Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Off-Season: 2011-2012 Edition

I am not sure I would want him with the Angels. I like that ESPN is reporting that a trade is close with Pittsburg. The Yankees to eat 20 million of the 33 million left on his contract. I think they are lucky for that.

Burnett to Angels at some point woulda taken a bite of our ass. He would do well anywhere else but NY, maybe.

But hes a Pirate now. Wooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Burnett to Angels at some point woulda taken a bite of our ass. He would do well anywhere else but NY, maybe.

But hes a Pirate now. Wooooooooo.
    That was my thinking. ESPN was discussing the top A.L. teams. They said there are clearly 6 that have a decent shot for the World Series. Rangers...the top choice with Yu Darvish. In no particular order, Yankees, Tigers, Angels, Red Sox, and Rays.

I do agree that giving AJ to any of those other contenders could come back to bite us. Yes, Abreau would have been okay in my book but AJ is one of those guys that seems to pitch a string of bad games but then throws that one gem when it counts every so often. I wouldn't want that to against us.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...de-sources-say

credit-ESPN.Com
    "The Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Yankees have agreeds to a trade that would send right-hander A.J. Burnett to Pittsburgh and were awaiting approval from the commissioner's office Friday, sources said.

The Pirates will send right-handed reliever Diego Moreno and outfielder Exicardo Cayones to New York in return, sources said. Moreno, a 25-year-old from Venezuela, has split the last two seasons between Class A and Double-A minor league teams, while Cayones spent 2011 in Class A."

Blog Entries
    I am disappointed with the 2 prospects. Both look single A. I still can't believe we end up paying 20M to have him pitch for another team for 2 years. I am not a fan of Brian but why did we sign Kuroda for 10M. This actually cost us 30M and we did not get any talent but saved 13M.. Just doesn't make sense to me. I just don't think Brian is that good a GM. (I want his job)

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I am disappointed with the 2 prospects. Both look single A. I still can't believe we end up paying 20M to have him pitch for another team for 2 years. I am not a fan of Brian but why did we sign Kuroda for 10M. This actually cost us 30M and we did not get any talent but saved 13M.. Just doesn't make sense to me. I just don't think Brian is that good a GM. (I want his job)
    well money is not so much of an issue for the yanks. that extra money is not going to affect the roster much. you cannot acuse the yankees owners of being greedy.

cashman is just working with what he gets. he could be more economical in his decisions but he just doesn't need to be. the yanks are making so much money that they make profit even if the payroll is 280 millions.

given that I think cashman makes a good job. he gives you a very competitive team every year. what do you want more?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    well money is not so much of an issue for the yanks. that extra money is not going to affect the roster much. you cannot acuse the yankees owners of being greedy.

cashman is just working with what he gets. he could be more economical in his decisions but he just doesn't need to be. the yanks are making so much money that they make profit even if the payroll is 280 millions.

given that I think cashman makes a good job. he gives you a very competitive team every year. what do you want more?
    OK. I was hoping for a decent propect. I knew the situation was not good when Brian was shoping AJ in Winter Meeting. (I was watching the game Joe pulled AJ and AJ stormed into the clubroom with Joe going after him - I said to myself he was gone at the time) Time to move on and Hughes looks trim and determined to take the 5th spot. We'll see. We have three and possibly 4 young starting pitchers which is nice. Glad Rothchild is here.

Okajima failed his physical and I did not like him. Happy to see him go.

I am not sure I believe any team was going to do much more than what Pittsburg did. At least teams that AJ won't hurt us. I agree that Abreau might have been nice fromthe Angels...but AJ rejected that trade much less the Angels are on the rise.

I think what we got from the Pirates was AJ's market value. I mean the guy just isn't what most teams want to pay a bigger portion of his salary much less give up primary prospects.

I think Cahman does a decent job. He gets it. I don't know about a 280 million dollar payroll but they do field a competitive team every year. I am happy with the AJ move.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I don't like the prospects at all. If you can even call a 25 year old in single A that. This is a salary dump.
    That said I like Kuroda. He is a solid rotation option. I would have rather had Oswalt. And i never got the Garcia deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post

Cashman is clearly on a budget or this deal would not have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    I don't like the prospects at all. If you can even call a 25 year old in single A that. This is a salary dump.
    That said I like Kuroda. He is a solid rotation option. I would have rather had Oswalt. And i never got the Garcia deal.
    Garcia got done before the trade for Pineda or signing of Kuroda. At the time...the Yankees rotation was still a big question mark.

Yankees had absolutely no leverage in that trade.

Glad we just dumped AJ Burnett.

Yankees to sign Raul Ibanez.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ul-ibanez.html

He's not a good defender but he will be a DH.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post

Not surprised. Not particularly happy but its Ok.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...inker-new-york

A.J. Burnett: Pirates a 'fresh start':
    "It was fun the first couple of years. Then it got like, I'm never going to get out of this funk," he said Monday, a day after the Yankees dealt him to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a pair of low-level prospects.
    After signing an $82.5 million, five-year contract, Burnett helped the Yankees to their 27th World Series title in 2009. Then he slumped to a 21-26 record with a 5.20 ERA over the following two seasons.

He led the major leagues with 25 wild pitches last year and allowed a career-high 31 homers.
    "I let a few too many people tinker with me, maybe," Burnett said. "When you let that happen, you start doubting yourself sometimes. You wonder, 'Am I doing it right? Is this how it's supposed to feel?' and things like that. In '09, nobody messed with me. I was able to do what I wanted to do on the mound, whether it was turn around, close my eyes and pitch upside down. Then you have a few bad games and you start changing and listening."

Well I know he had to say certain things leaving NY. I am sure he had to even take a shot or two. I feel that he was one of th eworst signings for money in Yankee history. At least Top 10 maybe just outside of the Top 5. All I see is excuses people tinkering with him. The Pirates a nice fresh start...yet he refused to waive no trade clause on better deals for the Yankees and a better team for him. In the words of his ex-wife, Good Riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post

So they must feel Matsui and Damon are shot or is this guy better at this stage than both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by lhslancers View Post
    So they must feel Matsui and Damon are shot or is this guy better at this stage than both of them?
    Matsui looks shot. Damon is better but not against rhp. Which is all the Yanks are looking for.

LOL. I think that is it. What is the need? I mean we are talking the #7 spot in the line up at best...maybe 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by lhslancers View Post
    http://baseballplayersalaries.com/pl...4_Johnny_Damon
    Damon made 5.25 million last year. We signed Ibanez for 1.1 million. I have to think that Damon wouldn't have signed for just 1.1 million.

Blog Entries
    Why Joe can't shut up. Maybe I am reading into this too much. Hughes not getting the fifth spot after shipping AJ off is crazy. Like last year sending Nova down (he could have gotten 20 wins) and going with Garcia and Colon. Now Gracia may be the fifth! Joe always favors the vereran and even when the prospect is very good - Joe always goes with the veteran. Case in point Chavez. I thought Nunez did outstanding filling in for A Rod last year. Don't get me wrong Chavez is not bad but takes up a spot in the pen. I want Hughes to the fifth and Garcia is our back up. If it doesn't work like last year - then make the move. It's Hughes job to lose. I not only want Brian job I want both.

Why give Martin more years??? He bomb at the plate last year in post season (Po was great). He's a filler until one of our prospects is ready.

We need a ST thread.
    Clipper

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast