I understand the fans - casual or hardcore - and the media is as divided by Valentine as the clubhouse and staff and so there are a lot of bs arguments from both sides, but somebody please explain what the big fuss is about him not being allowed to hire his own staff?!?!
- Bogar, Tuck and Magadan were not chosen by him - Magadan is well respected not just within the organization but throughout mlb, and Tuck is even more respected and admired.
- McClure was already in the organization, but Valentine was already the manager when he got promoted to pitching coach - so Valentine had something to say about that.
- When Francona became manager he inherited a number of coaches, and that was never a problem.
- Valentine had the most success with the Mets after his guys were replaced with guys chosen by the FO.
- And finally, when was the last time you got a new job and were allowed to chose your entire team? Never? No, you took the job and made it work with the co-workers you didn't get to select, right?
But somehow all of this isn't Valentine's fault because, you know he didn't get to chose his own bench coach?! The Red Sox are now 6 games below .500. They will not only miss the playoffs but likely will finish the season with a losing record! But, yeah, this isn't Valentine's fault at all because, you know he didn't get to chose his own bench coach!
Seriously, can somebody explain this to me?
Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)
Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)