Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 IP Success

Quote Originally Posted by Allie Fox View Post
    Last night I attended the Mercer University First Pitch Classic with guest speaker Chipper Jones.

Last year John Smoltz was the speaker and he was pretty good, giving a typical motivational-type speech. Chipper was much different. He really didn't have much to say other than a few words about his personal life and his connection to Macon, Georgia (where he played Single A ball for a year). What was cool was that he opened the floor for questions and was pretty jovial.

I was able to ask about his mentors when he was a young player (he named Terry Pendleton as his biggest influence). I also told him that as a Mets fan, my best comlpliment to him was to say how much I hated to watch him play in NY. He laughed a good bit at that and repeatedly pointed me out as "the Mets Guy over here" whenever he referred to his great moments (many of which were at Shea Stadium.)

Anyway. He signed a ball for my six year old.
    Great story "mets Guy"

Alay Soler, on his 06 Fleer Tradition card
    Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
    Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
    Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlondon View Post
    Went to the Braves Caravan in Chattanooga tn today. waited in the cold for 4 hours but well worth it. Got Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, Cory Gearrin, and new hitting coach Greg Walker. All of them were really cool and took the time to talk to the fans as they signed, made eye contact with everyone and really seemed to enjoy seeing us. Heyward and Freeman really enteracted with all of us, cutting up and laughing. My daughter really loved it and had a great time as she is a HUGE Heyward fan. Its been a great caravan for the braves fans this year.
    That sounds pretty cool. Someone asked Chipper about the crowd at his Atlanta appearance. There were people lining up since the day before to see him, McCann, Fredi and others. They actually started early adn still had to turn some away.
    He said it was great to be appreciated like that. He said he'd be afraid if they didn't want his autograph.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

At a Cuban players game early afternoon this past Saturday (all on cards):

-Orlando "El Duke" Hernandez
    -Alex Sanchez x 2
    -Amauri Sanit
    -Hansel Izquierdo
    -Rolando Viera
    -Jorge Diaz

Later on that afternoon at University of Miami Alumni game (also all on cards):

-Alex Fernandez
    -Chris Perez
    -Jon Jay
    -Jemile Weeks
    -Brian Barton
    -Oscar Muñoz
    -Gus Gandarillas
    -Lou Palmisano
    -Zeke Devoss
    -Peter O'Brien

Chris Perez is by far the nicest and most down to earth player I've met, and a cool nugget: he signs with his left hand, I was surprised I was the only one that picked up on it, he told me he is a "lefty writer and a righty thrower"

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Barbaro Cañizares, on his 09 Topps Update rookie card.

Adrian Nieto, on his 08 Bowman Draft Prospects card.

At the MLB Alumni table @ Rays Fan Fest on Saturday. All but one are card blowups and are in blue Sharpie except where noted.

Jim Archer: Post Cereals '62. Black ballpoint
    Glenn Beckert: Topps '66
    Alan Brice: '61 ChiSox posed shot
    Jose Cardenal: Topps '66. Black Sharpie. Said he always liked the pic.
    Casey Cox: Topps '71
    Jeff D'Amico: Topps '02
    Orestes Destrade: Donruss Triple Play '94. Tells me he's never really seeen that card. Also agreed with me that the new Marlin uniforms really suck.
    Dick Drago: Topps '73
    Rich Folkers: Topps '73
    Ken Frailing: Topps '75
    Wayne Garrett: Topps '76
    Roberto Hernandez: Donruss Triple Play '94
    Bruce Howard: Topps Rookie '64. Black ballpoint
    Tom Hume: Topps '87
    Eric Knott: Donruss Sig Series ‘01
    Darold Knowles: Topps '78
    Ron LeFlore: Topps '76
    Buck Martinez: Topps '76
    Andy McGaffigan: Fleer '90
    Bill Nahorodny: Topps '76
    Tom Niedenfuer: Topps '84
    John O'Donoghue: Topps '71
    Jim Perry: Topps/The Sporting News All Star ’61
    Travis Phelps: Fleer Premium Prospect '02
    Bryan Rekar: Topps Chrome '01
    Jason Romano: Bowman Chrome '99
    Richie Scheinblum: Topps '73
    Jim Stewart: Topps Rookie '64. Black ballpoint
    Anthony Telford: Upper Deck '91
    Brian Tollberg: Upper Deck Exclusive Silver '01
    Doug Waechter: Upper Deck Upper Deck '06
    Mark Whiten: Fleer '91
    Scott Winchester: Pacific Online back ‘98

Signed the poster provided by the MLB Alumni: Billy Demars, Eric Knott, Carl Boles, Bill Hepler, Dave LaPoint, Steve Korcheck, Orestes Destrade, Bruce Howard, Dick Drago, Dick Lines, Jim Archer, Darold Knowles. Archer and Howard signed with black ballpoint; Korcheck signed with black Sharpie.
    Last edited by SDL; 02-18-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

At the Braves Caravan in Macon:
    OLB3's from:
    Craig Kimbrel
    Eddie Perez
    Randall Delgado

I am also coolmoors on fanmail.biz.
    I am jhey99's son on Pat Neshek's message board.
    Trusted buyers, sellers, and traders: Rockhound, MadHatter, kearns643, EmergencyCatcher, and hudsonharden

At Phillies camp: Ryne Sandberg 8 x 10 blowup of his Donruss/McDonald’s MVP ’92 card. Added "HOF '02" inscription.

Sandberg was the only one I could get. Everybody else I wanted to get came out of the other players entrance. I'm going to have to learn how to split myself in two

Joey Cora from Marlins camp today.

At the Phillies camp in Clearwater. all are 8 x 10 card blowuos in black Sharpie except where noted.

Greg Gross: Topps '89
    Charlie Kerfeld: Donruss '86, Fleer '86, Topps '86
    Brian Schneider: Topps Allen & Ginter '08
    Tuffy Gosewisch: 3 action shots from 2011 Pam Am Games (including a screesnhot I made)

Marlins Fan Fest today, all on cards:

Greg Dobbs x2
    Gaby Sanchez
    Chris Coghlan
    Kevin Mattison
    Matt Dominguez
    Scott Cousins
    Bryan Petersen
    Mark Buehrle
    Carlos Zambrano
    Ricky Nolasco
    Brad Hand x2
    Sean West
    Tom Koehler
    Chris Hatcher
    Omar Poveda
    Steve Cishek
    Sandy Rosario
    Mike Dunn
    Wade LeBlanc
    Evan Reed
    Alex Sanabia
    Ryan Webb

Quote Originally Posted by J.P View Post
    Marlins Fan Fest today, all on cards:

Greg Dobbs x2
    Gaby Sanchez
    Chris Coghlan
    Kevin Mattison
    Matt Dominguez
    Scott Cousins
    Bryan Petersen
    Mark Buehrle
    Carlos Zambrano
    Ricky Nolasco
    Brad Hand x2
    Sean West
    Tom Koehler
    Chris Hatcher
    Omar Poveda
    Steve Cishek
    Sandy Rosario
    Mike Dunn
    Wade LeBlanc
    Evan Reed
    Alex Sanabia
    Ryan Webb
    Nice work.... Was Dobbs cool? Let me know if you want to trade one of them...
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    Nice work.... Was Dobbs cool? Let me know if you want to trade one of them...
    Didnt talk much to him, but he seemed that way............Let me think about it, I plan on going to their game this Saturday, if I get him again I'll trade one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by J.P View Post
    Didnt talk much to him, but he seemed that way............Let me think about it, I plan on going to their game this Saturday, if I get him again I'll trade one for sure.
    That would be cool - I'd like to add him to my collection.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

At the Yankees AAA/AA @ Phillies AAA/AAA games. All are 8 x 10s blowups of cards except one.

Scott Aldred: Bowman ’90, Pinnacle ’92
    Tim Kennelly: Action shot from 2011 IBAF World Cup. Kennelly played for Australia.
    Tommy Phelps: Upper Deck Rainbow 40 Man '03, Upper Deck SP '03
    Butch Wynegar: Donruss ’81, ’87. Wynegar said he liked seeing the cards blown up.

Edited to add: All signed with black Sharpie
    Last edited by SDL; 03-24-2012 at 01:13 PM.

At the Blue Jays AAA/AA @ Phillies AAA/AA game today. All are 8 x 10 blowups signed with black Sharpie.

Sal Fasano: Action shot of him as Lansing manager; Fleer '96. Added Biblical references.

Tug Hulett: Action screenshot from 2009 IBAF World Cup

B.J. Rosenberg: Action screenshot from 2009 IBAF World Cup. Both Rosenberg and Hulett were on the USA squad.
    Last edited by SDL; 03-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.

At the Tigers AA @ Blue Jays AA game today. All are 8 x 10 blowups signed with black Sharpie.

Ray Burris: Topps '78
    Chris Cron: Fleer Prospects '92, Score Rookie Prospect '92
    Jerry Martin: Donruss '81, Fleer '81, Topps '85
    Jon Nunnally: Fleer eX ‘01
    Scott Richmond: 2011 Pan Am Games action screenshot, action shot

I had brought what I THOUGHT was Nunnaly's '94 Pinnacle Rookie card. He told me that was Michael Tucker's pic on the card.

AAA teams were supposed to be there as well; they had moved that game to the main stadium instead.

At the Pirates AAA/AA @ Blue Jays AAA/AA game today. All are 8 x 10s signed in Black Sharpie.

Jeff Branson: Topps Olympic '88, Fleer Ultra Rookie '93, Upper Deck '93
    Tom Filer: Topps '87, '88, Donruss '90
    Jordy Mercer: 2011 Pan Am Games screenshot, 2011 Pan Am games action shots (2).
    Chad Mottola: Upper Deck Top Prospect '93, Fleer Ultra '97, Pinnacle Inside '97
    Jon Nunnally: Pacific Omega '98
    Bob Stanley: Donruss '81, '82, Fleer '82
    Last edited by SDL; 03-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDL View Post
    At the Blue Jays AAA/AA @ Phillies AAA/AA game today. All are 8 x 10 blowups signed with black Sharpie.

Sal Fasano: Action shot of him as Lansing manager; Fleer '96. Added Biblical references.

Tug Hulett: Action screenshot from 2009 IBAF World Cup

B.J. Rosenberg: Action screenshot from 2009 IBAF World Cup. Both Rosenberg and Hulett were on the USA squad.
    I met Sal Fasano a few years ago when he was with the Rockies in Spring Training. Very cool guy - he was super friendly and hung out with a few of us outside the park for a little while.
    WAR? Prove it!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast