Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Another World Series Ratings Debacle, Coming Right Up!

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Unless you have data supporting NEILSEN families did this in the 70's your post is completely hyperbolic.

We were asked to become a Neilsen family in summer 2010. I declined. Boxes were going to be sent (up to two, we have four tv's but two are in bedrooms), there was hoockups to do, paperwork, etc.
    How many non-baseball fans do you remember watching the World Series in the 70s? I don't remember many doing it. I don't think Neilsen ratings would show how many non-fans tuned it to watch a World Series game.
    Last edited by EdTarbusz; 11-07-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    How many non-baseball fans do you remember watching the World Series in the 70s? I don't remember many doing it. I don't think Neilsen ratings would show how many non-fans tuned it to watch a World Series game.
    I looked for something like this but I can't find it (the age distribution for WS viewers in say, 1975.) I'd really like to see this for 1975-2012. I'm sure it's proprietary to Nielsen, althought they do report large cohorts publically from time to time.

In 1975, for instance, baby boomers were ages 12-30, I think. I imagine that this age group was a very big part of the audience in 1975, especially males, and that the next group would have been males 31-49, or even a bit higher.

What do we think has happened since then? Well, beyond the fact that the audience has dwindled that is. It's clear that only a small fraction of today's 12-30 group is watching compared to 1975 (since the average age is now 53.) It's likely that a significant portion of the group that was 12-30 in 1975 that DID watch the 1975 series, and that is now 49-67, is also not watching. Although who knows what that number is outside of some corporate offices?

So, two things seem plausible: 1) the original group has declined in numbers to some extent over time and 2) the age-cohort today (that is comparable to the same group in 1975) does not participate as much.

The reason for both decreases could be strikingly different. For example, Group 1 might be due to growing disatisfaction with how MLB handles playoffs, steroids, strikes, instant replay, etc. while Group 2 could care less about those issues but finds appeal in the multiple choices on cable. I'm not suggesting that these are valid groups or that these are valid reasons, but those reasons are highly unrelated.
    Last edited by drstrangelove; 11-07-2012 at 04:17 PM.

family guy season 12 episode 2
    rating guy
    http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/409768

37 pages

laughable
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Laugh if you'd like, but ratings are decreasing. The why and the how is debatable of course.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by drstrangelove View Post
    I looked for something like this but I can't find it (the age distribution for WS viewers in say, 1975.)
    I couldn't either. In 1975 I was in the sixth grade and I was able to watch two Series games (1 and 2 which were day games). At that time I had more friends that didn't like baseball. The World Series usually created some buzz in my neighborhood, but rarely at school.

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    I have been pick many times here in NYC for the paper count
    there are two methods that they used

1) they randomly sent you a paper ballot by mail and you get paid to fill out this ballot
    by recording what tv programs you watch or what radio station you listen to in a given time in a given week

2)you get picked and if you say YES that you are willing to be a participant
    you MUST sign a contract,
    a background check is done to see if they can trust you
    and most importantly that you and your family can keep SILENT about having that box
    the box is connected to ONE tv in your household

yes ONE
    and that tv must NOT be connected to a DVR

so dad can be watching the WS upstairs on his tv
    son can be watching the WS on his tv or computer
    daughter can be watching a girls show on her tv
    and MOM is watching whatever is on the mom channel on the tv with the box
    so whatever mom is watching is what is counted

the NYC metro area has the most people and is the home of most networks
    thus we has the most Nielsen rating meters (boxes) follow by the 2nd (los angeles) and so on

EX: the 2000 world series between the Mets and the Yankees is one of the top ten most watched WS
    even though outside the nyc metro area NO ONE yes NO ONE care to watch that series
    why, simple because as I stated above the most people with these boxes are in new York

in years past, the ratings were higher because there was NO internet
    and in most household the family gather around together and watch whatever
    was showing on that one tv in the living room
    The NFL superbowl is one example of a show that gets huge ratings because people group together
    to watch the game, the commercials and the half time show.

BUT the number one reason
    in my opinion why american football and basketball is watched by more people than baseball
    is because of gambling
    more people with absolutely no knowledge of football have won more office pools
    than people that know the game and use all the stats in the world
    Yet baseball was the first pro team sport to introduce gambling. It has been said that bettors bet on every pitch a long time ago. When was the last time you sat next to fans putting up $25 that the batter would strike out on the next pitch?
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Laugh if you'd like, but ratings are decreasing. The why and the how is debatable of course.
    And whether it actually matters to baseball is ALSO debatable. Perhaps national ratings are bad but it seems like the local TV markets for baseball are doing fine.

If all TV ratings were that abysmal, you wouldn't have teams being offered outrageously huge TV contracts nor teams with their own sports channels (YES, NESN, etc.).
    "I can see how he won twenty-five games. What I don't understand is how he lost five." - Yogi Berra on Sandy Koufax's 1963 season.

^

Agreed... To a point. What team would not want a larger tv contract? What network would not want 5% more in advertising revenue during MLB games? A more positive ratings trend might help accomplish both. Not just World Series ratings of course...
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 11-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Just noticed someone had started a thread talking about how good the current playoff system is. It's another misguided Bud Selig money grab that degrades the sport for fast money.

I kind of like seeing the Pirates, A's and Indians in the post-season. Still, the current system makes the World Series anti-climactic and sets the bar for participation too low. It also makes it hard for casual fans to follow any one team's narrative if they're not already familiar with that team. I'm guessing if the Dodgers and/or Red Sox don't make the WS ratings will test a new low.

Anyone want to take that bet?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

I guess it's that time of year again for whining about the baseball playoff format.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread got revived. It's becoming an annual tradition around here.

I hate the Wild Card play-in game, and I always will. I couldn't care less about the TV ratings for the World Series though. The only teams I think have any shot at winning the World Series this year are the Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers and Braves, so if the ratings mean so much to you, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Does anyone have any numbers for the WC Games or the play in game?

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread got revived. It's becoming an annual tradition around here.
    Because it's always fun and enlightening when this thread gets bumped!
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    I guess it's that time of year again for whining about the baseball playoff format.
    Whelp the Yankees aren't in the World Series so ratings will down of course...
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Blog Entries

I hate the Wild Card play-in game, and I always will. I couldn't care less about the TV ratings for the World Series though. The only teams I think have any shot at winning the World Series this year are the Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers and Braves, so if the ratings mean so much to you, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    The Tigers are very formidable too. Nobody matches their starting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The Tigers are very formidable too. Nobody matches their starting pitching.
    The same was said last year.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    JEDI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    The same was said last year.
    My point is that he said only those 4 other teams have a shot. The Tigers have as a good a chance to win the WS as any team, maybe better.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    My point is that he said only those 4 other teams have a shot. The Tigers have as a good a chance to win the WS as any team, maybe better.
    I don't know. They have good pitching, but with a 500-pound one-note third baseman leading the charge, I don't have much confidence.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    JEDI

Blog Entries
    Long term I think it is better for baseball to have small market teams involved not short term.

The change of season doesn't make the point of the thread any less valid.

Blog Entries
    It's hard to believe you used to have a team full of stars to make the playoffs. Nowadays you can have a couple of good players and win the World Series, its pretty sad. The As? Ive only heard of two people on their team, Coco Crisp, only because of his funny name, and Bartolo Colon, who i thought had retired 5 years ago until I just looked up the team roster. Wasnt he busted for steroids?

Compare this As team to some of the 1988-1990 teams, and compare this Braves team to some of the mid 1990s teams, and youll see my point. Minor, Medlen and Teheran just does not have the same intimidation factor as Maddux Glavine and Smoltz.
    Last edited by willshad; 10-03-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willshad View Post
    ... and compare this Braves team to some of the mid 1990s teams, and youll see my point. Minor, Medlen and Teheran just does not have the same intimidation factor as Maddux Glavine and Smoltz.
    Glavine, Maddux and Smoltz used to be "nobodies" and all three of them together was a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Don't throw Medlen, Minor and Teheran under the bus just because they don't have that "wow" factor yet.

Of course when the Braves first made the WS in 1991, they didn't have any big stars. Justice and Gant were young guys starting to make a name for themselves. Glavine just had his first big year and was relatively unknonw still. I still remember Rickey Henderson responding with an emphatic "who?" when told that Glavine was the NL All Star game starter. Smoltz wasn't really a star either.

Point is, maybe the young guys on the A's will have 4-5 perennial All Stars and HOFers that we don't know about yet.

I remember how shocked everybody was when the 2001 Pats "no-talent" Pats beat the Greatest Show on Turf with 5-6 HOFers. And of course the Pats went on to win 2 more titles the next 3 years.

Now yes, the more teams that get in, the fewer stars per team. I would agree with that as a general principal. But I don't think we can pick a young team and use it as our example.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Could you imagine the heads that would roll if a Rays/Pirates WS happened?

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast