Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Astros owner may change name of team

New Astros owner may change name of team

Maybe last season ever for the ASTROS

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/74...uniform-change
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

As mentioned, Astros pays homage to the Astrodome and the space program, even if those things aren't around anymore, I still don't see a reason to change it. If they're debating on simply keeping the name Astros or reverting back to the Colt .45's, that's fine, but if it's going to be a new (probably generic) name, then it's dumb.

Also, they should stay in the NL!

How about the Houston Comets?

The Brewers should have moved back to the American League but they have friends in high places.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

I know the 'Stros have never won a World Series, but is the franchise that disposable that it would be "not that big a deal" to their fan base to dump their 47-year history as the ASTROS and adopt a completely new identity?

The owner used the analogy that they already changed names once before, but 3 years as the Colts is not quite the same as 47 years as the Astros, is it?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    I know the 'Stros have never won a World Series, but is the franchise that disposable that it would be "not that big a deal" to their fan base to dump their 47-year history as the ASTROS and adopt a completely new identity? The owner used the analogy that they already changed names once before, but 3 years as the Colts is not quite the same as 47 years as the Astros, is it?
    I don't live in the Houston area, but it seems unlikely to me that changing the team nickname will alienate the fan base, lowering attendance and television ratings. Making a change like this will probably result in an increase in the sale of apparel with the team name, just as changing the colors inspires people to buy the up-to-date clothing. This is especially likely if the new nickname is something that resonates with young baseball fans in east Texas, rather than something generic. Once the team wins its first World Series with the new name, the nostalgia for the old name will fade, as it did years ago for fans of the Highlanders, Robins, and Beaneaters.

New Astros owner considering name change

Reported this morning:

"New Astros owner Jim Crane says he is considering changing the name of the franchise as well as it's uniforms when Houston makes the move to the American League West in 2013"

What new name do you think would be good for an AL Houston Team?

Horrible idea. Astros is a fine name.

Of course they'll never get away with returning to Colt 45s...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    As mentioned, Astros pays homage to the Astrodome and the space program, even if those things aren't around anymore, I still don't see a reason to change it. If they're debating on simply keeping the name Astros or reverting back to the Colt .45's, that's fine, but if it's going to be a new (probably generic) name, then it's dumb.
    Something tells me they're not going to revert to the Colt .45s. So, I agree it's dumb to consider changing the name.

Also, they should stay in the NL!
    Well, we know that's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    How about the Houston Comets?

The Brewers should have moved back to the American League but they have friends in high places.
    Actually, the primary reason it's the Astros and not the Brewers is that the AL West needs a team in order to help create six five-team divisions. The Brewers wouldn't be a good choice for a West Division team.

Either way, although it wouldn't ruin my life, I hope they don't change their name.
    Put it in the books.

As much as I hate breaking with tradition, it already feels like the Astros as we know them will be dead once they go to the American League. Perhaps a name change wouldn't be altogether inappropriate. Of course, I don't have any better suggestions.

I'm definitely in favor of new uniforms, however. I've never cared for the ones they currently sport.
    Last edited by ian2813; 01-24-2012 at 08:46 AM.

I never liked the name Astros but my dislike for throwing away tradition is greater. I hope they stay the Astros.

What's wrong with Astros? It's one of the more clever names out there, and it's location-appropriate in two ways -- not just because the space program is headquartered in Houston, but also because "astro" means "star," which is fitting for a team in the Lone Star State. Crane changing the name after forcing the team to switch leagues would literally be adding insult to injury.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

I think the key word with the name change is "considering". Crane's already in an edgy situation with the impending league change. If he completely destroys the legacy of the Astros with a name change, there will be hell to pay form the fans.

I'd love it if they changed their uniforms. The current ones are okay, but they've run their course a litlte bit.

Blog Entries
    What will it be? Another animal?
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    What will it be? Another animal?
    Cougars! :P

They should come up with a new name.
    My vote would be the Longhorns

As of 5/11/12 3610 Autographs and Growing!! 3117 of which are Baseball!
    105 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
    http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
    Check out my new Blog
    www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

I don't exactly understand the disdain for changing tradition. Baseball is full of name changes, and it's not like the Astros have a big legacy to back them up. They've been a relatively low provider of baseball culture.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the Houston Colts. Not gonna happen...
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    I don't exactly understand the disdain for changing tradition. Baseball is full of name changes, and it's not like the Astros have a big legacy to back them up. They've been a relatively low provider of baseball culture.

That's a version of Colt .45s that would work actually. Colt 45s wouldn't of course, due to the malt liquor and pistol angle.

Houston Colts....I like it.

They say change is good. Not always.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Astros" is synonymous with Houston's history as one of the centers of United States space exploration and the world's first domed stadium. I'd say that's pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    it already feels like the Astros as we know them will be dead once they go to the American League.
    What difference does it really make what league they're in? That seems like a very arbitrary distinction. (So one league has a DH and one doesn't. Big deal. In the end, it's all the same.)
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I don't understand the desire of late, by everyone to want to change the game. It's the greatest game in the world. Why does it need so damn many changes? It's driving me crazy and I hate it.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    That's a version of Colt .45s that would work actually. Colt 45s wouldn't of course, due to the malt liquor and pistol angle.

Houston Colts....I like it.

Although I absolutely adore the ole 45's logo and name . . . I would say . . . change it to the "Astros" . . . (they'll never notice ;-)
    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

If, in the name of Political Correctness, the Washington Wizards can no longer use the name Bullets, I can't imagine Houston reviving the Colt .45s.

How about the Houston Knights?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    If, in the name of Political Correctness, the Washington Wizards can no longer use the name Bullets, I can't imagine Houston reviving the Colt .45s.
    So the association of "Wizards" with the Klu Klux Klan is politically correct?

stevegallanter.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast