Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 1901 - Present Keeper League Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    If you're short one perhaps Jack would reconsider and become an owner as well. It just wouldn't seem the same without Jack anyway. I'm only one voice, but IMHO I certainly trust you to pick the draft orders.
    I strongly second this! Jack would make a worthy and welcomed addition to the league.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Anaheim Angels for me please
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    I strongly second this! Jack would make a worthy and welcomed addition to the league.
    I agree. Jack may need a little convincing though.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

I think I will go with the Tennessee Pioneers

There is now a Past 2 Present Keeper League Sub-forum set up here on Baseball-fever

http://www.baseball-fever.com/forumd...-Keeper-League

we will do all the rest of the league business there.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

I might have missed it but during this initial draft are the players under a 7 year rookie contract or is it different since this is the inaugural draft?

the salary breakdown is in the 1901 offseason thread. it also includes contract length

My fault I totally misread that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    http://www.wix.com/rmadachik/p2pkl

Here is where the league website will be located. I have just begun working on it so its got a ways to go, but I do have a spreadsheet posted there with all park factors if anyone is interested in scouting them out. We will be using parks from the year that we are simming, and teams will have the option of changing stadiums once per decade.

Special thanks to Lew since some people may notice some simularities to his CKL site. Hopefully he doesn't have it copyrighted. If he does then any similarities are purely coincidental.
    Link didn't work.

League rules have been posted on the league site. For those members of CKL the rules are the same except for those that are highlited.
    The rules you have posted in the other thread here weren't updated for our league.

I'm still thinking of a city/team name. I may just default to what I usually use, but I'm trying to think of something else.

try the link again ... i was editing the site

Very nice looking page Rich! I like it a lot.

Couple of quick points and/or questions:

1. Regarding parks, will a team taking a 1901 park inherit the "next generation" park for that park's original team? That is, if someone takes the Huntington Avenue grounds for the Red Sox for 1901, will they inherit Fenway in 1912? (Very nice ballpark factor chart, incidentally. Excellent work!)
    2. Rule 1C - That was a misunderstanding on my part originally. If someone makes roster moves on their end it won't corrupt the DM file. I've done it in the CKL and SCML. It can make things easier for the commissioner, but it depends on how you feel about it. Just wanted to let you know that it won't mess up the database.
    3. Regarding players who exceed PT limits, I would suggest that under your system of simming (10 games per sim) that a player exceeding the limit still be permitted to play in the post season, because the level of control will drop dramatically from Mark's simming of three games each day. Maybe set a limit of mandatory farming at 120% and a limit of 130% for ineligibility for post season play; that would leave a little leeway for those extra games per sim.
    4. I like the playoff rule.
    5. Will you still have Premium Free Agents with the Restricted Free Agency rule? It seems like most of them would be gone one way or another under the RFA rule. Not sure, just wondering.
    6. Do you want to RFA before or after the rookie draft? BTW, I like the RFA rule. Adds interest and a "fog of war" as it were.
    7. Regarding rookie draft, do you want the bottom two teams from each division to make up the four teams in the lottery pool, or the worst four teams to make it up? Theoretically, with inter league play, the three (or I suppose even four) worst teams could be from the same division.

Just some thoughts and suggestions. You've done a tremendous job so far. Looking forward to it.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Regarding parks ... teams will have the first dibs at the next generation of their ballpark as they upgrade.

Gotcha on teams picking up players. for consistency sake we will keep it as is where al transactions will be done by me via messages on the season threads

good Idea on the playing time rule. We will allow for overages that take place within a sim to still be eligible for playoff rosters.

Restricted free agency will be a one offer deal. I will submit a list of players for restricted free agency. every owner will have the opportunity to place one blind bid for that player to also include years (up to 5). that players owner will have the opportunity to match the highest offer or lose him to the highest bidder.

RFA will take place before the rookie draft,

the regular free agency will apply to players who are not eligible for RFA. RFA pretty much replaces the HTD rule. Traded players and former fee agents will fall under the normal fee agent guidelines

I am inclined to have the bottom 2 from each division being eligible for the lottery but of all these rules this one I can be more easily swayed on.

Regarding parks ... teams will have the first dibs at the next generation of their ballpark as they upgrade.

Gotcha on teams picking up players. for consistency sake we will keep it as is where al transactions will be done by me via messages on the season threads

good Idea on the playing time rule. We will allow for overages that take place within a sim to still be eligible for playoff rosters.

Restricted free agency will be a one offer deal. I will submit a list of players for restricted free agency. every owner will have the opportunity to place one blind bid for that player to also include years (up to 5). that players owner will have the opportunity to match the highest offer or lose him to the highest bidder.

RFA will take place before the rookie draft,

the regular free agency will apply to players who are not eligible for RFA. RFA pretty much replaces the HTD rule. Traded players and former fee agents will fall under the normal fee agent guidelines

I am inclined to have the bottom 2 from each division being eligible for the lottery but of all these rules this one I can be more easily swayed on.
    Rich - Thanks for the clarifications.
    I think the one you could most easily be swayed on was the usage issue, since you already agreed to it.

I kind of forgot about the traded guys, so I understand why you have both the RFA and the regular one.

I would still prefer to see the worst four teams go into the lottery, but I would guess that at least 75% of the time that will be the two worst from each division anyway. No big deal for me either way on this. I just figured the worst four need the most help, although that isn't always the case because of, say, an incredibly strong team in one division beating down everybody in that division. In such a case you might have a couple teams in said division with poor records who actually have better players than the third or fourth place team in the other weaker division.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

So all rookie contracts have to be exactly 7 years now?

For the Restricted Free Agents - I assume we bid on one at a time? It seems like it would be way too problematic to do simultaneously, but how do we figure out a fair way to do it one player at a time? And how do we stop it from taking 6 years if we do it one at a time?

Salaries for rookies need to be higher. A team should not be able to have the first 7 years of Albert Pujols career for a measly 3 mill a year.

This part
    5) Preliminary bidding runs for 48 hours with 250k bid increments; then
    a) first official list of bids is posted - if not topped (still 250K) within 24 hours those players are signed
    b) New free agent list is posted - if not topped at increments of 500K those players are signed
    c) New free agent list is posted - if not topped in 24 hours at increments of 1M those players are signed
    d) Live bidding on all remaining players. Bidding increments remain at 1m, but bidding is closed on any players who don't have their bid topped within 10 minutes
    confuses me.

Can Franchise Players receive that designation at ANY time after their 4th season? Or does it have to be right after?
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    So all rookie contracts have to be exactly 7 years now?

For the Restricted Free Agents - I assume we bid on one at a time? It seems like it would be way too complicated to do simultaneously, but how do we figure out a fair way to do it one player at a time?

Salaries for rookies need to be higher. A team should not be able to have the first 7 years of Albert Pujols career for a measly 3 mill a year.

This part

confuses me.

Can Franchise Players receive that designation at ANY time after their 4th season? Or does it have to be right after?
    I might be able to help out here because these rules come directly from CKL. Rich, if I mess it up please correct my mistake.

Franchise players can be designated any time up to their fourth year, but of course it goes without saying that there would be no advantage to designating one earlier because they you would have to pay the higher salary that much sooner. In CKL it has to be done after the fourth season but prior to the beginning of the fifth season, so there is a rather limited window available. I would also suggest doing it prior to the RFA process, since then you would know how much cap space you had left. Then again, you might want to wait until after the RFA so you would know how much you had left. I don't believe (although I could be wrong) that it has to be done at any certain point, though, other than before the final rosters are set for the following season. Rich may wish to set a definite deadline though.

In regards to the FA auction, I think it is a bit confusing because Rich didn't indicate any time frames for the bidding. This is set by the commissioner, so is somewhat discretionary, but let me go through how the process will work this off season in the CKL, with time frames added. (BTW, I think Rich left out one step of the process as well, but perhaps that is how he intends to run the FA auction, eliminating one of the steps we use in the CKL.)

5) Preliminary bidding runs for 48 hours with 250k bid increments; then
    Our bidding begins at 9PM on Friday Feb. 24th. During this time period, you can bid on any player, with a minimum starting bid of 250K, and minimum 250K to increase a prior bid on the same player.

a) first official list of bids is posted - if not topped (still 250K) within 24 hours those players are signed
    At 8 PM Monday Feb. 24, after this initial period of bidding, the bidding will stop for a short time, usually an hour, say from 8PM to 9PM Monday. The commissioner and/or assistant (I do it in the CKL) will post a list of any player that has received an offer, along with the current bid on each player. This gets posted, and bidding then begins again. PLEASE NOTE that at this point in the CKL process, the bidding increment is still 250K. This will continue for 23 hours, or until 8PM on Tuesday Feb. 25th. At 8 PM on the 25th, the bidding stops for this first signing round. ANY PLAYER WHO HAS RECEIVED NO ADDITIONAL BIDS FROM MONDAY 9PM TO TUESDAY AT 8PM IS SIGNED BY THE LAST TEAM TO POST A BID FOR THAT PLAYER. Any player who received an additional bid since 9PM Monday OR any player receiving their first bid during this round, go on to the next pool.

b) New free agent list is posted - if not topped at increments of 500K those players are signed
    These would be all of the players not signed after the first signing phase. This phase begins at 9PM Tuesday Feb., and runs until 8PM Wednesday. The bid increment increases to 500K minimum. At 8PM Wednesday, the bidding again stops. Just as in Signing Phase one, any player that has not received an additional bid since 9PM Tuesday is signed by the last bidding team. Also again, any players receiving additional bids or any newly bid players during the round go on to the next phase.

c) New free agent list is posted - if not topped in 24 hours at increments of 1M those players are signed
    This phase starts at 9PM Wednesday and runs to 8PM Thursday. Minimum bid increase goes up to 1M. At 8PM Thursday, same as before: any player with no new bids goes to the bidding team; any players receiving additional bids or newly bid players this round go to the live bidding round.

d) Live bidding on all remaining players. Bidding increments remain at 1m, but bidding is closed on any players who don't have their bid topped within 10 minutes
    Kind of self explanatory. The bidding is now live (or as live as it can be on BBF). Minimum bid is 1M; any player not receiving a new bid for 10 minutes goes to the last bidding team.

Hope that helps. You might want to try and keep an eye on the CKL FA auction this off season to see how it actually works in action.

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    Franchise players can be designated any time up to their fourth year, but of course it goes without saying that there would be no advantage to designating one earlier because they you would have to pay the higher salary that much sooner. In CKL it has to be done after the fourth season but prior to the beginning of the fifth season, so there is a rather limited window available. I would also suggest doing it prior to the RFA process, since then you would know how much cap space you had left. Then again, you might want to wait until after the RFA so you would know how much you had left. I don't believe (although I could be wrong) that it has to be done at any certain point, though, other than before the final rosters are set for the following season. Rich may wish to set a definite deadline though.
    So if I want to designate a player as my Franchise player, but his 4th year happens in say 1917, that means I can't have any Franchise player from 1911-1916, correct?

Also, do players we select in 1901 count as "rookies" for purposes of being Franchise players?

In regards to the FA auction, I think it is a bit confusing because Rich didn't indicate any time frames for the bidding. This is set by the commissioner, so is somewhat discretionary, but let me go through how the process will work this off season in the CKL, with time frames added. (BTW, I think Rich left out one step of the process as well, but perhaps that is how he intends to run the FA auction, eliminating one of the steps we use in the CKL.)

Our bidding begins at 9PM on Friday Feb. 24th. During this time period, you can bid on any player, with a minimum starting bid of 250K, and minimum 250K to increase a prior bid on the same player.

At 8 PM Monday Feb. 24, after this initial period of bidding, the bidding will stop for a short time, usually an hour, say from 8PM to 9PM Monday. The commissioner and/or assistant (I do it in the CKL) will post a list of any player that has received an offer, along with the current bid on each player. This gets posted, and bidding then begins again. PLEASE NOTE that at this point in the CKL process, the bidding increment is still 250K. This will continue for 23 hours, or until 8PM on Tuesday Feb. 25th. At 8 PM on the 25th, the bidding stops for this first signing round. ANY PLAYER WHO HAS RECEIVED NO ADDITIONAL BIDS FROM MONDAY 9PM TO TUESDAY AT 8PM IS SIGNED BY THE LAST TEAM TO POST A BID FOR THAT PLAYER. Any player who received an additional bid since 9PM Monday OR any player receiving their first bid during this round, go on to the next pool.

These would be all of the players not signed after the first signing phase. This phase begins at 9PM Tuesday Feb., and runs until 8PM Wednesday. The bid increment increases to 500K minimum. At 8PM Wednesday, the bidding again stops. Just as in Signing Phase one, any player that has not received an additional bid since 9PM Tuesday is signed by the last bidding team. Also again, any players receiving additional bids or any newly bid players during the round go on to the next phase.

This phase starts at 9PM Wednesday and runs to 8PM Thursday. Minimum bid increase goes up to 1M. At 8PM Thursday, same as before: any player with no new bids goes to the bidding team; any players receiving additional bids or newly bid players this round go to the live bidding round.
    So these are all blind bids? And we have to make bids on every player simultaneously? So I might end up winning 3 shortstops accidentally?

Kind of self explanatory. The bidding is now live (or as live as it can be on BBF). Minimum bid is 1M; any player not receiving a new bid for 10 minutes goes to the last bidding team.
    This might be a problem, since I'm in a drastically different time zone than most of you.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.

every team can have one player per decade. that means that each team can have one player who they drafted between 1901-1909 as a franchise player, and one player drafted between 1910- and so on. In your example Wade.. . a player drafted in 1913 could be eligible for franchise designation in 1917. you could not have another franchise player whose rookie season was in the 1910's

regarding the free agent auction The time frames will be flexible so as to allow for time zones and such. Also, the final round will not be live but rather will be a blind bidding. I hope that makes sense. any ties in the blind biding will go to the team who previously had the highest bid. I really like our live bidding but I agree that getting everyone on board is difficult and it's an important phase in free agency.

The initial draft of 1901 players are not rookies and will not be eligible for franchise players.

That certainly can make an interesting (and difficult) dynamic. You have a really good player, but there's a significantly better player who debuts in a couple years - but you don't know if you'll end up with that better player on your team.

I'm still not entirely clear how we'll handle the auction. It sounds like each team will submit bids on every player they're interested in at once? Let's say I need a SS, and there are 3 I might be interested in. If I bid on all 3, I might get stuck with more SS than I wanted. If I only bid on the one I want most, I have to bid on him even if his price goes higher than I wanted, or else I won't have a SS.

I assume if a player was a rookie in 1901 they can be a franchise player?

Only players who are drafted in the rookie draft are considered rookies, and we are not doing a seperate rookie draft in 1901. you arent stuck with a guy in the franchise player position either. you could always release or trade him. and if you end up drafting a player better than your current fanchise player that decade you would have 4 years to figure out how to deal with it.

Regarding the free agent auction. I would suggest as lew has to watch our CKL free agent auction so you can get a good idea on how it works. in your shortstop example you are right ... to an extent. absolutely you could get stuck with 3 shortstops but thats somewhat unlikely unless you overbid on all of them. and you certainly could get stuck if you don't have a backup plan ...Just like in real life MLB free agency. the key is having a plan and a good backup plan. I think you will find that's a big key to running a successful franchise here. last year, for example, my Beavers team needed a third baseman and I set my sights on Darrell Evans, but some dirty no good rotten owner who shall remain nameless Jay = bid him out of my price range so I had to regroup and in the end i overpaid a bit for Nettles but I had no better options at 3rd.

Piggybacking on Wade's questions and the answers given, I have a couple of more questions:

1. How often does the bidding get to the "live" portion in CKL?

2. Are you saying that I can name a franchise player and then non-tender him and name another at any time within the decade? Let me use a hypothetical. I draft a great rookie in 1901 and before the start of the 1905 name him my franchise player. I pay him $12M per year for as long as I want to keep him. In 1910, I draft another great rookie. Fast forward to the 1913-14 pre-season. My 1901 franchise player is still an active player but is fading. I want to name my 1910 rookie as my franchise player to cap his salary at $12M. I can non-tender (or effectively cut) my old franchise player and name the 1910 rookie my new franchise player?
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast