Martin died in October, though due to the commonness of his name and the short length of his career, his death unfortunately did not go noticed until now.

It was, as Major League Baseball careers go, brief -- only seven games with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1955.

But that short-lived tenure was a major part of the mystique surrounding Paul Charles "Jake" Martin Jr., a promising pitcher from Fayette City who died Oct. 11 at age 79 in San Diego, where he had lived for nearly 50 years.

"Jake had the tools for the big leagues, no question about it," said Jack Young, a native of Fayette City now living in Shepherdstown, W.Va.. "My brother Bob and I have a lot of great memories about watching him play."
Read more:

Strincevich had the best years of his career with the Pirates, winning 40 games from 1944 to 1946.

NICK STRINCEVICH VALPARAISO, IN Nick Strincevich, age 96, of Valparaiso, passed away Friday, November 11, 2011 at Life Care Center. He was born March 1, 1915 in Gary to Luis and Karolina (Chlapcic) Strycovic.

On November 14, 1936 in Valparaiso he married Mary Ciesielski, who preceded him in death in 1999.

Survivors include two children: Carol (Les) Perino of Valparaiso and Nick M. (Lourine) Strincevich of Marion, IN; three granddaughters: Lori (Jack) Manushaw, Cheryl (Alan) Passe, and Lisa (Patrick) Frey; four great granddaughters: Amber, Ashley, Samantha, and Jenna; and two great grandsons: Alan Jr. and Nicholas.

In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by brother, Joe; infant brother, Michael; two sisters: Ann Bauer and Daisy Mance.

Nick began a pitching career in major league baseball in 1940 after being recruited to the New York Yankees from Gary's "Twilight League." Following a stint in the Yankee farm system, he was drafted by the Boston Bees and was managed by Casey Stengel.

In 1941 Nick was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was selected to represent the National League in the 1945 All-Star game, but due to war-time travel restrictions the game was cancelled.

After retiring from the Philadelphia Phillies in 1948, Nick went to work at the Budd Plant in Gary, retiring in 1980 as Safety Supervisor.
Read more: