
    Doesn't attendance generate revenue?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by DaaBoTownSox View Post
    Doesn't attendance generate revenue?
    When has Revenue ever been an issue with this team? There are other ways of generating that.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpie View Post
    What's not to like about the Trop? Games are played, rain or shine. It has A/C. I went to 5 games this season, including post season, and sat on every side of the stadium. I enjoyed every game. The only complaint I have is that the stingrays "hit the showers" too early in the game. (For those that have been there you know what I mean.)

    Thanks for the welcome. I'm having a good time here.
    The Trop isn't my favorite venue, but there are a lot of cool things about it, like air conditioning, counting on a game happening, the Cuban sandwiches, the concourses, and the tbt party deck. I've always had a good time there, and it's definitely an economical evening of entertainment especially with a competitive Rays team on the field. It's a shame they don't draw more, but as kid-friendly as it is, maybe they'll build a fan base for the future.
    Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com!

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    When has Revenue ever been an issue with this team? There are other ways of generating that.
    Yes, but attendance is the top way. If they aren't drawing, then there's not much revenue, therefore upgrades can't be made.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by DaaBoTownSox View Post
    Yes, but attendance is the top way. If they aren't drawing, then there's not much revenue, therefore upgrades can't be made.
    So how do the Red Sox and their 100 year old, 35K seat stadium enable them to spend $100M a year in salaries? It's not the attendance, it's the TV contract with NESN. Same as the Yankees with the YES network. It's a license to print money. The Rays don't even have a good TV deal, yet still figure out a way to win on the field. It's called pitching and defense, with timely hitting and fundamental baseball. Old school still wins.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Between Miami, Winter Springs and Largo, Fl
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    So how do the Red Sox and their 100 year old, 35K seat stadium enable them to spend $100M a year in salaries? It's not the attendance, it's the TV contract with NESN. Same as the Yankees with the YES network. It's a license to print money. The Rays don't even have a good TV deal, yet still figure out a way to win on the field. It's called pitching and defense, with timely hitting and fundamental baseball. Old school still wins.

    Amen.
    Chairman of the Bored

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville.
    Posts
    52
    Don't forget a great front office that knows how to scout and develop players. Like you said, old school.
    Baseball. The official sport of god.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by doug217 View Post
    Don't forget a great front office that knows how to scout and develop players. Like you said, old school.
    Exactly why does everyone want us to spend money so bad? Its not the be all end all since clearly last time i checked the standings the yanks and Sox are having more issues then us with there 180-200 mill teams.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
    There never should've been teams in either Tampa or Miami. It was a huge mistake by MLB to place franchises in toxic sports towns. Even Atlanta isn't a very good pro sports town.
    I disagree. As a resident, I would say Atlanta is decent when it comes to numbers, but we have a very traditional, loyal fanbase.
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    I disagree. As a resident, I would say Atlanta is decent when it comes to numbers, but we have a very traditional, loyal fanbase.
    Tampa is far from a toxic sports town i find that unbelievable at best. Even before the Bucs were good and won a SB They always had a good 55k-60k in the seats at RayJay and always had one of the best attendance records. As a Bucs fan we started to get irritated with ownership and us not going to games is our way to show them that until they put a winning product back out on the field we wouldn't line there pockets. The lightning also have some of the best attendance. Please check your stats before you mouth off.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    I disagree. As a resident, I would say Atlanta is decent when it comes to numbers, but we have a very traditional, loyal fanbase.
    The Braves drew pretty well last season, about 30,000 a game. The interesting thing is that they draw their biggest crowds in September.
    Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com!

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    Tampa is far from a toxic sports town i find that unbelievable at best. Even before the Bucs were good and won a SB They always had a good 55k-60k in the seats at RayJay and always had one of the best attendance records. As a Bucs fan we started to get irritated with ownership and us not going to games is our way to show them that until they put a winning product back out on the field we wouldn't line there pockets. The lightning also have some of the best attendance. Please check your stats before you mouth off.
    Not trying to be insulting, but why do you suppose the Rays draw so poorly? I've read that the location of the Trop is one thing, but it can't be just that. I'm curious why that is, they're a good team and as good a deal as any in baseball. Heck of a lot cheaper for a family of four than anything Disney or Universal.
    Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com!

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtDman24 View Post
    Not trying to be insulting, but why do you suppose the Rays draw so poorly? I've read that the location of the Trop is one thing, but it can't be just that. I'm curious why that is, they're a good team and as good a deal as any in baseball. Heck of a lot cheaper for a family of four than anything Disney or Universal.
    Honestly? I don't know. The weekend games are always packed and then attendance falls during the weekday. I think a lot of people want to go to the games but because school is still in and such its just not doable right now i am not sure. Trop is just so far out of the way and out of the population center.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,696
    For those of you that know the Tampa Bay area, I live in New Port Richey and work in East Tampa out near the casino. That's almost 40 miles one way, and in the opposite direction of St Pete and Tropicana Field. I'll be damned if I am going to be up since 5:45AM, work till 5 PM then drive through Tampa's rush hour AND St. Petersburg's rush hour on a weeknight to go to a game, get home after 11PM and get up again in 6 hours and go to work again. Not when every home game is on my TV for free, and the couch and cold beer is free as well. I'll go to a weekend game now and then. But maybe if the stadium was already in Tampa, either downtown or near the fairgrounds where I work, I would go to many more games. But by the time that ever happens I would probably be retired

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    For those of you that know the Tampa Bay area, I live in New Port Richey and work in East Tampa out near the casino. That's almost 40 miles one way, and in the opposite direction of St Pete and Tropicana Field. I'll be damned if I am going to be up since 5:45AM, work till 5 PM then drive through Tampa's rush hour AND St. Petersburg's rush hour on a weeknight to go to a game, get home after 11PM and get up again in 6 hours and go to work again. Not when every home game is on my TV for free, and the couch and cold beer is free as well. I'll go to a weekend game now and then. But maybe if the stadium was already in Tampa, either downtown or near the fairgrounds where I work, I would go to many more games. But by the time that ever happens I would probably be retired
    I have season tickets

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    For those of you that know the Tampa Bay area, I live in New Port Richey and work in East Tampa out near the casino. That's almost 40 miles one way, and in the opposite direction of St Pete and Tropicana Field. I'll be damned if I am going to be up since 5:45AM, work till 5 PM then drive through Tampa's rush hour AND St. Petersburg's rush hour on a weeknight to go to a game, get home after 11PM and get up again in 6 hours and go to work again. Not when every home game is on my TV for free, and the couch and cold beer is free as well. I'll go to a weekend game now and then. But maybe if the stadium was already in Tampa, either downtown or near the fairgrounds where I work, I would go to many more games. But by the time that ever happens I would probably be retired
    I don't doubt that there are a lot of people like you raysnbran; so my next question would be, whose idea was it to put the baseball stadium in st. petersburg, and why don't the rays have some sort of Tampa shuttle or something? I know there's the No Excuses Tour, but I don't think the Rays run that.

    Curious. I like the Rays even though I'm an O's fan.
    Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com!

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Between Miami, Winter Springs and Largo, Fl
    Posts
    1,626
    Leave the Rays alone....You CANNOT have ALL the Fans Happy....Ever. That is impossible. The Tpa Bay is HUGE and if they were in East Tampa those nearby would be thrilled, but those in Pinellas, Bradenton or Sarasota would hate it... The Stadium would have to be on a frikken Island in the MIDDLE of the Bay with Pinellas to the West and Hillsboro to the East. Just South of the Howard Frankland Bridge.

    Lets get the people from Hong Kong down here, they can build anything, anywhere !!!!!
    Chairman of the Bored

  20. #60
    I'll chime in on this one ans start by saying I still think that the Tampa Bay area doesn't deserve a team. Does anyone remember when Uberoth(sp?) first announced they were going to be putting out 2 new franchises to the league? Nearly the next words out of his mouth were: "We don't want people building stadiums thinking it will guarantee them one of these franchises." So what do the people in power in the bay area do? Go out and build a stadium and then cry foul and try to wage legal actions after they aren't given one of the franchises. They did absolutely everything the MLB organization said not to do and then had the gall to whine that they were cheated and treated unfairly?

    They built the stadium over a highly toxic area. The initial phases of construction were constantly being delayed due to new findings in the soil. The are they built it in was squeezed into. It's difficult at best to get in and out of that area and parking is a pain. I will say that I haven't been there since the Ray's franchise was finally brought in. The Last time I was there was for a Jimmy Buffet concert, maybe 20 years ago. My Inlaws just took my son there last week for a Ray's game and to hear my FIL talk about the area, it really hasn't changed.

    There is a lot of empty space and easy access in the entire Hillsborough, Pasco, Polk and Pinellas areas. The St Pete area will hold the organization to their contract until they bankrupt them and they cease to exist. It's just plainly too inconvenient for people to be bothered with going to a game unless they schedule a majority of them as weekenders. Weekday games, will never get a decent showing while they are , where they are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •