Thread: The 100 Greatest Reds

The 100 Greatest Reds

Per John Erardi, Greg Rhodes, with a little help from Marty Brennaman.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...9030802&Ref=PH

I can't dispute a lot of these choices, but Jeff Brantley? I realize he comes in pretty low at #98, but still. Come on.

Also interesting how they rank the top 3: Morgan #1, Bench #2 (tie), Rose #2 (tie). I would have flipped Bench and Morgan personally, and not sure I wouldn't be tempted to move Frank Robinson (#4 on their list) up to #2.
    Last edited by hairmetalfreek; 10-23-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hairmetalfreek View Post
    Per John Erardi, Greg Rhodes, with a little help from Marty Brennaman.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...9030802&Ref=PH

I can't dispute a lot of these choices, but Jeff Brantley? I realize he comes in pretty low at #98, but still. Come on.

Also interesting how they rank the top 3: Morgan #1, Bench #2 (tie), Rose #2 (tie). I would have flipped Bench and Morgan personally, and not sure I wouldn't be tempted to move Frank Robinson (#4 on their list) up to #2.
    I think the Wrights should get asterisks, not the rankings they received. Interesting list, though. Sentiment carried the Old Lefthander a little higher than he should be, I'm afraid.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Mike Mitchell belongs in the top 100. He had 39 assists as a rightfielder in his rookie season of 1907. (The only time that that has been surpassed since 1900 was one year that Chuck Klein had 40 playing rightfield in Baker Bowl, where he had much less ground to cover than Mitchell did in the Palace of the Fans.) He led the NL in triples in his third and fourth seasons and was second in 1911. In six seasons with the Reds he hit .283 with 88 triples, 420 RBI, and 165 stolen bases, and had 135 outfield assists.