X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dto7
    • Mar 2009

1916 Philadelphia Phillies

Top Row (L to R): Billy Maharg (Asst. Trainer), Dave Bancroft (SS), Billy Killefer (C), Stan Baumgartner (P), Fred Luderus (1B & Captain), Bobby Byrne (3B), Ben Tincup (P), Bob Gandy (OF), George McQuillan (P), Ed Kantlehner (P), Joe Oeschger (P), Wilbur Good (OF), Jack Adams (C), Mike Dee (Trainer)

Middle Row (L to R): Gavvy Cravath (RF), Ed Burns (C), Al Demaree (P), Oscar Dugey (2B), Pat Moran (Manager), Possum Whitted (LF), Milt Stock (3B), Claude Cooper (OF), George Chalmers (P)

Bottom Row (L to R): Erskine Mayer (P), Grover Alexander (P), Eddie Naughton (Mascot), Eppa Rixey (P), Dode Paskert (CF), Gary Fortune (P)
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dto7
      • Mar 2009

1934 Columbus Red Birds

Only Joe Sims and Ed Greer didn't play in the Big Leagues off of this team

A larger view of photo here

Back Row L-R: Ward Cross (P), Clarence Heise (P), Mickey Heath (1B,Capt.), Sugden (Coach), Bob Klinger (P), Gene Moore (OF), Ken O’Dea (C)

Middle Row L-R: Bakke (Trainer), Bill Sweeney (1B), Bud Teachout (P), Jumbo Elliott (P), Ed Greer (P), Ed Heusser (P), Joe Sims (P), Nick Cullop (OF), G. M. Trautman (President)

Front Row L-R: Hal Anderson (OF), Tom Angley (C), Lew Riggs (3B), Ray Blades (Mgr.,OF), Charlie Wilson (2B), Terry Moore (OF), Billy Myers (SS)

Mickey Heath, Jr. (Mascot)
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dto7
        • Mar 2009

Carl Furillo, Mike McCormick, Cal Abrams and George Shuba are looking at the new rookie Foster Pitching Arm for the 1949 season.
        Attached Files

Comment

• GaryL
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Dto7 View Post
          1916 Philadelphia Phillies

Top Row (L to R): Billy Maharg (Asst. Trainer), Dave Bancroft (SS), Billy Killefer (C), Stan Baumgartner (P), Fred Luderus (1B & Captain), Bobby Byrne (3B), Ben Tincup (P), Bob Gandy (OF), George McQuillan (P), Ed Kantlehner (P), Joe Oeschger (P), Wilbur Good (OF), Jack Adams (C), Mike Dee (Trainer)

Middle Row (L to R): Gavvy Cravath (RF), Ed Burns (C), Al Demaree (P), Oscar Dugey (2B), Pat Moran (Manager), Possum Whitted (LF), Milt Stock (3B), Claude Cooper (OF), George Chalmers (P)

Bottom Row (L to R): Erskine Mayer (P), Grover Alexander (P), Eddie Naughton (Mascot), Eppa Rixey (P), Dode Paskert (CF), Gary Fortune (P)
          Nice job on this one, Don.

Billy Maharg caught my attention immediately. I think that's the first time I've ever seen picture of Billy Maharg, who was implicated in the 1919 Black Sox scandal. I don't remember exactly what his role was, but he had some connection to one of the gambling factions that attempted to bribe the Sox. I think he was some sort of "go-between." Gene Carney had information on him in his book, Burying the Black Sox. I also remember it was thought "Maharg" was actually an alias for his realy name, which was Graham ("Graham" spelled backwards was "Maharg").
          Last edited by GaryL; 12-16-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Dto7
            • Mar 2009

Cleveland Indians 1951 Infield

L-R: Al Rosen (3B), Bob Avila (2B), Ray Boone (SS), Luke Easter (1B)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dto7; 12-16-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Dto7
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by GaryL View Post
              Nice job on this one, Don.

Billy Maharg caught my attention immediately. I think that's the first time I've ever seen picture of Billy Maharg, who was implicated in the 1919 Black Sox scandal. I don't remember exactly what his role was, but he had some connection to one of the gambling factions that attempted to bribe the Sox. I think he was some sort of "go-between." Gene Carney had information on him in his book, Burying the Black Sox. I also remember it was thought "Maharg" was actually an alias for his realy name, which was Graham ("Graham" spelled backwards was "Maharg").
              Thanks, Gary. Good call on Billy Maharg, just got done reading about him. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

• Bill Burgess
                • Oct 2003

Very, very nice thread, Don. I love these pristine, exquisitely-clear images. Makes our baseball culture look so current, as if they were taken recently. This creates that delightful illusion that the past is still with us, via these bridges to our cultural past. I am especially impressed when someone can get the non-players names when they are not provided for in a listing.

Nice job. Well done, Don! A most worthy addition to this forum, along with Gary's Boston Public Library Baseball Project.

This forum is making some really nice progress here.
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Dto7
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
                  Very, very nice thread, Don. I love these pristine, exquisitely-clear images. Makes our baseball culture look so current, as if they were taken recently. This creates that delightful illusion that the past is still with us, via these bridges to our cultural past. I am especially impressed when someone can get the non-players names when they are not provided for in a listing.

Nice job. Well done, Don! A most worthy addition to this forum, along with Gary's Boston Public Library Baseball Project.

This forum is making some really nice progress here.
                  Thanks, Bill. But the best work comes from you, BSmile and GaryL. Yes this forum is really looking good.

Comment

• Bill Burgess
                    • Oct 2003

Ah shucks, Don. You, Gary and BSmile are baseball's best-kept secret. Someday, we all will be known. Hope it happens while we're alive. You guys are my pride and joy, doing baseball proud.

Comment

• Dto7
                      • Mar 2009

Two Brooklyn Dodgers teams in satin uniforms

1949 Brooklyn Dodgers in satin uniforms

Larger view of 1949 team photo

Top Row, L-R: Harold Wendler (Trainer), Roy Campanella (C), Preacher Roe (P), Tommy Brown (OF), Don Newcombe (P), Jack Banta (P), Rex Barney (P), Ralph Branca (P), Duke Snider (OF)

Second Row, L-R: Eddie Durham (Ground-Keeper), John Griffin (Equipment Mgr.), Paul Miner (P), Sam Narron (Bullpen Catcher), Joe Hatten (P), Gil Hodges (1B), Erv Palica (P), Mike McCormick (OF), Eddie Miksis (3B), Jackie Robinson (2B), Harold Parrott (Road Secretary)

Third Row, L-R: Spider Jorgensen (3B), Bruce Edwards (C), Marv Rackley (OF), Jake Pitler (Coach), Barney Shotton (Mgr.), Clyde Sukeforth (Coach), Milt Stock (Coach), Dick Whitman (OF), Pee Wee Reese (SS), Carl Furillo (OF)

Sitting on grass, L-R: Luis Olmo (OF), Stanley Strull (Bat Boy), Carl Erskine (P), Carl Wesch (Ball Boy)
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Dto7
                        • Mar 2009

Starting Line-Up Each Hits A Home Run In Same Game

On August 19, 1958 the starting 9 of the Douglas Copper Kings each hit a home run in the game.

Story of the feat here
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dto7; 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Dto7
                          • Mar 2009

1957 San Francisco Seals

Last year of the Seals before The San Francisco Giants start Playing in San Francisco in 1958.

Large view of 1957 Seals here

Large view of 1947 Seals-Giants game

That is not the bat boy at the end of row two. It's Albie Pearson the American League Rookie of the Year 1958...all 5'5" and 140 lbs.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Dto7
                            • Mar 2009

1932 New York Yankees Infielders

Larger view of photo here

L-R: Doc Farrell, Frank Crosetti, Lyn Lary, Lou Gehrig, Joe Sewell, Tony Lazzeri
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dto7
                              • Mar 2009

New York Yankees Starting 9 First Game of the 1938 World Series

L-R: Frank Crosetti, Red Rolfe, Tommy Henrich, Joe DiMaggio, Bill Dickey, Lou Gehrig, George Selkirk, Joe Gordon, Red Ruffing
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Dto7
                                • Mar 2009

Former Detroit Tigers With The 1940 St. Louis Browns

L-R: George Susce, Roxie Lawson, Chet Laabs, Roy Cullenbine, Fred Haney, Elden Auker, Slick Coffman, Bob Harris, Vern Kennedy
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X