Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1909 RFA and Free Agent Thread

1909 RFA and Free Agent Thread

Sunday March 1, 9 PM Eastern - RFA initial bids due
    Wednesday, Mar 4, 9 PM EST - Deadline for submitting RFA topping bids
    Friday March 6, 9 PM EST - Deadline for teams to match RFA bids
    Saturday March 7, 9 AM EST - Rookie Draft Clock Starts- draft thread will go up sooner and picks will be permitted as soon as it does.
    Wednesday, March 18th (9 PM EST): Rookie draft ends
    Monday, March 23rd (9:01 PM EST): free agent bidding begins
    Wednesday, March 25th (8PM EST): first bid list posted
    Wednesday, March 25th (9PM EST): 250K bid phase begins
    Thursday,March 26th (8PM EST): first phase signings announced
    Thursday, March 26th (9PM EST): 500K bid phase begins
    Friday, March 27th (8 PM EST): 500K phase ends
    Saturday, March 28th (9PM EST): 1M bid phase begins
    Sunday, March 29th (9PM EST): third phase signings announced
    Sunday, March 29th(10PM EST): Blind Bidding phase begins
    Wednesday, April 1st(10PM EST): Blind Bids Due. free signing period for any team under 30 begins once results are posted
    Saturday, April 4th(midnight EST): all teams must be at 30 or take cap penalty for vacant roster spaces
    Tuesday, April 7th(midnight EST): deadline for submitting Opening Day profile
    Wednesday, April 8th: Opening Day
    Last edited by rmadachik; 02-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Owners may begin placing their initial bids on their players who are eligible to become Restricted Free Agents. Please include salary and number of seasons
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

This really doesn't start until October?
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Three other questions? Schedule posted above talks about roster size of 30. I thought it was 35. Also, when does the RFA fit in? Are those bids completed before what?
    Think I might be confused?

Jack

Roster Size clarification by Rich in this thread: (Post #19)

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...fseason-thread
    "I propose to fight it out on this line, if it takes all summer." - US Grant
    http://https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/General_Ulysses_S._Grant.jpg

i copy and pasted the wrong schedule . . . it has been corected. rosters are at 35 max but owners can still have 30. 1910 is the first season where teams have to be at 35 players
    Last edited by rmadachik; 02-22-2015 at 05:24 PM.

I don't really understand why the team with the RFA would submit a bid? I mean why wouldn't everyone just submit the 250K because if it gets topped they get a chance to match so why would you bid more than that initially?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    I don't really understand why the team with the RFA would submit a bid? I mean why wouldn't everyone just submit the 250K because if it gets topped they get a chance to match so why would you bid more than that initially?
    mostly as a way of demonstrating that you want that player if nobody else bids on him. the 250k bid is a good way to do that, and since we are including number of seasons, it sets that standard so that the player is signed for that length if no other bid is made. its more for the lower level players than for the guys who will clearly be bid on. this is why we did not do the initial bid during the RFA in 1906 when there were 4 star players eligible. for those kind of players you are correct, there is no point in doing that.
    Last edited by rmadachik; 02-22-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Could you post a list of which players are RFA eligible? This is who my notes say, but I don't know how accurate my list is

Tom Jones
    Joe Tinker
    Heinie Wagner
    Bob Ewing
    Rube Vickers
    Addie Joss
    Jack Chesboro
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Could you post a list of which players are RFA eligible? This is who my notes say, but I don't know how accurate my list is

Tom Jones
    Joe Tinker
    Heinie Wagner
    Bob Ewing
    Rube Vickers
    Addie Joss
    Jack Chesboro
    I am sure he will post it once all the RFA initial bids are in. Doesn't make much sense to post it before if they aren't even eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    I am sure he will post it once all the RFA initial bids are in. Doesn't make much sense to post it before if they aren't even eligible.
    Giving people information sooner allows for planning by owners.

Plus in this case, there are two new owners who may not even know who their RFA eligible players are, to make an initial bid on.

I think I'm hopelessly confused. Perhaps I haven't been following the threads closely enough. Who's eligible for RFAs? What do present owners do if they want to retain one? What do other owners do if they want to bid? Who do we submit bids to- Rich? Or do we post them? Or are the bids blind? Is it a one time event, or are there "rounds"?

Sorry for my ignorance- I've had a lot going on recently and perhaps haven't followed things closely enough, but I guess I don't understand the procedure(s). I need a clearer roadmap.

I'm assuming that anyone who was drafted as a rookie in 1902 and remains on the drafting team today is RFA eligible. And that's it. Correct?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by dust bunnies View Post
    I'm assuming that anyone who was drafted as a rookie in 1902 and remains on the drafting team today is RFA eligible. And that's it. Correct?

Jack
    How about 1901, our first year? Our first round picks (maybe more) were for 8 years. Eddie Plank was on my team 1901-1908 and is now a free agent. I assume he's restricted- unfortunately, I don't really know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    How about 1901, our first year? Our first round picks (maybe more) were for 8 years. Eddie Plank was on my team 1901-1908 and is now a free agent. I assume he's restricted- unfortunately, I don't really know what that means.
    You may be right, Ron. I'm sure Rich will answer us in due time.

Jack

Rich will clarify if I'm incorrect but :

1. 1901 - 8 year drafts are not RFA eligible, per the 1907-08 off-season thread.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...n-thread/page4 Post #94

2. Section 3.A of rules for RFA: "Any player who has completed their initial rookie contract of 7 years (all with the team that holds his draft rights) will enter Restricted Free Agency." per rules section 3.C.3 (Rookie Draft): An owner holds a player’s RFA draft rights once they are drafted. Any transaction involving a drafted player that takes place before the end of the draft will also include the players RFA draft rights, and the receiving team will hold the matching rights to that player in the RFA after 7 seasons. Once the draft has completed – any trade involving a player will void their RFA draft rights, and they will become an un-restricted free agent after 7 seasons.

S
    Last edited by aleajactaest10044; 02-23-2015 at 12:48 PM.
    http://https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/General_Ulysses_S._Grant.jpg

RFA - this may have some inaccuracies:

Angels:
    SP - Addie Joss 3M (1902 Rookie Draft) 1908
    SP - Rube Vickers 1.5M (1902 Rookie Draft) 1908

Inmates:
    C - Phelps, Ed 1M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908

Spiders:
    1B Tom Jones 1.5M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908
    SS Joe Tinker 3M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908

Tigers:
    SP - Charlie Smith 0.5M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908

Grey Eagles:
    None

Kumquats:
    None

Sharks:
    None

Bums:
    2B - Johnny Evers 2M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908

Rams:
    SS - Heinie Wagner 0.5M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908

Pioneers:
    SP - Bob Ewing 3M (Rookie Draft 1902) 1908
    SP - Jack Chesbro 2M (RFA1906, 3 years) 1908

Only players who are drafted in a rookie draft are eligible for RFA status. We made a compromise during the initial 1901 draft that allowed players taken in the first 2 rounds to be eligible for RFA status IF the owners announced it at the time of the pick, and they could only be signed for 5 years at that time.

So this year, only players who were drafted in 1902 and are still on the team that drafted them are eligible for RFA status. (as well as players who were resigned as RFA's who's contract expired after 1908 (I believe Chesbro falls into this category)

To further clarify on a question regarding why we are having teams make their initial bids on their own RFA players - one big reason is for the team controlling the players rights has the opportunity to set some standards in the contract so that whatever bid is placed will be closer to the type of deal that they are looking to sign that player for.

For example. I hold the rights to Joe Tinker. If I just waited for other owners to bid and then matched the highest bid, i may get stuck with a lowball yet very short term contract. That may be what I want, but if it's not, I can bid 5 years at 3M per year, then I am more likely to be in position to be matching a longer term deal that I am looking for.

Also - Owners can publicly post here what their initial bids are. An owner who a=has PM'd me their bids please repost them here at their convenience.

Spiders RFA's

Joe Tinker - 5yr @ 3.5M/yr for a total of 17.5M contract value (remember, in topping and bids, owners can decrease the number of seasons, but the total of the contract must be at least 1M more)

Tom Jones - 2yr @ 1.5M/yr (3M total)

Topping bids will be a one time blind bidding. Owners will then have the opportunity to match those bids

So- all owners who want to attempt to retain the rights to their RFAs must first post publicly here, amount/yr, no. of yrs, total $. Then what happens? Anyone who wants to sign an RFA sends a blind bid to you with the same type of info?

If a current owner does not try to "protect" his RFA, the player then becomes an unrestricted FA and goes into the FA pool?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    So- all owners who want to attempt to retain the rights to their RFAs must first post publicly here, amount/yr, no. of yrs, total $. Then what happens? Anyone who wants to sign an RFA sends a blind bid to you with the same type of info?

If a current owner does not try to "protect" his RFA, the player then becomes an unrestricted FA and goes into the FA pool?
    Correct on all counts.

That is correct

Bob Ewing 250K/2-Yr

Anaheim Angels (soon to be re-named) RFA's

Addie Joss: 3.5MM- 1 year Contract
    -Steve

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast