Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Braun busted for PED use; faces 50 day ban

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    What do you do to the cheats that knowingly take a walk when they really struck out?
    Cheer him if he's on my team and try to pick him off if he's not. After all, the ump will make some mistakes in FAVOR of my team as well, AND make FEWER mistakes than the players you want calling their own pitches will make. It's not as if a pitch on the corner is triple sealed with forensic tape in the presence of the pitcher eliminating any problems or misinterpretation like Braun's sample was sealed forensically with his assistance, arrived just as it did the last time Braun held it.

Laced with synthetic testosterone.

But, just for fun, leTs say the ump calls BALL FOUR. Ryan Braun says, "Blue, that was on the black, ring me up." The Umpire does just that. But, on the way out of the batters box, Yadier Molina says, "Hold up Mr. Braun, that pitch was wide by a bit. Take your base sir". Braun turns around and heads toward first. Then, Jason Motte the Cards Pitcher says, "no, that was on the black guaranteed."

Should they call you to decide? Maybe get an arbitrator??
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by Joltin' Joe View Post
    What about when the umpire is wrong and they get punched out on a pitch out of the strike zone?
    You mean the catcher doesn't hold his hand, overrule the umpire, and skip with the newly overjoyed batter down to first, hug him, wish him luck and let the Pitcher know it's gonna be ok?

I swear I've seen this a hundred times...
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

It's official: the "Cheating To Lose" notion has been eclipsed.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"It is not easy to be near your best every single day. Some would even say itís impossible. Weíre all just human beings. But itís not impossible. Henry Aaron did it." - Joe Posnanski

What about when the umpire is wrong and they get punched out on a pitch out of the strike zone?
    Well if we are pretending this game is about honor the pitcher and catcher should ask him to take a walk.

Stan,
    So then your objection is arbitrary?
    If not then why is this the only complaint. You argue both sides.

Well if we are pretending this game is about honor the pitcher and catcher should ask him to take a walk.
    I think YOU are pretending the game is about honor. Has anyone else even typed the word? This is the first time for me in this thread I believe.

You know why many people view PED use differently that stealing a sign, corking a bat, scuffing a ball etc? There are ZERO in game tests for PED use. Doctoring a ball or a bat, etc... The players and umpires can police that themselves effectively and efficiently. Braun's failed test did not require a sample in the on deck circle, results indicating elevated synthetic testosterone and a trip back to the bench. In many ways, PED use is far, FAR more sinister and damaging to the game on the field than 1,000 spitballs and every phantom tag of all time.
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 03-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    It's official: the "Cheating To Lose" notion has been eclipsed.
    Why don't you have a smoke. It worked for Aaron.
    Last edited by Steven Gallanter; 03-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Good for you.

That notion is still absurd, for reasons people here have written about ad nauseum.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"It is not easy to be near your best every single day. Some would even say itís impossible. Weíre all just human beings. But itís not impossible. Henry Aaron did it." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    I think YOU are pretending the game is about honor. Has anyone else even typed the word? This is the first time for me in this thread I believe.

You know why many people view PED use differently that stealing a sign, corking a bat, scuffing a ball etc? There are ZERO in game tests for PED use. Doctoring a ball or a bat, etc... The players and umpires can police that themselves effectively and efficiently. Braun's failed test did not require a sample in the on deck circle, results indicating elevated synthetic testosterone and a trip back to the bench. In many ways, PED use is far, FAR more sinister and damaging to the game on the field than 1,000 spitballs and every phantom tag of all time.
    Other than you repeating that why?

How is that more damaging to the game than in game "cheating"?

How is it more damaging to the game than painkillers? Or modern medical procedures if they are damaging? Or natural supplements?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    Good for you.

That notion is still absurd, for reasons people here have written about ad nauseum.
    Are weight clauses in contracts "absurd"? Do you think a MLB player has an obligation to be fit for his contract, MLB, team, teammates, fans and himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
    Are weight clauses in contracts "absurd"? Do you think a MLB player has an obligation to be fit for his contract, MLB, team, teammates, fans and himself?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You suck it up and take it like a man. That's baseball. Or maybe, just maybe, you swing if it's close (something I'm sure we were all taught as kids, but seems to be lost on most Major Leaguers).
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    You suck it up and take it like a man. That's baseball. Or maybe, just maybe, you swing if it's close (something I'm sure we were all taught as kids, but seems to be lost on most Major Leaguers).
    Umm...thanks, but this was a rhetorical question.

Other than you repeating that why?

How is that more damaging to the game than in game "cheating"?

How is it more damaging to the game than painkillers? Or modern medical procedures if they are damaging? Or natural supplements?

Why is it more damaging? The rules of the game says it is, for one reason. Unless you disagree with the punishments MLB hands out for various trangressions?

Make yourself aware of the PENALTIES awarded players for the following trangressions (if any). "penalties" being anything handed out by MLB, or anything the players do themselves to police the game (chin music, etc). Then ask your "why is it more damaging question" again if you're still unsure.

Stealing a sign with the naked eye while leading off second and relaying it to the hitter
    Doing something similar from the dugout
    Doing something similar from the stands with electronic devices, telescopes and additional people involved giving signals to batters
    Allowing your follow through to interfere ever so slightly with the catcher when missing the ball swigning on a hit and run - but not enough to get an interference call
    Doing the same, and interfering on purpose, hoping the ump does not call it
    Phantom tags
    Pretending you caught the ball when you trapped it
    Scuffing a ball
    Corking a bat
    Gambling on the game
    Taking a "greenie" style pick me up pill before game 12 in 13 nights during a West Coast Road Trip
    Doing the same before 100+ out of 162 games
    Taking three Tylenol in the fifth inning because your back hurts
    Lasik Surgery
    Getting a massage on anything that's sore
    taking a soak in the hot tub after the game
    Taking HGH, Synthetic Testosterone, The Cream, The Clear, or any other hardcore PED.
    Taking other substances that are illegal on every square inch of land in this country, including players gym, home, clubhouse, etc.
    Jogging down to first when the umpire calls ball four and you think it was strike three, but not saying a thing about it and the whole park thinks you thought it was outside.

They are not all 50 game suspensions. If that's not enought of an answer, don't bother looking for a response from me to a similar question or follow up...
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 03-08-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    You got that right Bum, I can't believe this one is still alive.
    I gave up some time ago.

I won't look for a response because you do not have one.

Giving me different arbitrary penalties does not say why?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    The horse is NOT dead! It is enjoying chicken and beer in the Red Sox clubhouse.

Bring it home, folks. While the ramifications of what the decision means and what could/could not count toward cheating is relevant in my moderator mind, the thread is turning too much into a spitting contest. The steroid is cheating/not cheating/cheat to lose debate has never gone anywhere and needs to stop. Thanks.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Bring it home, folks. While the ramifications of what the decision means and what could/could not count toward cheating is relevant in my moderator mind, the thread is turning too much into a spitting contest. The steroid is cheating/not cheating/cheat to lose debate has never gone anywhere and needs to stop. Thanks.
    Well said, CCN! I for one am content at this point to sit and wait for Shyam Das to release his report. Once that happens... let the games begin.
    "I can see how he won twenty-five games. What I don't understand is how he lost five." - Yogi Berra on Sandy Koufax's 1963 season.

It will be very interesting to see what Sham Das has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenorman View Post
    Well said, CCN! I for one am content at this point to sit and wait for Shyam Das to release his report. Once that happens... let the games begin.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what Sham Das has to say.
    When is that going to happen, by the way?
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

'Roidhead Ryno struggling. Only two hits so far all Spring training. Tends to happen when you have to play the game like a
    human being, not a juiced up lab monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyj51 View Post
    'Roidhead Ryno struggling. Only two hits so far all Spring training. Tends to happen when you have to play the game like a
    human being, not a juiced up lab monkey.
    Yeah, two hits in 19 at bats. What an awful, awful player Braun must be now.

...and just two weak singles. Bat just doesn't have the same 'ol pop without
    those 'roids.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyj51 View Post
    ...and just two weak singles. Bat just doesn't have the same 'ol pop without
    those 'roids.
    Yes, dealing with non-stop press and court issues is really the best way for a player to spend the off-season, isn't it?

But, hey, keep thinking that if it makes you feel better.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 03-24-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Small edit

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast