Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Braun busted for PED use; faces 50 day ban

Caffeine is performance enhancing for cycling.

It is also performance enhancing for finance and law. So is adderal.

Physically steroids could help but agree with Steve on painkillers. Plus players can have surgeries that allow them to player longer and better than before. Legal drugs and supplements can have similar effects to the ones that are banned.

I used to lift and Argenine and creatine were big boosts. Nothing illegal but a definite aid. A PED.

What about glasses, contacts, or lasik?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    I seem to recall that Barry Bonds and Harold Baines had lasik surgery. I have not researched this. If any BBF poster has good information regarding this I would be interested.

It IS complicated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post

Physically steroids could help but agree with Steve on painkillers. Plus players can have surgeries that allow them to player longer and better than before. Legal drugs and supplements can have similar effects to the ones that are banned.

I used to lift and Argenine and creatine were big boosts. Nothing illegal but a definite aid. A PED.
    Caffeine improved my cycling speed but sapped my endurance with calf cramps. My use of it was coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
    Caffeine improved my cycling speed but sapped my endurance with calf cramps. My use of it was coincidental.
    Caffeine is a stimulant and that's why it can get you in trouble with regards to drug testing. But it also dehydrates you...
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

I seem to recall that Barry Bonds and Harold Baines had lasik surgery. I have not researched this. If any BBF poster has good information regarding this I would be interested.

It IS complicated.
    I'm not sure if lasik can improve to 20/10. But I know it can be improved to better than the average vision of 20/20. Supposedly Tiger Woods was improved to 20/15 from a around 20/2000. If vision could be improved to 20/10, that is a huge advantage in baseball. I'm sure that was one of the factors that made Ted Williams and Babe Ruth what they were.

Even if true, not banned.I see nothing wrong with such if it is available to all and unlike PED's not banned.

What is the question Joe, are you asking if they aid much or are you asking if they are acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    What is the question Joe, are you asking if they aid much or are you asking if they are acceptable.
    Half being a wise guy, but in a insignificant way, a little serious. If Ted Williams or Babe Ruth had average eyesight (20/20), they would not have been as great. Clearly (no pun intended), their phenomenal vision was part of their skills. I understand lasik is perfectly legal, but isn't it just as performance enhancing (and perhaps more) as some substances that are banned?

Half being a wise guy, but in a insignificant way, a little serious. If Ted Williams or Babe Ruth had average eyesight (20/20), they would not have been as great. Clearly (no pun intended), their phenomenal vision was part of their skills. I understand lasik is perfectly legal, but isn't it just as performance enhancing (and perhaps more) as some substances that are banned?
    It may be but again, I wouldn't have a problem with any player using any procedure that any other player could experience.
    In other word, player A uses PEDs and player B does not like that, feel it gives the other player an advantage, but he plays by the rules, can't do the same without feeling guilt or getting caught.
    Not the same with anything not banned, available to all with no penalty, not a problem.

It may be but again, I wouldn't have a problem with any player using any procedure that any other player could experience.
    In other word, player A uses PEDs and player B does not like that, feel it gives the other player an advantage, but he plays by the rules, can't do the same without feeling guilt or getting caught.
    Not the same with anything not banned, available to all with no penalty, not a problem.
    I agree with you there. Lasik is not only not banned, it is perfectly legal. The fact that it may be even more benefitial than PED is a whole different argument.

It IS complicated.
    Boggs had lasix for the sole purpose of improving his then 20/20 vision. It is 100% performance enhancing.

So if a player knows an umpire called a strike a ball should he call himself out and sit down?

What bulldog said, you did not hydrate enough.

I did a ride with a guy a couple of years ago who was done by mile 55 of a 65 mile ride. Nothing competitive. Gave him some Accel gel. Basically carb with some Argenine. Got to the finish strong.

Even if true, not banned.I see nothing wrong with such if it is available to all and unlike PED's not banned.
    So your criteria on what is good and bad is arbitrary?

I'm going to the grocery store RIGHT NOW to get some caffeine, Tylenol, Creatine, etc. I'm gonna be a superstar!! Anyone know what aisle the illegal PED's are in? Coffee is in aisle 8, I know that, next to the Pop Tarts and across from the Cheerios.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    I'm going to the grocery store RIGHT NOW to get some caffeine, Tylenol, Creatine, etc. I'm gonna be a superstar!! Anyone know what aisle the illegal PED's are in? Coffee is in aisle 8, I know that, next to the Pop Tarts and across from the Cheerios.
    OLD FUDDY DUDDY!

Red Bull baby. Red Bull.

(and all of it's progeny, 5 hour, etc. etc.)

Slacker.

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    OLD FUDDY DUDDY!

Red Bull baby. Red Bull.

(and all of it's progeny, 5 hour, etc. etc.)

Slacker.
    My little cousin's little league coach told all the players to drink a Red Bull before every game and parents were SCANDALIZED!!!!!

He was like 12 years old at the time, if I recall.

All legal, and not even in the same class as legal chemicals... And nowhere near the same class as illegal substances.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Boggs had lasix for the sole purpose of improving his then 20/20 vision. It is 100% performance enhancing.
    Lasik is legal in the United States and approved by Major League Baseball. That, sir, is the distinction.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    So now we're equating pain killers and anti-inflammatories with steroids? Where does it stop?
    We always end up with this same utter nonsense every time the subject comes up.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    So now we're equating pain killers and anti-inflammatories with steroids? Where does it stop? What about caffiene? Obviously a PED, right?

Apparently not until we've touched on legal eye surgeries.

San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    Caffeine is a stimulant and that's why it can get you in trouble with regards to drug testing. But it also dehydrates you...
    So if a player knows an umpire called a strike a ball should he call himself out and sit down?
    I wonder what the % of pitchers using pain killers and anti-inflammatory medication is? Bloody sock anyone?

stevegallanter.wordpress.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    It's just when you reach a certain amount. "A cup of coffee" is not going to be a problem. It's if you had 10 cups of coffee that you added additional caffiene to, then you might run into a problem..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Does this include just plain coffee?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Not what I said or meant Yankee.
    The subject that came up was what about Lasik surgery................my answer if it's not banned and any player can use that, there can't be any problem.
    Certainly can't be in the same class a PEDs which are banned.
    Not sure I get your question.

Can we get serious.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast