Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Off-Season: 2011-2012 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Yankees to sign Raul Ibanez.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ul-ibanez.html

He's not a good defender but he will be a DH.
    So they must feel Matsui and Damon are shot or is this guy better at this stage than both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by lhslancers View Post
    So they must feel Matsui and Damon are shot or is this guy better at this stage than both of them?
    Matsui looks shot. Damon is better but not against rhp. Which is all the Yanks are looking for.

LOL. I think that is it. What is the need? I mean we are talking the #7 spot in the line up at best...maybe 8th.

http://baseballplayersalaries.com/pl...4_Johnny_Damon
    Damon made 5.25 million last year. We signed Ibanez for 1.1 million. I have to think that Damon wouldn't have signed for just 1.1 million.

Blog Entries
    Why Joe can't shut up. Maybe I am reading into this too much. Hughes not getting the fifth spot after shipping AJ off is crazy. Like last year sending Nova down (he could have gotten 20 wins) and going with Garcia and Colon. Now Gracia may be the fifth! Joe always favors the vereran and even when the prospect is very good - Joe always goes with the veteran. Case in point Chavez. I thought Nunez did outstanding filling in for A Rod last year. Don't get me wrong Chavez is not bad but takes up a spot in the pen. I want Hughes to the fifth and Garcia is our back up. If it doesn't work like last year - then make the move. It's Hughes job to lose. I not only want Brian job I want both.

Why give Martin more years??? He bomb at the plate last year in post season (Po was great). He's a filler until one of our prospects is ready.

We need a ST thread.
    Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Why Joe can't shut up. Maybe I am reading into this too much. Hughes not getting the fifth spot after shipping AJ off is crazy. Like last year sending Nova down (he could have gotten 20 wins) and going with Garcia and Colon. Now Gracia may be the fifth! Joe always favors the vereran and even when the prospect is very good - Joe always goes with the veteran. Case in point Chavez. I thought Nunez did outstanding filling in for A Rod last year. Don't get me wrong Chavez is not bad but takes up a spot in the pen. I want Hughes to the fifth and Garcia is our back up. If it doesn't work like last year - then make the move. It's Hughes job to lose. I not only want Brian job I want both.

Why give Martin more years??? He bomb at the plate last year in post season (Po was great). He's a filler until one of our prospects is ready.

We need a ST thread.
    Clipper
    Hughes needs to show what he can do now. It can't be a good thing for his head to be dropped out of the fifth spot. If he stinks it up put Garcia in the rota. This is backasswards.

Blog Entries
    Hughes needs to show what he can do now. It can't be a good thing for his head to be dropped out of the fifth spot. If he stinks it up put Garcia in the rota. This is backasswards.

I agree - not happy with Joe Giradi comments about it. They just reported and from the reports Hughes worked out over the Winter (he was overweigh last year) We screwed up Joba and I want to see Hughes given a decent chance to succeed. Maybe it was taken out of context but I have Hughes as the fifth, Gracia in the pen, and can't understand this. Joe Torres drove me crazy and this Joe Giradi is driving me to drink. We have a great team don't screw around. I want a Burt Reynolds jersey.

this is out of ESPN:
    Yankees manager Joe Girardi didn't dismiss the possibility that Phil Hughes could be sent to the minors to continue working as a starter if he doesn't win the fifth spot in the rotation.
    Last edited by clipper; 02-23-2012 at 06:02 PM.

I agree on Hughes over Garcia. Hughes should be the favorite and get the gig if it is even close.

On Martin. Sanchez and JR are years away. A three year deal for Martin would not be bad especially of the advanced metrics are half right on his defense.

Romine is 24. 4 years in the Minor Leagues. When if ever does he catch?

When we let Cervelli go?

I think it is insantiy to not give Hughes the ball for every fifth day. I don't care if he gets shelled the first 8 starts...then replace him. The kid is owed the opportunity to shine or sink every fifth day.

As stated prior, I think the Yankees screwed up Chamberlain and even Hughes a bit.

Most teams expect to lose 2/3 of their games or more when their #5 goes out there. I just don't get the big deal with giving Hughes the nod. Like it is make or break that we have someone that can win 15.

Really disappointed in Girardi.

With Nova and Pineda being only 2nd year guys, how about Hughes being the 3 or 4 starter? Why should a guy with more experience be the # 5? Let those other two prove themselves.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    With Nova and Pineda being only 2nd year guys, how about Hughes being the 3 or 4 starter? Why should a guy with more experience be the # 5? Let those other two prove themselves.
    I would be thrilled if Hughes got back to the 2010 form to fight to be a #3 starter. The issue is that some feel that he won't or can't get back to that form.

That is what I liked about the Braves from an observation. You knew Maddux and Galvine were 1a and 1b on paper. But Smoltz and even Avery both pitched like aces and not the back end of any pitching rotation. I have high hopes in the near future that guys like Pineda, Nova, and Hughes along with one of the killer B's or whomever emerges that they all battle like they are the #1 or at least #2 guy in this rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
    I think it is insantiy to not give Hughes the ball for every fifth day. I don't care if he gets shelled the first 8 starts...then replace him. The kid is owed the opportunity to shine or sink every fifth day.

As stated prior, I think the Yankees screwed up Chamberlain and even Hughes a bit.

Most teams expect to lose 2/3 of their games or more when their #5 goes out there. I just don't get the big deal with giving Hughes the nod. Like it is make or break that we have someone that can win 15.

Really disappointed in Girardi.
    Apparently so do the Yanks. According to rosenthal it is hughes job to lose.

I saw today that Pineda isn't a lock for the starting rotation, and the only two sure starters are CC and Kuroda. I'm hoping that I'm not reading too much into that. I don't understand why the statement would be made at this point, but Kuroda seems like a strange choice to be the second guaranteed starter, if one had to be picked at this point.

Kuroda is the only pitcher other than CC with more than 1 recent good year.

He is a known quantity. None of the others are.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    I saw today that Pineda isn't a lock for the starting rotation, and the only two sure starters are CC and Kuroda. I'm hoping that I'm not reading too much into that. I don't understand why the statement would be made at this point, but Kuroda seems like a strange choice to be the second guaranteed starter, if one had to be picked at this point.
    Smoke and mirrors. Girardi saying that CC and Kuroda are the only guarantees. I mean Nova and Pineda much less Hughes would have to really bomb. I just think it i stalk to make sure no one coasts during spring training. We all know the starting 5. The only way it changes is if Hughes really falls off the table during spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post

Not in AL East he isnt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Bomber Fan View Post
    I wish Joe would not say anything. Jim Duquette thinks it's Garcia and Rosenthal thinks it's Hughes. Tomorrow is the first ST game so what the rush!!!! I want joe's job.

The think I want is for Brian to lock up Cano long term. We have an option year next year but I think the sooner the better. He is top 3 to me and we can use Pedroia contract as a bar. I feel they are that close but being a Yankee I think Cano is better. He may be in the 3 spot so that critical. I would wait on Gardner and not do Swisher. I am sure with Nova nd Pinedi we have time.

I do like this team going into the season even with what the Angels did.
    Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Not in AL East he isnt.
    True. But given his track record he is far less of a question mark than the others, non CC division.

Hughes, Nova and Pineda have each had 1/2 of a good season a piece.

Not a good start for AJ in Pittsburgh. He bunted himself in his face

He broke a bone around his eye and will miss at least 2-3 months

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post

They're also the only two pitchers making $10+million. When you have over $30 million locked up in two starters you better believe they're going to be the only two locks.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Soriano???

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries...w-york-yankees

Player and 2012 salaries according to ESPN.Com
    1 Alex Rodriguez 32,000,000
    2 CC Sabathia 24,285,714
    3 Mark Teixeira 23,125,000
    4 A.J. Burnett 16,500,000
    5 Mariano Rivera 14,911,701
    6 Derek Jeter 14,729,365
    7 Hiroki Kuroda 11,765,724
    8 Robinson Cano 10,000,000
    9 Nick Swisher 9,100,000
    10 Rafael Soriano 9,000,000
    11 Curtis Granderson 8,250,000
    12 Russell Martin 4,000,000
    13 Pedro Feliciano 3,750,000
    14 Phil Hughes 2,700,000
    15 Andruw Jones 1,500,000
    Freddy Garcia 1,500,000
    17 Joba Chamberlain 1,400,000
    18 Boone Logan 1,200,000
    19 Russell Branyan 1,000,000
    20 Brett Gardner 529,500
    21 David Robertson 460,450
    22 Francisco Cervelli 455,700
    23 Ivan Nova 432,900
    24 Eduardo Nunez 419,300
    25 Michael Pineda 414,000

Team (Top 15 teams) and 2012 salaries
    1 New York Yankees 196,854,630
    2 Philadelphia Phillies 172,976,381
    3 Boston Red Sox 160,257,476
    4 Los Angeles Angels 138,999,024
    5 Chicago White Sox 129,285,539
    6 Chicago Cubs 126,380,663
    7 New York Mets 120,147,311
    8 San Francisco Giants 117,784,333
    9 Minnesota Twins 112,737,000
    10 Detroit Tigers 105,705,232
    11 Los Angeles Dodgers 103,788,991
    12 St. Louis Cardinals 98,746,072
    13 Texas Rangers 91,885,265
    14 Colorado Rockies 87,998,071
    15 Atlanta Braves 87,003,192

Blog Entries
    I was against A Rod's contract then (his second one) and everytime I look at it I get sick. He opted out and we should have shook hands and said fine. Brian should have lost his job for that one. And he did it during the world series! I truly believe this present contract is the worst in baseball. I remember Dave Winfields. Pavano, and Clements but this is worst. I have a baseball friend, we talk about trades and contracts: Sometimes all he says "ARod"

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast