Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Astros owner may change name of team

They can change their name and their uniforms, but they can't hide.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

How about the Houston 95/100s? (temperature/humidity)
    Houston Refiners?
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    That's a version of Colt .45s that would work actually. Colt 45s wouldn't of course, due to the malt liquor and pistol angle.

Houston Colts....I like it.

I agree--

The Astros SHOULD stay the Astros, perfectly fine name, they've been in the league as long as my beloved and beleaguered Mets...there's history attached to that name.

Not as much, perhaps, if they'd WON some of those pennants and that WS against the White Sox, but hey--

Then Mets and Sox fans everwhere would be a bit sadder.

That being said, given the Colt .45 history, and the fact they're changing leagues..."Houston Colts" isn't a bad name at all.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

I wonder what the reaction from the NFL and Jim Irsay would be about a name change to the Colts? Same with the University of Houston and Cougars name mentioned earlier in the thread. There are obviously some teams in the NFL and MLB who share names but those names go back to nearly the start, if not the start of the leagues.
    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggtone23 View Post
    I wonder what the reaction from the NFL and Jim Irsay would be about a name change to the Colts? Same with the University of Houston and Cougars name mentioned earlier in the thread. There are obviously some teams in the NFL and MLB who share names but those names go back to nearly the start, if not the start of the leagues.
    If the Sacramento Kings move to Anaheim, they will be called the Royals.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    I hope it's not Colts. I don't want the list of shared names in pro sports to get longer.

Rangers, Kings, Panthers, Giants, Jets, Cardinals. If the Kings (NBA) move to Anaheim, then the name Royals will be shared with the KC Royals. I'm surprised that the most overused name in college sports, Tigers, is only represented by one team in the pros.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

^ Detroit
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ Detroit
    I know. I edited it. But what I truly meant was multiple pro teams using that name. Doesn't the SEC alone have two schools that are nicknamed "Tigers"?
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Except for their original name "Colt 45s", all these team name ideas for the Astros are dopey.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    I know. I edited it. But what I truly meant was multiple pro teams using that name. Doesn't the SEC alone have two schools that are nicknamed "Tigers"?
    Two at the moment with a third one coming...
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Blog Entries
    I'm fine with their current nickname, despite the opportunity for people to add an extra S next to the first one, or stick an L at the beginning. Lastros hits hard these days. But I can handle a name change. I'd prefer to keep it as is, but I'm not one to get worked up over tradition. The nickname connects to their old home, the Astrodome. Since they play in Minute Maid Park now, how about loading the players up with PEDs and calling them the Juicers?

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    I'm fine with their current nickname, despite the opportunity for people to add an extra S next to the first one, or stick an L at the beginning. Lastros hits hard these days. But I can handle a name change. I'd prefer to keep it as is, but I'm not one to get worked up over tradition. The nickname connects to their old home, the Astrodome. Since they play in Minute Maid Park now, how about loading the players up with PEDs and calling them the Juicers?
    You'd have to change your user name here, of course.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Man Houston doesnt even have good old minor league team names to go to: Buffaloes/Buffs, Eagles, Wanderers, Magnolias, Mud Cats and Red Stockings
    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Man Houston doesnt even have good old minor league team names to go to: Buffaloes/Buffs, Eagles, Wanderers, Magnolias, Mud Cats and Red Stockings
    Those are dreadful.

Why not go with the Oilers?
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

How about Lone Stars?
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    Two at the moment with a third one coming...
    Who? Clemson?

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
    that's a good idea
    when they were the colt 45's they play in colt stadium
    they became the astros, when they move into the astrodome
    and now their nickname can be the juicers since they play in minute maid park

but since the stadium is located at what was union station for locomotives
    and it has a train on top of its left field wall,
    I would go with the houston railroads, or houston locomotives (loco for short)

heck the city seal and flag features a railroad

I would stay away from houston trains it just doesn't sound right
    and since the stadium name can and has change,
    I would NOT go with the stadium name past, present or future
    nor houston (we have a problem)
    Last edited by drdg; 01-26-2012 at 04:29 PM.

how about the houston locos
    as that crazy for changing their name

railroads or locomotive makes sense for a new name
    since the stadium is located at what was once houston's union station
    and the stadium pays respect to houston's past history of having many railroads

in the past their name was the colt 45's and play at colt stadium
    and then the name was change to astros when they play at the astrodome
    however by changing the name to MM for MMP would not be appropriate
    as the name for this stadium can and has change

Well, the backlash has been swift and clear. The Astros Facebook page has been slammed with pissed off fans voicing their opinions.

Local Houston media polls put the disapproval of a name change at around 80%.
    - Walt Whitman

The backlash has been swift and clear over the last few days. The Astros Facebook page and team email has been slammed with pissed off fans voicing their opinions.

- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    The backlash has been swift and clear over the last few days. The Astros Facebook page and team email has been slammed with pissed off fans voicing their opinions.

So I guess there's about an 80% chance of Crane changing the name.

Quote Originally Posted by underpressure View Post
    who? Clemson?
    m i z

z o u
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    So I guess there's about an 80% chance of Crane changing the name.
    They need to change their players, is what they need to do.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

I say they should call themselves the Rustlers. A good "old west" name that harkens back to the wild days of the late 19th century. The Astro name was good, but it "jumped the shark" the day they went away from the rainbow warrior uniforms, and it should be left in the National League (the franchise itself should remain in the NL, but that's another story) Rustlers would be the "fresh start" of moving into the AL after 50 years of NL play. Besides the "Rangers vs Rustlers" rivalry goes back a long way
    LETS GO BUCS!!

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    that's a good idea
    when they were the colt 45's they play in colt stadium
    they became the astros, when they move into the astrodome
    and now their nickname can be the juicers since they play in minute maid park
    What should their name have been when their ballpark was called Enron Field?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast