Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mariner's 2011 Off Season Thread

Possible Lineup for 2012:

1. Ichiro (RF) (hope he rebounds at least a little)
    2. Dustin Ackley (2B) - could hit .300, take some walks, learn to steal from Ich and can hit 15-20+ HR's
    3. Jesus Montero (C/DH) - A possible legit hitter, .300+ with upwards of 30 HR's!
    4. Mike Carp (LF/DH) - Decent Contact hitter with 25+ HR power
    5. Justin Smoak (1B) - Has shown some flashes of what he is capable of and if he can stay there, then we will all be happy! Just hope he can stay healthy.
    6. .....
    7. ....
    8. ....
    9. ....

Mariners sign Oliver Perez to a minor league deal.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ver-perez.html

I would like to extend my condolences.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

6.82 and 6.80 ERA in each of the past 2 seasons.... that's something to look forward to. Didn't we just get rid of Carlos Silva, why would we want to sign him again.

The top 100 prospects list has come out and the M's have 5 in the top 100. In fact, according to the crude mathematics done with the list, the Mariners have the highest aggregate score of 329 (aided by the new addition of #12 on the list, Jesus Montero).

The Padres had the most on the list with 6 but the 5 M's players ranked higher.

Check out the link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

I still think the Mariners should acquire Daniel Murphy from the Mets. The Mets need prospects and Murphy can get on base for the Mariners. He did miss all of 2010 due to injury and all of 2011 after a collision at second base in August.

His bat will definitely play, it’s more a matter of finding the position where he’ll do the least damage.

There seems to be more and more talk of moving Ichiro from the leadoff spot. MLB.com reporter posted the following possible lineup:

1. Dustin Ackley 2B
    2. Ichiro RF
    3. Carp LF
    4. Montero DH
    5. Smoak 1B
    6. Gutierrez CF
    7. Olivo C
    8. Seager 3B
    9. Ryan SS

Dare I say, just because I am sentimental, I think Ichiro should lead off at least for opening day...

Ken Rosenthal thinks Figgins should leadoff.

Ichiro no longer is one of the game's great leadoff hitters. Figgins still isn't fully comfortable as a No. 2 hitter. And the Mariners offense, for two seasons now, has been by far the worst in the American League.

Why not make a drastic change?

Wedge says he is leaning that way, and sounds intrigued by the idea of batting Figgins first, Dustin Ackley second and Ichiro third. Ackley, a left-handed hitter, is capable of driving the ball into the gaps, enabling the Mariners to score quickly if Figgins is on base.

Figgins, entering the third year of a four-year, $36 million contract, is a major investment — and major disappointment. But rather than give up on him, Wedge sounds intent on helping him revive.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/I...ff-spot-020812

.259/.340/.306 in 2010

.188/.241/.243 in 2011

Is Figgins really the next best choice to lead off? Not that I really think that Ackley is best suited for the position but he may just be the best we have. Sure, Figgins at 34 could come back from 2 bad seasons but I don't think it will be good enough to warrant having him lead off.

If Ichiro is not performing like old (which is a good chance unfortunately), then something has to give. But if Ich can find a happy medium at least somewhere between last season and his career norm or better, then he needs to be leading off still.

Here is a question, since we are starting the season in Tokyo, will Ichiro be leading off those games at least?

Ichiro will be batting 3rd this season!

Figgins and Ackley are fighting for the #1 and #2 spots in the order.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

I wish they had tried Ich in the 3 hole more in years past but I guess we shall see how this works out. Hoping Figgins will revert to his better hitting days with the Angels, otherwise we are for better lack of a good word, screwed.
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 02-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Why would you want to give the most PA to a guy with an OBP of .241? That this is even being considered as a possiblity is unfathomable.

Such utter lack of understanding of simple baseball statistics was inexcusable back in 1961 when Ralph Houk insisted on hitting Bobby Richardson leadoff despite his blatant inability to get on base. Despite playing in all 162 games and hitting in front of a couple of guys who hit 61 and 54 dongs apiece, Richardson with an OBP of .295 scored only 80 runs. To do it today, it is just beyond belief
    Last edited by Joltin' Joe; 02-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    Why would you want to give the most PA to a guy with an OBP of .241? That this is even being considered as a possiblity is unfathomable.

Such utter lack of understanding of simple baseball statistics was inexcusable back in 1961 when Ralph Houk insisted on hitting Bobby Richardson leadoff despite his blatant inability to get on base. Despite playing in all 162 games and hitting in front of a couple of guys who hit 61 and 54 dongs apiece, Richardson with an OBP of .295 scored only 80 runs. To do it today, it is just beyond belief
    I absolutely agree with that. I sabermetrics have shown us anything it is that high OBP is the key at the top of the lineup.

speed is nice to have but only if the OBP is even close. otherwise a slow high OBP guy is usually better than a fast guy with low OBP. you cannot steal first base.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Felix just finished up with his first official start of the spring. Take his first pitch out of the equation and he was perfect for 2 2/3 innings. Unfortunately his 1st batter was hit with his very first pitch. Still, he went 3 innings with no hits (though yes, 1 HBP), no walks and no runs as well as 4 Strikeouts!

Very glad to see that he seems to be in good form. As is Vargas as well as he pitched very nicely the other day too as he threw for 4 scoreless (and hitless) innings with 1 SO and no walks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12