View Poll Results: good deal

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 50.00%
  • No

    7 25.00%
  • Not sure

    7 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Montero for Pineda trade: good or bad?

  1. #26
    Do yesterdays mega contracts influence any thoughts on this trade? Both players are reasonable comps towards the high end. Solid/ace pitcher. High end hitter with little defensive value. Big difference in paydays.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    While hoping for Pujols is a bit much. Not impossible. But not likely. Still I think he will be a great hitter.

    We traded Jesus for Judas.

    Can that be Pineda's new nickname.
    I have heard concerns about monteros swing (called "unorthodox"). maybe this coul be a concern in the future when pitchers find holes in his swing that he cannot cover. not sure if this is true though.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I have heard concerns about monteros swing (called "unorthodox"). maybe this coul be a concern in the future when pitchers find holes in his swing that he cannot cover. not sure if this is true though.
    I think it is slightly inside out. Not unlike Jeter but with power. Just my recollection.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I have heard concerns about monteros swing (called "unorthodox"). maybe this coul be a concern in the future when pitchers find holes in his swing that he cannot cover. not sure if this is true though.
    Like I said in another post, after watching him like a stock he starts out fast then usually hits a bump in the road, but he eventually recovers. So there is an adjustment period to him by pitchers and then he readjusts to them.

    So to answer, yes pitcher seem to find a whole in his swing....but Montero eventually overcomes it.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647
    i just wish we kept Jesus Montero


    he's going to be the next Babe Ruth

  6. #31
    He wont be. At best a bit better hitting Jorge Posada, not that thats a easy thing to become.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647
    Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    He wont be. At best a bit better hitting Jorge Posada, not that thats a easy thing to become.
    last year he slugged .590


    Jorge could only dream to do that lol

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    i just wish we kept Jesus Montero


    he's going to be the next Babe Ruth
    LMAO? Really?

    I highly doubt in a pitcher's park like Seattle he will become a Babe Ruth. Much less if he starts mashing the ball...he will be pitched around right away. He has very little to no protection in the Mariner lineup.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
    LMAO? Really?

    I highly doubt in a pitcher's park like Seattle he will become a Babe Ruth. Much less if he starts mashing the ball...he will be pitched around right away. He has very little to no protection in the Mariner lineup.
    *gasp* You mean a 38 year old Ichiro is not enough protection????!!!?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,685
    I just read that Pineda is probably out until at least May! So how does this affect things? It sounds like tendonitis in his elbow which was affecting his velocity among other things.

    Of course Montero has gotten dinged up a little bit this spring as well, so we will still have to wait and see.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    I just read that Pineda is probably out until at least May! So how does this affect things? It sounds like tendonitis in his elbow which was affecting his velocity among other things.

    Of course Montero has gotten dinged up a little bit this spring as well, so we will still have to wait and see.
    Not at all. Trade was bad for Yanks. But one month is not the deciding factor.

  12. #37
    GEESH speak for yourself.....Pineda might have to camp not in top form but before we cry and whine that it was a bad trade...lets give Pineda a few starts much less a few seasons.

    I am sorry but the unbelievable attitude that Montero is a freaking HOFer before he even plays a full season is just insulting. Babe Ruth...LMAO...Now there have been some good bats in th elast decade and half that have only DHed....but I would still take 10 good years from a top #1 or #2 starting pitcher over David Ortiz or even Edgar Martinez. With interleague play and of course the World Series...it creates an issue much less if an older player or player with a slight injury can't DH to stay in the line up for their bat. I hope people here will at least admit....Montero was only going to DH. There was no plan for him to catch or play any other position. If he does with the Mariners...that is great.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    So I was only one of three to vote No. From the start I thought it was an awful trade, and so far it seems like it.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Not at all. Trade was bad for Yanks. But one month is not the deciding factor.
    If Jose Campos keeps pitching like he is, you might eat crow. It's way to early to say this trade was won by Seattle. Believe me, I hated this trade very much so when it happened and today I hate it even more since Pineda is on the DL with arm troubles.

    BTW, anyone check on Austin Jackson lately? Might just be that he's turning things around.


    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    So I was only one of three to vote No. From the start I thought it was an awful trade, and so far it seems like it.
    No on what? I hated the trade as well.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    No on what? I hated the trade as well.
    "No" in this poll. Only three voted "No" (meaning they didn't like the trade). 12 voted Yes, and 7 voted no. We're one of the three.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  16. #41
    And to be honest not even 20 games into the season...not even giving Pineda a season or two to show us something....shows how stupid any of you are to vote "No".

    Montero is a freaking DH. Do we really need a DH with aging players that still can produce? A few days set to the side for ARod and Jeter and even Tex is not a bad thing.

    I just don't get the lack of patience here. Am I the only one that won't jump off the roof of my house if the Yankees don't win it all in 2012? If they show something with the young pitching arms and build themselves for another multi-year title run like the late 90's I am fine with 2012 not being it. 2009 was nice but obviously there was still glaring holes in the team that hadn't been addressed until possibly this year.

    Offense is not really one of them. Much less offense is a dime a dozen. If you have pitching then you can trade for a need at the deadline or during the winter if not sign a free agent. We need pitching to compete against Texas and Detroit.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
    And to be honest not even 20 games into the season...not even giving Pineda a season or two to show us something....shows how stupid any of you are to vote "No".

    Montero is a freaking DH. Do we really need a DH with aging players that still can produce? A few days set to the side for ARod and Jeter and even Tex is not a bad thing.

    I just don't get the lack of patience here. Am I the only one that won't jump off the roof of my house if the Yankees don't win it all in 2012? If they show something with the young pitching arms and build themselves for another multi-year title run like the late 90's I am fine with 2012 not being it. 2009 was nice but obviously there was still glaring holes in the team that hadn't been addressed until possibly this year.

    Offense is not really one of them. Much less offense is a dime a dozen. If you have pitching then you can trade for a need at the deadline or during the winter if not sign a free agent. We need pitching to compete against Texas and Detroit.
    Dude..there's no need to call anyone 'stupid'. We are here to discuss or debate. Not everyone is going to agree and that's perfectly fine, but to resort to name calling cheapens your posts. Tone it down so you don't become 'that guy' to some people.

    You just started posting recently, I am one of the few here who doesn't think the world is going to end if the Yanks don't win. I'm perfectly okay with it, as long as they are developing their kids and giving them a chance. I prefer my players home grown, but am 100% Team ARod!

    Some of us did not like the trade. If we put up with Posada's stone hands for almost 20 years, Montero could NOT have been worse. I still say it's too early to call the trade a loss for the Yanks, I personally like how Campos is developing and Pineda has yet to be healthy. Campos might just be the prize in the trade.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
    And to be honest not even 20 games into the season...not even giving Pineda a season or two to show us something....shows how stupid any of you are to vote "No".

    Montero is a freaking DH. Do we really need a DH with aging players that still can produce? A few days set to the side for ARod and Jeter and even Tex is not a bad thing.

    I just don't get the lack of patience here. Am I the only one that won't jump off the roof of my house if the Yankees don't win it all in 2012? If they show something with the young pitching arms and build themselves for another multi-year title run like the late 90's I am fine with 2012 not being it. 2009 was nice but obviously there was still glaring holes in the team that hadn't been addressed until possibly this year.

    Offense is not really one of them. Much less offense is a dime a dozen. If you have pitching then you can trade for a need at the deadline or during the winter if not sign a free agent. We need pitching to compete against Texas and Detroit.
    The argument for trading Montero seems to be he doesn't have a position. I'd rather see Jeter and ARod take a day off and have a solid DH who can put up Frank Thomas/David Ortiz like numbers. Ortiz didn't drag the Red Sox down from 2004-2006 as a guy without a position did he???

    Jeter is hot now and hopefully has a good season but he doesn't walk a lot or have much power. Why put him at DH if you have someone whom you could put in your lineup with a much higher OPS? In my mind if the Yankees thought Montero he had a huge upside and the potential to put up All-Star numbers I would have kept him. If they thought last September was a flash like a Shane Spencer then his value had peaked and it was good they moved him.

    While everyone needs pitching unfortunately pitchers are more inconsistent from season to season and more prone to injuries. There are quite a few pitchers the Yankees have acquired in the last few decades who either didn't pan out or got hurt. I think there is more of a risk with Pineda than keeping Montero.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRLA1968 View Post
    And to be honest not even 20 games into the season...not even giving Pineda a season or two to show us something....shows how stupid any of you are to vote "No".

    Montero is a freaking DH. Do we really need a DH with aging players that still can produce? A few days set to the side for ARod and Jeter and even Tex is not a bad thing.

    I just don't get the lack of patience here. Am I the only one that won't jump off the roof of my house if the Yankees don't win it all in 2012? If they show something with the young pitching arms and build themselves for another multi-year title run like the late 90's I am fine with 2012 not being it. 2009 was nice but obviously there was still glaring holes in the team that hadn't been addressed until possibly this year.

    Offense is not really one of them. Much less offense is a dime a dozen. If you have pitching then you can trade for a need at the deadline or during the winter if not sign a free agent. We need pitching to compete against Texas and Detroit.
    You really have a lot of nerve calling the "No" voters in this thread stupid. What happens if he never pitches again? Then the "No" voters look like genius'.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    If Jose Campos keeps pitching like he is, you might eat crow. It's way to early to say this trade was won by Seattle. Believe me, I hated this trade very much so when it happened and today I hate it even more since Pineda is on the DL with arm troubles.

    BTW, anyone check on Austin Jackson lately? Might just be that he's turning things around.




    No on what? I hated the trade as well.
    Jackson is off to a hot start. We'll see. I always liked the potential but I don't mind Granderson.

    I just think with the trade that we have more pitching in the upper levels than hitting. And as I have said before Pineda just reminds me too much of Joba.

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by apbaball View Post
    The argument for trading Montero seems to be he doesn't have a position. I'd rather see Jeter and ARod take a day off and have a solid DH who can put up Frank Thomas/David Ortiz like numbers. Ortiz didn't drag the Red Sox down from 2004-2006 as a guy without a position did he???

    Jeter is hot now and hopefully has a good season but he doesn't walk a lot or have much power. Why put him at DH if you have someone whom you could put in your lineup with a much higher OPS? In my mind if the Yankees thought Montero he had a huge upside and the potential to put up All-Star numbers I would have kept him. If they thought last September was a flash like a Shane Spencer then his value had peaked and it was good they moved him.

    While everyone needs pitching unfortunately pitchers are more inconsistent from season to season and more prone to injuries. There are quite a few pitchers the Yankees have acquired in the last few decades who either didn't pan out or got hurt. I think there is more of a risk with Pineda than keeping Montero.


    Maybe. At 23 Montero can improve on his catching. He does have the ability to improve in all areas of his game. Once Pineda gets healthy again he can also improve, its not like they are set in their ways at both their young ages.

  22. #47
    while pineda is hurt montero is not doing too great either. this is no sample size but in 58 PA he only walked twice, but struck out 11 times, hitting .25 with a 77 OPS+. he is better than that of course but I'm not sure his 155 OPS+ of last years short stint was for real either.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Jackson is off to a hot start. We'll see. I always liked the potential but I don't mind Granderson.

    I just think with the trade that we have more pitching in the upper levels than hitting. And as I have said before Pineda just reminds me too much of Joba.
    I hated the Jackson trade, period. Yes, I'm at peace with Granderson but I think I would have preferred to keep Jackson.

    What gets my panties in a bunch about Pineda is that he came into came overweight. That bugs the hell out of me. He should have been encouraged to up his game now that he was going to the AL East! Instead he came in overweight, lost zip on his heat and then got hurt. Rarely does it fail to pan out that way, but at this point I'm very excited about Campos! I'm much more excited about Campos than Pineda and Campos is a couple years away!! (Yes, I am well aware that alot can happen from A Ball to the Bronx.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    It's official, he's out for the season.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=mlb_t2_a3
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,765
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    It's official, he's out for the season.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=mlb_t2_a3
    I read the report when it came out....the first words out of my mouth were, "Jesus Christ!" *SMH*
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •