Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 International scouting and Red Sox signing

hey Scaff, I was wondering how many changes the Red Sox' Latin American scouting department has seen and what you think about them or what further changes should be made.

When I look at the Yankees top prespects, I see Montero (signed for 2m), Gary Sanchez (3m), Many Banuelos (450k), and even Hector Noesi, who helped bring them Pineda (and Campos).
    In the meantime, the Sox' biggest acquisition from LA is a bit of a question mark (Iglesias, signed for 6m). Of course, they also got Bogaerts, which some evaluators see as our top prospect (and they also got Doubront, Pimentel and Tejeda, who are decent prospects).
    But obviously the Yankees' LA scouting has prosuced a lot better! And other teams have easily outproduced the Sox in that regard too (e.g. the Rangers with Profar, Perez, Martin, Odor etc).

I'm aware that, as with any prospect, how prospects in the international market turn out has a lot to do with luck (some pan out and others don't). And if I remember correctly the Sox were in heavy on Montero who chose to sign with the Yanks instead. But clearly, the Sox have to do better in LA!
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 01-15-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    hey Scaff, I was wondering how many changes the Red Sox' Latin American scouting department has seen and what you think about them or what further changes should be made.

When I look at the Yankees top prespects, I see Montero (signed for 2m), Gary Sanchez (3m), Many Banuelos (450k), and even Hector Noesi, who helped bring them Pineda (and Campos).
    In the meantime, the Sox' biggest acquisition from LA is a bit of a question mark (Iglesias, signed for 6m). Of course, they also got Bogaerts, which some evaluators see as our top prospect (and they also got Doubront, Pimentel and Tejeda, who are decent prospects).
    But obviously the Yankees' LA scouting has prosuced a lot better! And other teams have easily outproduced the Sox in that regard too (e.g. the Rangers with Profar, Perez, Martin, Odor etc).

I'm aware that, as with any prospect, how prospects in the international market turn out has a lot to do with luck (some pan out and others don't). And if I remember correctly the Sox were in heavy on Montero who chose to sign with the Yanks instead. But clearly, the Sox have to do better in LA!
    There has been only minor changes only, but of course everything takes time. There aren't any questions that the Red Sox Latin America scouting hasn't been to par with the Yankees, Rangers, Seatle and even with Toronto lately, but there is more to it than that, the Red Sox has traded high ceiling Latin players early in their development, I am talking about players like Mendez. Beltre, Francisco, Socolovitch and now Alcantara they have to be more patient with them.

Blog Entries
    It was believed that Panamanians Carlos Bermudez (RHP) and Pablo Urena (Catcher) where going to be available at July second 2011 date, however that wasn't the case and they won't be available until July 2012. Bermudez at 6-7 205 is a very projectable high ceiling who was throwing 85 early in 2011. Middle infielder Hector De la Cruz and first baseman Antonio Franco are also Panamanians to follow for the 2012 July second date.

Blog Entries
    The Dominican Prospect League is reporting that that Toronto have signed 16 yrs Dominican short stop Ronniel Demorizi. Demorizi 6-0 170 switch hitter signed for $105,000 bonus.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scaffolds View Post
    It was believed that Panamanians Carlos Bermudez (RHP) and Pablo Urena (Catcher) where going to be available at July second 2011 date, however that wasn't the case and they won't be available until July 2012. Bermudez at 6-7 205 is a very projectable high ceiling who was throwing 85 early in 2011. Middle infielder Hector De la Cruz and first baseman Antonio Franco are also Panamanians to follow for the 2012 July second date.
    Do you know why they were not available for 2011?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Do you know why they were not available for 2011?
    If i would had to take a guess it would had been because some miss undertandings in the players age.

Blog Entries
    According to BA Cuban defector Onilkis Garcia would be MLB 2012 draft elegible instead of a free agency, however he was also 2011 draft elegible for a couple days before taken out of the 2011 draft, so we need to see what would happen by the draft. Garcia a 22 yrs LHP 6-3 225 has a 89-93 fastball that tops out at 94.
    Last edited by scaffolds; 01-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Cuba's 2010 JR national team had more MLB prospects than the well known 2008's (Jose Iglesias team) squad. Yasiel Balaguert has signed with the Cubs, highly regarded prospects Jorge Soler and Omar Luis, along with Marco Barros all defected from that squad and are waiting to sign profesional contracts in the Dominican. In Cuba outfielder Guillermo Aviles is a star in the makings, short stop Yamil Rivalta and catcher Darien Nunez isn't much behind Aviles, second baseman Andy Ibanes, third baseman lazaro Hernandez, catcher Daniel Crespo and pitchers Eddyalb Valentin,Yosibel Castillo not only held their own in Cuba's national series as teenagers in a league dominated by players in their late 20's and 30's but are players to keep an eye on them as possible defectors in the near future.

Blog Entries
    Who is the Cuban shortstop that started I think in the Baseball World Cup in Panama? He is a teenager.

Blog Entries
    Who is the Cuban shortstop that started I think in the Baseball World Cup in Panama? He is a teenager.
    What year? Are you talking about Erisbel Arrebarruena? If you are, i believe that he is 21 yrs.

Blog Entries
    What year? Are you talking about Erisbel Arrebarruena? If you are, i believe that he is 21 yrs.
    Yes. I thought he was younger. How talented is he?

Blog Entries
    Yes. I thought he was younger. How talented is he?
    Yes Erisbel Arrebarruena is very talented.

Blog Entries
    Reports from the DPL are that the Giants have signed Dominican pitcher Michael Santos for a $250,000 signing bonus and that the A's have signed 16 yrs Dominican short stop Yairo Munoz for a $280,000 bonus. Nunez a switch hitting is 6-0 170
    Last edited by scaffolds; 01-25-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    According to MLB Cuban defector Cespedez can start receiving bids to sign a profesional contract.

What do you think are the chances that Soler signs with the Sox? Do you hear anything rumors regarding Soler? Is there any player from latin america out there better than Soler?
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    What do you think are the chances that Soler signs with the Sox? Do you hear anything rumors regarding Soler? Is there any player from latin america out there better than Soler?
    Well, first of all Soler is 19 yrs compare to the top the other top Latin American prospects who are 16 yrs (the 3 years difference make a lot of difference physically) in addition Soler is also a lot more experienced having played in different international tournaments, having siad that yes Soler is the top Latin America prospect at this time. The Red Sox are in the mix to sign Soler.

Well, first of all Soler is 19 yrs compare to the top the other top Latin American prospects who are 16 yrs (the 3 years difference make a lot of difference physically) in addition Soler is also a lot more experienced having played in different international tournaments, having siad that yes Soler is the top Latin America prospect at this time. The Red Sox are in the mix to sign Soler.
    Thanks! I really hope the Sox sign him (so long as it won't require a major league deal)!

Blog Entries
    The mets have signed Venezuelan LHP Adrian Almeida. The Red Sox had a chance to look at Almeida.

Blog Entries
    According to the DPL the Tigers have signed Domican outfielder Ignacio Valdez. Valdez 6-3 185 right handed hitter and thrower signed for a $285,000 bonus.

Blog Entries
    According to sources Cespedes will be taking atour of Miami, Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Washington (not Boston, New York or Toronto) as soon as legal papers are finalized. These organizations are finals for his signing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast