Thread: Johnny Schmitz, former Cubs All-Star, passes away

Threaded View

Johnny Schmitz, former Cubs All-Star, passes away

Wausau native Johnny Schmitz, a former All-Star pitcher who faced Hall of Fame baseball legends such as Ted Williams, has died in Wausau at age 90.

Schmitz, who debuted with the Chicago Cubs, spent eight seasons in Chicago before shuffling around the major leagues. He went on to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds, New York Yankees, Washington Senators, Boston Red Sox and Baltimore Orioles.

Known also as "Bear Tracks," because he had large feet and seemed to shuffle to the mound, Schmitz tallied 93 wins and 114 losses in 235 starts. He finished his career with a 3.55 earned run average, according to the Baseball Almanac. Schmitz, who died Saturday, also pitched 86 complete games.
    Read more:

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...|img|FRONTPAGE
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 10-05-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Jersey cards of Edinson Volquez, Craig Kimbrel and David Ortiz! Bat card of Troy Tulowitzki! Autographs of Drake Britton, Kyle Lotzkar, Casey Weathers, Michael Burgess, Bryan Anderson, Trevor Bauer, Adam Lind, John Ely and Lorenzo de la Cruz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...