Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 765

Thread: Ryan Braun busted for PED use; faces 50 day ban

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    1,367
    How is this less detrimental to the game than Pete Rose betting on games?

    50 games isn't a deterrence when PEDs can get you a 100 million contract.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    The Wettest Part of the Ocean
    Posts
    5,958
    I am absolutely gutted by this news.
    When I read the story I was shocked, angry and disappointed all in one which surprises me slightly as I'm pretty much neutral on the whole PED issue.

    I will wait for more information to come out and the appeals process to be finalised before I say something I may regret later.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,398
    Who cares really?

    MLB would have you think we are in the "post steroid era". Its all b.s.. Players will take what they can take. Period. Some may get caught...many more will get away with it.

    I am tired of this steroid crap. I am tired about hearing about the 10 or so names we always hear about. Bonds, Mac, Sosa, etc etc etc...when thousands of player have used them. Until someone can tell me everyone that did it...I dont care about anyone that did.

    I suspect a bunch of players that I believe used steroids that their names have never come up. If I am right it would rip through baseball. I personally dont care what players took what. I know I am in the minority, but so be it.

    PED's have been in baseball for 50 years and great all time players have taken them. Names like Mays, Aaron, Mantle, and the list goes on. No you say? Read about baseball in the 50's and 60's when players were eating amphets like candy. What Amphets are not PED's? Really? Do they make you something your not? Yes they do. Alert, focused beyond belief.

    When someone takes Willie Mays' bust out of Cooperstown I will then and only listen to the knocks on the PED users of the 90's and 00's.

  4. #44
    As for the contract extension, I suspect it has a morals or some similar type of clause that I suspect the Brewers could use if he is found guilty.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Who cares really?

    MLB would have you think we are in the "post steroid era". Its all b.s.. Players will take what they can take. Period. Some may get caught...many more will get away with it.

    I am tired of this steroid crap. I am tired about hearing about the 10 or so names we always hear about. Bonds, Mac, Sosa, etc etc etc...when thousands of player have used them. Until someone can tell me everyone that did it...I dont care about anyone that did.

    I suspect a bunch of players that I believe used steroids that their names have never come up. If I am right it would rip through baseball. I personally dont care what players took what. I know I am in the minority, but so be it.

    PED's have been in baseball for 50 years and great all time players have taken them. Names like Mays, Aaron, Mantle, and the list goes on. No you say? Read about baseball in the 50's and 60's when players were eating amphets like candy. What Amphets are not PED's? Really? Do they make you something your not? Yes they do. Alert, focused beyond belief.

    When someone takes Willie Mays' bust out of Cooperstown I will then and only listen to the knocks on the PED users of the 90's and 00's.
    Riiiiiight.....and a cup of coffee changes your overall body mass equal to HGH.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Posts
    1,980
    Actually, this is a prefect example of why using this stuff IS bad for the game and IS a big deal and detrimental to sports in general... We have a situation where a guilty man won an MVP award he probably shouldn't have won anyway, by cheating, over a man who may be clean. Can anybody understand what I'm saying here or am I the last sane man in America? In some people's minds this means, "Oh well, what the hell, let 'em all cheat cuz who cares anyway"? Bullspit. If they let that guy keep that award knowing this then there has never been a bigger show of hypocrisy since all this crap broke. For some reason they all bent over backward to give this guy that award anyway. He never earned it and now he doesn't deserve it either. Matt Kemp, go claim your trophy. It's rightfully yours.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    14,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    As for the contract extension, I suspect it has a morals or some similar type of clause that I suspect the Brewers could use if he is found guilty.
    Found guilty of what? MLB is not a government court. There is a drug policy in the CBA that specifically states what will happen. For his first offense he will be suspended 50 games without pay. For his second offense it will be 100 games without pay and then if he trips up a third time a supposed "lifetime suspension". If the the courts convict him of using a prohibitive substance (but he never tests positive) his first conviction will get him 15 to 30 days, his second conviction a 30 to 90 day suspension, his third conviction at least a year, and his fourth conviction at least two years. After that the Commissioner will decide the punishment on any further convictions.

    So to sum it up, no the Brewers don't have a clause or loophole that is going to let them void Braun's contract.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    14,506
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    Actually, this is a prefect example of why using this stuff IS bad for the game and IS a big deal and detrimental to sports in general... We have a situation where a guilty man won an MVP award he probably shouldn't have won anyway, by cheating, over a man who may be clean. Can anybody understand what I'm saying here or am I the last sane man in America? In some people's minds this means, "Oh well, what the hell, let 'em all cheat cuz who cares anyway"? Bullspit. If they let that guy keep that award knowing this then there has never been a bigger show of hypocrisy since all this crap broke. For some reason they all bent over backward to give this guy that award anyway. He never earned it and now he doesn't deserve it either. Matt Kemp, go claim your trophy. It's rightfully yours.
    Numerous players in the NFL have won awards while also testing positive. They even did a revote after a guy came up positive and he still won the award.


    If it was possible to find out one way or the other I'd put a thousand bucks down on Matt Kemp using PEDs as well.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,768
    I'm betting WAY more players than we know of are using PEDs. With so much money on the line, you know guys are paying chemists to develop undectable strains of HGH, etc. But heck - the fans want an exciting game and MLB wants to fill the stadiums. I'm not sure I really have a problem with it, I just wish players wouldn't be so sneaky about it, like Braun and A-Roid. As long as there are millions on the line, PEDs will continue to be used - that's the bottom line.
    WAR? Prove it!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by tom3 View Post
    They knew he tested positive and gave him the MVP anyway? How???
    The simple answer being that the MVP was voted on by reporters before the playoffs, during which he tested positive.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

    "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by drstrangelove View Post
    Stunner!

    I will hold on to see if he made a stupid buy of something OTC. I really think well-paid players should be smarter than this. You can afford to higher people to select stuff for you and avoid this.

    Just to keep an open mind: it's possible he took something that was not properly labeled, etc. It's a black eye if it turns out to be something else.
    Yes, it's best to keep an open mind until the case is resolved. Innocent until proven guilty.

    But it sure looks bad.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

    "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by AJbaseball00024 View Post
    All the people who raked Reyes over the coals for pulling out of the game to preserve his batting average and win the batting title look crapfaced right now.
    Why? It was still the wrong way to play the game, regardless of what anyone else may or may not have done.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

    "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

  13. #53
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Numerous players in the NFL have won awards while also testing positive. They even did a revote after a guy came up positive and he still won the award.


    If it was possible to find out one way or the other I'd put a thousand bucks down on Matt Kemp using PEDs as well.
    You may be right. But he hasn't. One has and one hasn't....big difference. Also, please don't compare the NFL. Most hard core football fans don't even care about steroid use. Mention steroid user in the sports world and you hear Bonds, Palmeiro, McGwire etc., never the name of some 6'5" 397 lb. guy who runs a 4.4 40 and plays plays on team X's offensive line. We know all those guys are using. Hell, in the town I live in my nephew told me at least 50% of his high school football team uses them. Am I to believe that by college or the NFL, suddenly they get a conscience? They seem to welcome it. The testing is a joke anyway and if anyone wants to use the stuff and mask it, they can.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    You may be right. But he hasn't. One has and one hasn't....big difference. Also, please don't compare the NFL. Most hard core football fans don't even care about steroid use. Mention steroid user in the sports world and you hear Bonds, Palmeiro, McGwire etc., never the name of some 6'5" 397 lb. guy who runs a 4.4 40 and plays plays on team X's offensive line. We know all those guys are using. Hell, in the town I live in my nephew told me at least 50% of his high school football team uses them. Am I to believe that by college or the NFL, suddenly they get a conscience? They seem to welcome it. The testing is a joke anyway and if anyone wants to use the stuff and mask it, they can.
    Yes, kind of hypocritical, isn't it?
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

    "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,916
    what is the significance level of the drug tests...99% or 95%? I only ask because while reading the article and realized that nobody has ever fought and beat a ruling...yet there have been around 30-35 suspensions and probably thousands of tests overall since they began testing which if we are testing at 95% or even 99% then we can expect at least a few false positives.

    Not saying this is the case, but I feel it is strange that we treat the tests like they are 100% accurate, and the league treats it as though it is 100% accurate yet we know through the scientific method that it is not at all 100% accurate.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

    -Bill James

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    You may be right. But he hasn't. One has and one hasn't....big difference. Also, please don't compare the NFL. Most hard core football fans don't even care about steroid use. Mention steroid user in the sports world and you hear Bonds, Palmeiro, McGwire etc., never the name of some 6'5" 397 lb. guy who runs a 4.4 40 and plays plays on team X's offensive line. We know all those guys are using. Hell, in the town I live in my nephew told me at least 50% of his high school football team uses them. Am I to believe that by college or the NFL, suddenly they get a conscience? They seem to welcome it. The testing is a joke anyway and if anyone wants to use the stuff and mask it, they can.
    I know you are using hyperbole to make a point...but this always bugs me....there has never been a 6'5'' 397 LB guy who has run a 4.4 40. There have only been a handful of guys who have been anywhere near 397 lbs. The heaviest person I have ever heard of that ran around a 4.4 was Jevan Kearse who was something like 265.

    The same goes when people mention 300lb linebackers (also do not exist).
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

    -Bill James

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Anywhere, but here
    Posts
    4,959
    Quote Originally Posted by nt07077 View Post
    Give Kemp his MVP. Ban him for life.

    Why would they give Kemp the MVP and then ban him for life? lol
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg1dj View Post
    what is the significance level of the drug tests...99% or 95%? I only ask because while reading the article and realized that nobody has ever fought and beat a ruling...yet there have been around 30-35 suspensions and probably thousands of tests overall since they began testing which if we are testing at 95% or even 99% then we can expect at least a few false positives.

    Not saying this is the case, but I feel it is strange that we treat the tests like they are 100% accurate, and the league treats it as though it is 100% accurate yet we know through the scientific method that it is not at all 100% accurate.
    Do we? I'm not a scientist. Are you?
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

    "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

  19. #59
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Posts
    1,980
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg1dj View Post
    I know you are using hyperbole to make a point...but this always bugs me....there has never been a 6'5'' 397 LB guy who has run a 4.4 40. There have only been a handful of guys who have been anywhere near 397 lbs. The heaviest person I have ever heard of that ran around a 4.4 was Jevan Kearse who was something like 265.

    The same goes when people mention 300lb linebackers (also do not exist).
    Bruce Campbell, Maryland, 6-7, 310, tackle. Dazzled scouts at the combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds. If you can forgive the hyperbole, you get the point.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    Bruce Campbell, Maryland, 6-7, 310, tackle. Dazzled scouts at the combine when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds. If you can forgive the hyperbole, you get the point.
    That's neither a linebacker, nor anywhere near 397 lbs.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

    "Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •